In Praise of the 6.1.1 Conquest Overhaul

xordevoreaux

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anybody else havin fun with this? passer byers? :)

IMO... a side affect that's been good : General chat not filled with so much distain and trash ! Not sure how (if at all ) they are connected …

But even that area has been in a better mood the last few weeks.

We needed this as a community !!

IMO... a side affect that's been good : General chat not filled with so much distain and trash ! Not sure how (if at all ) they are connected …

But even that area has been in a better mood the last few weeks.

We needed this as a community !!

I still see a lot of trolls in gen chat, idiots, wannabes, etc. But I've also seen a lot more helpful people too, seems to be more people willing to help, answr questions, etc.

I still see a lot of trolls in gen chat, idiots, wannabes, etc. But I've also seen a lot more helpful people too, seems to be more people willing to help, answr questions, etc.

The trolls are visible because they are the exception. The majority of people are kind and helpful, but because that's the standard it's less visible, as twisted as it sounds. But at least we know there's more of the good ones than the bad :)

Edited by Ylliarus

The trolls are visible because they are the exception. The majority of people are kind and helpful, but because that's the standard it's less visible, as twisted as it sounds. But at least we know there's more of the good ones than the bad :)

agreed ..

If there is one thing we can always use more of …

I get the whole bad azz … don't mess with this internet thing …

But most folks I know think that sort of attitude died out with the dinosaurs !!

Hang in there development team !!

Ugh, I'm on my phone and wanted to quote you OlBuzzard, but the button is beyond the screen when on phone and I can't click it xD

But yes, positivity is absolutely something that should be seen and heard in this game. I am certain that a majority of the players feels positive sentiments towards this game, because otherwise they wouldn't be playing it. But the handful of people who have negative views on SWTOR are the ones that speak up, while the majority remains silent. It's why it's so important that those who feel positive about the game should speak up, so that the silent majority can also be heard :)

Edited by Ylliarus

I thought of something else, with the way this is and we can play all our alts, I don't forget how to play my alts because I am playing them every week now.

The only downside, which is entirely on me and is more than outweighed by the benefits of playing my alts is...

Sometimes if I've been playing a character for a couple hours and switch but ... I have a rotation in my head which is no longer applicable. As in, I'll hit "Throw Plasma Grenade" but since I'm on my Healer I sit there like a ninny and heal myself for no reason.

At least I was smart enough to bind interrupts and cleanse / removals to the same key on all my characters.

But, as I said, the benefits of playing alts far outweigh the first galaxy problems I just articulated.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

The only downside, which is entirely on me and is more than outweighed by the benefits of playing my alts is...

Sometimes if I've been playing a character for a couple hours and switch but ... I have a rotation in my head which is no longer applicable. As in, I'll hit "Throw Plasma Grenade" but since I'm on my Healer I sit there like a ninny and heal myself for no reason.

At least I was smart enough to bind interrupts and cleanse / removals to the same key on all my characters.

But, as I said, the benefits of playing alts far outweigh the first galaxy problems I just articulated.

Dasty

Wait until you've played two back to back smugglers (key binds in the same place to insure continuity when playing) Run Balmora, Illum then Yavin 4 on both.

Now then I switch over the my JK … totally different set up with a totally different style of play !! and we hit Nathema !! :D

OOPS !

HELLO !!! Nap time over !!

:D

Dasty

It can be an issue. I try to KB like for like abilities / GCD / Rotations in as similar places as possible. But I also don’t fully KB cause my small hands can’t reach and I only have a FPS mouse with limited programmable keys.

One thing I do wish Bioware would do is revert the pop up window on health packs back to the same as the other ability popups. Changing them was never needed and causes me problems seeing whole parts of my GUI. Mine aren’t KB, so when I have to move my mouse over them in pvp, they block out my health bar and sometimes I can’t see when to use them at the right time.

It’s an example of Bioware changing something that wasn’t broken and didn’t need “fixing” and wasn’t asked for. If they won’t revert it back to the old pop up window, at least let us edit the pop window in the GUI so we can move it somewhere out of the way.

As a former chronic Karagga Palace and Eternity Vault mob farmer, I can 100% percent confirm that this new conquest system is very good and it's the best I've seen so far.

After 2 weeks of not really playing EV farms ( only 2 farms in weeks), I reached my 50k goal on 17 characters this week with not much of an effort. I just did quests and now my alts are happy because there is a reason to play them.

Good job Bioware.

What's noticeable is that for example on Darth Malgus the guilds that used to be top on CQ boards are not doing so anymore. Not sure why that is.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

What's noticeable is that for example on Darth Malgus the guilds that used to be top on CQ boards are not doing so anymore. Not sure why that is.

Could it be that not every multiplayer community SWTOR has is madly in love with the notion of doing soloable planetaries instead of multiplayer stuff?:jawa_wink:

Edited by Stradlin

Perhaps since they're not the only ones with a capable path toward uberness in conquest they've met their match and gave up.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Perhaps since they're not the only ones with a capable path toward uberness in conquest they've met their match and gave up.

There is another completely plausible theory as well, though not mutually exclusive and a variety of explanations can co-exist. Any hoo...

Let's stipulate that guilds are motivated by different activities / goals and those motivations can even vary week by week.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that some guilds are motivated by gear acquisition for its members and enjoy the challenge of group activities. Nothing has changed with the current system about the fastest way to get BiS for PvE -- multiplayer group activities. In the past, however, you also had near exclusivity on Conquest point acquisition.

Put differently, Conquest points were an ancillary byproduct of doing the activities some guilds already found most enjoyable for both gear acquisition and the challenge. I have no doubt they still want to achieve Planetary Yields, but those are easy now for any guild, even one person vanity guilds.

For those guilds primarily interested in gear acquisition and the challenge -- nothing has changed. Yes, their natural placement on Conquest leaderboards does, but that is not something they really care about, though that may vary by week.

At the end of the day it boils down to something quite simple: Many of the critics of the new Conquest system are annoyed that they are no longer as special as they once were - that eight months into Onslaught - BW has breathed new life into the game and other people have a more viable route to gearing, gathering Stronghold decorations, and collecting Strategic Resource Matrices. Critics grossly exaggerate the rewards from Conquest crates b/c they want to protect their previously held oligopolies.

Boo hoo,

Dasty

P.S. I have acquired three Conquest crates this morning and supplemented my Amplified Champion's and Victor's sets accordingly. If I run 5 more characters through today, I will have acquired enough Tech Fragments to buy one Tactical or piece of Set Gear of my choice (minus a couple sets exclusive to Dxun).

P.P.S. Per my post in my other thread, I am doing Gamorrean belly button shots of Alderaanian Nectar every time I get a piece of Amp's or Vic's. If I get a piece of Undying or Slow Road, I do two. I expect to be sloshed pretty soon! :rak_03:

Edited by Jdast

There is another completely plausible theory as well, though not mutually exclusive and a variety of explanations can co-exist. Any hoo...

Let's stipulate that guilds are motivated by different activities / goals and those motivations can even vary week by week.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption that some guilds are motivated by gear acquisition for its members and enjoy the challenge of group activities. Nothing has changed with the current system about the fastest way to get BiS for PvE -- multiplayer group activities. In the past, however, you also had near exclusivity on Conquest point acquisition.

Put differently, Conquest points were an ancillary byproduct of doing the activities some guilds already found most enjoyable for both gear acquisition and the challenge. I have no doubt they still want to achieve Planetary Yields, but those are easy now for any guild, even one person vanity guilds.

For those guilds primarily interested in gear acquisition and the challenge -- nothing has changed. Yes, their natural placement on Conquest leaderboards does, but that is not something they really care about, though that may vary by week.

At the end of the day it boils down to something quite simple: Many of the critics of the new Conquest system are annoyed that they are no longer as special as they once were - that eight months into Onslaught - BW has breathed new life into the game and other people have a more viable route to gearing, gathering Stronghold decorations, and collecting Strategic Resource Matrices. Critics grossly exaggerate the rewards from Conquest crates b/c they want to protect their previously held oligopolies.

Boo hoo,

Dasty

P.S. I have acquired three Conquest crates this morning and supplemented my Amplified Champion's and Victor's sets accordingly. If I run 5 more characters through today, I will have acquired enough Tech Fragments to buy one Tactical or piece of Set Gear of my choice (minus a couple sets exclusive to Dxun).

P.P.S. Per my post in my other thread, I am doing Gamorrean belly button shots of Alderaanian Nectar every time I get a piece of Amp's or Vic's. If I get a piece of Undying or Slow Road, I do two. I expect to be sloshed pretty soon! :rak_03:

Ah Dasty ….

When will you ever learn. Some folks are more annoyed by … (you know … ) actual facts. This is ESPECIALLY true when you mentioned that part about breathing new life into one aspect of the game that was all but dead ! (And frankly for many of … self included … CQ's were a dead issue.)

Others get offended by a decision or part of BW policies and go on a rant pointing out every sing thing that (in their opinion) is a problem, bug or decision that they personally disfavor.

Again (as you just said) … boo hoo !

NO … that does not minimize the importance of addressing OTHER issues (like bug squashing) …

YES … the reality is that CQ's are definitely light years ahead of where they once were.

RETURN to the old ways … no thanks !

I don't know..

This new system seem to favor guilds with very active population ... (50 or more online in prime times) . These type of guilds have emerged to the top on Darth Malgus. One of these guilds had over 100 people online not so long ago . Those players are all doing something in the game,which results in points. Heck, you get 5k points just by using a taxi... :D .

I am not sure how was it in the past, as I wasn't a huge fan of conquest and it's mechanics, in other words, I have no idea what's different now. But, I think this current system is the most alt friendly I've seen in my 5 years of playing this game.

I think this current system is the most alt friendly I've seen in my 5 years of playing this game.

I was just telling my guildies that the same thing last night on Discord that 6.1.1 conquest is the best thing EA has done in six years with SWTOR.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I don't know..

This new system seem to favor guilds with very active population ... (50 or more online in prime times) . These type of guilds have emerged to the top on Darth Malgus. One of these guilds had over 100 people online not so long ago . Those players are all doing something in the game,which results in points. Heck, you get 5k points just by using a taxi... :D .

I am not sure how was it in the past, as I wasn't a huge fan of conquest and it's mechanics, in other words, I have no idea what's different now. But, I think this current system is the most alt friendly I've seen in my 5 years of playing this game.

CQ has always been about the most active guilds, on SF, that hasn't changed, it's the same guilds on top, more or less. If it changes, it's because a guild has become less active. The biggest change, and in my opinion the best change is what you've said (and many others), it's more alt friendly, and as I've pointed out in many threads, the ONLY people who haven't benefitted from this are the mat sellers, as the mats have become cheaper, but even then, they can still benefit by getting more toons through CQ, so they'll have more mats to sell. No matter what content you enjoy, you can earns points doing other stuff without taking you too far from what you like.

CQ has always been about the most active guilds, on SF, that hasn't changed, it's the same guilds on top, more or less. If it changes, it's because a guild has become less active. The biggest change, and in my opinion the best change is what you've said (and many others), it's more alt friendly, and as I've pointed out in many threads, the ONLY people who haven't benefitted from this are the mat sellers, as the mats have become cheaper, but even then, they can still benefit by getting more toons through CQ, so they'll have more mats to sell. No matter what content you enjoy, you can earns points doing other stuff without taking you too far from what you like.

The best par of this system is that this week I reached conquest goal on all my active 20 characters and I was able to play my main a lot.

Before the change, I was stuck in farming mobs in ops on my alts which sucked away time from playing my main .

The best par of this system is that this week I reached conquest goal on all my active 20 characters and I was able to play my main a lot.

Before the change, I was stuck in farming mobs in ops on my alts which sucked away time from playing my main .

Excatly, and that is why 99% of us love the new system, and support it. It's opened up CQ to more people, enabled small guilds to particapte easier, and get FS plans, plus has helped new players level up, gear up, aand make a little extra credits quicker than they normally would.