Why I'm done with PvP

EllieAnne

yeah pretty sure pyrotech is the only one that can do some serious damage with elemental damage that people play. Forgot about that one, even though I play it lol. So madness sorcs (which are just no) and pyrotech are pretty much the bane of that DCD.

Leth op, vir sniper, hatred assassin, anni Mara, somewhat veng, somewhat IO merc use internal/elemental damage. Even thundering blast s internal damage. There is more of it then you think.

Madness/hatred just suck because of ridiculously weak defensives.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leth op, vir sniper, hatred assassin, anni Mara, somewhat veng, somewhat IO merc use internal/elemental damage. Even thundering blast s internal damage. There is more of it then you think.

Madness/hatred just suck because of ridiculously weak defensives.

You're right, you convinced me. the DCD is complete garbage because the 3 DoT ticks will go through it. And the 2 people who play hatred/annihilation/IO ... well they're just everywhere! Clearly you shouldn't even put this DCD on your bar. Thank you for sharing this very important piece of information. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm just going to assume that was a troll response and end it here.

You're right, you convinced me. the DCD is complete garbage because the 3 DoT ticks will go through it. And the 2 people who play hatred/annihilation/IO ... well they're just everywhere! Clearly you shouldn't even put this DCD on your bar. Thank you for sharing this very important piece of information. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm just going to assume that was a troll response and end it here.

Your reply is an example why the PvP forum is considered toxic, and why the devs never give any feedback. I just wanted to respond with some civil feedback.

I didn’t say anything about the DCD being good or bad. Just wanted to point out there is a lot more damage out there that bypass it then you let on.

As for dev feedback. I’d like to see a roadmap or key points that they have identified with possible solutions. And then a thread where we can discuss those. We need to hear from then so we can tell them whether or not we see the same things. Things like the following.

1. Game Performance: These seems to be 2 fold problem. 1 is the Client CPU processing player data and the other is the client server connection. PvP performance is terrible and a hinderance to pvp, especially new comers.

2. New Maps: What’s your plan? What are you doing?

3. Class Balance: What is your stance on the individual classes/specs. Are they hitting targets? Is there a problem for PvE vs PvP? You guys put out a great post about target DPS back in what 5.6 I think. What has changed. Where are we going. What are you balancing around? 4v4, 1v1?

4. Gearing: Lets be honest, a lot of the set bonus and tacticals are..... worthless. What are your plans. How does this affect class balancing. Some set bonuses are great for some specs. Gathering storm for lightning, death knell for deception. But what about madness and hatred?

5. PvP Environment: What are your thoughts on PvP population health? Is your efforts to stop toxicity working. It’s clear that in regs the deserter timer has a more negative impact then a positive one. Instead of a toxic player leaving, they will just sit afk, instead of getting a backfill. Do you plan on treating rank and regs differently?

6. Ranked PvP: What are your plans? I’d like to say that to call something ranked play, it means you as the dev team need to treat it as such. For healthy ranked play, you need to monitor and take action on a daily basis. Waiting to the end of a season actual punishes good players and thus makes them quit ranked. Entire paragraphs can be written on this subject so I’ll leave it at that.

If you want player feedback it requires input from you guys to start. We need to know what you guys currently think and what your plans are. Once you put those out and we start discussing active responses from you would also go a long way. Keep the conversation going in 2 directions instead of just 1.

PS. I apologize for formatting and spelling. I’m on mobile. I hope it’s not grossly autocorrected.

Your reply is an example why the PvP forum is considered toxic, and why the devs never give any feedback. I just wanted to respond with some civil feedback.

I didn’t say anything about the DCD being good or bad. Just wanted to point out there is a lot more damage out there that bypass it then you let on.

The conversation was not about how many abilities do internal/elemental damage, it was about how good of a DCD power yield is. You would've known that if you just took .. oh I don't know, 30 seconds to read up .. or you know ... actually read the post you are quoting, instead of trying to be a Mr. Know it all and jump into a conversation which you know nothing about.

I don't know how long the concerns you brought up have been around, but if you would like to PM me some threads, I would like to look through them.

Its fine Jackie, no one expects you to study the past 9 years of posts. I would like to sum it up for you in a short paragraph.

There will always be issues with the classes since Devs either are forced to make some changes overtime (so that its not the same constantly) or the players provide feedback based on which classes are updated. The problem here is that this leads to uneven changes and so called fotm classes. Which means one or a few classes are buffed too much and everyone plays them because of that. Then the people of the un-buffed classes complain and then their classes get buffed ( but again too much) and the rest of the players complain. This goes on this way until we get to "Dev forced changes" where its again completely different (new set bonus etc). The isssue is also PVE, since Devs make changes which are needed to balance Operations for example, but that negatively influences PVP and vice versa.

Besides these there are also bugs, which suddenly appear without anyone wanting them (operative roll stuck in ground, Phantom Stride shooting you up into the air, instant kill from spawn in Arena map....). These are often fixed overtime, but some are not so its hard judge this. When they are fixed its also not 100% that it does happen sometimes etc, but my personal opinion here is that its not easy to fix this stuff so its fine.

This is pretty much a simple overview of the issues in PVP. Besides these there are quite a few more like match balancing (stacking up of same classes or full team or ranged dps vs melee dps etc), rewards for dailies, weeklies, premades etc. These also should be handled in orderly fashion. So if you want to help out here Jackie, you got your work cut out for you ;)

Nevertheless I am personally fine with the state of the game. I play all aspects (Story, Space PVE, PVE, PVP, GSF, ranked, FPS, crafting etc) well, I didnt play Uprisings and unranked pvp for long now. I am fine with how stuff is and the minor bugs and inbalance does not bother me much (but thats just me).

Hello, I'm winpersec and I hate huttball.

Thanks.

And now, as I have confessed, I can speak freely of my other sins, which are running it down and standing it mid only to brainlessly dps or heal whatever target on huttball, as I prefer to suffer 5 minutes but to stay 15 doing nothing on fleet.

I know there are many of us huttball haters, and I'm not alone in my sins. Can we please have a checkbox/es for WZ type/s?

It will increase positiveness of game experience for all of us huttball haters and lovers.

P.S. speaking of ranked PvP: if you guys feel it toxic or just being not your type - don't do it. You'll ease it for both you and for us. Usually, btw, no one toxx anyone, the chat is mostly being used to communicate during preparational phase. If you found yourself in an awkward position of being /spit spammed - probably you've done something very wrong several times in a row, and, as bad this situation can be, the only real solution to it is to temporarily leave the queue and study your class a bit better. Or to study the ranked PvP in general, as it has very low amount of common things with regular warzones, considering even player utility/stats/sets+tacs builds, patterns of doing something, or priorities. Watch some streams, read some guides, it's pretty much like progressing NiMs, you just don't have the timings for phases.

If you found yourself in an awkward position of being /spit spammed - probably you've done something very wrong several times in a row, and, as bad this situation can be, the only real solution to it is to temporarily leave the queue and study your class a bit better.

Lmao. Oh, I see. People getting /spit spammed because they probably pushed the wrong skill twice. HOW DARE YOU?! :rolleyes:

Thats the most hilarious comment I have seen so far in this discussion. Here is something you probably didn't knew yet: people getting /spit spammed not because they still need to master their class, they getting emote spammed because their opponent is toxic af and thats exactly why BioWare is doing these changes, and they are most welcome :rak_03:

If you feel the need in /spit spamming an opposite player just because he isn't PvPing in SWTOR for the last 8 years and hasn't mastered his class up to the maximum, then it is most likely you who should probably just stop q'ing for warzones :)

Edited by Jesseriah

The majority of what I've read so far throughout the forums is valuable feedback even if the tone that's being written isn't sunshine and rainbows. I am empathetic to how players feel and I am learning a lot about their experiences. My only ask is that when players do offer feedback that it is constructive regardless if it is positive or negative in nature. People can be express their opinion even if it's negative; I just ask that it be done respectfully and that we remember there are human beings on the other side of the monitor =]

I'm going to be honest, I can't tell what tone you're using in your post, but I'll start off on a fresh slate. I'm Jackie, and I started with the team in late November of last year. I don't know how long the concerns you brought up have been around, but if you would like to PM me some threads, I would like to look through them.

For everyone, I will likely reiterate this time and time again. I'm working to build the relationship and communication between player and dev team and vice versa. That takes time, but I hope you can see by the little changes that we've been doing around the forums is indicative of what we're trying to do to strengthen that bridge.

The best constructive criticism I can offer is the deserter lockout for reg pvp is counterproductive and incredibly frustrating. In addition to my recent angry thread about this ( where I got roll bugged twice in the same week and got locked out for 15 minutes each time), I've recently had multiple games where I contributed nothing to my team due to not being able to leave a wz. Once was when I zoned into a voidstar and realized I had no gear (voidstar is bugged and you cannot change gear once you are there, rather than after match start). Another was when my mouse stopped working in a huttball. Rather than get locked out for 15 minutes, I stayed in warzone each time and pretty much screwed my team.

Lmao. Oh, I see. People getting /spit spammed because they probably pushed the wrong skill twice. HOW DARE YOU?! :rolleyes:

Thats the most hilarious comment I have seen so far in this discussion. Here is something you probably didn't knew yet: people getting /spit spammed not because they still need to master their class, they getting emote spammed because their opponent is toxic af and thats exactly why BioWare is doing these changes, and they are most welcome :rak_03:

If you feel the need in /spit spamming an opposite player just because he isn't PvPing in SWTOR for the last 8 years and hasn't mastered his class up to the maximum, then it is most likely you who should probably just stop q'ing for warzones :)

I've started playing ranked PvP only this season. Nearly got silver atm on two toons. People actually were helpful to me from the very beginning, and I've never found myself in /spit situation, instead even opponents /w me after the game to give some advice, when it was really needed.

DM server, the most toxic one, by the way.

Probably the reason of even just seeing those /spit situations is in people like you :rolleyes:

Edited by winpersec

Probably the reason of even just seeing those /spit situations is in people like you :rolleyes:

Yeah, exactly. Thats why I'm the only person on the forum complaining about toxcitiy and there's not already 10+ different threads with several statements from BW to it, right? :rolleyes:

Edited by Jesseriah

Yeah points for losses absolutely need to be added back for unranked.

Maybe I’m crazy and confusing the game with WoW but I’m sure last time I played this you got 1 point for losses and 2 for wins.

I played 6 or 7 matches last night and had 1 win, and usually when you lose its a total curb stomp these aren’t close matches.

Rewarding losses is negative reinforcement, it fosters a lazy and complacent environment that we had complained about for several years. If people are going to get rewarded for losing then most simply don't care and they will not try for objectives, they will not be an asset to the team, they simply don't care because they are going to get rewarded regardless of the outcome. This creates a negative environment for those of us that actually play to win and it was an issue that was complained about on these forums for many years, hence the changes.

Rewards for wins only is a great idea and it's working as intended. Since it was implemented i've noticed many of the past trolls have stopped joining warzones and ruining the matches for the teams. It's made for more competitive matches and more people are actually trying, putting forth some effort to win

The only people that want to be rewarded for losing are people who want to Stealth out and AFK/node guard throughout the match so they can go do something else or people who can't be bothered to learn the objectives and participate as a team.

Rewarding losses is negative reinforcement, it fosters a lazy and complacent environment that we had complained about for several years. If people are going to get rewarded for losing then most simply don't care and they will not try for objectives, they will not be an asset to the team, they simply don't care because they are going to get rewarded regardless of the outcome. This creates a negative environment for those of us that actually play to win and it was an issue that was complained about on these forums for many years, hence the changes.

Rewards for wins only is a great idea and it's working as intended. Since it was implemented i've noticed many of the past trolls have stopped joining warzones and ruining the matches for the teams. It's made for more competitive matches and more people are actually trying, putting forth some effort to win

The only people that want to be rewarded for losing are people who want to Stealth out and AFK/node guard throughout the match so they can go do something else or people who can't be bothered to learn the objectives and participate as a team.

I disagree to some degree. There are reasons you can lose that are absolutely beyond your control, and thus, there should be some motivation to continue queueing in the event of losing.

I, amongst others, suggested that to mitigate the farming while also not overly punishing the unfortunate, you merely up the ratio of win:loss gains. If you need say, 40 matches, a win counts for 4 and a loss for 1. This can be easily adjusted. 4/40 is too easy and farming resumes? Try 8/80.

Your last paragraph is an utter and obvious exaggeration. I have never stealthed an entire match or gone afk an entire match and I still believe that losing should count for something, just substantially less than winning.

Your last paragraph is an utter and obvious exaggeration. I have never stealthed an entire match or gone afk an entire match and I still believe that losing should count for something, just substantially less than winning.

Yes, a bit of an exaggeration i suppose because it cannot possibly apply to every single player but it is based purely on what i used to experience in the game and i saw this happen a lot, almost every WZ i played and that behavior made me want to quit playing.

So where is the middle ground?

Maybe you're on to something with your idea? I'm not sure, I don't have a solution to make everyone happy, i think thats an impossible feat, someone is always going to be disappointed.

Rewarding losses is negative reinforcement, i.

No. Negative reinforcement is when you take away a bad thing for good behavior. For example, if you pre-emptively ground your child Friday night and you take away that grounding when they clean their room.

Second, you idea may be valid if PvP were an individual activity based on effort. Since it is based on teams where your success is based on others' (lack of) effort or on relative skill between your team and the other, your point is invalid.

No. Negative reinforcement is when you take away a bad thing for good behavior. For example, if you pre-emptively ground your child Friday night and you take away that grounding when they clean their room.

Second, you idea may be valid if PvP were an individual activity based on effort. Since it is based on teams where your success is based on others' (lack of) effort or on relative skill between your team and the other, your point is invalid.

As i quoted and replied to you in another thread, PVP is a team effort not an individual one, you agree with this.

Giving people participation trophies for being bad doesn't teach them that they have to work for what they want. It teaches them thats it's okay to put forth less effort and be subpar because they'll still be rewarded for their lack of effort. This is a negative aspect of teamwork, or lack thereof and teaching people that it's ok to suck is reinforcing that negative behavior.

Yes, a bit of an exaggeration i suppose because it cannot possibly apply to every single player but it is based purely on what i used to experience in the game and i saw this happen a lot, almost every WZ i played and that behavior made me want to quit playing.

So where is the middle ground?

Maybe you're on to something with your idea? I'm not sure, I don't have a solution to make everyone happy, i think thats an impossible feat, someone is always going to be disappointed.

I was going to respond, before Kendra did, that I disagree with your assertion as well.

Winning is its own reward.

Giving people participation trophies for being bad doesn't teach them that they have to work for what they want. It teaches them thats it's okay to put forth less effort and be subpar because they'll still be rewarded for their lack of effort. This is a negative aspect of teamwork, or lack thereof and teaching people that it's ok to suck is reinforcing that negative behavior.

Your point only address one aspect of winning/losing a match and doesn’t account for other reasons.

From my experience and what I have witnessed is the vast majority of PvP match losses in regs has nothing to do with good/bad. It has to do with players not caring about objectives. Many veteran players that I have interacted with only care about PvP combat itself and even often refer to doing objectives as “PvE”. They want to fight. And in their minds if they perform well in combat and enjoyed it, then win or lose the actual match, they “won”. Because of this, winning or losing a match just comes down to the amount of players on each side that actually cared enough to do the objectives.

Additionally, what do you actually get for winning? Practically nothing. The gear boxes contains 300-304 gear. Most veteran players are already geared. And abysmal amount of tech frags. You get way more gear and frags from flashpoints and earn them much more quickly. At the end of the day many people don’t get anything from winning or losing which pushes them to not care. And thus you get the above.

The way the rewards are now, my opinion is yes, let losses count. It helps the newer players that need the weeklies done and doesn’t really affect the veteran players at all. Longer term though, I’d say balancing of rewards needs to be looked at. Master mode hammer station is easy and yet you get way more rewards from it then you do a PvP reg match.

P.S. sorry, I’m on mobile.

Edited by Ld-Siris

Wanted to chime in and say the team is paying attention to and monitoring feedback.

To everyone in this thread, I also wanted to give a heads up that I will be moving this thread to the PvP sub-forum.

As one of Your customers of 9 years paying sub on 2 accounts and who spent above 2000 Euro on CC coins to support Your game, and also an avid PVP fan I must say that I am extremely disappointed about your decision to make ACCOUNT wide lockout, yet at the SAME time You still allow premade against non premades. I have now several weeks had many WZ's against 2 x 4 premades and to make it worse they consist of 7 or 8 Ops/Scoundrel teams, this makes it an instant loss and a complete steamroll farce no matter which kind of WZ comes up.

I also see ques are longer and what's worse all my friends I used to PVP with stopped playing because of this change. One of them called me and said she was disgusted by these changes. The players You do then end up with are all STEAM newcomers that have zero clue about how bad the PVP situation is and so join the unranked WZs just to get very upset after 1 or 2 games.

I also noted a MUCH higher numbers of arenas happening in the unranked que than has ever been the case until You made this change. At times of the prime time evening where they almost never popped (except the normal rotation You have programmed) This is another sign of the poor state PVP is in. And please don't just look at the numbers participating in PVP because I can already tell You its the new STEAM players that go in for 1 or 2 matches until they quit in disgust, after which more new STEAM players join as cannon fodder. (this also explains the phenomena that other poster in this thread has where these new players have no idea of any objectives but just run around like headless chicken and try to inflate their DPS numbers, it has never been as bad as since You made the change and most of the veteran PVP players stopped playing)

My patience has lasted 9 years with all the many bugs (like a 24 Euro CC lightsaber that has been bugged for years where You promised to fix it but its still not fixed) If indeed its because all developer time goes towards trying to fix Anthem then be honest and tell us.

Its time to either reverse this account wide lockout if You leave these completely unfair WZ's or to implement a change so You cant join as a premade. (and You must make sure people will then not just try to que-sync to get around this change)

Sincerely a very disappointed long time loyal customer. :(

Edited by Shinzzun

As one of Your customers of 9 years paying sub on 2 accounts and who spent above 2000 Euro on CC coins to support Your game, and also an avid PVP fan I must say that I am extremely disappointed about your decision to make ACCOUNT wide lockout, yet at the SAME time You still allow premade against non premades. I have now several weeks had many WZ's against 2 x 4 premades and to make it worse they consist of 7 or 8 Ops/Scoundrel teams, this makes it an instant loss and a complete steamroll farce no matter which kind of WZ comes up.

I also see ques are longer and what's worse all my friends I used to PVP with stopped playing because of this change. One of them called me and said she was disgusted by these changes. The players You do then end up with are all STEAM newcomers that have zero clue about how bad the PVP situation is and so join the unranked WZs just to get very upset after 1 or 2 games.

I also noted a MUCH higher numbers of arenas happening in the unranked que than has ever been the case until You made this change. At times of the prime time evening where they almost never popped (except the normal rotation You have programmed) This is another sign of the poor state PVP is in. And please don't just look at the numbers participating in PVP because I can already tell You its the new STEAM players that go in for 1 or 2 matches until they quit in disgust, after which more new STEAM players join as cannon fodder. (this also explains the phenomena that other poster in this thread has where these new players have no idea of any objectives but just run around like headless chicken and try to inflate their DPS numbers, it has never been as bad as since You made the change and most of the veteran PVP players stopped playing)

My patience has lasted 9 years with all the many bugs (like a 24 Euro CC lightsaber that has been bugged for years where You promised to fix it but its still not fixed) If indeed its because all developer time goes towards trying to fix Anthem then be honest and tell us.

Its time to either reverse this account wide lockout if You leave these completely unfair WZ's or to implement a change so You cant join as a premade. (and You must make sure people will then not just try to que-sync to get around this change)

Sincerely a very disappointed long time loyal customer. :(

Agreed 100%

While I do *NOT* want to see premades being disallowed, I DO want to see matchmaking pitting them AGAINST one another more often (or all the time). Sadly, if they increase the wait for premades, it could also hurt PvP because, as with any MMO, it is a social game.

Improved matchmaking could alleviate this in any number of ways, though. If you're in a premade, the server could match available healers and tanks in the queue that are solo to be on opposing team to premade to help balance it. Or, premade versus premade. Make it so matchmaking server never puts two premades on same team.

It seems possible to keep people able to queue with friends while still making it less horrid for those of us who solo queue. Also, get rid of leaderboards for Regular Warzones. That would help tremendously, I think. It would not completely solve the issue, but I believe the pride would fall to winning, not padding numbers.

My point addresses specifically, the reason we should not reward losing in PVP.

Get better matchmaking, (where it is not possible for two premades to be on same team) and get rid of leaderboards so people are less inclined to massage their egos by padding numbers and I will agree with you. Right now we have premades who have hijacked the PvP queues and made playing a chore most of the time rather than fun.

My friend regaled me with the telling of a match wherein the other team were deliberately holding the ball in the center of the map to protract the game. This is acceptable?

I have been in matches where I was whispered by other members of my own team that a certain guild has no interest in winning, and experience has shown that those people were right.

We're discussing the advancement of a quest, not the reward of some highly prized item or prestigious title. The insistence that advancing quests correlates to participation trophies is ludicrous. To reiterate, completion of a quest compared to prized items (mounts) or prestigious titles (flair and titles) for doing well in ranked is not remotely the same. It's a party favor at best...and why, for the love of all that is good in the world (which is scant, I'll cede the point) are we even worried about REGULAR WARZONE quest advancement? Why is that somehow taken so seriously? The mantra "it's just regs" seems to be the response whenever someone complains about winning and losing, so why not allow people to advance quests?

Rewarding the quest completion for wins only does nothing make the numbers farmers attempt to win, so why should we be punished for their NON participation?

Get better matchmaking, (where it is not possible for two premades to be on same team) and get rid of leaderboards so people are less inclined to massage their egos by padding numbers and I will agree with you. Right now we have premades who have hijacked the PvP queues and made playing a chore most of the time rather than fun.

My friend regaled me with the telling of a match wherein the other team were deliberately holding the ball in the center of the map to protract the game. This is acceptable?

I have been in matches where I was whispered by other members of my own team that a certain guild has no interest in winning, and experience has shown that those people were right.

We're discussing the advancement of a quest, not the reward of some highly prized item or prestigious title. The insistence that advancing quests correlates to participation trophies is ludicrous. To reiterate, completion of a quest compared to prized items (mounts) or prestigious titles (flair and titles) for doing well in ranked is not remotely the same. It's a party favor at best...and why, for the love of all that is good in the world (which is scant, I'll cede the point) are we even worried about REGULAR WARZONE quest advancement? Why is that somehow taken so seriously? The mantra "it's just regs" seems to be the response whenever someone complains about winning and losing, so why not allow people to advance quests?

Rewarding the quest completion for wins only does nothing make the numbers farmers attempt to win, so why should we be punished for their NON participation?

Equating PVP to a Quest, that to me is ludicrous. Therein lies the problem?

Winning is it's own reward (i read that from you before), not some cheap Quest advancement with a petty prize pool that amounts to nothing.

You PVP for the challenge of besting another player(s) using teamwork and tactics. If you find yourself on teams of players that are intent on sabotaging your games then giving you a reward for playing those games isn't going to change that outcome for you 1 bit and you can't tell me that the reward you're being given for tolerating those matches makes it worth it, you'll still come here and complain that you don't like pvp and you'll complain until you're faced with one other opponent where one of you throws a strike against the other, you both fall dead and a banner pops up congratulating both of you on being a winner.

Equating PVP to a Quest, that to me is ludicrous. Therein lies the problem?

Winning is it's own reward (i read that from you before), not some cheap Quest advancement with a petty prize pool that amounts to nothing.

You PVP for the challenge of besting another player(s) using teamwork and tactics. If you find yourself on teams of players that are intent on sabotaging your games then giving you a reward for playing those games isn't going to change that outcome for you 1 bit and you can't tell me that the reward you're being given for tolerating those matches makes it worth it, you'll still come here and complain that you don't like pvp and you'll complain until you're faced with one other opponent where one of you throws a strike against the other, you both fall dead and a banner pops up congratulating both of you on being a winner.

Simple questions then.

Why do we have rewards or missions at all in pvp? Why does winning ranked and climbing the ELO matter?

Playing devils advocate here. By your explanations, pvpers should just be pvping for the sake of pvping and get nothing for it,

Edited by TrixxieTriss