Are companions changing in 6.0?

MingusPho

I heard some scuttlebutt that they are in genchat but as usual nobody could direct me to a source. Just wondering if they will get special role and crewskill bonuses back or if they will need to be geared like before. I liked the old system and especially since we have access to so many comps, this could work out well.

Errr.. not exactly.

They will be getting rebalanced and some of their exclusve animations will be returned to them.

I am unsure this was even promised for 6.0. But it is something they are wanting to do.

I don't recall where i heard that though. But, it was either on the livestream, AMA or the SWTOR central interview (or forums post i guest).

That's what i know at any rate. Maybe they know something i don't.

Edit: Rebalance doesn't mean we are going back to gearing them up. So, stop those assumptions. They never said anything of the sort. This means Treek wich is underperfoming is going to likely get buffed and Shae vizla will get nerfed. Numbers only. No return of the gear system.

Edited by Nemmar

Tbh I do not want it to go back to how it used to be. I don't have the time to worry about gearing companions separately, and I want to be able to use the ones I actually like in the role I need/want them in.

Tbh I do not want it to go back to how it used to be. I don't have the time to worry about gearing companions separately, and I want to be able to use the ones I actually like in the role I need/want them in.

IMO... It takes too much time to grind almost endlessly to get enough gear to outfit a handfull of characters let alone ALL of the companions that go with each one.

Those who are bagillionaires on the GTN would LOVE it ...

Companions are the one thing we really don't have too much genuine information on right now. Some of the more delicate matters that use to be enjoyed a lot by many players seems to have fallen by the wayside already. To use one word that seems to describe most companions (especially since Iokath and JUS )... "bricks" ... And for the most part this is correct. No interaction .. almost no nothing... just simply a brick ! Check the internet ... you can see just how brief Elara Dorne and the commando as well as others .. just a few very brief moments. This is not my personal assessment ... but rather that of others.

MY own opinion : Companions have been a big part of the game since the begining. And as an example of just how big: try a genuine discussion about the retrun of Kira and Scourge and see what happens. Soooo why cut this part out of the game ???? Expense ? Perhaps ! It's kind of hard to say really.

I have other opinions on this matter that we have posted before. IMO ... not enough enterest on the part of the right people to make a difference though. Sooo my personal suggstions and hopes along those lines are pretty much fading away.

However, If you could manage to get the right people behind you ... there might be a more positive response. But for now the silence is almost deafening. Not so much as from the community of players but others who might help with questions on the upcoming 6.0

Perhaps soon that silence will be broken with a more hopeful outlook for the future.

Edited by OlBuzzard

Same. I really would not want companions forced back into certain roles. I want to use the companions I like, not be compelled to use the one who happens to heal or whatever. There are a few class stories I'd never have finished if I'd had to use the original specific healer since I really don't like running with those companions.

The only changes I'd like to see are fixing that blasted ranged companion bug and perhaps giving some of them back fun and unique abilities (but again, making sure they can handle all three roles as they do now).

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Same. I really would not want companions forced back into certain roles. I want to use the companions I like, not be compelled to use the one who happens to heal or whatever. There are a few class stories I'd never have finished if I'd had to use the original specific healer since I really don't like running with those companions.

The only changes I'd like to see are fixing that blasted ranged companion bug and perhaps giving some of them back fun and unique abilities (but again, making sure they can handle all three roles as they do now).

I don't have too much of a problem needing to change occassionaly .. like from Lana to Shae or perhaps to Risha or Vette in order to find the right companion for the job...

What I really don't like is having one drage me through an entire duration of an expansion (like Ossus) ... without any option to change. I liked the overall story line of Ossus... but IMO there could have been just as good a story with differing cutscenes and yet introduce a new character.

EDIT:

BTW... has anyone noticed that Lana frequently has a headache ?

Edited by OlBuzzard

Well as far as story goes, I am all for more ways to interact with and spend time with our companions (like if they added companion missions again in the future) because yeah a lot of the personal interaction with them has fallen by the wayside compared to how it used to be in favor of a more "general" approach to all of them. I feel like that has a lot to do with budget, since that is a lot of actors they have to pay to do more scenes with.

They keep adding new characters to the game, and those always take precedence since they serve whatever is going on in the story at the time more than a character who's focus and relevance peaked in previous content. For example, I really wanted an Arcann romance arc, and am glad we finally got one, but it was very short, and there has been no interaction with him at all since that came out in any of the new updates since then, and I don't know that there will be much in the expansion since we're leaving all of that Zakuul stuff behind and I haven't seen him in any of the preview stuff for future content. I would almost rather them stop adding new romances and just do worthwhile ones with the characters we have now so that when they finally did do scenes with those characters, they could be longer than 15 seconds, and not just romances, but I miss having my "best friend"/sidekick companion interactions from vanilla and the earlier expansions lol.

Edited by Jesira

God I hope not. Honestly I like being able to choose what companion I use and not having to wait until a certain planet to get the healer. Not to mention we have so many companions as it is with sub reward companions to Darth Hexid and Master Ranos and so on and so forth. I like Darth Hexid and am working on upping her influence to make her my main companion on a few toons and I honestly don’t want to waste all that time getting her to 50 for nothing if she has to wear gear like my characters. No thanks...

Well as far as story goes, I am all for more ways to interact with and spend time with our companions (like if they added companion missions again in the future) because yeah a lot of the personal interaction with them has fallen by the wayside compared to how it used to be in favor of a more "general" approach to all of them. I feel like that has a lot to do with budget, since that is a lot of actors they have to pay to do more scenes with.

They keep adding new characters to the game, and those always take precedence since they serve whatever is going on in the story at the time more than a character who's focus and relevance peaked in previous content. For example, I really wanted an Arcann romance arc, and am glad we finally got one, but it was very short, and there has been no interaction with him at all since that came out in any of the new updates since then, and I don't know that there will be much in the expansion since we're leaving all of that Zakuul stuff behind and I haven't seen him in any of the preview stuff for future content. I would almost rather them stop adding new romances and just do worthwhile ones with the characters we have now so that when they finally did do scenes with those characters, they could be longer than 15 seconds, and not just romances, but I miss having my "best friend"/sidekick companion interactions from vanilla lol.

If you have noticed ALL interactions with companions (regardless of how the relationship goes) are getting fewer and fewer and SHORTER these days.

Note: IMO .. not all interactions have to be "flirts"... I know how many feel about this. I'm asking to deminish your part of the game any more than I would ask to cut back on PvP .. What I AM suggesting is that there be a wider varriety of cutscenes as well as interations that ... well .. I dunno .. might just be ... FUN ? Could we do that ?

Just currious !

God I hope not. Honestly I like being able to choose what companion I use and not having to wait until a certain planet to get the healer. Not to mention we have so many companions as it is with sub reward companions to Darth Hexid and Master Ranos and so on and so forth. I like Darth Hexid and am working on upping her influence to make her my main companion on a few toons and I honestly don’t want to waste all that time getting her to 50 for nothing if she has to wear gear like my characters. No thanks...

Yesss, I have been working pretty hard on upgrading Hexid and Arcann so I really want to keep using them and not have them limited to a role.

I don't have too much of a problem needing to change occassionaly .. like from Lana to Shae or perhaps to Risha or Vette in order to find the right companion for the job...

What I really don't like is having one drage me through an entire duration of an expansion (like Ossus) ... without any option to change. I liked the overall story line of Ossus... but IMO there could have been just as good a story with differing cutscenes and yet introduce a new character.

EDIT:

BTW... has anyone noticed that Lana frequently has a headache ?

Yeh, I have a roster I rotate through too, depending on the mission and who I want to hang out with that day (although because of the ranged companion bug, my ranged companions are mostly shelved). But we're talking about abilities here, not which companions accompany one during the story.

If they went back to the original way, each companion would go from having three possible roles to ONE. Lana might only be DPS; Arcann might only tank, etc. Which would mean one's choices would be drastically reduced, depending on what you need or want your companion to do and the content you play.

I honestly don't think I would have gotten through either the Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight story if I'd played when those companion roles were set in stone, or else I'd have ended going through the entire class story with a cartel market companion.

So I dearly hope that when they talk about "changing companions" this isn't what hey have in mind.

Yeh, I have a roster I rotate through too, depending on the mission and who I want to hang out with that day (although because of the ranged companion bug, my ranged companions are mostly shelved). But we're talking about abilities here, not which companions accompany one during the story.

If they went back to the original way, each companion would go from having three possible roles to ONE. Lana might only be DPS; Arcann might only tank, etc. Which would mean one's choices would be drastically reduced, depending on what you need or want your companion to do and the content you play.

I honestly don't think I would have gotten through either the Sith Warrior or Jedi Knight story if I'd played when those companion roles were set in stone, or else I'd have ended going through the entire class story with a cartel market companion.

So I dearly hope that when they talk about "changing companions" this isn't what hey have in mind.

Amen to that -- and why why why ?? They changed it -- leave it alone and don't go 3 steps backward -- please ...

I hate Gus - hate him -- dumb name, dumb character, and I hated using him as a healer -- never got him past 9 --

so please --- NO !!!! ( and really .. Gus TUNO ?? really ? .... <sigh> )

I have Lokin at 50, Gault at 44, T7 at 50 , and Risha at 25 ( she is so much better than Gus )

so NO -- leave them alone ... the game is getting back on its feet --- don't mess these improvements up and make us have to use certain comps --after all the work we did to get ones we LIKED to 50 -- leave it alone ( can tell I am upset, huh?

Stop the misinformation. They said nothing like that.

Rebalance means nerfing the OP ones and buffing the weak ones (treek for example) cause they got different outputs.

So, you guys stop talking about gearing them again. It's not what this is.

Stop the misinformation. They said nothing like that.

Rebalance means nerfing the OP ones and buffing the weak ones (treek for example) cause they got different outputs.

So, you guys stop talking about gearing them again. It's not what this is.

To be fair, the person you quoted wasn't saying the devs were bringing gearing back. They were saying they don't want that to happen. The OP was originally the one who brought up gearing.

Rebalance means nerfing the OP ones

Which are? The differences between companions (not counting those that aren't working properly) are miniscule at best and only something Min/Maxers even care about.

Some people use the phrase "overpowered" far too lightly.

and buffing the weak ones

Yeah, that's not going to happen. If i've learned anything about Bioware it's far more likely that they'll nerf all companions down to the level of the weakest companions (those that aren't even working as they should) instead and then after a year or so of outrage they "fix" their companion "fix". :D

Which are? The differences between companions (not counting those that aren't working properly) are miniscule at best and only something Min/Maxers even care about.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. If i've learned anything about Bioware it's far more likely that they'll nerf all companions down to the level of the weakest companions (those that aren't even working as they should) instead and then after a year or so of outrage they "fix" their companion "fix". :D

It also depends on how people categories OP, are they talking with all precence datacrons?

That is false.

DPS - 1mil damage on the fleet operations dummy:

Level 50, Shae Vizla, 6700 (Ranged, 1 Pistol) -5.6

Level 50 Master Ranos, 5400 (Melee, 2 Sabers) -5.6

Level 50 Veeroa Denz, 5300 (Melee, 2 Sabers) -5.6

Level 50 Hemdil Tre, 5250 (Ranged, 2 Pistols) - 5.6

Level 50 Ensign Temple, 5200 (Ranged, 2 Pistols) -5.6

Level 50, Darth Hexid, 5100 (1 Dual Saber, Melee) -5.6

Level 50, Dr Lokin, 5100 (Melee, Custom attack) -5.5

Level 50 Kaliyo Djannis, 5030 (Ranged, Blaster Riffle) -5.5

Level 50 K1-Z3N, 5080 (Ranged, 1 Pistol, Special Skills) -5.5

Level 50, C8-S3C, 5000 (1 Vibrostaff, Melee) -5.6

Level 50, D-R3D (Melee, 2 Vibroswords) 5000 - 5.6

Leval 50, Lana, 4668 (1 saber, melee) -5.5

Leval 50, HK-51, 4230 (Ranged, Sniper Riffle) -5.5

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=677289

That is false.

DPS - 1mil damage on the fleet operations dummy:

Level 50, Shae Vizla, 6700 (Ranged, 1 Pistol) -5.6

Level 50 Master Ranos, 5400 (Melee, 2 Sabers) -5.6

Level 50 Veeroa Denz, 5300 (Melee, 2 Sabers) -5.6

Level 50 Hemdil Tre, 5250 (Ranged, 2 Pistols) - 5.6

Level 50 Ensign Temple, 5200 (Ranged, 2 Pistols) -5.6

Level 50, Darth Hexid, 5100 (1 Dual Saber, Melee) -5.6

Level 50, Dr Lokin, 5100 (Melee, Custom attack) -5.5

Level 50 Kaliyo Djannis, 5030 (Ranged, Blaster Riffle) -5.5

Level 50 K1-Z3N, 5080 (Ranged, 1 Pistol, Special Skills) -5.5

Level 50, C8-S3C, 5000 (1 Vibrostaff, Melee) -5.6

Level 50, D-R3D (Melee, 2 Vibroswords) 5000 - 5.6

Leval 50, Lana, 4668 (1 saber, melee) -5.5

Leval 50, HK-51, 4230 (Ranged, Sniper Riffle) -5.5

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=677289

Someone did a very nice job on that.

As long as BW "smoothes" things out and don't add a few more bugs into the mix, things should be OK... Asuming that they don't nerf things in the process.

While this does answer the "mechanics" of companions. Yet there is still an uneasy, uncanty quiteness regarding the rest of what use to be a normal function of the companions.

Was the return of Kira and Scourage at the end of KotET to help defeat the emperor really a missed opportunity?

Was it?

Will their return be reduced to 60 second event signifying virtually nothing: much like the reuniting of the trooper with Elara Dorne. (it's easily seen on UTUBE). IMO Elara is a cardboard figure any ways .. and not that popular sooo not that big of a deal. BUT... to many it may be seen differently.

On the other hand we could be pleasantly surprised as we were with "Heats and Minds" !

Still more silence.

It's eerie.

Edited by OlBuzzard

I appreciate the original souce of the matter. Excellent. TYVM !

However, there is still a great void of silence in some other areas of the companions. I personally don't need a detailed agenda ... but without question there are a number of items that could and should be shared that would be helpful.

Anyone can read the number of threads that are centered around many of the companions Theron / Lana / Vette / Arcan / Kira / Scourge and many more from a large number of players. That tells me that there is a large interest in this area. That also tells me that a little more information from the right people at BW would also be very much appreciated !

BTW... this is not a rant. I'm just suggesting the clear benifits of additional information.

Informed people tend to be a much happier clientele.

Edited by OlBuzzard

That's not what they're doing. Here's the thread if you want to read it for yourself:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9729378#edit9729378

*sigh* Grim beat me to it already.

Edited by kodrac