Looking for Signatures: Allow Speedy to be brought Back to Life

Zurashad

LOL... so true. :)

Been true since before launch in fact.... all the way back to beta when companions could still be killed off.

Yep.

It is basically why we can’t have nice things. People love consequences in theory but when faced with them they plead for others to void the consequences.

• 3 weeks later...

I killed him, didn't get the title. Submitted bug report. Within a few days, Speedy was back! Scritchy and his crate had been returned to Odessan. Decided to keep him and do without the title.

Well, the next day Scritchy and his crate were back and Speedy was again a pile of bones. Guess he developed a taste for turtle.

And I still don't have that title. (Yes, bug reports have been made.)

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be horrible. Sigh.

Edited by BattleAxMaeve

I don't see why this is such a problem. It should be character based. If I kill him on one character, it should stay dead on that character. If I leave him alive on the rest of my 60+ characters, he should still be alive on those characters. For the record I have not even purchased the SH let alone killed speedy personally, however I have no issues of this being PER CHARACTER. being Legacy based is unacceptable. In MMO choices should never matter.

Some people intentionally hunt achievements, and shouldn't have this affect every single character on the legacy.

Edited by Toraak

I don't see why this is such a problem. It should be character based. If I kill him on one character, it should stay dead on that character. If I leave him alive on the rest of my 60+ characters, he should still be alive on those characters. For the record I have not even purchased the SH let alone killed speedy personally, however I have no issues of this being PER CHARACTER. being Legacy based is unacceptable. In MMO choices should never matter.

Some people intentionally hunt achievements, and shouldn't have this affect every single character on the legacy.

The reward is legacy based though. You get the legacy title on every character, for this and every other achievement that grants a legacy title. Therefore, you should face the consequences of going for the achievement on every character. Fair's fair.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who want to have their cake and eat it too. Everyone who killed Speedy did so of their own free will. It's not something you can do accidentally; there's a whole involved process. They knew the consequences. If you don't want said consequences, don't do the thing that gives you said consequences. Easy.

Edited by AscendingSky

The reward is legacy based though. You get the legacy title on every character, for this and every other achievement that grants a legacy title. Therefore, you should face the consequences of going for the achievement on every character. Fair's fair.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who want to have their cake and eat it too. Everyone who killed Speedy did so of their own free will. It's not something you can do accidentally; there's a whole involved process. They knew the consequences. If you don't want said consequences, don't do the thing that gives you said consequences. Easy.

^^ Exactly. :)

It has to be legacy base--Speedy is like a deco, and your decorations don't change when you change the characters you are on. I agree, if you get the title, you must lose Speedy and enjoy Scritchy I'm just peeved that I lost Speedy and didn't get the title. One or the other.

Or is this a case of crime not paying?

Then someone explain me this. I have Speedy and the achievement. lol

As I understand it, based on comments seen in the forum:

1) you get the achievement for killing Speedy on one character. And achievements are legacy wide... so you only need to do it once.

2) other characters on your Legacy can and will still see Speedy.

Shouldn't matter if it's a legacy title or not. The fact is Consequences in an MMO are meaningless, especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with the story. It's a SH a non essential part of the game. It should always be character based.

At least for the achievement hunters it's 0 points, so they can decide if they want it or not.

Edited by Toraak

Shouldn't matter if it's a legacy title or not. The fact is Consequences in an MMO are meaningless, especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with the story. It's a SH a non essential part of the game. It should always be character based.

At least for the achievement hunters it's 0 points, so they can decide if they want it or not.

If you know doing a thing is going to have consequences, but you don't want those consequences, then don't do the thing. It's not quantum mechanics, this shouldn't be that hard to understand. :rolleyes:

Edited by AscendingSky

It's totally premeditated murder.

Also don't reincarnate the dead. Give an achievement to the turtle lovers that kept him alive. Decency should be rewarded, not punished. A nice title and an allotment of CC would be a great prize.

I like this idea. Give an award to those that still have speedy after a certain amount of time and kept Speedy (after this point Speedy becomes nolonger killable); and a small quest for the other group that have had second thoughts on what they've done (Vader did). After this point any that Prefer No Pets get what they want.

If you know doing a thing is going to have consequences, but you don't want those consequences, then don't do the thing. It's not quantum mechanics, this shouldn't be that hard to understand. :rolleyes:

If you read my earlier post, I don't even have the SH, so won't affect me. However with that being said. It's a SH, having a consequence like that isn't needed, and is a poor design decision.

Edited by Toraak

You know I could understand it , if it wasn't something you actually had to work to do. It not like you have to walk up to Speedy and kill him.

You actually have to want to do it since it takes a bit of traveling and going through some steps to actually kill him. So for anyone to do that and then say oh I don't think he should be dead, well you had the choice before you started the progress to do it.

If you read my earlier post, I don't even have the SH, so won't affect me. However with that being said. It's a SH, having a consequence like that isn't needed, and is a poor design decision.

You have to VERY deliberately go out of your way to get Speedy killed off.. so there is no way this is something that happens against the players wishes.

And of course in the modern era of nobody wanting to take responsibility for their deliberate choices and actions.... everyone demands the studio bail them out of their choices.

Edited by Andryah

You have to VERY deliberately go out of your way to get Speedy killed off.. so there is no way this is something that happens against the players wishes.

And of course in the modern era of nobody wanting to take responsibility for their deliberate choices and actions.... everyone demands the studio bail them out of their choices.

I think everybody realizes that you have to deliberately do this. I think the point is that it is being taken WAY too seriously. "Your actions have consequences" and pushing the hard line about this seems so unnecessary! Why be so restrictive about this? What purpose does that serve? Is it just so you can scold other players who might want to have their cake and eat it too, when (in this instance) it really does not matter or make any huge impact on the game if they do?

LOL "everyone demands the studio bail them out". Give me a break. Your reproach is noted, but so unnecessary. It's a stupid pet in a stupid stronghold for crying out loud.

The Catholic Nun whacking everyone's knuckles for every little transgression I grew up hating wasn't even this strict over something so trivial. And in fact, I look back now and feel terribly sorry for someone who spends their life doing little other than expressing scorn for others. Lighten up a little!

I think everybody realizes that you have to deliberately do this. I think the point is that it is being taken WAY too seriously. "Your actions have consequences" and pushing the hard line about this seems so unnecessary! Why be so restrictive about this? What purpose does that serve? Is it just so you can scold other players who might want to have their cake and eat it too, when (in this instance) it really does not matter or make any huge impact on the game if they do?

LOL "everyone demands the studio bail them out". Give me a break. Your reproach is noted, but so unnecessary. It's a stupid pet in a stupid stronghold for crying out loud.

The Catholic Nun whacking everyone's knuckles for every little transgression I grew up hating wasn't even this strict over something so trivial. And in fact, I look back now and feel terribly sorry for someone who spends their life doing little other than expressing scorn for others. Lighten up a little!

Hey, why are you taking this thread so seriously? It's just a forum about a video game, give me a break. Your reproach is noted, but so unnecessary. It's a stupid forum thread about a stupid game for crying out loud. In fact, I look at the forums nowadays and feel terribly sorry for someone who spends their life doing little other than expressing scorn for others on a forum. Lighten up a little!

Obviously, the above isn't what I actually feel, but just because you think a certain part of the game is stupid or unimportant doesn't mean that that is true for everyone else.

Hey, why are you taking this thread so seriously? It's just a forum about a video game, give me a break. Your reproach is noted, but so unnecessary. It's a stupid forum thread about a stupid game for crying out loud. In fact, I look at the forums nowadays and feel terribly sorry for someone who spends their life doing little other than expressing scorn for others on a forum. Lighten up a little!

Obviously, the above isn't what I actually feel, but just because you think a certain part of the game is stupid or unimportant doesn't mean that that is true for everyone else.

I don't think it's stupid or unimportant at all, I think taking a hard line about people wanting a way to get Speedy back is stupid though. There are certain posters on these forums that go from thread to thread basically telling everyone why they are wrong/entitled/bratty/out of their minds and I guess after reading enough posts from those people, I felt like there was room to suggest lightening up a little, especially about a stronghold pet that affects absolutely nothing else about the game and wouldn't harm a thing to let players have a way of bringing him back if they wanted to.

I mean, it's not likely to be changed but what harm does it do to ask? People love to criticize everyone else's viewpoint around here as if they are never wrong about anything and every topic of discussion is heart-attack serious. All the consternation gets old after awhile, I suppose. I just got my fill of it and posted, feeling like it was getting a little out of hand to make such a big deal about it. But I could also avoid all that by not reading these forums anymore. There is little enough to read here these days that is new anyways, and I'm certain no one would even notice. But I'm okay with that. :)

I don't think it's stupid or unimportant at all, I think taking a hard line about people wanting a way to get Speedy back is stupid though. There are certain posters on these forums that go from thread to thread basically telling everyone why they are wrong/entitled/bratty/out of their minds and I guess after reading enough posts from those people, I felt like there was room to suggest lightening up a little, especially about a stronghold pet that affects absolutely nothing else about the game and wouldn't harm a thing to let players have a way of bringing him back if they wanted to.

I mean, it's not likely to be changed but what harm does it do to ask? People love to criticize everyone else's viewpoint around here as if they are never wrong about anything and every topic of discussion is heart-attack serious. All the consternation gets old after awhile, I suppose. I just got my fill of it and posted, feeling like it was getting a little out of hand to make such a big deal about it. But I could also avoid all that by not reading these forums anymore. There is little enough to read here these days that is new anyways, and I'm certain no one would even notice. But I'm okay with that. :)

Considering this is likely the one thing in game where your choices actually have lasting consequences, as trivial as they may be, I hardly blame people for not wanting it to change. :p