Satele Shan - 64 people Pub side fleet (1 instance) - 9:30pm EST

FourPawnBenoni

Yesterday at 6:30 I only saw 3 people outside on the street. Just stating the facts here, my town of 6000 people must be deserted because I only saw THREE people outside at the time. My town is dead, you guys, everyone must have just packed up and moved away because nothing ever happens here. My town needs a merger, people!

Was it a sunday ? Or a day with a very ggood movie on TV ? ;)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it a sunday ? Or a day with a very ggood movie on TV ? ;)

No it was a Friday, of all days! Street prime time, you know? And only 3 people were there, I only saw THREE people. My town is dead, no one else left here or otherwise I wouldn't have seen only THREE people on the street during street prime time! #townmergernow

(I hope I have conveyed how ridiculous threads like this one sound, especially if they keep returning.)

Edited by Ylliarus

Yesterday at 6:30 I only saw 3 people outside on the street. Just stating the facts here, my town of 6000 people must be deserted because I only saw THREE people outside at the time. My town is dead, you guys, everyone must have just packed up and moved away because nothing ever happens here. My town needs a merger, people!

I know the phenomenon too. Creepy. ;):D

I didn't search planets, I searched levels. It's pretty fast.

[/color].

Still too slow. BW certainly has a program that shows how many are online. This is checked more often. If the number falls below, then action is taken. If only 3000 people were online every day. Would not you give out a new extension.

So: nonsense.

[A Bioware intern tasked with reading the forums daily wanders into his cubicle in the morning. He browses through his favorite companion love and companion pvp tirades, continues ignoring about 95% of the rest of the forums, and accidentally clicks on this thread]

"Hmm, probably just another troll not getting enough flame bait on fleet in-game. People aren't falling for the "6 people on fleet, game is dead" idiocy as much as they used to."

[reads a little more]

"Oh, they have a new way to tell how many people are on at any given time."

[being a not-so-bright intern, he forgets, or worse, is ignorant of, the metrics Bioware has at its disposal to know exactly, with ZERO actual doubt, how many people are playing its game at any given time, from past to present]

"Hmmm...oh...oh my god....OH MY...Hey [intern B]!! Come look at this!!! Holy god...look at this thread! I know our boss told us to ignore these threads, but look at what these guys can do now...We....oh man, we've gotta DO something!"

[intern A breaks into a cold sweat. His unpaid tenure in Austin might be up soon if these doom prophets don't get another server merge. He prints this thread and goes back to each thread that has popped up every other week since a disgruntled APAC player (those expendable players that the bean counters spit on) gave "game is dead" prophets a tool that they can use to chase away most prospective players with inaccurate but convincing-to-the-"right"-doom-apologists "data." Our well-meaning but not very bright Intern bursts into his boss's office. The boss is on a conference call with his EA overlords. The Intern excitedly plops a stack of doom threads related to how many people are on in a five minute period of time (he forgets there are 1,440 minutes in the day, 10,080 in a week, and about 302,400 in a month, but those five minute periods are unimpeachable evidence of the fact that all subscribers and players do not, in fact, play at the exact same time)]

"Boss!! Look at this data! Holy hell, this is it!! The doom that was foretold on December 21, 2011 has come to pass!! We need to merge everything down to one last server to "save the game!" These guys here...these guys get it!! Our numbers are WRONG! Our metrics are WRONG! These guys....these guys and their merge demands...I mean...if we don't do anything...we're done. It's over. Your nonsense about knowing how many people play and your plans that focus on pleasing certain players over the minority who play 24/7...it's gotta stop. Just...Merge It!! Get it done!! We're all doomed if you don't!"

[The Boss just sits there, hands clasped in front of him, a smirk on his face. Before he can defuse this not-so-bright intern with actual, real numbers, and the actual, real map for the future, one of the EA overlords cuts in]

"Why isn't this idiot working on Anthem right now?"

[Dejected, the Intern walks back to his cubicle, head low. He falls heavily into his uncomfortable chair and weighs his chin on his hand. He looks back to the threads and some of the forum-dwellers are having a go at each other over the companion he knows is going to be out of the upcoming story anyway. Someday, he thinks, he'll finally champion the cause of the "fleet is low, game is dead" trolls and the doomsayers who have been bravely spreading the word for 7 years, and push the game towards its inevitable end with a final merge that won't even make any of them happy.]

"Someday, my prophetic friends, I'll end the game just for you"

[A Bioware intern tasked with reading the forums daily wanders into his cubicle in the morning. He browses through his favorite companion love and companion pvp tirades, continues ignoring about 95% of the rest of the forums, and accidentally clicks on this thread]

"Hmm, probably just another troll not getting enough flame bait on fleet in-game. People aren't falling for the "6 people on fleet, game is dead" idiocy as much as they used to."

[reads a little more]

"Oh, they have a new way to tell how many people are on at any given time."

[being a not-so-bright intern, he forgets, or worse, is ignorant of, the metrics Bioware has at its disposal to know exactly, with ZERO actual doubt, how many people are playing its game at any given time, from past to present]

"Hmmm...oh...oh my god....OH MY...Hey [intern B]!! Come look at this!!! Holy god...look at this thread! I know our boss told us to ignore these threads, but look at what these guys can do now...We....oh man, we've gotta DO something!"

[intern A breaks into a cold sweat. His unpaid tenure in Austin might be up soon if these doom prophets don't get another server merge. He prints this thread and goes back to each thread that has popped up every other week since a disgruntled APAC player (those expendable players that the bean counters spit on) gave "game is dead" prophets a tool that they can use to chase away most prospective players with inaccurate but convincing-to-the-"right"-doom-apologists "data." Our well-meaning but not very bright Intern bursts into his boss's office. The boss is on a conference call with his EA overlords. The Intern excitedly plops a stack of doom threads related to how many people are on in a five minute period of time (he forgets there are 1,440 minutes in the day, 10,080 in a week, and about 302,400 in a month, but those five minute periods are unimpeachable evidence of the fact that all subscribers and players do not, in fact, play at the exact same time)]

"Boss!! Look at this data! Holy hell, this is it!! The doom that was foretold on December 21, 2011 has come to pass!! We need to merge everything down to one last server to "save the game!" These guys here...these guys get it!! Our numbers are WRONG! Our metrics are WRONG! These guys....these guys and their merge demands...I mean...if we don't do anything...we're done. It's over. Your nonsense about knowing how many people play and your plans that focus on pleasing certain players over the minority who play 24/7...it's gotta stop. Just...Merge It!! Get it done!! We're all doomed if you don't!"

[The Boss just sits there, hands clasped in front of him, a smirk on his face. Before he can defuse this not-so-bright intern with actual, real numbers, and the actual, real map for the future, one of the EA overlords cuts in]

"Why isn't this idiot working on Anthem right now?"

[Dejected, the Intern walks back to his cubicle, head low. He falls heavily into his uncomfortable chair and weighs his chin on his hand. He looks back to the threads and some of the forum-dwellers are having a go at each other over the companion he knows is going to be out of the upcoming story anyway. Someday, he thinks, he'll finally champion the cause of the "fleet is low, game is dead" trolls and the doomsayers who have been bravely spreading the word for 7 years, and push the game towards its inevitable end with a final merge that won't even make any of them happy.]

"Someday, my prophetic friends, I'll end the game just for you"

10 out of 10. Jane Austen who? Shakespeare, I don't know him. You, my friend, YOU outshine them all.

The studio does not base it's decisions on any single flash capture of number of players on line at any given point in time. This is something that the people who make threads like this do not understand.

While we as players can at best do what Khevar has outlined (which will never be accurate because players are not just going to freeze in place while Khevar takes a head count. :p ) the studio actually has the instrumentation to know exactly how many players are online at any given point in time, and collects this data over time and using analytics they can profile the exact population dynamics of any server over time.. including by level, what content is being played, how long a player is on line, how many hours a player plays per week...etc. etc.

With modern server technology and Business Intelligence analytics.... it is possible to very closely monitor what is going on in a game server at any given point in time, as well as trends and patterns.... because the studio can capture many different data points and then plot them on a dashboard readout that the studio can review, parse, expand, etc... to determine what is actually going on inside a server. Businesses have had the ability to do this for many years now.. and it gets better each year. When I was responsible for a customer support portal service for a large tech company years ago.. we could literally track everything our customers were touching and what they were interested in and what they were not interested in. It is a valuable tool for refining customer experience (broadly speaking, not for any specific customers particular tastes).

Back when torstatus was actively maintained... we as players could get a relative indication over the hours of a day, week, month, as to how busy a server was based on server load flags. It never gave us a precise indication of actual population numbers, only the relative peaks and valleys of activity based on the load flags. But now days, we do not even have that available to us.

you have no idea what the devs base their decisions on. they could be sacrificing goats to readtheir entrails and you would have no idea.

why didnt you /who to find them? or is this just another attempt to obscure the truth? 0/10 on the white knight scale

why didnt you /who to find them? or is this just another attempt to obscure the truth? 0/10 on the white knight scale

How do I activate the /who option in real life? What keys do I use and where will I see the interface? Will it hover above my head or will it appear inside my mind?

The funny thing is, to cease with the silliness, that I never noticed any problems with the amount of people online over at Darth Malgus. Whenever I am on the fleet during prime time Instance 1 has at least 150 members or so and instance 2 50 or 60ish. Warzones pop all the time, group finder as well, chats are pleasantly busy. There is a difference between Impside and Repside fleet sure, but I never found myself waiting long for group finder pops. To me the fleets seem busy as ever, I see little difference between several years back and nowadays.

Looking at how many people are online on the fleet is really the least reliable way there is to determine what the size of the player population is. I suggest you doomsayers just stop with the continuous threads heralding the death of SWTOR because you have been doing it since launch and here we are, the game still alive and kicking almost 7 years later. We are getting a new story update very soon, a 6.0 expansion is in the works so really, claims that the game is dead or dying are rather baseless in my opinion.

The silly example of me looking out on the street, seeing only 3 people out there and proceeding to claim the entire town is dead should show how ridiculous it is to make the same claim based on how many people are online on the fleets. Because if you look one street further you have the supermarket which is busy and lively. Just because YOU see something doesn't mean it's true, you could be looking at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edited by Ylliarus

To me the fleets seem busy as ever, I see little difference between several years back and nowadays.

Exactly. You say it: "little difference between several years back and nowadays". Same numbers. Just that DM is 3 previous servers combined. So you had those similar numbers on The Progenitor, on Tomb of Freedon Nadd and on The Red Eclipse. Each (with some variety between these 3).

Yes, DM feels just like The Progenitor one and a half year ago. But shouldn't it feel 3 times as busy? Or at least twice as busy? TP+TRE+ToFN=DM.

If the situation would be the same or similar as "several years back", we should have 5 instances on the fleet. But we have 2. Just like before on each individual server. 3 instances lost. DM=TP or DM=TRE, as you will. The rest is gone.

Thanks for backing up our point, even though you intended to stand against it.

Exactly. You say it: "little difference between several years back and nowadays". Same numbers. Just that DM is 3 previous servers combined. So you had those similar numbers on The Progenitor, on Tomb of Freedon Nadd and on The Red Eclipse. Each (with some variety between these 3).

Yes, DM feels just like The Progenitor one and a half year ago. But shouldn't it feel 3 times as busy? Or at least twice as busy? TP+TRE+ToFN=DM.

If the situation would be the same or similar as "several years back", we should have 5 instances on the fleet. But we have 2. Just like before on each individual server. 3 instances lost. DM=TP or DM=TRE, as you will. The rest is gone.

Thanks for backing up our point, even though you intended to stand against it.

Just enlighten me: does it please you then to talk about SWTOR doing bad or dying? Do you get a kick out of being so negative about the game and spreading your flawed interpretation of population numbers? Because otherwise I don't see why you so desperately need to be right in regards to this. What do you get out of this negativity? What does it bring you? Not being spiteful here, just trying to understand why you feel the need to spread doom and gloom throughout the forums.

Your argument BTW is very easily countered: The Progenitor was an RP server (and I originated from that server so I do know how the situation looked there) so people stuck to their Strongholds and other places than the fleet, you rarely saw a lot of people there. Tomb of Freedon Nadd was very very silent anyway, so they wouldn't add a lot of new numbers to the fleet anyway. So if you combine TRE, Progenitor and ToFN then you do indeed get what we have today. I recall TRE used to number around 120 during prime time in the first instance and nowadays it's usually around 150 in the first one. So everything checks out and it's you who went several bridges too far with your interpretation. Prog and ToFN weren't servers with a huge population to begin with at the time of the merge. But I guess you missed that fact in your eagerness to twist my words to your benefit ;)

Sidenote: the "I see little difference" bit was clearly meant to refer to the fact the fleet is busy as ever, but I guess if you want to twist my words so that they suit your narrative instead of how they were actually meant, then it matters very little. But that's poor argumentation, twisting the meaning of words so that they suit your narrative instead or countering them with logical counter arguments.

Edited by Ylliarus

you need censorship to try and win a discussion? very sad

🤣 Is clear. I do not have to open tens of thousands of threads to make my point.

@JattaGin Do you know the difference to a few years ago and today? I am sure they will come on their own. Small tip: Most people have something better to do than stand on the fleet all day. There are fewer people playing. BUT If it were not enough, the game would have been pulped long ago.

🤣 Is clear. I do not have to open tens of thousands of threads to make my point.

@JattaGin Do you know the difference to a few years ago and today? I am sure they will come on their own. Small tip: Most people have something better to do than stand on the fleet all day. There are fewer people playing. BUT If it were not enough, the game would have been pulped long ago.

Precisely this, thank you!

The threads that keep popping up about SWTOR's supposed doom are simply incredibly annoying and have no merit at all. They don't contribute to anything, create only unnecessary bickering and really are nothing but disruptive. But I believe that is why they come to exist in the first place, just to cause some ruckus and nothing more. Even if those doomsayers were right, and they're without a doubt wrong luckily, what good will shouting about it on the forums do? Nothing. Threads like this one are absolutely and utterly useless.

Edited by Ylliarus

Sigh...

Are queues popping? Yes? Good. Go play the game.

Is there healthy competition on the GTN? Yes? Good. Get yer **** and and stop complaining.

I could go on but I'm already bored of this. I fail to see the point to these forum "analytics" as they don't actually accomplish anything (even if they were accurate). If you have an actual in game problem then do report that. Wild forum speculation is going to get you no where. The devs will look at this, roll their eyes and shake their heads at the naivete and otherwise proceed to ignore it.

Just enlighten me: does it please you then to talk about SWTOR doing bad or dying? Do you get a kick out of being so negative about the game and spreading your flawed interpretation of population numbers? Because otherwise I don't see why you so desperately need to be right in regards to this. What do you get out of this negativity? What does it bring you? Not being spiteful here, just trying to understand why you feel the need to spread doom and gloom throughout the forums.

People who need a larger population on fleet:

Gold-sellers

Political/Religious/Race-Baiting trolls

"6 people on fleet, game is dead" trolls (perhaps making up the highest number of fleet-instance-low, doomed-game thread posters, considering the pattern)

Childish trolls of other types and the childish people who feed them their desperately-needed and starved-for attention

Guild-spammers and people bad-mouthing those guilds because they were thrown out since the GM "didn't have a sense of humor" about their trolling habits

Traders looking to unload inflated goods without paying the GTN tax

PvPers (but only so they can demand/beg people join them, and then they will promptly chase the idiots who join them away from the game with their toxicity for not playing like a top-1 player in the world and not carrying them, which most of the toxic players badly needed)

Ops LFG (but only if you have the right achievement...earned during the "right" patch...and only so you can carry them because if you check the asker's achievements they usually don't have it themselves)…(Oh! And you need the right gear...and right level...and you must know where the shortcuts are, no matter how new you are or how narrow those gaps are...and you must know any puzzle backwards and forwards (see note about asker's achievements)...and you must submit to judgment in SP so they know who to complain isn't carrying them enough...and you cannot, no matter what they say, not know the fights. You will not be getting experience while you're in their group...and you can't have the good stuff from the bosses, that's spoken for...……….oh, all right, you can get it, but it's going to cost you a few hundred million credits, ha ha (but seriously) ha))*

*extremely exaggerated, but only recently. This used to be the norm but now I think they're getting just as desperate as the PvP queue beggers and will take anyone. They're still gonna be toxic to new players and even less-than-NiM raiders, but they'll at least let you in at first now.

Ops LFG (but only if you have the right achievement...earned during the "right" patch...and only so you can carry them because if you check the asker's achievements they usually don't have it themselves)…(Oh! And you need the right gear...and right level...and you must know where the shortcuts are, no matter how new you are or how narrow those gaps are...and you must know any puzzle backwards and forwards (see note about asker's achievements)...and you must submit to judgment in SP so they know who to complain isn't carrying them enough...and you cannot, no matter what they say, not know the fights. You will not be getting experience while you're in their group...and you can't have the good stuff from the bosses, that's spoken for...……….oh, all right, you can get it, but it's going to cost you a few hundred million credits, ha ha (but seriously) ha))*

*extremely exaggerated, but only recently. This used to be the norm but now I think they're getting just as desperate as the PvP queue beggers and will take anyone. They're still gonna be toxic to new players and even less-than-NiM raiders, but they'll at least let you in at first now.

Thank you for making my day, that was so funny :p

Gold-sellers

"6 people on fleet, game is dead" trolls (perhaps making up the highest number of fleet-instance-low, doomed-game thread posters, considering the pattern)

Childish trolls of other types and the childish people who feed them their desperately-needed and starved-for attention

Guild-spammers and people bad-mouthing those guilds because they were thrown out since the GM "didn't have a sense of humor" about their trolling habits

PvPers (but only so they can demand/beg people join them, and then they will promptly chase the idiots who join them away from the game with their toxicity for not playing like a top-1 player in the world and not carrying them, which most of the toxic players badly needed)

I salute you! You made my day ;) but on a serious note, you're absolutely right, completely 100% correct and spot on!

Gold-sellers

Yeah, it's not like anyone else could possibly want or need players in an MMO right?

Your list is rather absurd. This is an MMO...players are healthy and necessary for the game. Fleet is the main staging area for most of the game too. Fleet obviously doesn't show every player online, but it is representative of the health of the servers...it always has been, always will be.

Gold-sellers

Give this man the keys to your speeders, post of the year, you couldn't be more spot on regarding 90% of the player base left in the game.

Be safe

Yeah, it's not like anyone else could possibly want or need players in an MMO right?

Your list is rather absurd. This is an MMO...players are healthy and necessary for the game. Fleet is the main staging area for most of the game too. Fleet obviously doesn't show every player online, but it is representative of the health of the servers...it always has been, always will be.

It was rather absurd :rak_03:

We all want more players, even if solo players don't care about grouping. We don't want the game to be shut down, and solo players understand if there aren't enough players, it very well could be. Ideas and thoughts on how to improve the population would be more productive than yet another thread "proving" the game's demise with a snapshot of the game's population in a 5 minute period.

Bioware may or may not listen to our ideas, but it's more positive and constructive than trying to "prove" numbers that aren't accurate, and Bioware has the actual, real numbers anyway and will make their plans based on real information and data, not these "fleet is low, game is dead" threads that come off more and more like cries for negative attention (like gen-chat "6 people on fleet, game is dead" trolls).

It was rather absurd :rak_03:

We all want more players, even if solo players don't care about grouping. We don't want the game to be shut down, and solo players understand if there aren't enough players, it very well could be. Ideas and thoughts on how to improve the population would be more productive than yet another thread "proving" the game's demise with a snapshot of the game's population in a 5 minute period.

Bioware may or may not listen to our ideas, but it's more positive and constructive than trying to "prove" numbers that aren't accurate, and Bioware has the actual, real numbers anyway and will make their plans based on real information and data, not these "fleet is low, game is dead" threads that come off more and more like cries for negative attention (like gen-chat "6 people on fleet, game is dead" trolls).

Now this, I agree with :)

@aerockyul :D

Unfortunately, they are not always in the fleet. On Tulak Hord there is an intrusive, annoying guild that invites people to whisper and unasked. Actually, you have to praise them, that they know how to invite people .....but my finger is already floating dangerously over the reporting button.

At the weekend I put in queues. On Tulak Hord. Result, longest waiting times:

(Everything as DD)

PVP

WZ: 1 minutes

Ranked: 20 minutes (You do not have to wonder that it takes so long to see how beastly some people are. :eek: One death and one is lynched.)

PVE

VM FP: 3 minutes

MM: 15 minutes

Rioting

SM: 5 minutes

VM: 10 minutes

MM: 20 minutes (Looking at the fleet is boring .... Please make this in the group finder.)

OPs

If you know when to look normal, things are going fast.

SM: 10 minutes (8)/ 45 minutes (16)

VM: 30 minuten (8)/ ------- (16) was not searched

MM: --------------------- Only professionals were searched

Conclusion: The waiting times are good and as long as you do not want to run OP or world bosses etc. you can do something else. I make h2 in between. :) At least on the German server, everything is clear and not totally dead. :p