New Playable Races (Species)

MrParrcheezy

Ithorians won't happen. Their mouth design would cause a lot of problems with dialogues and romance scenes. On top of that, they have a different body build and so all the armour sets would basically be useless. Also, I don't believe Ithorians speak Galactic Basic? I could be wrong, but I have not seen an Ithorian speaking Basic yet and that's a huge deal breaker because of the voice actors. Because of these three reasons, Ithorians will never become a playable species in SWTOR.

Bothans are a different story and I could see them becoming a playable species sometime in the future. They have the correct mouth design, they speak Galactic Basic (English), their body types would fit the ingame armour textures and there would be no issues in terms of lore. I believe we may see them as a playable species someday.

As to the Mon Calamari, it's a close call. Either their mouth design will be considered just human enough to become a playable race or it will be deemed just that tiny bit too alien. Their body designs wouldn't cause too many issues I think, perhaps only with the hands and from a lore perspective everything checks out. But the mouth design will be the deciding factor whether they'll become a playable species or not.

Ithorian PC goes in for a kiss with their LI. LI's head ends up in Ithorian's mouth. According to Wookieepedia, Ithorians can speak basic. "Abroad, Ithorians integrated well with the Galactic community. Their own language was incredibly beautiful, yet difficult to learn, as the Ithorians had twin mouths on opposite sides of their necks. Fortunately, they could speak Basic, albeit with a strange accent." Tangent, I really wish BW would release some customizations for Choza. I especially like the look of Master Quilljayk from Tython.

Bothans would work as well as Cathar, which is to say they'd work.

Mon Calamari. At first I thought they would work, basically standard body types (except for the arms, which shouldn't be a problem), and they speak Basic, but then I put Guss next to other BT2 male comps and noticed something. Guss's head, actually their neck, is longer/larger than other heads putting their mouth about on level with the nose of other BT2 comps. And that would be a problem. LI's would end up kissing your neck without changes to the cutscenes, and I don't see that happening.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ithorians won't happen. Their mouth design would cause a lot of problems with dialogues and romance scenes. On top of that, they have a different body build and so all the armour sets would basically be useless. Also, I don't believe Ithorians speak Galactic Basic? I could be wrong, but I have not seen an Ithorian speaking Basic yet and that's a huge deal breaker because of the voice actors. Because of these three reasons, Ithorians will never become a playable species in SWTOR.

Bothans are a different story and I could see them becoming a playable species sometime in the future. They have the correct mouth design, they speak Galactic Basic (English), their body types would fit the ingame armour textures and there would be no issues in terms of lore. I believe we may see them as a playable species someday.

As to the Mon Calamari, it's a close call. Either their mouth design will be considered just human enough to become a playable race or it will be deemed just that tiny bit too alien. Their body designs wouldn't cause too many issues I think, perhaps only with the hands and from a lore perspective everything checks out. But the mouth design will be the deciding factor whether they'll become a playable species or not.

I am 100% throwing shade at the SWToR team...I know Ithorians will never be playable. Thanks for following up though I always enjoy reading your posts.

I guess... I don't know, maybe I'm weird. But like -- Star Wars has always had weird and bizarre aliens, yes, but the weird and bizarre aliens have just been background pieces, momentary oddities, little things to create a sense of wonder. They're never the focus, never the protagonist.

And so I guess I can get the desire to just play different things, but I really don't think it's unreasonable for a SW game to stick to, well, what's always been the focus: Humans and near-humans.

I think they should mostly focus on Near-Humans for now (mostly Echani, Zeltron and Keshiri)

I'd love to be able to play a Nikto, but i don't know how feasible it is.

As for the less human-like aliens, maybe they could use them as holo-disguise, like the Hutt one. That would let people have a bit of fun with more exotic species while discarding the "basic speaking-kissable lips-regular human shape" problems

Edited by Goreshaga

I am 100% throwing shade at the SWToR team...I know Ithorians will never be playable. Thanks for following up though I always enjoy reading your posts.

Thank you! That's lovely to hear :) well, the part that you like reading my posts, the shade throwing part is a very, very bad *wags finger*

From your list of three species though, I'd for real like the Bothans to become a playable race. We see very little of them but they have always been an integral part of Star Wars ("Many Bothans died, to bring us this information"). I'd love to have a Bothan Trooper or, to spice things up a bit, a Bothan Imperial Agent. Bothans always had been good spies and seeing as how Bothawui is under Imperial control, Imperial Intelligence could have recruited one for spy work.

It's just silly to want playable species that aren't close to humanoid. ex: Let my wookie romance Elara!

If that's the case, I want to play as a Hutt: *to Jaesa, "Give me some sugar, baby" (giant slimy tongue comes out), while telling henchman to fight for me.

Closer to human looking the more believable the romances. Many of us don't like playing species that are too far out there, also. Many maybe~ one toon a Cathar, Naut, Togruta, but that's it for everyone i know. See multiple toons for Chiss, because they are close to humanoid and easier to relate to (and some of us like being able to display a headpiece)

These close humanoid species in game, please:

#1: Keshiri

#2: Zeltron

#3: Echani

... stick with close humanoid

Edited by Willjb

It's just silly to want playable species that aren't close to humanoid. ex: Let my wookie romance Elara!

If that's the case, I want to play as a Hutt: *to Jaesa, "Give me some sugar, baby" (giant slimy tongue comes out), while telling henchman to fight for me.

Closer to human looking the more believable the romances. Many of us don't like playing species that are too far out there, also. Many maybe~ one toon a Cathar, Naut, Togruta, but that's it for everyone i know. See multiple toons for Chiss, because they are close to humanoid and easier to relate to (and some of us like being able to display a headpiece)

These close humanoid species in game, please:

#1: Keshiri

#2: Zeltron

#3: Echani

... stick with close humanoid

I think they can go along the lines of Chagrians or Khaleesh, if you ask me. I especially hope the Chagrians become a playable species on the future, I'd love to have one as a Sith Inquisitor :)

And well... technically you can play like a Hutt already with the disguise decoration...

Which, honestly, is something that I'd love to see more of. Those disguise decorations would work perfectly for those who'd want to parade as a Hutt or Wookie in their SH. I know a few people who use the disguise to RP Hutt crimelords. Bioware could release more of those, so people could parade around as Rodians, Ithorians or whatever for a bit. It's not the same as them being a playable species, but it's the closest thing they'll get.

I think they can go along the lines of Chagrians or Khaleesh, if you ask me. I especially hope the Chagrians become a playable species on the future, I'd love to have one as a Sith Inquisitor :)

And well... technically you can play like a Hutt already with the disguise decoration...

Which, honestly, is something that I'd love to see more of. Those disguise decorations would work perfectly for those who'd want to parade as a Hutt or Wookie in their SH. I know a few people who use the disguise to RP Hutt crimelords. Bioware could release more of those, so people could parade around as Rodians, Ithorians or whatever for a bit. It's not the same as them being a playable species, but it's the closest thing they'll get.

I agree the disguise terminals are great and they should put out more, it could do a lot of good with those really alien species. Would love to play as a Khaleesh in robotic form like General Grievous and quad-wield! (The other one is meh: not a fan of four super long horns: I'd never play it, would be yet another species with no head slot :( .) Non-robotic Khaleesh, no ty, not interesting.

Most of all, really want to make Keshiri and/ or Zeltron toons, among some other [close humanoids]

Edited by Willjb

ive always thought it would be cool to add the Voss.. i know from a lore PoV it could be difficult but then again you have pureblood sith on republic side and cathar and such on imp side so nothing really makes "sense" anymore..

They could use the same voice lines and just do the modulate ability on them. They already have the lore of force and non-force users. They use the human model so should fit all the gear and they have male / female and different color options already. And with Sana-Rae (and others in various quests) they sorta pick sides in the end.. would just be weird doing the Voss quests as a Voss and being called an "outsider"

Thank you! That's lovely to hear :) well, the part that you like reading my posts, the shade throwing part is a very, very bad *wags finger*

From your list of three species though, I'd for real like the Bothans to become a playable race. We see very little of them but they have always been an integral part of Star Wars ("Many Bothans died, to bring us this information"). I'd love to have a Bothan Trooper or, to spice things up a bit, a Bothan Imperial Agent. Bothans always had been good spies and seeing as how Bothawui is under Imperial control, Imperial Intelligence could have recruited one for spy work.

If I were to cast a real vote it would be for playable Bothans for sure.

The species like Bothans, Khaleesh, and other more out there aliens require A LOT more work to make than close humanoid species that are more just changing skin pigment; also, I seriously doubt many people would want to play as a Bothan, they look like goats. Romancing on such species looks downright silly. Same with Khaleesh and other more out there species - hit or miss, wouldn't expect a lot of play value other than 1 toon, maybe~. Edited by Willjb

The species like Bothans, Khaleesh, and other more out there aliens require A LOT more work to make than close humanoid species that are more just changing skin pigment; also, I seriously doubt many people would want to play as a Bothan, they look like goats. Romancing on such species looks downright silly. Same with Khaleesh and other more out there species - hit or miss, wouldn't expect a lot of play value other than 1 toon, maybe~.

That's your opinion my friend. Just because you find the Bothans silly doesn't mean that others think the same. Remember, your opinion is not representative of the wider, general public opinion, unless you have proof it is :)

Voss and contrary to the nonsense being said in the Voss topic there are already Voss in the galaxy. Rare yes but they exist. No reason a Voss cannot have been told by a Mystic that they are to leave Voss because of a vision. Not all Voss want to stay isolated on a single planet anyway. The Voss met in class quests now are nonconventional.

The only problem with Voss as playable is how they would be treated during Voss missions.

Basic is only English on English language servers, it may also be French or German on the appropriate servers.

That's your opinion my friend. Just because you find the Bothans silly doesn't mean that others think the same. Remember, your opinion is not representative of the wider, general public opinion, unless you have proof it is :)

^ I never claimed they were. I said ROMANCING a Bothan and a human /close-humanoid does look silly. But, I don't I think you're intentionally red herring the issue of romancing a goat, pretty much. And remember, a prediction is not the same as a definitive statement, as it won't be certain until (if) it happens, but I don't expect much traction with this species.

The species where one can't use their head slot, I don't see used as near as much as say, Humans, Miriluka and Chiss (which are more versatile, not to mention tend to be more relatable - I'd hope that's common sense). The last 2 species = No head slots visible: to add yet~ 1 more useless head-slot species------> NO THX.

But saying Bothans species is a good choice is not "representative of the wider, general public opinion, unless you have proof it is" as you put it, either. *FACTS: not everyone is going to be as enthused as you over this species; and, THEY WOULD require more work than making a close humanoid that only requires a change of skin pigment; thus, close humanoids being able to be in game with less resources used and faster;)

Edited by Willjb

From your list of three species though, I'd for real like the Bothans to become a playable race. We see very little of them but they have always been an integral part of Star Wars ("Many Bothans died, to bring us this information").

^ OFF screen. Never actually see them in a movie. Not integral, just 1 time name mention in 1 line.

Edited by Willjb

• 2 weeks later...
^ I never claimed they were. I said ROMANCING a Bothan and a human /close-humanoid does look silly. But, I don't I think you're intentionally red herring the issue of romancing a goat, pretty much. And remember, a prediction is not the same as a definitive statement, as it won't be certain until (if) it happens, but I don't expect much traction with this species.

The species where one can't use their head slot, I don't see used as near as much as say, Humans, Miriluka and Chiss (which are more versatile, not to mention tend to be more relatable - I'd hope that's common sense). The last 2 species = No head slots visible: to add yet~ 1 more useless head-slot species------> NO THX.

But saying Bothans species is a good choice is not "representative of the wider, general public opinion, unless you have proof it is" as you put it, either. *FACTS: not everyone is going to be as enthused as you over this species; and, THEY WOULD require more work than making a close humanoid that only requires a change of skin pigment; thus, close humanoids being able to be in game with less resources used and faster;)

You misunderstand me, I merely said that I'd like the Bothans as a playable species, not that the Bothans have to become a playable species. You have all the right in the world to disagree with me, I merely pointed out that your opinion isn't a universal truth. Neither is my opinion a universal truth for that matter, I never claimed such a thing.

And I don't think your comment about romancing a goat really holds up. I mean, we have aliens with headtails romancing humans, catlike people romancing other catlike people. In the end, this is a space fantasy and within the realms of that universe we aren't constrained by the perceptions of the real world :p In a universe like Star Wars there's an endless amount of possibilities to explore and see.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the dev team shouldn't create more near-humans species. I have always supported the notion of getting more of those as playable races as well. I'd love to see the Zeltron, the Echani, the Arkanians or other near-humans as playable races ingame. However, that doesn't mean I can't have the opinion that I'd like to see more alien-looking species added as well, such as the Chagrians or the Kaleesh.

I don't see a reason why the dev team couldn't add in a humanoid looking species like the Zeltron first, followed by a more alien-looking species like the Chagrians afterwards. One opinion or preference doesn't exclude the other one.

^ OFF screen. Never actually see them in a movie. Not integral, just 1 time name mention in 1 line.

Then I guess you never watched SWTOR's Galactic Timeline video about Bothawui :p and sure, it may only be one mention but it's still a mention. I don't entirely understand why you seem so offended by the Bothans. As I said, I wouldn't mind it if they became a playable species, but I don't see it as something that must happen. I simply said it would be a nice idea and explained why, nothing more.

P.S. I have replied to this thread as someone else in another thread was expressing their dissatisfaction with my lack of reply in here. It even resulted in false accusations and as such, I deemed to appropriate to reply to you.

Edited by Ylliarus

my vote for Wookie

want to see them since the firs game run as sith warrior)

many talk that Wookie is not a good choice becuse they need new armour and old armour dont be visible BUT I think all we need to see visible in Wookie-cha is belt and bracelets. all other armour can be hidden and Wookie will be looking good as they are - just add many colors in cha-creation editor, maybe some hairstyles and jewelry for hair and neck

Although we may never get some of the spieces people want, I think the disguise terminals would be a great option, especially for RP'rs. But maybe have them work in non combat areas, ie fleet, etc. So you can put your disguise on, and leave the stronghold, go to fleet, and still keep the disguise. Or even if you could keep it on plant, untill you engage in a fight, etc. Just a rough though, I'm sure it could be polished up better, etc. But it might be an idea to get more variety, etc.

Although we may never get some of the spieces people want, I think the disguise terminals would be a great option, especially for RP'rs. But maybe have them work in non combat areas, ie fleet, etc. So you can put your disguise on, and leave the stronghold, go to fleet, and still keep the disguise. Or even if you could keep it on plant, untill you engage in a fight, etc. Just a rough though, I'm sure it could be polished up better, etc. But it might be an idea to get more variety, etc.

It would probably be the best idea for the less human looking species who don't fit the "basic speaking - fit the 4 body types - needs to look alright during romance cutscenes" requirements that ou PCs have to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Weequay!

Come on, everybody loves Hondo Ohnaka and I'm sure many people would love to play as weequays. It would be a dream come true in this game, living through the pirate/smuggler story and looking for the most profitable deals. I'm certain I'm not the only person who shares this opinion. I guess it's not that possible for Weequays to ever be playable but hey... never tell me the ods.

I don't know if it's been discussed before or not, but why not add Gand, Sarkhai, Wookie, and Mon Calamari as Playable species?

Not a single one of these would work for various reasons.

Gand can't speak basic and don't even have their mouths visible so how would they kiss?

Sarkai, as much as they could work gameplay wise, would shatter the lore more than a Sith Pureblood Smuggler.

Wookiees can't speak basic like Gand plus they're too tall. They'd only be able to use body type 3 unless you wanna shatter the lore. Plus they can't wear armor the same way.

Mon Calamari are a million times fishier than Nautolans, which is as not human-like as I bet Bioware is willing to go.

Also the voices wouldn't at all fit with Gand, Wookiees, and Mon Calamari.

Zeltron, Keshiri, Echani, Pureblood Sith (1/2 sith, 1/2 human) (in that order).

(No species that look ridiculous with character romances (I don't want to play a big green rat/rodian, or fishy))

I'd agree with Zeltron but I think they'd be too similar to Sith.

Keshiri would be too similar to Chiss plus they wouldn't work in terms of lore.

You can already kinda make an Echani by giving a Human white hair and white eyes.

And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Sith Purebloods in the game already kinda part human due to interbreeding?