PvP Changes

Dumbaxx

I'm starting this post to see what people think of these. If you agree, cool. And if you disagree, cool. Either way state why you think the way you do or add other things you would like to see. These changes I would like to see are only for PvP as I don't really mind in PvE except every class (specialization) should be viable for NiM (which they are not and that would be a different thread). The first change I would like to see is a DPS cap on tanks. With that, they would need to change how the mitigation works to actually work. Secondly, take guard away from all non-tanks. It's kind of ridiculous to go against a team that has at least one DD that can put guard on a healer reducing the damage they take while the other team might not have one (ranked). It's just a tad bit unbalanced especially since those classes usually have higher DPS than any of the other classes. Third, let us queue for which warzone we want to participate in. I have talked with several people and they do NOT want another stupid Huttball map. We get the other two too often as it is. Also, nothing again like Odessen Proving Grounds, which I have yet to meet anyone who says they legitimately like it. They only tolerate it. Just let us queue for the warzones we like so we don't get Quesh Huttball 6-7 times in a row followed by 6-7 Odessen Proving Grounds. Or from leaving warzones requiring a back-fill of others. Fourth, stop having Gore and Electronet blocking the Sorcerers and Sages Force Barrier. Just have it block Force Speed and Phasewalk at the most. Those two abilities (Gore and Electronet) only stop people from using speed enhancing abilities on any other class (I don't know why Sorcs and Sages are hated on so much). Fifth, if Mercenary and Commando heals are going to have as many DCDs as they do they need a slight nerf on their HPS in warzones. And the final change I would like is for some type of nerf on Operatives/Scoundrels. There is no reason for them to have the highest DPS, most mobility, shortest DCDs, can't be interrupted (mainly DDs), hardest time stunning/cc'ing them and highest HPS for off-healing. I know Mercenarys and Commandos get the most flak for being the most overpowered but they are really, at best, mid tier (I play all classes and specializations except Operative/Scoundrel because they are way too strong and for skill less players i.e. new players).

I'm starting this post to see what people think of these. If you agree, cool. And if you disagree, cool. Either way state why you think the way you do or add other things you would like to see.

These changes I would like to see are only for PvP as I don't really mind in PvE except every class (specialization) should be viable for NiM (which they are not and that would be a different thread).

The first change I would like to see is a DPS cap on tanks. With that, they would need to change how the mitigation works to actually work.

Secondly, take guard away from all non-tanks. It's kind of ridiculous to go against a team that has at least one DD that can put guard on a healer reducing the damage they take while the other team might not have one (ranked). It's just a tad bit unbalanced especially since those classes usually have higher DPS than any of the other classes.

Third, let us queue for which warzone we want to participate in.

I have talked with several people and they do NOT want another stupid Huttball map. We get the other two too often as it is.

Also, nothing again like Odessen Proving Grounds, which I have yet to meet anyone who says they legitimately like it. They only tolerate it.

Just let us queue for the warzones we like so we don't get Quesh Huttball 6-7 times in a row followed by 6-7 Odessen Proving Grounds. Or from leaving warzones requiring a back-fill of others.

Fourth, stop having Gore and Electronet blocking the Sorcerers and Sages Force Barrier. Just have it block Force Speed and Phasewalk at the most. Those two abilities (Gore and Electronet) only stop people from using speed enhancing abilities on any other class (I don't know why Sorcs and Sages are hated on so much).

Fifth, if Mercenary and Commando heals are going to have as many DCDs as they do they need a slight nerf on their HPS in warzones.

And the final change I would like is for some type of nerf on Operatives/Scoundrels. There is no reason for them to have the highest DPS, most mobility, shortest DCDs, can't be interrupted (mainly DDs), hardest time stunning/cc'ing them and highest HPS for off-healing.

I know Mercenarys and Commandos get the most flak for being the most overpowered but they are really, at best, mid tier (I play all classes and specializations except Operative/Scoundrel because they are way too strong and for skill less players i.e. new players).

Here I fixed it for you. ^

While I agree with some of your points, there were some other points that you lost me on.

What shocked me the most about your post -

* That you think Snipers are okay when they are the most rediculous class in the game currently with Merc running almost neck and neck with it. These classes are totally broken.

* You think Operatives have the highest DPS in the game currently.

* That you used Gore and E-Net in the same sentence - That you think a 1.5 second hinder comes even remotely close to e-nets effects. I'm not sure why you think Gore effects anything like e-net with regard to sorcs. Gore - prevents the target from using “high mobility” actions and escapes for a GCD (1.5s). The following is an excerpt to Sorc guide on Dulfy regarding Force Barrer - "Force Barrier can be blocked by Electro Net so remember to keep your Unbreakable Will for Nets if opposite team has Commandos or Mercenaries." It says nothing about Gore or any other ability, only e-net.

That you are okay with DPS mercs and Snipers is telling. They rule PVP.

While I agree DDs shouldn't have access to Guard, you can't just stop there. Guard is okay but Taunting as a DPS and making your whole team take 30% less damage for 6 seconds and you can use it on CD is fine?.

That DPS specs healing in excess of 1 mill + sometimes is okay?

Gaurd, Taunting, Self heals, Off heals, perma stealth, cleanses, the ability to bring people back from the dead in combat. None of these things have anything even remotely to do with DPSing. You need none of them to be effective as a DPS. Marauder's don't have any off-role abilities.

You can't say it's not okay for tank spec option classes to have Guard, and than say it's fine for a heal option spec to have cleanses and off heals.

While I do think DPS are healing WAY too much, at least in the case of Operatives they have to choose if they want to use a GCD for healing or for attacking, they can't do both. The other classes can. As far as I am concerned, all DPS specs with heals should have to adhere to that same principle. - I.E. When was the last time you saw a boxer putting a band-aid on while throwing a roundhouse punch?

Why the hell Bounty Hunters would be able to perform open heart surgery while shooting is beyond me. When did Boba Fett or Jango fett become doctors? When did Darth Vader go to night school to become an RN exactly [Jugg heals], when did they start teaching Snipers in the military how to repair their punctured lung that just collapsed while firing their sniper rifle?

Can't cherry pick which off role abilities are acceptable for someone who's job and training have nothing to would with said abilities, as that isn't their function. - In moderation, okay, fine. But in the extreme, it's ridiculous and breaks trinity at a certain point when said off-role abilities are excessive. You have to be fair. If it's not okay for a DPS to be guarding, it should also not be okay for them to be taunting or healing other people. Can't deprive just one that way and leave the others intact when they are guilty of doing the very same thing just in a different application. It wouldn't be fair to tank spec option classes.

Agreed with you on some of the other points though.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

The only time i feel operative DPS is over the top is if my burst window is lined up with their's and i reflect their auto crit and mine goes off at the same time. That usually only happens if someone isn't paying attention. That said, operative DCDs are not simply click it and forget it. You have to use them at the correct time or they're worthless. There's way less forgiveness if you just burn through them and don't have a stun break available. That being said, if a seasoned player who knows what damage is coming and when, they can mitigate a lot of damage and often. But i think other classes have it way better. Mercs have waaaay more forgiving cooldowns that are nearly as good if not better.

WZ map selection will be nice. I think it will give BW viable feedback on which maps they can just pull completely and focus their future WZ design around what players like.

I wouldn't mind a DPS penalty on DPS using guard like it use to be. 50% damage reduction should come at a cost. I do like the idea of having it available because it can be an important tool. But it should be just like DPS offhealing. Lose DPS/Energy/Force in order to heal. I also wouldn't mind the cost of off healing going up for DPS.

While I do think DPS are healing WAY too much, at least in the case of Operatives they have to choose if they want to use a GCD for healing or for attacking, they can't do both. The other classes can. As far as I am concerned, all DPS specs with heals should have to adhere to that same principle. - I.E. When was the last time you saw a boxer putting a band-aid on while throwing a roundhouse punch?.

You want to take away my life steal, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :mad:

Sincerely, Maining Madness Sorcerer

(In a more serious tone, I get why one could be annoyed by DCDs that, in regs, are pretty much guaranteed to heal you up, but I feel madness life steal is different. We had it before everyone and their pet dog got healing DCDs and sorcs are so squishy, they need some self-heals.)

I see the new changes like this, you gotta start somewhere after neglecting it for so long, and the first thing is the framework, which is what they are addressing.

Once they fix the stacking tanks and heals we will have a much better idea about where the individual classes lie competitively speaking. Stop the cancer comp stacking, which they are planning to do, get back to something that resembles an overall balance picture, then evaluate the classes/specs based on those results.

Its really simple "how to fix multiple problems 101". You prioritize, and most people outside the hardcore premade crowd would say that the overall group comp is the single largest issue the game has. Stopping the heal/skank stacking and the heal/dps//2 skanks teams is the best place to start IMO.

If the proposed changes in this regard work half as well as they sound the overall gameplay will be much improved for all and matches witll be much mor fair and balanced. Isnt this the idea after all? Any real PVPer in any game should champion balance and everyone having a chance at a fair fight, take the BS out of the picture and let the skill handle the rest. It wont stop premade dominance, nothing will, nor should it, but there needs to be balance at the overall team comp team level, before the spec level.

I still find it interesting that everyone is still playing the Merc/Sniper card when there are twice as many Juggs in most matches im in. Even though most are skanks it doesnt change it. I see some serious deflection going on, and a lot of people still that dont understand how to not play into the Merc and the Jugg skanks DCDs for that matter. For Pete sake we literally glow, how much more obvious do you want it?

While I agree DDs shouldn't have access to Guard, you can't just stop there. Guard is okay but Taunting as a DPS and making your whole team take 30% less damage for 6 seconds and you can use it on CD is fine?.

That DPS specs healing in excess of 1 mill + sometimes is okay?

Gaurd, Taunting, Self heals, Off heals, perma stealth, cleanses, the ability to bring people back from the dead in combat. None of these things have anything even remotely to do with DPSing. You need none of them to be effective as a DPS. Marauder's don't have any off-role abilities.

Yeah, let's take away any support abilities from all dmg classes, cause that would be so fun and bring nice class diversity. Might as well just remove juggernaut class entirely. If you think snipers and maras are op now, wow, they'd be more so with this.

Marauders and snipers are pure dmg classes. They don't have off-support abilities and make up for that by dealing more dmg (ideally) (in PvP).

Do NOT remove taunt/guard from dmg classes. Just make them less efficient if needed, i.e. reduce dmg by a smaller percentage. Balancing by removing abilities is ridiculous.

Edited by Neulwen

Balancing by removing abilities is ridiculous.

I agree with this. I don't know why homogenizing classes seems fun for people.

I like heals, I like guarding, I like the trinity meta, I like dps classes that can off-heal etc. I understand the trouble all these facets bring to PVP, but that's not my problem I am just the player.

Balance better without nerfs and class gimping. Thanks.

I agree with this. I don't know why homogenizing classes seems fun for people.

I like heals, I like guarding, I like the trinity meta, I like dps classes that can off-heal etc. I understand the trouble all these facets bring to PVP, but that's not my problem I am just the player.

Balance better without nerfs and class gimping. Thanks.

Pruning and homogenizing is a very bad idea. WoW just went thru this for Legion, and is doing it again for BFA, and the community hates it and is in uproar.

Plus, it doesnt help the problem, you still have to balance with whatever remains.

I dont have a problem with dps specs having guards really, but it should be somewhat less effective than a tanks as dps class heals are.

WE need utility, its what makes the game interesting. The ability to shift on the fly and adjust to human reactions, its why we PvP over scripted PvE fights, it should be all about the pew pew.

third, let us queue for which warzone we want to participate in. I have talked with several people and they do not want another stupid huttball map. We get the other two too often as it is. Also, nothing again like odessen proving grounds, which i have yet to meet anyone who says they legitimately like it. They only tolerate it. Just let us queue for the warzones we like so we don't get quesh huttball 6-7 times in a row followed by 6-7 odessen proving grounds.

preach

r

e

a

c

h

I know a lot of people who like Odessen proving grounds, myself included. What I hate is being teamed up with too many people who hate the map or suck at it, but same can be said for Hypergate, Huttball, Voidstar, Yavin and arenas (and probably for Novare and ACW too, but I am not completely certain, fewer people seem to suck there, mostly...).

As for all the proposals, I think anything larger than a few tweaks on a few overtuned or undertuned abilities is too much to ask at the moment until the 5.9.2 changes come up. They should already turn the PVP balance upside down (in a good way) as it is, rather not discuss absolutes such as letting DPS retain guard/taunt/heals or taking them away before we see how things look few weeks after 5.9.2 (to be exact, after the initial bugs of 5.9.2 have been fixed in 5.9.2b and it is running as intended for a few weeks ;))

I have talked with several people and they do NOT want another stupid Huttball map. We get the other two too often as it is.

I don't want a stupid huttball map, but I would love a smartly designed one, and a fix to dsync.

Fourth, stop having Gore and Electronet blocking the Sorcerers and Sages Force Barrier. Just have it block Force Speed and Phasewalk at the most. Those two abilities (Gore and Electronet) only stop people from using speed enhancing abilities on any other class (I don't know why Sorcs and Sages are hated on so much).

Um, no. Stealthers are unable to stealth out with elenet on. A pretty big deal.

Edited by Neulwen

You want to take away my life steal, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. :mad:

Sincerely, Maining Madness Sorcerer

(In a more serious tone, I get why one could be annoyed by DCDs that, in regs, are pretty much guaranteed to heal you up, but I feel madness life steal is different. We had it before everyone and their pet dog got healing DCDs and sorcs are so squishy, they need some self-heals.)

If I failed to mention it, as I usually do when it comes to that topic, I personally feel that DPS sorcs should be the exception, they should have better healing abilities that other DPS. I recognize the difference between them and others and I feel that it just goes more appropriately for DPS sorcs than others.

DPS Sorcs should have the best heals of all DPS. Even if they went with the idea I proposed [which they won't] to have DPS heals work like Operatives, I would say that DPS sorcs should be the only exception among DPS specs,that they wouldn't have to choose what they do with the GCD. That might be too leniant under those conditions and make them too strong, I can't be sure of that so that would have to be something to be playtested, but that's just my gut notion on the subject.

DPS Sorcs need the heals, I don't disagree.

Yeah, let's take away any support abilities from all dmg classes, cause that would be so fun and bring nice class diversity. Might as well just remove juggernaut class entirely. If you think snipers and maras are op now, wow, they'd be more so with this.

Marauders and snipers are pure dmg classes. They don't have off-support abilities and make up for that by dealing more dmg (ideally) (in PvP).

Do NOT remove taunt/guard from dmg classes. Just make them less efficient if needed, i.e. reduce dmg by a smaller percentage. Balancing by removing abilities is ridiculous.

I think you mistook my meaning.

I think I mentioned the pure dps class thing. The only problem with that right now is that Snipers aren't adhereing to that mold and Marauders are. Snipers are able to heal rediculous amounts of damage and they shouldn't be. They didn't use to have heals before 5.x, Pure DPS classes shouldn't have heals because heals are off role for them.

My point about removing guard was not that I thought it was okay for DPS to have, I don't think that, my point you can start cherry picking which off role abiltites are okay for DPS and which arent. It would mess up the balance of power even more than it is now and that is a thought that buggers the mind.

You can't say it's not okay to guard as a DPS but it's fine to taunt. Taunting also reduces incoming damage for other people. In fact, it may very well be reducing more damage than guards do because guards only effect one person and taunts effect 7 people, reducing their incoming damage by 30%.

If neither of those things are okay for a DPS spec to do [which I do feel], than off healing makes even less sense, because at least guarding is directly combat related. Healing isn't. I can heal at all and yet I am still able to do DPS.

I get what you are saying about not wanting to make all DPS classes/specs the same, and I do agree. I'm not advocating the complete removal of all off-role abilities. In moderation that's fine, keep all the heals, but moderate them. Because as it stands now, it's so out of hand, I can't even imagine how it ever got this bad.

I don't think Marauders and Snipers are OP. I think Snipers are OP and Fury Marauder is a little too strong. There are three different specs of Marauder and they are very different from each other and one of those specs [carnage which I play] has been nerfed into utter oblivion. It has never been worse. And that is why you see almost every MArauder is Fury now because they are so much stronger than Annihilation and Carnage. It's understandable why some people think Marauders are too strong because they are really only dealing with Fury Marauders 90% of the time so, to them, that seems like all Marauders, but, it isn't. Some of us still play Anni and Carnage.

Damage isn't what is making Mercs, Snipers and Fury Marauders too strong, healing and multi-facet DCDs [DCDs that heal/reflect/grant invulnerability all at the same time] are. Fury is very strong because it has some of the highest damage in the game and it has 6 seconds of anti-CC as a passive effect that can be used ever 24 seconds which gives it a substantial increase in uptime given he incessant amount of CCs that get thrown around in PVP. Additionally, they have greater mobility as they have a second leap and they can leap to snipers which is something no one else can do. You cannot shut Fury down, and it has insane burst and it also has a DOT [which they stole from Carnage].

My point is there is virtually no moderation of off-role abilities, and just for the record, Snipers and Marauders don't have the highest DPS in the game presently, but I do agree they should. Snipers need to lose the heals if they want that back. You can say well it's okay for one pure DPS class to have heals but not the other one. As I don't think Marauders should have heals, the only option than is to make neither one have heals.

I'm not talking about removal, I'm talking about moderation of off-role abilities. As it stands now, role barely matters anymore. There is no excuse for DPS healing 1 mill + in heals in a WZ and Taunting as a DPS is just as effective as when a tank uses it and has no downside [it doesn't change a thing for the user, doesn't make anyone attack them in PVP] and can be used on CD. - I don't imagine moderation of off-role abilities being welcomed by most players, nor do I expect anything to change in that regard.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I agree with a couple of the OPs points.

Tanks should have a DPS cap (which they do when the Devs dummy parse in tank gear).

What should happen is that cap should be a soft cap so it doesn’t matter how much dps gear a tank puts on, they will not be able to exceed the damage the combat team can do on a dummy in tank gear.

This way, dedicated tanks don’t get their dps nerfed and it makes it easier for the Devs to balance the damage around them.

I also agree that dps spec shouldn’t be able to guard or taunt. I know I’m in a minority with this one. But I just don’t believe in hybrids. I don’t think the game needs them because we have dedicated specs to cover all the roles.

The same goes for off healing classes. You are either a healer or a dps. I don’t propose they remove the healing from the dps, just limit them to being used on themselves.

I too would like a choice in WZ maps, but the time for that has gone. We do not have enough people still playing the game for that to be viable. We should have had it 5 years ago.

I also hate Odessen and if we could choose just one WZ not to have to do, it would be Odessen. It’s the only map I regularly leave before it even starts.

I do think the queue system needs some work to make sure you don’t pop the same map constantly (wether its HB or NC or VS). Sometimes it feels like there is a map of the day where you pop 4-5 in a row or you pop 7/10 of the same maps and never get any others.

I can understand when there might be a heap of people in the queue and you are just unlucky to get on another mixed team on the same map, but when you are basically all grouped together in the same team against the same team every pop and you get the same map each time, there is a problem with how the queue is deciding which map to give you.

I am concerned about the new system reducing arena matches when the queue is full (during primetime). This seems counter productive and a real blow for people who prefer death matching. All this means is people will use that as an excuse not to play the objectives in 8 man. “We can’t get arena, blame Bioware”.

I do like the proposed system that switches from 8 man to arena when the queue reduces to a certain lvl. This has been needed for a couple of years and I’ve been a very loud proponent for it. So I am really pleased to see this happening,

I’m just disappointed that it is going to affect the normal primetime to do so. I dont believe the change to the primetime pop is needed and feel it will be detrimental to objective pvp and a blow for those people who like arena. Unless there is a technical reason for changing the primetime arena pop, they should not do it and just change the pop for low population times.

Class balance is getting close, it’s now going to be hard for them to tweak things without over nerfing or over buffing and making some other classes pvp gods. Yes, there is still some work to do, Lightning sorcs dps, PTs survivability and Jugg anti focus. I’m not so sure about Mercs and Snipers. I dont think they should touch DPS (they’ve already gone too far), so maybe some very small tweaks to DCDs.

I am looking forward to some match making or queue balance. Out of the cross faction matches I had yesterday, one team had all the healers and the other team didn’t, this was even happening during same faction matches. I left so many arena matches, Imp vs Imp that had 2-3 healers on one team and none on the other. IMO, this will be the most important change to pvp since launch and should have been done 6 years ago.

Cross faction will also be good for the queue, especially for Pubs. I wait twice as long at prime time for pub pops and wait 3-4 times longer outside of prime time. Sometimes it doesn’t even pop.

I do think Bioware need to work on one more thing for this pvp roadmap which would make it close to perfect. That is to make lowbies and Mids viable again for people to learn how to pvp there. It is currently a ghost town and new people or people lvling new toons can’t get any pops.

I think we all see how bad lvl 70 pvp has become with people not knowing maps, abilities, basic strategy or even being able to fight out side of a gank group, everyone seems to have to run in a pack to 5v1 people. God forbid they get into a 1v1 or 2v2 situation.

End game pvp should not be where people learn the basics. That is what lowbies and Mids is for,

So Bioware need to add some real incentives to get these people to play lower lvl pvp before getting to lvl 70. I believe the best way to do that is add command point and UCs as rewards. But lock them (bind them) to the character until they reach lvl 70.

Other than that, I’m happy with the road map. I just hope they really are serious about fixing d-sync, bugs and cheating.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Thank god. Those walls of txt that aren’t in paragraphs hurt my eyes. Normally I just don’t read them.

It is an intelligent scheme. He knows everyone will read the fixed version and can make a few alterations in critical locations to fit his design, such as adding/removing a ''no'' here and there :D

Joking, of course, guy is a good man. I wouldn't read such a long unparagraphed wall myself, and I often read/write walls.

It is an intelligent scheme. He knows everyone will read the fixed version and can make a few alterations in critical locations to fit his design, such as adding/removing a ''no'' here and there :D

Joking, of course, guy is a good man. I wouldn't read such a long unparagraphed wall myself, and I often read/write walls.

That's a good idea... hmm.

If I failed to mention it, as I usually do when it comes to that topic, I personally feel that DPS sorcs should be the exception, they should have better healing abilities that other DPS. I recognize the difference between them and others and I feel that it just goes more appropriately for DPS sorcs than others.

DPS Sorcs should have the best heals of all DPS. Even if they went with the idea I proposed [which they won't] to have DPS heals work like Operatives, I would say that DPS sorcs should be the only exception among DPS specs,that they wouldn't have to choose what they do with the GCD. That might be too leniant under those conditions and make them too strong, I can't be sure of that so that would have to be something to be playtested, but that's just my gut notion on the subject.

DPS Sorcs need the heals, I don't disagree.

I would disagree, no dps class should heal on the level of a heal spec. What dps sorcs need is a damage buff, not a healing buff.

Thank god. Those walls of txt that aren’t in paragraphs hurt my eyes. Normally I just don’t read them.

yes because the way things are presented are more important that what's written. also, i was typing that out on my phone and it looked far worse than that.

yes because the way things are presented are more important that what's written. also, i was typing that out on my phone and it looked far worse than that.

I agree with you, the substance of something is far greater than it's appearance!

That being said, you are welcome for my expert editing! :)

You misunderstand. I’m getting old and it hurts my eyes straining to read a wall of text on my iPad. That’s what I meant by, “thank god”, because it made it easier for me to read.

You misunderstand. I’m getting old and it hurts my eyes straining to read a wall of text on my iPad. That’s what I meant by, “thank god”, because it made it easier for me to read.

You're too nice sometimes, trixxie.

Paragraphs help the natural flow of your arguement, and thus help your reader to understand and follow it better.