The Next PTS Patch and Future Changes

EricMusco

I feel like if you can clear sm raids to get hm gear in a week, clear a bunch of hm raids in another week to get gear for NiM raids, and clear a bunch of NiM raids in a week you should be able to get BIS in a month. Seems sensible...

Not everyone has the time or means to make that happen. Allowing that to happen would destroy competitive balance and reduce participation more than it would help the game.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to 5.0, people had to compete against others via RNG /random to win an item. No system has ever been void of an RNG factor.

You know that's not what we're talking about as RNG.

If you're going to start being purposefully obtuse again, I'm going to go back to ignoring your posts again.

You know that's not what we're talking about as RNG.

If you're going to start being purposefully obtuse again, I'm going to go back to ignoring your posts again.

Its not directly what you're talking about, but its relevant when someone inaccurately claims RNG was never part of gearing.

My point in this discussion is that people need to understand the constants of the gearing equation in order to make reasonable requests/suggestions, and to see that they are listening to feedback.

Its not directly what you're talking about, but its relevant when someone inaccurately claims RNG was never part of gearing.

My point in this discussion is that people need to understand the constants of the gearing equation in order to make reasonable requests/suggestions, and to see that they are listening to feedback.

Well, by RNG we are all talking about drops randomly generated by the game that's made available to the party (player or group) about to obtain said loot.

We're NOT talking about which player in a party gets the loot.

Only how the loot is created.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here that you don't understand that.

By dividing the focus you're essentially saying, intentionally or not, that RNG GENERATED loot is a good system of gearing. And since right now it's the ONLY system of gearing on PTS, you're saying that the PTS gearing system is good for the game.

Once again...most people posting are disagreeing with the point of view you agree with.

TLDR - Gear will now drop only for your current Discipline, random vendor will now always give upgrades (with proper targeting), and we are adding supplementary vendors that sell set bonus shells and tacticals for tech fragments.

This isn't true at all.

I've got 9 different tank mods + tank hilt + tank implants on my Marksmanship sniper, all of that came from RNG gear vendor, so I ended up burning around 4k of tech fragments for nothing.

Imagine if I literally had to grind 4k tech fragments, only to get tank gear that I can't even use on my sniper toon.

Well, by RNG we are all talking about drops randomly generated by the game that's made available to the party (player or group) about to obtain said loot.

We're NOT talking about which player in a party gets the loot.

Only how the loot is created.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here that you don't understand that.

By dividing the focus you're essentially saying, intentionally or not, that RNG GENERATED loot is a good system of gearing. And since right now it's the ONLY system of gearing on PTS, you're saying that the PTS gearing system is good for the game.

Once again...most people posting are disagreeing with the point of view you agree with.

Incorrect. The whole discussion (this AND other threads) are discussing ALL RNG elements of gear ACQUISITION, not just the ones you mention to argue with me.

I implore you to look back at stuff people have written when talking about loot acquisition within these threads.

"RNG on top of RNG."

"RNG vendors."

"RNG ilvl."

"RNG type of loot."

"RNG upgrades."

"Get rid of all RNG."

"Why leave it to NPC drops for RNG items i dont need"

"RNG class specific items"

Its not just about loot creation. Its about how you acquire loot. And a lot of these aspects have been in the game before 5.0s version of RNG. Its been there, and acting like it hasnt is faulty thinking.

Ive said before and say again - a healthy balance of RNG is fine. The game doesnt need to eliminate it entirely from the game or gear system, since it serves a bigger purpose than people are noticing.

does "a healthy balance" = 100% in your world?

No. So im not sure where you determined that.

As usual, people post in extremes and exaggerated fashion, which is likely a big reason the devs "dont listen to their playerbase."

And btw, the devs have already stated that certain FPs and bosses are set to drop specific items more frequently than others, so its not 100% RNG. Its just that we havent seen it yet because HS is the only applicable flashpoint so far. But they did state it for our knowledge.

Edited by olagatonjedi

Maybe not in your world.

Its not RNG in anyone's world. Direct drops are direct drops. You go to a boss, kill boss, you're guaranteed that piece will drop. That's not RNG. RNG is you kill boss and you have no damn clue what item is going to drop.

Not based on the widely-known idea of RNG.

If a boss drops 1 out of 10 items instead of 1 out of 100 items...that fits what they said.

It's still random, though, which of the 10 possible items it can drop.

Therefore...still RNG

Not based on the widely-known idea of RNG.

Inserting your own personal definition of what RNG means is not really helpful to the discussion at hand. At all. Here's why: You are talking about a separate layer of RNG, who wins the roll for the item. What we are talking about is the RNG layer on the item drop itself. They are not the same thing, and one is acceptable and the other is not. I think every single person in this thread would agree: the RNG of rolling on the item is expected... but not knowing what the boss is going to drop AT ALL? Nope. That's the backlash you are hearing about. Not the random /roll bit. Please help us improve the game by keeping the discussion on the topic at hand, instead of muddying the water with your own personal definitions and then acting like no one understands because we do not subscribe to the same point of opinion you do about it.

Every single time they try to reinvent the way gear works and is distributed, they seem to go back to relying on RNG too heavily. What's truly heartbreaking is that when you listen to them talk about "RNG protection" in the live streams, and "Hey, if worst comes to worst, you will have a vendor that you can buy from too!". Well, that vendor being RNG also is no help what so ever. I listen to them talk in the live streams and think they understand, they get it. They make me excited to return to the game that I've been away from for over a year now.

And then they execute all the plans they talked about, and they are NOTHING like what was spoken as "intended" during the live streams. You are not giving people any reason to come back when you take perfectly functional systems (that you worked an entire year on making functional, KEITH!), and turn them into nightmare level RNG fiascos. Why would you do that to yourselves? Is it because this is the only development for this game that you can manage? This instead of having to produce actual game content? Bleh.

Sorry, but any notion of returning to this game with 6.0 has been tabled indefinitely. I will keep reading the forums, and hope that somewhere the words that were spoken about "RNG protection" and "We hear you" are truly acted upon when you bring them to their actual execution. It's like Jekyl and Hyde... we'll tell you one thing and then do the exact opposite. Well, sorry boys... but I've heard that and been through that in this game enough over the last 7 1/2 years that I'm not up for it again.

If you won't really listen to the player base in their requests, why don't you try playing a live stream for yourselves and see just how far apart your words to your customer base are vs. the development of the actual systems going into the game. It's astonishing.

Edited by PennyAnn

Inserting your own personal definition of what RNG means is not really helpful to the discussion at hand. At all. Here's why: You are talking about a separate layer of RNG, who wins the roll for the item. What we are talking about is the RNG layer on the item drop itself. They are not the same thing, and one is acceptable and the other is not. I think every single person in this thread would agree: the RNG of rolling on the item is expected... but not knowing what the boss is going to drop AT ALL? Nope. That's the backlash you are hearing about. Not the random /roll bit. Please help us improve the game by keeping the discussion on the topic at hand, instead of muddying the water with your own personal definitions and then acting like no one understands because we do not subscribe to the same point of opinion you do about it.

Every single time they try to reinvent the way gear works and is distributed, they seem to go back to relying on RNG too heavily. What's truly heartbreaking is that when you listen to them talk about "RNG protection" in the live streams, and "Hey, if worst comes to worst, you will have a vendor that you can buy from too!". Well, that vendor being RNG also is no help what so ever. I listen to them talk in the live streams and think they understand, they get it. They make me excited to return to the game that I've been away from for over a year now.

And then they execute all the plans they talked about, and they are NOTHING like what was spoken as "intended" during the live streams. You are not giving people any reason to come back when you take perfectly functional systems (that you worked an entire year on making functional, KEITH!), and turn them into nightmare level RNG fiascos. Why would you do that to yourselves? Is it because this is the only development for this game that you can manage? This instead of having to produce actual game content? Bleh.

Sorry, but any notion of returning to this game with 6.0 has been tabled indefinitely. I will keep reading the forums, and hope that somewhere the words that were spoken about "RNG protection" and "We hear you" are truly acted upon when you bring them to their actual execution. It's like Jekyl and Hyde... we'll tell you one thing and then do the exact opposite. Well, sorry boys... but I've heard that and been through that in this game enough over the last 7 1/2 years that I'm not up for it again.

If you won't really listen to the player base in their requests, why don't you try playing a live stream for yourselves and see just how far apart your words to your customer base are vs. the development of the actual systems going into the game. It's astonishing.

Wow ! Well said !! I mean that.. Well done !

I am more of a fan of the old system of 2.0 / 3.0. It wasn't broken, so why fix it? Separate PvP and PvE gear wasn't a bad thing. You have three separate communities of players; PvE, PvP and RP. We had vendors so we could min/max our gear and people were happy. So why did people leave the game? It wasn't a gear issue. It was a content issue. Lack of PvE and PvP content. EA needs to return the teams pulled from this game to Anthem and scrap Anthem. Its a failed game and move on. Give all communities what they want. More content and less of a headache for gear. Stop with the whole RNG nonsense. No one wants it. Continue this path and you will lose more subs. Edited by RemenCreed

Very great changes, great job everyone, very glad you making much need changes, this could be a great gearing system. Also just to be clear is the only one change for this patch the

"All group loot only looks at base/Advanced Classes"

, I still get tank loot when I have a DPS spec on hammerstation, have not tried RNG vendor yet

That might be the group loot, some advance classes can be bother tank and DPS?

Personal loot however will look at your dicipline (personal loot is loot you dont have to roie for.

Thank you all so much for listening to and acting on our frustrations with the PTS gearing system. The changes listed here will go a long way in helping us to gear our characters in 6.0

Adding this toggle to the character portrait is going to be, quite possibly, the best change coming in 6.0 for the gearing system. With 5.0 I would queue up as a Tank/Healer for faster Queue pops and run a bunch of flashpoints to stock up on Crates/CXP packs and then switch to a DPS discipline to open it all to gear up that discipline (or vice versa on the rare occasion DPS was more in need, or doing Solo content). So having this option will make it easier to gear up an off-discipline with out any "Oopsies" involved. I love this addition and think it's a much better choice than the previous setup with % chance of dropping off spec pieces. So huge thumbs up from me :D .

wow ... they actually DID it?!?! RIGHT??? WOW!!!!! :D

part of me cannot even believe it but i am looking forward to this a lot !!!!

wow

The rate of aquisition of renown boxes is way too slow

Its not the main source of gear, so it is expected to be slower than current command ranks. But still feels as very little. I think one of the problems is that missions are not actually giving as much renown points as they say it provides. I'm gaining less than half, here is an example:

https://imgur.com/a/5KWTWQz

I am more of a fan of the old system of 2.0 / 3.0. It wasn't broken, so why fix it? Separate PvP and PvE gear wasn't a bad thing. You have three separate communities of players; PvE, PvP and RP. We had vendors so we could min/max our gear and people were happy. So why did people leave the game? It wasn't a gear issue. It was a content issue. Lack of PvE and PvP content. EA needs to return the teams pulled from this game to Anthem and scrap Anthem. Its a failed game and move on. Give all communities what they want. More content and less of a headache for gear. Stop with the whole RNG nonsense. No one wants it. Continue this path and you will lose more subs.

The 2.0 or 3.0 had a way to set our characters PVP with companions without going into different instance and walk into warzone near outlaw den will auto go PVP. Gear modify bonus status for companions. Game came out 2011 year. Between those year 2011 to 2014 with Enteral Empire meets the compliance with all strongholds. I'm curious if there where radical resistance boot from Star Wars Galaxies had discover this game and turn the game toward the left and rig down to low end with weak characters with weak companions while all areas inside the game set hard mode. We our probably going to see this happen again. After this fail again and next one will rise probably will be their prison after court next time for their not conform their doing not right. Radical resistance will never learn from mistakes.

The 2.0 or 3.0 had a way to set our characters PVP with companions without going into different instance and walk into warzone near outlaw den will auto go PVP. Gear modify bonus status for companions. Game came out 2011 year. Between those year 2011 to 2014 with Enteral Empire meets the compliance with all strongholds. I'm curious if there where radical resistance boot from Star Wars Galaxies had discover this game and turn the game toward the left and rig down to low end with weak characters with weak companions while all areas inside the game set hard mode. We our probably going to see this happen again. After this fail again and next one will rise probably will be their prison after court next time for their not conform their doing not right. Radical resistance will never learn from mistakes.

You're Gree, aren't you?:rak_03:

I hope you'll do something with the materials' storage. The idead is good. Very good indeed. But the realisation. :(

The long list is the worst you could possibly do !

For now I've got everything in the bank, in a Type×Grade table. A long list is a huge step down.

At least, look at how it was done in the Guild Wars 2 and make something similar. Pretty plese ? :o