MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

I really think they should have made all armor and weapons in the game orange. Let us pick what we want to wear on our characters and make all the mobs drop the mods instead of the actual armor/weapons.

I don't know why they're using two different systems at the same time. The slottable armor system was a great idea, they needed to commit to it 100%.

Edited by Shillen

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if anybody can answer this but.

My low level lightsabers (lvl49 req with mods) with level 47-49 mods (lvl49 blue hilts) has slightly less stats and a lot less damage than the 400 skill Artifice lightsaber (lvl 48 required) that has lower quality mods. The hilt in the artifice Lightsaber shows as 48, where as the hilt in my current Lightsaber shows as 50, both show as blue quality, the Artifice one has the higher damage.

Does this not negate the idea of oranges and mods always having the same stats with the same quality mods? Where is this extra damage coming from?

Spoken by someone who's never actually served. Soldiers are not only allowed, but encouraged, to think for themselves. It kind of helps to promote that whole "keeping the soldier alive so as to be able to continue to soldier on" thing that militaries rely on in order to remain effective.

But don't they all wear the same gear? Which is the point of the thread.

I have watched many a starwars movie and I have yet to see storm troopers charging in wearing their Hugo Boss shirts.

How come we never see Anakin busting his Nikes into battle?

How come all the jedis seem to be into robes?

How come all the stormtroopers all have that white shiny armor.

Is it because that is the lore of the Star Wars universe?

So far all I see from these posts is I don't like the look of the Star Wars universe so change it for me even though that goes against the lore the game is based on.

But don't they all wear the same gear? Which is the point of the thread.

I have watched many a starwars movie and I have yet to see storm troopers charging in wearing their Hugo Boss shirts.

How come we never see Anakin busting his Nikes into battle?

How come all the jedis seem to be into robes?

How come all the stormtroopers all have that white shiny armor.

Is it because that is the lore of the Star Wars universe?

So far all I see from these posts is I don't like the look of the Star Wars universe so change it for me even though that goes against the lore the game is based on.

you wanna base it off the movies or the expanded universe? you actually should be going off the expanded universe as thats where the old republic comes from. There is a all kinds of outfits for jedi and sith that differentiate the look of them. As for the republic trooper class.... it was common for squads to have a unique look to them and also since this class as well as the imperial agent are not meant to be just troops but elite members of the military, they typically would have their own look to them. Bounty hunters and smugglers dont need an explanation as to why they look different.

In conclusion, yes we should be allowed to look differently from others and it would work with the lore.

So having mods drop at end-game makes the ability to customize your other gear to end-game standards leaves no option for customization?

Except you don't have to suit up your uniform at 50. I guess ignorance is bliss?

Good luck getting Set Bonuses, PvP Bonuses, and Augment Slots on that orange gear.

I dont understand this fascination about looking unique and all this crap. Every single RPG i've played has 0 armor customization and the best armor is the same for everyone e.g Skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, dragon age I&II, KOTOR I&II, Mass Effect I&II and many others especially those made by bioware.

I have a good feeling that is need for a ridiculous feature is to troll people, by being a heavy armor unit and looking like your wearing light armor and vice versa. And sometimes armor doesnt look good, sometimes you just have to live with it.

I could also image the how stupid armor customization would in MMO's such as EVE, is that a battleship your flying? No bro, its a frigate. But it looks cool right?

I dont understand this fascination about looking unique and all this crap. Every single RPG i've played has 0 armor customization and the best armor is the same for everyone e.g Skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, dragon age I&II, KOTOR I&II, Mass Effect I&II and many others especially those made by bioware.

I have a good feeling that is need for a ridiculous feature is to troll people, by being a heavy armor unit and looking like your wearing light armor and vice versa. And sometimes armor doesnt look good, sometimes you just have to live with it.

I could also image the how stupid armor customization would in MMO's such as EVE, is that a battleship your flying? No bro, its a frigate. But it looks cool right?

question when or if your still in school if they suddenly said " ok your now going to wear a pink skirt, with purple tie, and this silly heat with a feather in it and both boys and girls will wear same outfit! " would you be happy and wear this ridiculaous outfit? or would you be upset at being forced to wear a dress? basically what you just said was " wear ugly outfit and be happy!" yet in real world situation if this happend you'd rage and probably switch schools.

Also no your actually wrong about the no one doing custumization thing because MOST mmo's are now offering this. Can't compare TOR to a single player game(which have even less excuses for terrible looking gear)

WoW: now lets you put current stats on older gear models.

EQ2: has an appearance tab

Lotor: again apperance tab

CoH/V: lets you design your character from level 1...and opens more costume parts as you level up.

DCUO: see coh/v

ect ect ect

the idea is this, your character is ment to be an avatar that represents you right? well even in free social mmos and xbox live you can buy appearance looks and such for your character. heck TF2 even has HATS now! to set you apart from general population...

fact of matter is we do not want to look like every other scrub walks by and we certainly don't want to have same exact gear as guy next to us or same gear as our class. Just because your ok with being clone doesn't mean majority of us are... and finally i'll leave it at...if wanted us to be clones WHY EVEN HAVE MODDING SYSTEM!? why introduce a system that PROMOTES unique appearances ONLY to nullify it at 50...yea makes no sense!

bioware has only themselves to blame! gave us options and are now taking them away...

question when or if your still in school if they suddenly said " ok your now going to wear a pink skirt, with purple tie, and this silly heat with a feather in it and both boys and girls will wear same outfit! " would you be happy and wear this ridiculaous outfit? or would you be upset at being forced to wear a dress? basically what you just said was " wear ugly outfit and be happy!" yet in real world situation if this happend you'd rage and probably switch schools.

Seeing as wearing something in real life does not give you stat bonuses, why would you include a real life situation? And if it was in-game was between wearing a dress that +500 strength +500 endurance, or a some armored legs that had +10 strength and +10 endurance but looked much better, i would choose the dress.

Also no your actually wrong about the no one doing custumization thing because MOST mmo's are now offering this. Can't compare TOR to a single player game(which have even less excuses for terrible looking gear)

I would compare TOR to a single-player game because the storyline is better if not equal to most RPGs out today, to say its not is being ignorant.

CoH/V: lets you design your character from level 1...and opens more costume parts as you level up.

ect ect ect

while you have a point, MMOs such as EVE and WoT (world of tanks) do not other these and they are fine.

the idea is this, your character is ment to be an avatar that represents you right? well even in free social mmos and xbox live you can buy appearance looks and such for your character. heck TF2 even has HATS now! to set you apart from general population...

I've played xbox live for 4 years and its only recently avatars have came out, yea i made one but i care so little what it looks like, or for the fact what anyone elses looks like, and many of my friends on xbox live dont care as well :rolleyes:. Such customization has no real value only face value and its only for money, not for looking unique and different.

fact of matter is we do not want to look like every other scrub walks by and we certainly don't want to have same exact gear as guy next to us or same gear as our class. Just because your ok with being clone doesn't mean majority of us are... and finally i'll leave it at...if wanted us to be clones WHY EVEN HAVE MODDING SYSTEM!? why introduce a system that PROMOTES unique appearances ONLY to nullify it at 50...yea makes no sense!

playing an MMO such as runescape have made me care so little about armor customization, because you what 5000+ people wearing the same stuff, what makes you different is your personality.

Lastly i think you do have a point about nullifying the modding system at 50, but i can see that being changed at a later date, just like any other game things get fixed, have some patience.

bioware has only themselves to blame! gave us options and are now taking them away...

need 5 characters

Can anyone post some screen shots of this endgame gear and how much better a fully-matched outfit is over a custom set of orange gear with the possible mods? Heck, even a couple pieces of a set vs equivalent best-modded oranges. If this is such a big problem, you'd think examples would be easy to come by.

no screenshot but the bonuses are class based, lowering skill timers, increasing damage, lowering skill cost, etc.

That's a little help but, I am interested to see how much better raid-looted gear is versus orange gear with raid-looted mods. For instance, if you can mod out your orange gear for higher stats than the raid the gear comes with and it's a choice between the set bonuses or higher stats, that sounds pretty balanced. I personally can live with orange gear being viable but, raided loot being the optimal but, not dominant gear.

Can anyone post some screen shots of this endgame gear and how much better a fully-matched outfit is over a custom set of orange gear with the possible mods? Heck, even a couple pieces of a set vs equivalent best-modded oranges. If this is such a big problem, you'd think examples would be easy to come by.

For example my 2PC Mercenary Bonus adds 15% crit chance to Tracer Missile (my most used attack). That cannot be replaced, it is a gigantic DPS gain and Heat Reduction gain.

Too lazy to screenshot it, theres lists of the set bonuses out there on some of the better database sites. My 4pc isn't quite as crazy but its a reduction of .5 heat generated per second by making my rail shot free. Its still a free gain over not using it and honestly every bit of heat reduction helps because it all adds up.

Some of the healer 2PCs also add huge crit chance or reduce cooldowns, those are not getting replaced either.

This isn't even looking at the mods, the mods are much better too since I don't think anyone has found the crafting formulas for the 23-26 mods (Lvl 51 to 56 purple) and my gear has full 56 purple which is a HUGE jump from 50 purple that is created now (add 50 weapon damage for example). I can always yank those 56 mods out and throw them into orange gear but the set bonuses are irreplaceable.

There supposedly are Tier mods out there for gear but it only covers up to Tier 2 not Tier 3 and by the time you ever find the recipes for the mods (they are BoP mods) you will probably already have a full set of Tier 2 anyways. Also once again it still does not fix the set bonus problem.

Edited by Lightmgl

For example my 2PC Mercenary Bonus adds 15% crit chance to Tracer Missile (my most used attack). That cannot be replaced, it is a gigantic DPS gain and Heat Reduction gain.

Too lazy to screenshot it, theres lists of the set bonuses out there on some of the better database sites. My 4pc isn't quite as crazy but its a reduction of .5 heat generated per second by making my rail shot free. Its still a free gain over not using it and honestly every bit of heat reduction helps because it all adds up.

Some of the healer 2PCs also add huge crit chance or reduce cooldowns, those are not getting replaced either.

This isn't even looking at the mods, the mods are much better too since I don't think anyone has found the crafting formulas for the 23-26 mods (Lvl 51 to 56 purple) and my gear has full 56 purple which is a HUGE jump from 50 purple that is created now (add 50 weapon damage for example). I can always yank those 56 mods out and throw them into orange gear but the set bonuses are irreplaceable.

There supposedly are Tier mods out there for gear but it only covers up to Tier 2 not Tier 3 and by the time you ever find the recipes for the mods (they are BoP mods) you will probably already have a full set of Tier 2 anyways. Also once again it still does not fix the set bonus problem.

Basically no one will want to use orange custom gear once they start getting their set gear or PvP gear.

I really think they should have made all armor and weapons in the game orange. Let us pick what we want to wear on our characters and make all the mobs drop the mods instead of the actual armor/weapons.

I don't know why they're using two different systems at the same time. The slottable armor system was a great idea, they needed to commit to it 100%.

Agreed

Yay, most everyone will look the same at level 50. That's neat!

Even worse - some of those set are so ugly that I cannot imagine how they could ever have been approved to be put into the game. So there will be ugly clones.

Originally Posted by Lokai

Seeing as wearing something in real life does not give you stat bonuses, why would you include a real life situation? And if it was in-game was between wearing a dress that +500 strength +500 endurance, or a some armored legs that had +10 strength and +10 endurance but looked much better, i would choose the dress.

But the point was people in RL still care about the "image" that is conveyed even if there is a better "stat bonus." For example look at the iPhone/iPad, technologically there are better Android sets on the market stat sheet wise, and yet, people still buy the Apple product because it "looks cooler" or is a "status symbol." (not to turn this into an Android/Apple war)

Beats headphones by Dre are another example, they sound terrible when compared to a good set of Sennheiser headphones...but people still buy them, again, because of the status symbol.

I would compare TOR to a single-player game because the storyline is better if not equal to most RPGs out today, to say its not is being ignorant.

Just because an mmo does a better job at being an RPG than other mmos does not mean it should fall into the single-player category. That said, people still care about how their avatar looks in single-player RPGs, if they didn't there wouldn't such a strong mod community for games like Skyrim.

ect ect ect

while you have a point, MMOs such as EVE and WoT (world of tanks) do not other these and they are fine.

I have no experience with WoT, but I do have experience with EVE. EVE and SWTOR can and can't really be compared. Yes, in EVE your ship will look exactly the same as everyone else flying that same ship, but you avatar does not. The issue people are having isn't with a lack of ship options/looks, it is that their actual character will look the same as everyone else's character. In EVE the little picture of your character is what represented you, not the ship. Furthermore, the customization level for avatars in EVE is rather extensive, even pre-Incarna. With the release of Incarna you had even more options to customize the look of your character, and they are making the push to make that look more relevant in future expansions with the ability to walk around the stations.

5 characters

I haven't read the entire thread, but for those looking for set bonuses for all PvP and PvE gear, they are found here: http://knotor.com/item_sets

Nice find. +1

Generally speaking you get set bonuses for wearing 2 or 4 pieces from among the boots, gloves, chest, legs and head. I felt like most of the 2 pieces bonuses were very solid. The 4 piece bonuses were nice but, not as necessary.

Looking at those bonuses, the first thing I would do is move the set bonuses from the more visible item slots to the less visble ones. For instance, if you took the bonuses off the chestpieces and put them on belts. You could get the full 4 piece bonus from boots, gloves, belt and headgear(hidden). This would reduce the potential clone effect by encouraging orange chests and pants/skirts. Maybe not perfect but, it starts to mitigate the issue.

I agree with the sentiment. Though I think give it some time and i'm sure it will work out. I do agree I want to wear what I want to wear.

My personal view is that all gear should be moddable. None of this non modding gear at all. Just have less gear drop. Drop mods instead.

As for the solution for "locking" mod spaces from the bosses. Skip that. Just have have the end boss drop mods that are better than what would be in any of the prior bosses. Problem solved. Players will still push to the end because that's where the best mods are.

The weird part is why mods at all if they are locked? Why not just gear with stats on it?

This suggests to me one of two options:

1) There will be a "Key" that unlocks mods that will be some kind of credit sink that needs to be bought or made that will allow the mods to be removed.

2) It will be made into a "Tier Behind" system where when the next Tier of Operations Gear is released, the previous Tier will be "unlocked" allowing those mods to be put into Orange gear and/or sent to Alts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.