Game Update 6.1.2 - Known Issues

CommunityTeam

Since the update every time I've tried to launch the game I get an endless black screen. The app is responding, cursor moves around, but nothing happens.

I've looked around old forum posts; tried editing the ini, tried Alt+Enter, nothing works.

Sometimes alt+f4 fixes things...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After installing the patch, I've been stuck in "Quick Play Mode" at 0% downloading at the character screen for all characters. I re-launched the game, same thing. I've seen other players on other threads mention deleting bitraider directories or trying other workarounds to the launcher, but nothing seems to consistently fix the issue. When will this be added to the known 6.1.2 issues list?

wondering, there any news on this?

wondering, there any news on this?

note that this particular 'issue' never made it onto their known issue list... though they did comment here:

Hi folks,

Thanks for the reports concerning the issue with the Character Selection Screen.

Our team is currently looking into it. I will let you know when I have more information about it.

TLDR 'Fix': disable the bitraider 'feature' in the launcher settings.

- DOWN SIDE: having to re-download the entire game

- UP SIDE: you can log in and play again

even if you have done this in the past, it never hurts to verify your launcher settings as updates have been known to reset user changes /settings and replace files...

Deactivating Streaming (BitRaider) mode:

1) make sure neither the game nor the launcher are still running

- use the OS task manager to verify

2) Go to the SWTOR directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic)

3) Open the file "launcher.settings" (use notepad /notepad++ /etc)

- locate the following entries and make the indicated changes

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

,"bitraider_disable": false

to

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

to, "bitraider_disable": true

- save the file, start the launcher, login, begin your (re)download

Additional Note:

if you ever need to backup /restore your personal settings (saved keybindings, UI layouts, individual character settings, local game settings), navigate to %localappdata% and backup (copy, ZIP, RAR, etc) the SWTOR folder (not SWTORPerf)

Edited by Kaveat

Here's a very good question, Why hasn't Bioware as any rational software company would roll back the patch until the identified issues are corrected. Right now you've got people who can't even log into the game, no crafters can craft without having to spend all the credits level up again. The interface changes cause massive issues, Plus the general consensus based on this forum is nobody wanted the changes. Feedback from the PTR also echo that nobody liked the UI changes or this new Social tool bar garbage.

If you could kindly act like responsible adults and rollback the issue and fix all these game breaking bugs before you push it out again that would be great.

Game is stuck in Quick Play Mode. I can only log on characters on the starting planets. I have tried restarting the game/pc. Removing bitraider files so the client repairs and setting bitraider to startup. Nothing has worked. Multiple reports on twitter too.

They still "working on it" without even a thread to this very CRITICAL bug. They should open a thread specific to this bug and keep people updated.

I am developer myself, bugs bound to exist whether it be critical or trivial, it is normal. But this way of handling the bugged release is absolutely very rude to customer. Just shows how unprofessional, how UNRELIABLE the company is and makes you think twice or thrice before giving them any money or time.

Why hasn't Bioware as any rational software company would roll back the patch until the identified issues are corrected.

No MMO dev team in history has ever been considered 'rational' by players, and despite the apparent rationality of the proposed action, doing a rollback that involves both the servers and the player client system is major undertaking that is likely to cause more problems than it solves. The 'less messy' option of a rollback would mean restoring from pre-update server backups (affecting all those that have logged in a played since the update), as well as requiring a near full re-download of every game client (which could be made much simpler by having a proper incremental repair system, which this game has always lacked).

The last straw for a rollback not happening - monies have already changed hands for the new cartel market content, making a rollback a job-loosing proposition for the powers that be.

Edited by Kaveat

No MMO dev team in history has ever been considered 'rational' by players, and despite the apparent rationality of the proposed action, doing a rollback that involves both the servers and the player client system is major undertaking that is likely to cause more problems than it solves. The 'less messy' option of a rollback would mean restoring from pre-update server backups (affecting all those that have logged in a played since the update), as well as requiring a near full re-download of every game client (which could be made much simpler by having a proper incremental repair system, which this game has always lacked).

The last straw for a rollback not happening - monies have already changed hands for the new cartel market content, making a rollback a job-loosing proposition for the powers that be.

Actually there are MANY MANY MMO development companies that have rolled back broken patches like this, Blizzard being one of the biggest.

All of the issues you identify as being problems are only problems if they did not properly code the updates. Not sure about these folks but it's not difficult to bake in an ability to roll back patches providing one admits there could be issues. Again being able to roll back a patch is a function of proper coding, which as we know Bioware does not practice. (It's pretty bad when even Microsoft says your company is not observing good proper coding practices. Case in point being the requirement of administration permissions to play a game vs just asking when needed to patch the game.) Being able to roll back shouldn't be much of an issue since all Character specific data should be in a backed up archive should things really go bad. But a game update shouldn't be able to cause egregious issues with the character database. Again unless it's been coded in a completely unprofessional / unorganized manner.

Edited by Jaskyvykaa

So, between this post and others, what I'm hearing is...

Every single new thing that came out is buggy. Even the new Cartel Market items.

The community has been complaining about critical lack of QA for over a year now.

Please tell us, Bioware, you'll finally listen?

Edited by Xina_LA

So while I haven't had any major issues, I have noticed that whenever I start my game from the launcher I get a problem report on my computer stating that the game/launcher crashed for no reason(I say no reason but it labels it as a fault in the pathing? Not the best with computers outside of basics but it seems like an issue with file). This however doesn't seem to the be the case as the game starts up fine and while I've noticed a lot of server lag (probably from what's being done to fix the game.) everything so far is working fine. Not sure if it counts as an issue or not since I just noticed windows problem reports running in the background just before the game starts up and the report being on the game itself but I'm curious if I should be worried about this. (Added note: This all started after the update in case this wasn't clear.) Edited by WolfieTimes

BTW BW: Cartel Packs are invisible since the patch. I had a few in various characters' inventories across three servers. All are affected. With the UI hell, I lost the will to feed this back yesterday. See this thread in the bug forums.

As for this:

Here are the current known issues for Game Update 6.1.2:

• Players in some situations had their rank 700 Crew Skills downranked to 600.

It's worse than I thought. My characters that PAID to unlock the lvl 700 skill then level them up have all been reduced back down to 600/600 instead of 700/700. It seems to be affecting gathering and mission skills but not the crafting skill. This pissed me right off. Why did we bother paying the 500K to unlock, the time and credit costs to level the skill (e.g. UW trading) only for you to **** it right up? And you can't blame in-house changes due to Covid-19; you break many, many things every time you do an update. Grrrrrr :mad:

Edited by Sarova

I'm getting the quick play login problem every time I log in. This thread is the only thing that solves the problem that I know of:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729911

Also, when I go to modify an item at a item modification station, the station will glow blue when I bring the item in to modify, but then it asks me if I want to destroy the item when I release the mouse button. So I'm unable to modify it.

Thanks

Update: So this really stinks. The fix above worked yesterday, but today it isn't. When I log in, I am stuck in the quick play and can't log in. I'm a guild master and I can't pick a conquest or anything else. This is now impacting my whole guild. Please fix quickly.

Edited by TheBeerDude

This new patch is worse than Kathleen Kennedy's lack mis management of Disney's Farse Wars VIII and IX. Can't even log in now without the game forcing me to play a level 1 on a level 1 starting planet while the game downloads and stays at 0%. Why haven't you added the new character quick play mode bug to known issues for lame patch 6.1.2 ? Question: Did you not back up the servers before you installed patch. Its obvious this patch was not tested first. Can't wait for the Covid Vaccine that is skipping animal trials. Edited by Mavrx
Because I needed to

Cette nouvelle barre social n'est là que pour tester notre résilience a l'introduction de publicité commerciale déguisé.

Avant, pour voir les publicités fallait aller les chercher, maintenant elle est imposé.

Et je parle pas de la cochonnerie qu'ils ont fait pour le panneau conquête

Edited by Tsunho

Hello

About the screen char selection bug or quick play bug :

Best solution for me

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/GUIDE-Launcher-Stuck-at-0-or-100-Complete/m-p/5282877#M28

This Guide Applies to the Streaming Launcher Only

If the launcher is stopping at 100% complete and no play button and/or 0% on trying to re-install, check the following as an initial step

Windows key + R and type

services.msc

Press Enter and scroll down to find 'BitRaider Mini-Support Service'.

Right-click 'BitRaider Mini-Support Service Stub Loader' and select Properties.

Change the Startup Type to 'Automatic' and click Apply then Start then OK.

If using AVG ensure this is removed from the "put to sleep unless activated" list in the AVG maintenance

To trigger a file verification after the above follow the below directions

close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut, select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder.

Then start the launcher

Note: If you have converted to non-streaming per this link but still seeing the quick play mode UI when you're in-game, just delete the BitRaider folder again and that should do it.

It worked for me.

As for this:

New update.

We added the Crew Skills bug in the known issues list:

• Players in some situations had their rank 700 Crew Skills downranked to 600.

It's worse than I thought. My characters that PAID to unlock the lvl 700 skill then level them up have all been reduced back down to 600/600 instead of 700/700. It seems to be affecting gathering and mission skills but not the crafting skill. This pissed me right off. Why did we bother paying the 500K to unlock, the time and credit costs to level the skill (e.g. UW trading) only for you to **** it right up? And you can't blame in-house changes due to Covid-19; you break many, many things every time you do an update. Grrrrrr :mad:

I put a ticket in about this before it was acknowledged as an issue here and got this response a few mins ago:

I have reviewed your case and would like to inform you that the crewskill window is showing a bug and this is a known issue which is being worked upon from our studios, so I request you to kindly repair the game by following the troubleshooting below as it could resolve the issue showing the correct value of your crew skill:

Go to the Installation Folder for SWTOR. The default installations folders are:

32-bit operating systems - C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

64-bit operating systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\

Open the BitRaider folder and delete all files ending in ‘.XFR’

Delete the Config folder.

Restart your Computer(Critically Important).

Restart the Launcher.

I hope this visual bug is repaired after the repatching of the game if stil you face the visual bug I would request you to kindly report the issue as a bug, to submit a bug, you can type /bug in your chat window or select Bug Report from the drop down when creating a new ticket in the In-Game Help Center.If you've done that already, we thank you for doing the same.

This CS response is contradictory (and I'm pretty sure rolling back our crew skill from 700 to 600 IS NOT A VISUAL ERROR).

What is going on Bioware? Bug or not bug. Whatever's gone wrong it's still a colossal **** up. But less so than that social bar nonsense.

I still believe that the cap raising to 700 was an error, bug, what have you, caused by the double xp patch. I think they saw it. They realized they couldn't rectify the error without messing up the double xp and the BH event, that was messed up anyways. I think they decided to leave it place. Once a new patch was released, 6.1.2, they decided to revert the error caused by the double xp patch. They expected no one would say anything or care. Players would just be leveling anyways so crafting wouldn't be an issue. Everyone saw that you could get to 700 without having to pay and decided to max out their crafting skills. Now that the mistake has been corrected they are saying "in some situations" "certain players" are having an issue.

They bugged it up. Failed to correct it when they noticed it. Left it in place for 3 months. Now they have decided to correct the issue. I would bet the farm they knew all of this at the time. They just need to say it. We messed it up. It wasn't meant to be a thing. It was a thing so we're removing the requirement for level 700 crafting. They can parse who paid and who didn't. Find something to compensate the ones that paid and move on. It seems they're going to stick to their guns and call it a "bug." Pure nonsense.

I still believe that the cap raising to 700 was an error, bug, what have you, caused by the double xp patch. I think they saw it. They realized they couldn't rectify the error without messing up the double xp and the BH event, that was messed up anyways. I think they decided to leave it place. Once a new patch was released, 6.1.2, they decided to revert the error caused by the double xp patch. They expected no one would say anything or care. Players would just be leveling anyways so crafting wouldn't be an issue. Everyone saw that you could get to 700 without having to pay and decided to max out their crafting skills. Now that the mistake has been corrected they are saying "in some situations" "certain players" are having an issue.

They bugged it up. Failed to correct it when they noticed it. Left it in place for 3 months. Now they have decided to correct the issue. I would bet the farm they knew all of this at the time. They just need to say it. We messed it up. It wasn't meant to be a thing. It was a thing so we're removing the requirement for level 700 crafting. They can parse who paid and who didn't. Find something to compensate the ones that paid and move on. It seems they're going to stick to their guns and call it a "bug." Pure nonsense.

Regardless of how it came to be, the current official response states it as a bug that it is reverted to 600. There have been no mentioning about paid or unpaid option. Thus any suggestions of the ability to level to 700 was a bug is pure fan speculation at this point. All responses from Bioware officials on this forum indicates that the reversion to 600 is a bug and not intended. What is troublesome in my eyes is that BioWare given the high confusing among the player base and the many speculations does not clarify it sufficiently, alternative they want to understand the root cause in the engine code before they go out and state anything in more details.