Yeah.. The New Amplifier Pane Needs to Go.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

antivirius blocked the site, with a massive warning...

Ah, it's non-malicious - just a (deliberate) example of terrible 90s websites with spinning gifs, guestbook, under construction notices etc etc - just your standard 90s GeoCities website. It's probably set off your AV's "OMG - kill this abomination with fire" filter ;)

There's only a little HTML and other than the usual Google nonsense js on there a script to play some 90s MIDI music. You can use it to turn modern pages into 1990s horrors. If it sets anyone else's off I'll replace the link with a static image :)

Edited by Fluffometer

Throwing my voice in here too (I rarely do): that Amplifier list needs to go.

I probably will get used to the new character window, but the Amplifiers were just fine where they were: easy to ignore and unbobtrusive.

It's just a credit sink for the richest players and a toy for the most ardent min-maxers anyway.

Why would I want this covering half my screen. (1080p btw) Seems to make the presumption that the only reason I have to open my character window is to roll amps, which I never do from equipped gear, always from my inventory. The (im)practical effect is that it makes it so you cant really see to navigate while the character window is open now and you can't see your toon while trying outfits while the character window is open. At least make this new "tab" collapsible. I mean really, how often do I roll amps that I need this open at all times the character window is open.

Edit: Well I guess it closes while you have an outfit tab selected. Problem with that is when trying new outfits I usually build them from the main equipment tab, well... because that doesn't cost anything to keep swapping pieces out until I find a combination I like.

Yes it needs to be made smaller and put back as a separate collapsible window

Has anybody else noticed that when you switch between the Character sheet and the Companion/Ship sheets, the window actually moves? That is just a bad feeling UI-wise to have the entire window shift over when switching tabs. I know plenty of feedback was given on this and Bioware promptly ignored all of it, but this is much worse than I expected. This was a change that didn't need to be made that significantly worsens the character sheet UI.

Unfortunately, given their utter silence and refusal to make any further tweaks to the new social pane UI, I think this is just something we'll have to deal with. They've made it clear they don't intend to listen to any feedback on the UI elements no matter how ill received they are.

One of the more annoying things us Forum Warriors (as some would call us) do is quantify what percentage of the player base agrees / disagrees with us when we have no idea.

I think it is fair to say in this case, however, there is more than a consensus view that this change without the option to collapse it is unwelcome almost to the point of universality.

I have no doubt there are some players who like it, but I have yet to meet one player (uh oh, I'm asking for it) who doesn't think we should have the option to collapse it.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty the Forum Warrior

Edited by Jdast

I can just see them respond to this by making it possible to collapse it.. but having to do it again on every login--or perhaps even every time the character sheet is opened.

This isn't exactly an accident anymore. They want things to be in our face and are not being subtle about it.

Has anybody else noticed that when you switch between the Character sheet and the Companion/Ship sheets, the window actually moves? That is just a bad feeling UI-wise to have the entire window shift over when switching tabs. I know plenty of feedback was given on this and Bioware promptly ignored all of it, but this is much worse than I expected. This was a change that didn't need to be made that significantly worsens the character sheet UI.

Unfortunately, given their utter silence and refusal to make any further tweaks to the new social pane UI, I think this is just something we'll have to deal with. They've made it clear they don't intend to listen to any feedback on the UI elements no matter how ill received they are.

Amateur hour. Poorly designed. All the feed back on this was given on the PTS which was promptly ignored.

BioWare, why do you even put stuff on the PTS and ask for feed back if you are going to ignore all the feed back? And you wonder why people have stopped testing for you.

I can just see them respond to this by making it possible to collapse it.. but having to do it again on every login--or perhaps even every time the character sheet is opened.

This isn't exactly an accident anymore. They want things to be in our face and are not being subtle about it.

Probably !!

Let me ask a few things:

** What has been the general consensus about the "New Amplifiers"?

** How many people are making good use of them?

** Sooo how is that credit sink working ?

** Next stop: what happens if we are not using them 1 year from now?

IMO ... the amplifier as concept was a good one (and still is). Unfortunately, however, as it was implemented and the "mechanics" surrounding how to make them work (tons of credits wasted on RNG) was never going to work.

This point as well as the new UI (which includes the "new amplifier" PAGE was discussed in PTS long before the release.

This point is directly related to the OP statement as well as the possible future of the amplifiers.

** Please make the new UI better (more like the old one) !!

** Please make the new amplifier page "collapsible" !!

** Please continue to make adjustments in the proper application of the amplifier less about RNG and more about the benefit that it CAN be !

I'm not trying to be rude ... but good grief ! This whole thing could have been avoided !!

I can only repeat what I already said in another thread a month or so ago regarding the new character-window:

1) Make the amplifier-List collapsable/hideable

2) We need the second stat-panell back asap

Now, fully implemented, it looks even worse than I thougth. My first thought upon seeing it was "What is that for a monstrosity?"

- Takes up to much screen

- The character-puppet is too big, too prominent, just too blatant. (Not even the caracter puppet in the preview-window is that large and for a good reason)

- The puppets background looks like it was taken straight out of Windows NT/95

- The fact that the character puppet in the character sheet has a rather pixelated graphic at the edges because of how zoomed in it is doesn't help the Windows NT/95 feel (yes, I'm playing on highest graphic setting)

- Did I mention the non-collabsible amplifier-window?

- Or the fact that the new window takes up 2/3 of the screen? (1080p too btw)

Edit: yeah, I'm well aware that simplifying designs (and robbing them off anything that made them unique and distinct) seemed to be the (worse and worse) go-for right now, but please at last try to keep the UI functional if you're already insisting on redesigning (and in the process taking away what made swtors UI so distinct) what already was a very good UI.

((Btw does somebody know why one keeps getting logged out as soon as one moves to the forum but staying logged in into ones account at the same time? Had to edit this from mobile as two different browsers refused to show me as logged in at the forum))

Edited by Gamemaron

I - The character-puppet is too big, too prominent, just too blatant. (Not even the caracter puppet in the preview-window is that large and for a good reason)

[....]

- Or the fact that the new window takes up 2/3 of the screen? (1080p too btw)

With the amplifier window is now covering our chars on 1080p, I guess they concluded that the "character-puppet" needs to be larger, so we see the gear we're putting on....

BW could have revamped the character sheet, and moved the amplifiers to the place where the second stat window was, or simply made the current amplifiers a selection for the stat windows.

We're used to BW asking for Feedback on the PTS and then blatantly ignoring, it, but this is next level. They didn't even bother to remove the "WIP" icon from the recalibration window. Also a bit early for an elaborate April Fool's joke.

I just feel compelled to voice my agreement to this thread because this "addition" feels totally unnecessary and poor use of developer time and focus. Particularly considering there are still so many prominent bugs unaddressed in this patch. Totally inappropriate Devs. Please have more respect for my time and space.

Change the character select screen to show which character has completed their weekly conquest assignment. That would be a useful change I'd like to see.

Edited by Cuthbar
added something more positive

Has anybody else noticed that when you switch between the Character sheet and the Companion/Ship sheets, the window actually moves?.

That's because the new amplifier abomination turnes invisible then.

Note: INVISIBLE not gone. You can therefore drag the character sheet around when you click on the now invisible amplifier window and you can't drag the character window all the way to the right side of your screen because there is still the invisible amplifier sheet blocking that.

Yeah, so not gone. "Invisible" but still taking up space.

And you can't even scroll in on the main screen or rotate your camera while your mouse is lingering on the now invisible amplifier window! Are you for real?!

Please, whoever designed/build that, I know a lot of professors that would start grimacing if you put something like that in front of them. So let them retake a few lessons on design, realisation - or let a proper software engineer have a look. They are there to help you developers avoid results like this!

Edited by Gamemaron

They didn't even bother to remove the "WIP" icon from the recalibration window. Also a bit early for an elaborate April Fool's joke.

Funnily enough (no, nothing about this is funny) the WIP icon seems to be English client only.

But BioWare: it's called "Aktueller Hüllen-Verstärker" not "Hülle-Verstarker"

Hüllen and not Hülle!

At last keep you April Fools joke grammatically correct!

For anybody who is interrestet here is where the same discussion is going on in the swtor-reddit. To make it short: They don't like it either.

and

(the title of the second like is a little misleading. It too is about the new character sheet not the inventory)

Ive never needed to see list of my amplifiers before even when i was actually rerolling them. Why make this change now? and such a weird change no less. All it does is obscure the view. How often will people actually need this window opened? Let us close it and have it as it was before with the Amplifier button we had on the left.

I've had over a year time to roll and rip bis amplifiers from loot I get, I have several cargo bays full of them, in case I decide to gear up another character, or they change the functionality completely like they did to the Rocket Fuel Vapors tactical after people had already purchased it. So no, I have no reason to roll amplifiers anymore, the window is useless to me. Not to mention how ugly it is.

For anybody who is interrestet here is where the same discussion is going on in the swtor-reddit. To make it short: They don't like it either.

and

(the title of the second like is a little misleading. It too is about the new character sheet not the inventory)

They are getting the same feed back in discord channels too.

What’s a shame is all of this could have been avoided if they had just listened to the pts feed back.

The AMP screen literally blocks out your character when you open up the character page now. Please make it a pop-out option instead.

I bet the devs designing these things have massive monitors (27-32” or bigger) with high resolution so they have all the screen realestate they need.

They don’t realise that the majority of average players are probably still using 22-24” monitors with 1080 resolution or smaller if using some laptops.

It just goes to show that many don’t actually play the game at home or maybe at all. This is why they should “actually” listen to and interact with the players who test for them on the pts when they ask for feed back. Otherwise these stupid rookie mistakes will keep happening,

Edited by TrixxieTriss

2) We need the second stat-panell back asap

I wanted to highlight this. The uselessness of the increased character model size and the added - unasked for - amplified sidecar have led to the loss of a useful feature - the second stats windows below the character model. It was possible to have say, "Defense" and "Force" as the panel categories and see relevant effective stats (*); not anymore. Now one of them has been sacrificed unnecessarily.

(*) The Left side of character sheet shows the stat distribution but it is the lower parts that show the effectiveness of the stat distribution AND their source breakdown (Base, Bonus, Skills, Buffs, ...)

Edited by mike_carton