Do you max out your companions (with gifts) to 50 or keep them lower to save money?

Finrok

Do you take 3 to 50 on one character and keep some lower? or spread them out among different characters?

On the toon that crafts end-game crit and defense augs, I'm slowing getting 8 comps to 50 (max number of companions who can help you craft at one time). None of my other toons will get that treatment, it's unnecessary. One or two at 50 for the remaining crafters is enough.

For PvE purposes, one toon at 50 is plenty, and for most cases, 30 is fine. Though I must say T-7 is a beast at 50.

Edited by xordevoreaux

There is a website (sorry I can’t find the link) that has a complete break down on how much it costs to lvl up your companions with different types of gifts. And it’s in spread sheet form to show the cheapest way to do it, which unfortunately isn’t the fastest because it requires giving lots of low lvl gifts.

You also have amplifiers on Armor now and if you get the ones for influence, it can save you about 20-30% because you get more influence per gift.

But the absolute fastest way to do it and the way I do it is using dark projects and then 4.5 mil credits to buy the booster from the vendor. Then you can take a lvl 1 companion to lvl 50 instantly.

Do you take 3 to 50 on one character and keep some lower? or spread them out among different characters?

Depends on if you want to use them for crafting. My main crafters have 8x lvl 50 companions each. My side crafters or mission gatherers have between 3-5 x lvl 50 comps each.

I already leveled each one up to 20 on my main and spent around 2 million on gifts. I guess buying the 0-50 boost is a waste now since I went through the trouble of getting them all to 20. At least I know now how to do it in the future on another character. Edited by Finrok

I already leveled each one up to 20 on my main and spent around 2 million on gifts. I guess buying the 0-50 boost is a waste now since I went through the trouble of getting them all to 20. At least I know now how to do it in the future on another character.

Just do it on another one instead.

What vendor sells the 0-50 boost? Where is he located?

On the fleet in the stronghold decorations / conquest reward vendor. I think the imperial one is a droid called Victor, but I might be mistaken (I’m in be atm).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

There is a website (sorry I can’t find the link) that has a complete break down on how much it costs to lvl up your companions with different types of gifts. And it’s in spread sheet form to show the cheapest way to do it, which unfortunately isn’t the fastest because it requires giving lots of low lvl gifts.

You also have amplifiers on Armor now and if you get the ones for influence, it can save you about 20-30% because you get more influence per gift.

But the absolute fastest way to do it and the way I do it is using dark projects and then 4.5 mil credits to buy the booster from the vendor. Then you can take a lvl 1 companion to lvl 50 instantly.

I usually use Dulfy's companion guide. Though it hasn't been updated in awhile, the costs should be the same. http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

If you care more about credits than the amount of time it will take to level a companion up then never buy the rank 6 (gold) gifts. Companion Compendiums can also be obtained in game from the Conquest Rewards vendor on either fleet for 3 Dark Project MK-1 and 4,250,000 ... but I would buy them only if time is more important to you than credits or the crafting mats need for the Dark Projects.

On the fleet in the stronghold decorations / conquest reward vendor. I think the imperial one is a droid called Victor, but I might be mistaken (I’m in be atm).

The vendor on the Republic side is named V1C-ORY. It may be the same on the Imperial side as well.

Dulfy has a good guide for companion gifts (someone already posted that ofc :) ).

Also with Onslaught we got a new source for companion gifts via jawa scrap, you can get your droid companions and a few of your other comps to 50 without paying a single credit, Maintenance ( droids) and Delicacies ( beasts and certain humanoids). Given that you have at least 3 droids if you finish all the story content and also the good old HK droid, you're halfway to your 8 crafter without a single cred payed. The 3 jawa scrap vendors are located in the cartel bazaar at fleet.

Edited by Dogtrauma

Dulfy has a good guide for companion gifts (someone already posted that ofc :) ).

Also with Onslaught we got a new source for companion gifts via jawa scrap, you can get your droid companions and a few of your other comps to 50 without paying a single credit, Maintenance ( droids) and Delicacies ( beasts and certain humanoids). Given that you have at least 3 droids if you finish all the story content and also the good old HK droid, you're halfway to your 8 crafter without a single cred payed. The 3 jawa scrap vendors are located in the cartel bazaar at fleet.

This. I consult that dulfy guide a lot. I also use the maintenance/delicacy gifts combo. However, I generally only raise comps to 50 if I'm planning on crafting with them, otherwise I'll just level them with story convos and whatever 'Love' gifts i currently have in stock. I've only used the compendium once, to raise Theron to 50, since he doesn't like maintenance/delicacies. If you're crafting, be sure to grab SCORPIO from the companion machine; she Loves maintenance gifts.

Edited by Ardrossan

I (usually) have more cartel coins than credits. I bought a 3-pack of Compendium tokens today (instant level 50 influence). They're currently on sale, 3 for 1800-something cc.

I buy em in game. They're 4.25M each and 3 dark projects. Just think of how many credits you could make buying something else with those CC... even at 1800 CC you could buy say 9 cartel packs and sell em for 7 million each.

So really, you're robbing yourself. 50 million credits gets you like 12 of the compendiums in game.... just gotta craft some dark projects.

I try to have one 50 comp per toon I play.

I have my armormech, synthweaver & biochemist, 8 level 50 comps. I have my Cybertech several 50 comps. But not 8, same with my Armstech. There is only 2 on her I think.

But for money isn't the issue as much as time to give gifts. The purple ones are the best. Find the one they LOVE & you will need like 416 I believe, if you use the Legacy Perk of extra % per gift given. And it will take like 15min of clicking if you use the speed perk. 4.5mil in credits I think was the math way back.

If you don't have a lot of credits though, I'd just advise getting one toon to like 35+ then make credits. Later on down the line get them level 50.

I buy em in game. They're 4.25M each and 3 dark projects. Just think of how many credits you could make buying something else with those CC... even at 1800 CC you could buy say 9 cartel packs and sell em for 7 million each.

So really, you're robbing yourself. 50 million credits gets you like 12 of the compendiums in game.... just gotta craft some dark projects.

or if you can't craft, buy them, they've become really cheap. As Tsillah said, save the CC's for something good :)

or if you can't craft, buy them, they've become really cheap. As Tsillah said, save the CC's for something good :)

Yeah, wait for a week when you get lots of conquest points for dark projects and that is repeated each day. Then the cost come down fast.

I usually make 7 during those weeks, so that’s 2 companions to lvl 50 or I can sell them on the GTN when dark projects aren’t part of conquest.

The problem is I heard that if you start KOTFE it freezes your companions at the level they were at permanently. So mine would be 20 forever. You can't ever get them to 50 after that. I have some decisions to make if that's true. Edited by Finrok

The problem is I heard that if you start KOTFE it freezes your companions at the level htey were at permanently. You can't ever get them to 50 after that. True?

That’s not true. But you will lose access to your original story comps until they come back through the story. And some still haven’t come back yet. ie, don’t pick Zenith as one because he’s not back yet

The problem is I heard that if you start KOTFE it freezes your companions at the level they were at permanently. So mine would be 20 forever. You can't ever get them to 50 after that. I have some decisions to make if that's true.

That's not true.

When you get your companions back after starting KotFE (either through the storyline, or by using the companion return terminal) you can keep levelling them up normally.