Huttball ( Vandin ) PVP map - feedback...?

Storm-Cutter

Narh... I actually kinda detest it. The desync is just ridiculous on this map, with people magically disappearing and stuttering all over.

It seems like they have horse blinders on these days, and instead of listening to what's frustrating the players and setting aside a development cycle to just fix things (e.g. longstanding bugs, the desynch problem, QoL issues), they give us more stuff that's just as broken and unenjoyable as the old stuff. I've seen it before in other MMOs, and if Bioware Austin doesn't pull their collective heads out of their posteriors, they'll eventually end up with no one left to develop things for.

On a related note, I've heard a rumor that the desynch issue is related to their engine limitations (which isn't able to make use of multiprocessor technology, and therefore has a hard time keeping up with player positioning between the host server and the client PCs when player X/Y axis change dramatically). If there's any truth to this and they are unable or unwilling to update the engine (i.e. EA), then perhaps they should stop developing stuff that exacerbates the limitations of their current engine.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The desync is terrible in this map, way worse than on the PTS and more evidence that desync is progressively becoming more of a problem.

The removal of breaker while having the ball is the stupidest change they could have possibly made. The fact they added in such a monumentally stupid change AFTER the PTS was closed makes me wonder who is the work experience boy at bioware making these changes. FYI you can't use breaker in any huttball while carrying the ball, I had a queshball earlier and it's the same there.

What's the point in holding a PTS if you're going to make massive changes after it closes with zero testing or feedback.

It asks the question, is the change an intended feature or just a bug? I saw nothing in the patch about this change and I would assume it should have been if this was intended. Have you put feelers out to Bioware to find out?

Also, I agree with your assessment on the desync. As other people have been saying for months, everytime they add more content the desync gets worse. So it can’t be the hardware or our connections. It’s probably not even their connections but poor coding each time they change or add something.

The desync really needs to be fixed. It’s the number one problem plaguing pvp and makes it less enjoyable, I know people who’ve started to quit the game over it.

Edit : I will add, I’ve not seen this map desync in lowbies. It’s starts to in Mids and is terrible at level 70.

My best guess is it’s all the extra mobility-speed abilities classes get as they level up that are contributing to the desync. I notice this in most maps and not just Hutt Ball, but Hutt Ball is the worst.

Maybe that’s the reason they made those dumb changes to Operatives and Sins to try and fix it. Except it didn’t work and just made Sins clunky with less dps.

Edited by Totemdancer

Desync keeps getting worse and worse, we still have no official response other than "our engineers are constantly looking into yadda yadda".

At this stage I dont even think it’s hardware and an engineer isn’t going to be able to fix it. IMO, it’s bad coding because it only gets worse when they add new content. That points to the engine and the software, not the hardware,

It seems to me they don’t understand the cause and affect. Or maybe they do and can’t fix it because they’ve broken it so bad it would require a massive amount of time and money to identify the broken code and then rewrite it all. If that is the case they will keep causing more desync everytime they add or change something and the game will eventually become unplayable.

They really shouldn’t add anymore content and should stop all development until they fix it. Building on a crumbling foundation is going to destroy the game. Better to fix it now and take a hit than make people leave as they systematically make the game unplayable,

Not really sure about all the features on this map but sometimes it feels like ball carriers just randomly explode (I think it might be when they try to use grapple or something like that?).

And also a thing I have encountered is that I get the ball from killing the ball carrier (atleast on my screen) I run forward only to realise I didnt actually get the ball the enemy has it, it has happend to me like 2 or 3 times and I have no idea whats going on.

Another thing is that I have noticed alot of people running the wrong way with the ball, I think it might have something to do with the arrows pointing towards each of the goal line. But those arrows dont make any sense to me since they are redundant unless they where only pointing to the side that YOU are actually suppose to go, and not just pointing towards both goals confusing new players.

Edited by Henkan

I just got the bug where the acid kills you after you are out of it on the new Vandin map.

I don't have a video of it on the new map, but it's the same bug as this one:

That's desynch. The server thinks you're still in the acid, but on your PC (client), you're out of it. Like in poker, the server always wins.

Edited by Mournblood

At this stage I dont even think it’s hardware and an engineer isn’t going to be able to fix it. IMO, it’s bad coding because it only gets worse when they add new content. That points to the engine and the software, not the hardware,

This. I doubt it'll ever be fixed because I'd bet the issues lie in the engine, specifically the modifications they made to it when building this game. Doesn't matter what the hardware they throw at it if the issue is what they put on it. :/ /shrug

Hate the map though, and I'm one of the few psychotic people who loves Queshball. .-.

That's desynch. The server thinks you're still in the acid, but on your PC (client), you're out of it. Like in poker, the server always wins.

I just figured the acid is like actual acid, and dots you dead over time even if you aint in it. Like acid would. lol I didn't think it was an error, I really thought this was working as intended.

I've always thought that "desynch" was when it looks like somebody dropped down into the pit, but they really are on the 2nd level. It usually last like 6 or 7 seconds. It's long enough to trick you though.

I've always thought that "desynch" was when it looks like somebody dropped down into the pit, but they really are on the 2nd level. It usually last like 6 or 7 seconds. It's long enough to trick you though.

It's the same thing. The server's view of their position is not synchronized with the client's view (yours), which results in a misrepresentation of their actual position. Eventually, one catches up to the other, and suddenly they rubber band to 50 feet away from where you saw them. High-mobility abilities combined with elevation changes seem to exacerbate the problem.

Edited by Mournblood

I just figured the acid is like actual acid, and dots you dead over time even if you aint in it. Like acid would. lol I didn't think it was an error, I really thought this was working as intended.

Feel free to test it next time you're in Quesh by stepping in then stepping out. But I believe the acid damage is only while you're in contact with it. I don't recall there being a DoT component to it, as I've run through acid plenty of times with various movement abilities without dying. Unless they changed it to work differently in Vandin, which I haven't played enough to say with confidence that they didn't do something new and unannounced like they have been doing with other PvP changes lately.

Edited by Mournblood

Feel free to test it next time you're in Quesh by stepping in then stepping out. But I believe the acid damage is only while you're in contact with it. I don't recall there being a DoT component to it, as I've run through acid plenty of times with various movement abilities without dying.

Or look for a "acid" dot on the debuff tray. Either way you're right, I've run through myself, and the one memorable time where i had two healers chasing me around on my tank and they healed me through it lol.

Feel free to test it next time you're in Quesh by stepping in then stepping out. But I believe the acid damage is only while you're in contact with it. I don't recall there being a DoT component to it, as I've run through acid plenty of times with various movement abilities without dying. Unless they changed it to work differently in Vandin, which I haven't played enough to say with confidence that they didn't do something new and unannounced like they have been doing with other PvP changes lately.

I just figured it was working as intended because I have never had this effect happen to me in Quesh Huttball. Only the new map is doing that when I run through the acid.

I just figured it was working as intended because I have never had this effect happen to me in Quesh Huttball. Only the new map is doing that when I run through the acid.

Since I'm not really playing anymore, I can't test this, but as Kendra said, look for an acid DoT debuff next time you run through the acid in Vandin to see if it persists after you're out. It's entirely possible that they added the mechanic without really telling anyone.

Edited by Mournblood

That acid isn't supposed to leave a DoT on you like in that video no. It's a bug that happens, there was someone who got a video of it happening in Vandin while it was still on PTS (https://clips.twitch.tv/BraveThoughtfulPandaVoteNay). No one knew how to reliably recreate it though I don't think. I tried to but couldn't get it to happen.

The gas traps DO leave a heavy DoT on you, but the acid shouldn't.

Edited by kukumburr