Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

You Can't Change Your Advanced Class!?!?!

HossDelgado

Being stuck as being pure dps as a Marauder is terribad.

One of the reasons I rerolled Rift.

so because YOU picked a class that couldnt tank this is somehow BWs fault and they should change their game to make up for your inability to make an informed decision?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so because YOU picked a class that couldnt tank this is somehow BWs fault and they should change their game to make up for your inability to make an informed decision?

^ I believe good sir that is what they are insinuating... on a lighter note the whole idea of changing Advanced Classes is a horrible idea if you didnt like your choice in the long wrong do what most people end up doing and reroll another toon seriously....

^ I believe good sir that is what they are insinuating... on a lighter note the whole idea of changing Advanced Classes is a horrible idea if you didnt like your choice in the long wrong do what most people end up doing and reroll another toon seriously....

i know right! the sheer amount of crying happening on the forums is rediculous. does the assassin and the sorcerer share several abilities, story, companions and ship? yes. guess how many classes share those same things with the sorcerer and assassin? NONE.

that means there is 14 other ACs with 7 different storylines, ships, and companions for you to try. instead of complaining about having to play the same story over (even though your can play it different since they actually give you choices) pick a new class with a new story and stop all this pointless ************.

in every other MMO i have ever played (been over 15 years so quite a few) there has never been more the 1 or 2 storylines if any. if you wanted to play a new class you had to play the exact same content over again, and again, and again.... then BW comes along and makes 8 storylines to play through and you guys sit here and complain about it. you people make me weep for the species.

I don't understand why people are making comparisons to WoW. A Sniper and an Operative share Abilities and a Talent Tree. There should be severe penalties to change your advanced class, but I don't feel it would "break" the game.

I feel that if you were to incorporate something to the effect of a three month cool down or hefty credit charge...or hey lets get crazy and say both...that would deter people from "advanced class hopping." You could also make it a one time deal (though I'm sure this would put you back at square one when people realize they preferred their former advanced class).

At the end of the day it's the communities money, and if there is a big enough movement to offer helpful suggestions of how to incorporate "advanced specialty shifts" it will become available. So stop complaining and start brainstorming.

Honestly I think they should simply do this.

2 Missions. One available at level 25, the other available at level 50.

Each allows you if you so desire to change your AC. Each is a one-time deal.

I was thinking the same thing except for levels 20 and 40.

Why is there still an argument? It's been announced. They're implementing it in the future. Why're you guys still trying to tell people that they shouldn't be allowed to have fun in the game? People make mistakes. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean you're the only person playing.

Why is there still an argument? It's been announced. They're implementing it in the future. Why're you guys still trying to tell people that they shouldn't be allowed to have fun in the game? People make mistakes. Just because you didn't, doesn't mean you're the only person playing.

Mind showing where they official announced that it is 100% going to be implemented, also I'm not talking about any "maybe" or "We're thinking about it" but a very specific announcement that states without a doubt they're doing it..

The dev in the video didn't say maybe.

That wasn't the latest interview. the latest interview was at the beginning of december and in that he says maybe. So next time when I say read the latest interview, read the latest interview.

So stop complaining and start brainstorming.

You do understand that a lot of people don't want this feature added in right?

Not on a 3 or 6 month timer, not on a 1,000,000 credit per use cost.

Don't want it period.

Feel free to disagree, but people like that are not about to try and help you figure out a way to add something in that they don't think should be allowed ever.

I dont understand why it is so difficult to give ppl to change AC.

Both AC of ech class got:

1.Same story, all same

2.Shared talant tree

3.Near 70-80% of same talants

So if I want to play different AC I need to play not only same quests (like in other MMORPG's) but also same abilties and same talants and I must do this only to have 5 new talants from other AC?

This is really strange.

In WoW different classes are different classes, not totally same.

I dont understand why it is so difficult to give ppl to change AC.

Both AC of ech class got:

1.Same story, all same

2.Shared talant tree

3.Near 70-80% of same talants

So if I want to play different AC I need to play not only same quests (like in other MMORPG's) but also same abilties and same talants and I must do this only to have 5 new talants from other AC?

This is really strange.

No class shares 70-80% of the same talents. Even the shared trees have differences in them. This game is not WoW. Other games have classes share talents, abilities, gear, and story.

Edited by Noth

In TOR the difference between a Seer and Shadow is bigger then the difference between a Warrior and a Paladin in WoW.

When you can switch between those two, then you might have a point.

But as it stands now, there's a huge difference between many of the classes in TOR.

Cant change my AC!? ZOMG!!! Way to through that one at us from left field Bioware.

If only I could create multiple characters. Oh, wait... well, what if I want to play on the same server... oh, wait. Well... ok. I got nothing. See sig.

Edited by Pinguaq

What if you missclicked like me?

BTW About the first page ppl complaining u cant go from hunter to warlock it has both pets why not?

WHAT ABOUT ELE SHAMAN AND ENH SHAMAN. THEY ARE LIKE TOTALLY DIFFRENT.

Edited by vinnia

What if you missclicked like me?

Takes 2-3 hours tops to get back to 10.

But I would and have said this many times, would support some sort of AC respec that is usable once, and expires between 15 and 20. Yes then people would start demanding one more... Because they were wrong.

But that's not any different really then what we have now.

Edited by VanorDM

I would have probably changed my advanced class every other level if this feature would have been added initially (at this point I can get through Tython and Coruscant in my sleep).

Around lvl 17 or 18, the game starts to force you to play your advanced class optimally and you start to get buyers remorse over whatever class you've picked and get the "grass is always greener syndrome" wishing you had picked the other advanced class.

I started as a Guardian, got to 17 or 18, wished I'd picked Sent., re-rolled Sent., got to 17 or 18 and wished I'd stayed with the Guardian. Played the Guardian a little more and rolled a Smuggler. Loved how fast I could take things down and NOT die as a Smuggler, eventually Gunslinger, until I thought about how much better the Scoundrel would have been. Rolled a scoundrel and got to around level 12 before I started to miss my lightsaber.....And so on.

That was just a brief excerpt covering what all I did. After playing through different permutations of Guardian/Warrior and Jugg/Mara and playing to around those same levels, the practice that I got made me a whole lot better playing through those initial levels as a Guard/Jugg and I find that I actually like it a whole lot and have stayed with the Guardian.

Basically, I think that while some sort of training room that helps you to know what you're getting into would be good, ultimately you'd still want to change classes if something dissatisfied you (which it will eventually). Leaving it the way it is forces you to figure out how to play any given class and possibly come to enjoy it.

SWG let you change your class....of course it was one of the dumbest ideas ever, but still you could with no lvl penalty either.

SWG pre-NGE had my favorite respec system ever. It also made sense.

Want to do something else? Slowly cut back on what you are doing to learn your new profession.

If a janitor wants to be a doctor, they'll likely cut back their hours at McDonald's to spend time goin to medical school.

At no point were you ever job locked, but switching classes made you start at the bottom of the new class and work your way up. Same character, same house and bank and gear, just a new job.

SWG NGE had the worst system ever. Pay 500 credits or use a nearly weekly free-respec an poof max level in te new job with gear to boot.

That is like if the janitor goes "my job sucks, I'm a doctor now" then before they give you the anesthesia, you see the nurse handing him the scalpel.

FFXI did it the lowest impact. You had to a) unlock jobs through difficult quests, and b) begin your new job at level 1. However, you could swap back to your old job at any major town free of charge. Limite inventory space forced you to gear for a select few jobs or buy worse, broader job gear.

I would love to see a job change feature that was one way like swgprenge but quest based like FFXI. My BH discovers he is force sensitive and by law has to train as sith or maybe is drafted into imperial service. Even goin rogue and joining the republic. So many possibilities and precedent lore wise for nearly any job/faction change.

Maybe one day. It'd be a lot of work, but it'd be hella fun too.

How do you misclick something that important? Maybe work on paying better attention and not just clicking "willy nilly". It also takes no time at all to reach level 10. Do it again.

I clicked Mercenary, because it sounded interesting, and the abilities / role was neat. When I hit level 40, I realized all I do as a Mercenary is use Tracer Missile, HS Missile, and Railshot. The class was really boring. I'm now Level 50 with this character, and it's still really boring. Why should I have to level up another bounty hunter to level 50, just to enjoy the game, when only 14 of my abilities would actually change? My story line won't change, my armour won't change (Aside from one stat, and MAYBE the colour), the majority of my abilities won't change, and one of my talent trees doesn't even change. The way I see it, ACs are specializations, and there's absolutely no reason I should have to spend 50+ hours on the same class to use it's other spec. That's just ridiculous.

Edited by Sigmundr

I clicked Mercenary, because it sounded interesting, and the abilities / role was neat. When I hit level 40, I realized all I do as a Mercenary is use Tracer Missile, HS Missile, and Railshot. The class was really boring. I'm now Level 50 with this character, and it's still really boring. Why should I have to level up another bounty hunter to level 50, just to enjoy the game, when only 14 of my abilities would actually change? My story line won't change, my armour won't change (Aside from one stat, and MAYBE the colour), the majority of my abilities won't change, and one of my talent trees doesn't even change. The way I see it, ACs are specializations, and there's absolutely no reason I should have to spend 50+ hours on the same class to use it's other spec. That's just ridiculous.

Or you could try healing or the pyrotech tree. Arsenal is a very boring tree, but you are not limited to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.