The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

252/258 Gearing System not viable for Casual/PvP players

Mantlers

Does it mean I'm old if I prefer Sonny Curtis?

I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful friendhsip. I don't think I'm giving too much away... i didn'tn think anyone would recognize lol. I guess we're the same age. :)

Hugs,

Dasty

P.S. Tux, I know you're a cheesehead. In 1983 I had the high score on Ms. PacMan at the Pizza Hut:rak_02: in Brookfield until some jerk pulled the plug. :rak_05:

Edited by Jdast

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two inter-related reasons:

1) 6.0 is actually a ways off, so they want to keep the hamsters busy.

2) Resource wise, the cost to add a new tier of gear, add some DPS and HP to MM GotM, plus lower a few mechanic timers, is pretty easy to do.

Voila! And, at a minimum, it has kept the forums busy! :tran_eek:

Dasty

1. Is just plain stupid. Given the number of people that have stuck through content deoughts depsite ************ about it, i seriously doubt they need the hamster wheel.

2. If tuning is so easy just tune MM gods to be the same level as every other MM. If it already is, the new gear tier is pointless in addition to stupid.

In 1983 I had the high score on Ms. PacMan at the Pizza Hut:rak_02: in Brookfield until some jerk pulled the plug. :rak_05:

I immediately got a mental picture of Reginald Skulinski from Monster House.

if a movie gets made about your life, can we get Jon Heder to play the part?

Edited by Khevar

Yep, more posters will start dropping off soon. Plus more and more are using reddit because people love to bait/report here.

Interesting. I found the mods there to be more strict than here, which is why I have only posted there once about a bug issue.

Regardless,your point is correct: I read Reddit regularly and it is sad to see the same pure and actual dedicated PvPer announce on three or so screennames that they are quitting for a whole month until 5.10 is released in December.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

P.S. Tux, I know you're a cheesehead. In 1983 I had the high score on Ms. PacMan at the Pizza Hut:rak_02: in Brookfield until some jerk pulled the plug. :rak_05:

Brookfield! That's in the backyard of my old stomping grounds, Menomonee Falls, where I was an '80s kid. You can take the cheese out of the state, but not out of the girl...or something like that.

Edited by sauceemynx

Yep, more posters will start dropping off soon. Plus more and more are using reddit because people love to bait/report here.

I never used Reddit. I don't have the energy or interest of trying to keep up with multiple platforms just to express my opinion about this game.

I will always use whatever forums the game offers to communicate which is why I only use this platform to post on.

I realize that's the direction we as people have gone, the manner in which we communicate using multiple platforms of social media but it's just not for me.

I mean my vote is still at: why do we need a futless gear grind?

Its stupid, pointless, and a waste of effort they could be spending on 6.0, if it really exists.

Sincere question... do you intend to stay on this narrative in every discussion about the coming gear... forever?

I ask because it does not add to the discussion, and is actually off topic to almost every element of the discussion so far.

We get it KendraP.. you don't think they should be adding the gear at this late stage of 5.x, particularly since it's total boost in power is fairly small.... as has been the case since they started boosting augments through 5.x. I happen to agree with you.... and for you and I and any other like minded player... we can simply ignore the gear since it's actual benefit to most players is either very limited, or nonexistent, and hence not worth the effort to chase after it. I really don't see the need for these constant drive-by protests. :)

1. Is just plain stupid. Given the number of people that have stuck through content deoughts depsite ************ about it, i seriously doubt they need the hamster wheel.

2. If tuning is so easy just tune MM gods to be the same level as every other MM. If it already is, the new gear tier is pointless in addition to stupid.

It certainly does not appear to be helping you get over your negative feelings about the gear, based on how you are getting more and more negative with each post.

I don't see the need for the gear either.. but I also don't see the need to take the path you have chosen in this case either. It certainly is unlikely to persuade the studio in any way.

Edited by Andryah

The takeaways each person should have - 1) changes and updates DON'T need to make sense to YOU, and 2) changes and updates DON'T need to benefit YOU.

Sometimes changes and updates amd bug fixes are for people other than the masses, the vocal, or the aware.

Edited by olagatonjedi

Interesting. I found the mods there to be more strict than here, which is why I have only posted there once about a bug issue.

Regardless,your point is correct: I read Reddit regularly and it is sad to see the same pure and actual dedicated PvPer announce on three or so screennames that they are quitting for a whole month until 5.10 is released in December.

Dasty

I think people are a bit more loose with what they say and how they say it. I also don’t see as many personal attacks.

I’ve not had any of my posts on reddit disappear or anything. I’ve only had one moved to the help section because it was a help one.

I just don’t know what to say anymore. BioWare just don’t get it and it would seem they aren’t even listening to feed back.

I don't know for sure since I can't actually craft one. In the schematic it doesn't show the set bonus: https://i.imgur.com/kUjc7bI.png

I'm not sure how it would work logistically for applying set bonus even, since it wouldn't know which bonus to put on it. So I'd guess it probably doesn't get it.

Also just something else I discovered since the latest patch: the UC trade-in for MWS seems to only be doable once a day now.

What does that actually mean?

500 UCs a day will get you 1 Crystal a day or each day of the week the the cost doubles even if you don’t buy one?

The cost resets weekly. So first day of a week that you purchase one will be 500 then you can't buy anymore that day. Next day you can buy one for 1000, then have to wait until the next day to buy another. At the weekly reset I assume the price will go back down to 500. Not sure yet if the price is still staying at 1000 or continuing to go up every time you purchase.

Prior to the current PTS patch you could buy as many as you wanted in a single day (but the same pricing). That was probably never the intention though, I'm guessing it was always meant to have a daily lock.

Actually a bit of a correction to this: On a freshly copied character I was able to buy one crystal for 500 and one for 1000 on the same day, then was locked out. On a character I had bought crystals on previously in the week I was only able to buy one at 1000 today. So I'm not sure exactly what triggers the lockout, maybe one at a particular price then locked?
Edited by Totemdancer

I just don’t know what to say anymore. BioWare just don’t get it and it would seem they aren’t even listening to feed back.

I guess to stretch out the "progression" they have decided instead of creating actual content to create time blocks to stall your ability to level up. I mean, this is really a lazy way to make the content last longer.

I say "content" as loosely as possible. It's not really content it's just the gearing process is being made to take longer while requiring the players to grind old activities that many have already done countless times over.

When we had PVP sets that literally took 5-6 months to get a full set of ages back, people really resented that gearing system. I don't really see how this new ideology concerning gearing will be met any differently.

Take the PVP issues out of it, take the unfriendly alt aspect of it out and you still have a steep gear grind that requires repeated activities that are fairly exclusive to those who enjoy a really small facet of the game.

I am no longer aggravated or concerned now, I guess my grief process has progressed through the many different stages and finally I have arrived at the "acceptance" stage.

I just want to say, If I didn't care I wouldn't have written enough text on the topic to fill a novel. If I didn't care I wouldn't try to point out what I view as flaws on the direction they seem to be planning to take the game. I care about the success of the game, and that is why I criticize this gear system change. It's not because I like to criticize them.

I am not a constant malcontent just because I criticize their gear progression ideologies, and I feel my post history shows I acknowledge when they do things right. I don't constantly criticize them for many of the flaws we all know exist on the game, either. I just feel very strongly about this gearing system and I believe it will have a very negative impact on the game once implemented.

Finally, I accept the fact they want to go this route with the game. It doesn't mean I approve or will participate though. It's their game, they can do what they want with it. Hopefully it works out for the better and not worse.

Is it that the studio does not "get it" or that they simply have a different viewpoint on the game then you and some other players do? This is a sincere question, and I encourage you to give it some sincere consideration. In my 20 or so years of playing MMOs.. I have found that when a studio and a player demographic are in disagreement.. the studio will listen.. but will not abort their plans for the MMO just because players say "they don't get it". They may make some adjustments based on feedback.. but to expect them to stop what they are doing and "do it your way" is improbable, and may in fact be detrimental to the long term direction of their game, in their view. :)

They certainly are not going to come into a thread like this and try to debate your position with you to persuade you off of your firmly entrenched viewpoints. Some players, like myself will (discussion and different viewpoints is actually what powers most of what is talked about in a player gaming forum). The studio will just write a comment like yours here off as "sour grapes" and unpersuadable and move on. Every MMO studio on the planet knows that they cannot please all players all the time.. and rarely can they even please all players some of the time either. In other words.. they expect some fraction of their population to always be pissed off about something they are doing.

Edited by Andryah

They certainly are not going to come into a thread like this and try to debate your position with you to persuade you off of your firmly entrenched viewpoints.

I agree. However, instead of "debating" they should enter this thread and inform the general public here they are listening and taking in what is being discussed. And they should say, "Whether or not they act on these, they will see if some modifications are possible to help lessen or alleviate players' concerns on this matter."

They did this with the new Conquest, Galactic Command, and most certainly did when they mega nerfed companions at the release of KOTFE. This is what is needed by the company, come in and acknowledge these concerns and issues players have, telling us that they will look hard at what they can do for some kind of resolution. Not doing so is creating a great deal of animosity and costing them subs or will.

his is what is needed by the company, come in and acknowledge these concerns and issues players have, telling us that they will look hard at what they can do for some kind of resolution. Not doing so is creating a great deal of animosity and costing them subs or will.

If only we had a Community Manager that acted as a liaison between the players and the devs.

Edited by kodrac

To addon from my last post for those of you not on the pts checking gear or not following the pts forum.

So maybe legacy price locked and buy locked?

Do you have other Alts you could copy over and test it. I’ve not downloaded the latest update.

Each character has their own pricing, legacy doesn't seem to matter. I did try another new character and I could buy one for 500, one for 1000, and then I was locked out.

The character I could only buy one at 1000 with had bought some already earlier in the week before the new patch so I guess it still remembered he had bought the 500 one already.

Also this morning I checked the two characters I got locked out on yesterday and I still can't buy more... so the lockout might be longer than a day, unless it resets at a different time from normal dailies or is bugged. I'll check again tomorrow I guess.

Maybe it’s a once a week lock out and you can only buy 2.

Could be, yeah. The one character I had that could only buy one for 1000 made me think it was daily but that might have just been a fluke of the patch that changed it happening after I had already bought some.

That seems a bit different from what they said in the livestream about the price continuing to increase if it's just 2 for 1500 every week.

It’ll be interesting to see if you can buy another one today. If not, then I guess it’s 2 per week.

Is it that the studio does not "get it" or that they simply have a different viewpoint on the game then you and some other players do? This is a sincere question, and I encourage you to give it some sincere consideration. In my 20 or so years of playing MMOs.. I have found that when a studio and a player demographic are in disagreement.. the studio will listen.. but will not abort their plans for the MMO just because players say "they don't get it". They may make some adjustments based on feedback.. but to expect them to stop what they are doing and "do it your way" is improbable, and may in fact be detrimental to the long term direction of their game, in their view. :)

They certainly are not going to come into a thread like this and try to debate your position with you to persuade you off of your firmly entrenched viewpoints. Some players, like myself will (discussion and different viewpoints is actually what powers most of what is talked about in a player gaming forum). The studio will just write a comment like yours here off as "sour grapes" and unpersuadable and move on. Every MMO studio on the planet knows that they cannot please all players all the time.. and rarely can they even please all players some of the time either. In other words.. they expect some fraction of their population to always be pissed off about something they are doing.

Name 3 times changes from the PTS have been made before their launch due to player feedback. I can think of one PvP change around 1.4 and that’s about it.

They make a descion, launch it then wait and see how it effects their player metrics. Feedback on the forums has little impact on the direction of the game. Totem has been very vocal about a change that will directly impact the amount of players in his community. Sometimes negative feedback is necessary. To say you give a lot of constructive criticism is not true. Most of the posts I see is you criticizing others for their opinions, and labeling them constant complainers. Look around, this is not a healthy game. Most of it is from bad decisions by the studio.

That's actually where may name comes from - the old gaming days of 3 letter restrictions on the leaderboards (TUX) ;)

I can't deny it was me...but...I don't believe it was...I'd have been very young at the time and the odds of me having a high score are about zero - solid tactic though...I still use it to this day in PvP...pull the plug and you never "lose" :p

Name 3 times changes from the PTS have been made before their launch due to player feedback. I can think of one PvP change around 1.4 and that’s about it.

They make a descion, launch it then wait and see how it effects their player metrics. Feedback on the forums has little impact on the direction of the game. Totem has been very vocal about a change that will directly impact the amount of players in his community. Sometimes negative feedback is necessary. To say you give a lot of constructive criticism is not true. Most of the posts I see is you criticizing others for their opinions, and labeling them constant complainers. Look around, this is not a healthy game. Most of it is from bad decisions by the studio.

I can think of another change. When they released the Rishi stronghold they made some changes due to players feedback (the junk scattered around was pickup-they added the apartment to the stronghold)

I can think of another change. When they released the Rishi stronghold they made some changes due to players feedback (the junk scattered around was pickup-they added the apartment to the stronghold)

I was thinking more gameplay changes, not cosmetic.

Name one time when the feedback was constructive, not brought from biased intentions, and carried a grander understanding of how it would affect not just the focus population involved, but the entire game.

Im certain i will be waiting a while.

This period of time was when they were at their best.

They actually were responding to feedback, and the forums were quite lively. You'd think they would understand and continue this pattern of communication but the fact is that was an anomaly.

When they were making the Rishi SH, they were extremely communicative and willing to make changes that made the players happy. It's almost like someone went on vacation during this period of time, and someone else took over. Someone who actually cared about what the players had to say, even when they were being critical of the update that was being added. During this period of time, they listened and acted on feedback from the forums and it was a positive experience for all involved.

Name one time when the feedback was constructive, not brought from biased intentions, and carried a grander understanding of how it would affect not just the focus population involved, but the entire game.

When bolster was introduced, the community listed several different bugs. None were addressed before it hit live servers. It took several months before playing with no mods and just augments were BiS. How is naked PvP best for the entire game?

Nerf of companions by 80% after the launch of KOTFE. Reversed in a week to a 25% nerf as was recommended by players. Next?

Edited by Ghost_Spectre