A honest two cents from a hardcore WoW player on TOR

Angedechu

i too was a wow player for 3-4 years. wasnt that hardcore but still i played more than casuallly. and i know warcraft from the day it came out with warcraft RTS games.

but when i played the beta's i was sold. the game just pulls you in its that attractive. wow just seems so enormously outdated its rediculous. i mean Wow was always a cool game. but after 3-4 years you start to notice the little things and they can get annoying really fast. as stated a lot on these and wow's forums. wow is getting easier and easier. and that's going to cause their downfall in my opinion. only if mists of pandaria brings A LOT more innovative thinking to the world of azeroth people will leave wow and never come back.

even this thread maker must realize this. again i will never say that wow is a bad game. it certainly isnt. but in my opinion swtor brings a lot of new quality of gameplay and innovative thinking to the players. heard that BW is bringing a new planet in january as their first new content addon. new content after the first month after the release? imagine a year from now....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

new MMOs have a period of "new shiney toy" syndrome. TOR has a nice story setting, but like you, waiting on end game and followup content.

if they don't give us good content, more than 80% of these people will go back to world of whorecraft.

the community is the #1 reason most of the wow peeps stay. they are imbed in a an old familiar system.

Who paid yesterday for a six month plan, so I have the right to speak.

Well everyone has the right to speak and supply an opinion, even if they haven't paid for a month's subscription

Your opinion is valid, but once again is just one little niche of a much bigger picture, in my own personal opinion WoW is just boring now, you can only get so much out of a game for 7yrs and not want to play something different with a different setting and game system.

At the moment I actually find the story a really strong reason to make alts and keep playing, and I look forward to them adding even more storylines in the future. There is something SWTOR gives me that WoW never did......immersion in my characters

wow is getting easier and easier.

It's not. Atleast not in HCs.

And please, we all have seen what happens when they try to make it harder. Or didn't you get the memo of the subscriber loss during Cataclysms "everything must be hard again" theme?

The average guy wants his game to be easy. If he gets stuck he quits.

I have the same reservations about Endgame/Content patches and whether keeping to a voice acted story would mean huge delays on patches.

Whilst the combat isn't amazing it's a big job to create an MMO and so far I think they've done a good job. Only after the first few months can we actually start to see what a company running an MMO is competent or not. So far I really don't consider this a bad launch and I haven't come across any ground breaking bugs so I think quality control is there, but I can't see many people hanging around for 6-9 months whilst they deliver patch contents.

I guess the only option is to suck it and see as they say.

Who paid yesterday for a six month plan, so I have the right to speak.

TOR is a wonderful game : it's certainly worth the 60$ I paid for it.

This said, for someone who leveled two chracters to level 20, the story, while very good for a MMO, is not a ''killing'' point. Same with voiceovers. It's a neat addition, but it's not a world changing thing (in fact, as much as I like storyline, there are times I would just like to ''read'' a quest that amount to kill 10 animals). I was, tbh, very disapointed when I realized that the ''origins stories'' are shared to a large degree.

The rest of the gameplay, is, well, very similar about a certain MMO. For good or bad. I did not had the various bugs many people have, so I'm happy for that. (As someone who play WoW, I'm also completely oblivious to graphics most of the time, so I turn down my settings on TOR...)

This said, I reserve my judgement about playing the game extensively about, well, endgame.

ATM, sadly, TOR have not convinced me to switch. At all.

I loved WoW, it was a terrific game. But i am done with it.

I have to ask you a question though, how are you coming to terms with the new talent trees they are releasing in the panda expac? Seems really really lame.

I loved WoW, it was a terrific game. But i am done with it.

I have to ask you a question though, how are you coming to terms with the new talent trees they are releasing in the panda expac? Seems really really lame.

The talent overhaul seems alright, potentially good but too early to say. Or so I say.

If people go into withdrawal when the expansion hits then they can always use SWTOR's system for the weaning process, I guess.

Have the changes arrived already? I haven't actually tried them.

Edited by Kenthen

Just for the record, you all know there is a option to turn off the .5 sec ability delay, correct?

Oh do tell where to find this little extremly helpful option. I have noticed that the .5 Delay is hardly noticable on an X2 6000+ with GeForce 8800GT but on an X6 with a GTX 460 it stares you in the face.

You know it is really early to tell how TOR s going to shape up as a mmo over all when the amount of people that have max level started raiding and crafting on the market could fit into a bus terminal in Kentucky.

I know there are 50's on my server but they are busy maxing crafting waiting on the rest of us to get to max level so we can go kill EV.

No I didn't read the whole thread, but my friend made a very good (and to me very accurate) observation about WoW while we were enjoying our PvP in TOR the other day.

WoW isn't really much more of a social network anymore. People have all of their friends playing in it or that they have met in it. The game has been out for a long time and it can harbor those types of relationships. The guild I'm in now was together in DAOC and has had ups and downs in the following years, but our guild is currently 100 characters strong in SWTOR (at least 50 different accounts). Most of us became friends and have even had the chance to meet each other in person ... THAT is what WoW has become ... not so much a gaming experience, but a chance to more social. I saw it even in the raiding guild I joined before I stopped not long after cataclysm. The game itself became rather stagnant and if you didn't do end game raiding then you were left out of a lot of stuff.

I agree I haven't seen end game in TOR yet, but I'm enjoying the story. I have 2 SI's and 1 SW so I do spacebar alot of content on my lower toons since the 'additional' quests are pretty much the same. That is my option and I'm trying to get caught up .. otherwise I'd probably still listen to the story and voice over as well.

I enjoy TOR, but my biggest reason might be because I'm more of a Star Wars fanboy than a Warcraft fanboy.

Why do people feel the need to append if they have played wow or not, to their opinions ?

Yeah it's like posting a review of, say, Moby Dick or Ulysses and saying before you read all of Joan Collins books...... Maybe they want to warn us that the review will filled with nonsense and generalizations?

Oh do tell where to find this little extremly helpful option. I have noticed that the .5 Delay is hardly noticable on an X2 6000+ with GeForce 8800GT but on an X6 with a GTX 460 it stares you in the face.

I am at work but it is in the options of the game. You can set it to 0, 0.5, 1.0. I set mine to 0 and it seems a lot better.

Option, I think in general or interface, sorry at work right now

The talent overhaul seems alright, potentially good but too early to say. Or so I say.

If people go into withdrawal when the expansion hits then they can always use SWTOR's system for the weaning process, I guess.

Have the changes arrived already? I haven't actually tried them.

No from my understanding the new talent trees are being released with panda expac.

I am at work but it is in the options of the game. You can set it to 0, 0.5, 1.0. I set mine to 0 and it seems a lot better.

Shouldn0t it be set to 1 instead of zero? Just saying because the tooltip is "Time you can start queuing another ability before". meaning, if I press say Unload, I can then press another attack one second before Unload is over and it will execute at the right time. Just asking because it's not really clear

I perfectly understand peole who have put years and years in their characters in WoW. I know quite a few of them and they never consider another MMO (not even the big releases). That is their playstyle, they grew very attached to their characters. I will always try new games, because eventually how awesome a game is, I just like something new.

I have had accounts in WoW from release until today, but I played it on and off and the last years the accounts were only open for my children. Not because WoW is a bad game, but just because it couldn't surprise me anymore. At this point SWTOR is still new and refreshing, but I'm quite certain if you ask me in a few years, I will have moved on.

It all has to do what you expect out of a game.

Well, as a reply to the poster who said only 1 of 60 from his WoW guild came over, my experience was a bit different.

Having raided in WoW since launch, our guild basically dissolved after 6+ years as the raid side of the game no longer kept peoples interest.

So far, we've had about 30 of 50 join SWTOR to give it a try. Most are loving it. Having been through the launch of WoW, I'll say this has been worlds better than WoW's launch (which, is expected 7 years later).

As far as content goes, we'll see. We're hopeful endgame here keeps folks engaged. But there is no panic yet. The first three to four months of WoW was endless UBRS runs, followed by the eventual Molten Core, which was all endgame content for close to a year until BWL finally came along. There wasn't tons of endgame to WoW early on either.

Anyway, just an opinion. I'm sure everyone has their own. But loving it so far, and hopeful it will just keep improving and evolving.

It's not. Atleast not in HCs.

And please, we all have seen what happens when they try to make it harder. Or didn't you get the memo of the subscriber loss during Cataclysms "everything must be hard again" theme?

The average guy wants his game to be easy. If he gets stuck he quits.

you know, the two games can't even BE compared. swtor is totally different from wow. its the same with GW and wow. the games dont even have the same setting or art style. only the /dances were.

that being said. Wow is good Swtor is better in my opinion. period.:D

i didnt quit wow actually im just not paying for 2 games at once. IF a year from now swtor sucks maybe i could go back to wow who knows. for now i enjoy swtor over wow.

No from my understanding the new talent trees are being released with panda expac.

If they don't go the route of "Path of Titans", a lot of what's supposed to be in expacs change between when they announce them and when they are released. Still, from what I heard sounded a bit of a dumbing down but honestly I need to read more to make an opinion. Though I stopped caring after wasting 65 euros on Cata CE ....