Expertise might be returning

Lundorff

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want expertise to return. It's not that hard to gear up in pvp now tbh.

You wouldn't understand the pain if you only play your guardian. Getting BiS with one character is annoying enough, but getting it with alts is... meh.

I don't want expertise to return. It's not that hard to gear up in pvp now tbh.

Well, I'm still not full 248 on my main character (marauder). I equate difficulty with pain and grind. The pain and grind made me quit the game for a while, just short of full 248. Now I'm back (sort of), but I'm not likely to stay. Nothing has really changed. I'm not motivated at all to finish getting full 248. I almost convinced myself to run a warzone last night. I ended up reading a book instead.

So, from my perspective, I geared more characters in 4.x than I did in 5.x. I can't recall exactly how many full 208 characters I had, but it was around ten. Ten vs not quite one. To me, this is totally unacceptable.

I don't really give a rip about expertise or no expertise, one gear set vs multiple gear sets. What I really care about is the grind. I also really appreciated the fact that we used to be able to min/max our character however we wanted by purchasing cheap mods and enhancements from a vendor. That got tossed out the window with 5.x, without explanation. Now it feels like we pretty much have to take a cookie cutter stat allocation and we have to like it, or else.

Edited by teclado

i can't believe there is people here who are actually defending THIS gearing system for pvp. can i get a hyperlul in chat pls. in 4.0 you could gear in days, fully gear out alts whenever you wanted to, it was a simple/easy to understand system and you could buy mods/enhancements to min/max. it was by far the best system for gearing for pvp; this current system doesn't even compare in the slightest ?!?!?!?! WAKE UP PEOPLE.

this system is trash

the only difference there is between this system and 4.0 system which makes it slightly beneficial is it allows everyone to use one gear set for both pve and pvp BUT BY DOING SO pvpers are roped into the SAME gear progression as pvers. this is absurd. that's why things need to change. if they separate gear and just make it as accessible as it was in 4.0 everyone would benefit.

Edited by kissingaiur

i can't believe there is people here who are actually defending THIS gearing system for pvp. can i get a hyperlul in chat pls. in 4.0 you could gear in days, fully gear out alts whenever you wanted to, it was a simple/easy to understand system and you could buy mods/enhancements to min/max. it was by far the best system for gearing for pvp; this current system doesn't even compare in the slightest ?!?!?!?! WAKE UP PEOPLE.

this system is trash

the only difference there is between this system and 4.0 system which makes it slightly beneficial is it allows everyone to use one gear set for both pve and pvp BUT BY DOING SO pvpers are roped into the SAME gear progression as pvers. this is absurd. that's why things need to change. if they separate gear and just make it as accessible as it was in 4.0 everyone would benefit.

+1000000 Agree.

Never have I agreed so strongly with one of your posts

+1000000 Agree.

Never have I agreed so strongly with one of your posts

I agree with you guys. I am starting to explore other classes in PVP, and the 4.0 system would be fantastic. (My sincerest apologies to anyone who has grouped with my scoundrel. It's not intentional - it's incompetence.) The biggest concern I have is: they will re-introduce expertise so they can separate PVE and PVP combat balancing, but keep a 4-tier gearing system that takes just as long to grind as what we have now. I can't think of one reason why they wouldn't do that. Every adjustment they have made to a major system over the past 18 months has been tuned to massively increase grind. Why would this be any different?

... but keep a 4-tier gearing system that takes just as long to grind as what we have now. I can't think of one reason why they wouldn't do that. Every adjustment they have made to a major system over the past 18 months has been tuned to massively increase grind. Why would this be any different?

At that point I would permanently leave the game and never return.

this system is trash

You are so wrong on multiple levels...

Nobody wants to grind 2 sets of gear and please do forget 4.0. It's in the past and it ain't coming back..

With this gearing system which is much more easier than it was at 5.0 launch has made more people PVP than ever before.

STOP thinking in PVP players and progression players. it's just PLAYERS. and they will not make gear so accessible if your gearing fantasy from 4.0 would return.

There was absolutely no reason why we needed expertise and 2 sets of gear. Now everyone can play every content with only 1 set of gear.

You are so wrong on multiple levels...

Nobody wants to grind 2 sets of gear and please do forget 4.0. It's in the past and it ain't coming back..

With this gearing system which is much more easier than it was at 5.0 launch has made more people PVP than ever before.

STOP thinking in PVP players and progression players. it's just PLAYERS. and they will not make gear so accessible if your gearing fantasy from 4.0 would return.

There was absolutely no reason why we needed expertise and 2 sets of gear. Now everyone can play every content with only 1 set of gear.

??????????????????????????????????????

What.

Yes let’s all have the same gear pointless rng progression as pvers cuz you personally don’t want to have 2 sets of gear. The point of expertise was so pvpers didn’t have to have a massive gear grind BECAUSE GEAR IS SECONDARLY IN PVP. Forcing us in the same platform is POINTLESS and it makes absolutely no sense. Rng crates are cancer, not being able to min/max easily is cancer, not being able to quickly gear alts is cancer. I still repeat I don’t understand on any level why players would support such a clearly ****** system. Pvp is not about grinding out gear like pvp it’s about getting gear quickly and playing.

4.0 had the most accessibility for a player when it came to gearing. The ONLY downside is you had to switch gear other than that you got gear faster, you only had to grind out 2 sets (vs getting how many now? 3+, plus you get purples and blues/greens) you didn’t have to deal with getting 90% trash in crates begging for an upgrade and on top of this you could min/max by buying pieces you were missing. ?????????

This system is a failure. I’m highly questioning your sanity.

Edited by kissingaiur

minor buffs based on valor rank would be easier than whole new gear grind.

But there are so many other problems with PVP ATM, that I seriously doubt that they would spend months revamping a system that they changed so drastically not so long ago.

They wanted a 1-gear-set-for-all. - Which I think is where it will stay.

2 sets of gear for PVE and PvP was mostly to keep people subbing longer at the start. - That model is very outdated now.

more likely to add another tier of CMD rank and gear, new augments or evel a level increase before Expertise would return.

Shame, coz I think expertise was reasonably good. - Though the gap between top PvP and PvE gear at the time was rather inexplicable.

??????????????????????????????????????

What.

Yes let’s all have the same gear pointless rng progression as pvers cuz you personally don’t want to have 2 sets of gear. The point of expertise was so pvpers didn’t have to have a massive gear grind BECAUSE GEAR IS SECONDARLY IN PVP. Forcing us in the same platform is POINTLESS and it makes absolutely no sense. Rng crates are cancer, not being able to min/max easily is cancer, not being able to quickly gear alts is cancer. I still repeat I don’t understand on any level why players would support such a clearly ****** system. Pvp is not about grinding out gear like pvp it’s about getting gear quickly and playing.

4.0 had the most accessibility for a player when it came to gearing. The ONLY downside is you had to switch gear other than that you got gear faster, you only had to grind out 2 sets (vs getting how many now? 3+, plus you get purples and blues/greens) you didn’t have to deal with getting 90% trash in crates begging for an upgrade and on top of this you could min/max by buying pieces you were missing. ?????????

This system is a failure. I’m highly questioning your sanity.

This is a system that is improving and needs to improve further...

RNG crates ? I don't think you gear up with crates unless you are really clueless. UC's are easy to make and you are wrong about 4.0 as well. You couldn't gear up as fast as you imply. I can assure you that a lot of pvp-ers have 40k + UC's and can gear up alts easily now that they are legacy wide. ;)

this system was terrible 1 year ago, but now it's much more friendlier for gearing. It's not perfect, but it improved a lot and still can be improved further.

You should learn to stop this dogmatic view of PVP. You want to keep out PVE players from PVP.. This is a toxic mentality that elitist people have but they fail to understand that if we want people in PVP we have to make it easily accessible(that includes ranked too).

this game doesn't have the population it had in 4.0. keep that in mind.

This is a system that is improving and needs to improve further...

RNG crates ? I don't think you gear up with crates unless you are really clueless. UC's are easy to make and you are wrong about 4.0 as well. You couldn't gear up as fast as you imply. I can assure you that a lot of pvp-ers have 40k + UC's and can gear up alts easily now that they are legacy wide. ;)

this system was terrible 1 year ago, but now it's much more friendlier for gearing. It's not perfect, but it improved a lot and still can be improved further.

You should learn to stop this dogmatic view of PVP. You want to keep out PVE players from PVP.. This is a toxic mentality that elitist people have but they fail to understand that if we want people in PVP we have to make it easily accessible(that includes ranked too).

Having pvers get a pvp set does not “keep them out”. That is a massive misconception. In 4.0 it would take you literally days to gear and get the full min/max. I am not even joking. People who didn’t pvp didn’t get the gear, people who wanted to try got the gear. It was easy and simple.

You still need open up crates to get coms to get gear? So yeah you do need to gear from crates.

4.0 gearing consisted of pvping to get coms to buy t1 then upgrading it to t2. You could easily then min/max with enhancement mod vendor.

5.0 gearing consists of you getting 2 different sets of coms which require you to open crates. Then going from t1 to t4 progression of gear by buying tokens to trade for gear over and over and over again. This was so absurd to pvpers because it means that you had to grind out 4 sets of gear and after that even more because you couldn’t min/max. The bolstering for 242 is literally just a bandaid to fix their ****** gearing system because it still doesn’t remove the fact that you still have to grind out 4 sets of gear.

It’s a trash system with 30 bandaids to make it bareable and only one merit while throwing out every other benefit we had before.

Edited by kissingaiur

...you are wrong about 4.0 as well. You couldn't gear up as fast as you imply.

this system was terrible 1 year ago, but now it's much more friendlier for gearing.

These statements are so backwards that I'm convinced you were not around for 4.x or you're just trolling. Keep in mind, we're on the PVP forums, so presumably we are talking about PVP gearing. Do ya really believe that PVP gearing is much friendlier now? Really?

Gee, I wonder why?

RNG crates ? I don't think you gear up with crates unless you are really clueless.

I been away from the game for over a year, I'd like to know how I am supposed to gear up without using crates? I also prefer PVPing to gear up, but if there's a faster way to gear up, do tell. I am asking because I want to know.

Having pvers get a pvp set does not “keep them out”. That is a massive misconception. In 4.0 it would take you literally days to gear and get the full min/max. I am not even joking. People who didn’t pvp didn’t get the gear, people who wanted to try got the gear. It was easy and simple.

You still need open up crates to get coms to get gear? So yeah you do need to gear from crates.

4.0 gearing consisted of pvping to get coms to buy t1 then upgrading it to t2. You could easily then min/max with enhancement mod vendor.

5.0 gearing consists of you getting 2 different sets of coms which require you to open crates. Then going from t1 to t4 progression of gear by buying tokens to trade for gear over and over and over again. This was so absurd to pvpers because it means that you had to grind out 4 sets of gear and after that even more because you couldn’t min/max. The bolstering for 242 is literally just a bandaid to fix their ****** gearing system because it still doesn’t remove the fact that you still have to grind out 4 sets of gear.

It’s a trash system with 30 bandaids to make it bareable and only one merit while throwing out every other benefit we had before.

Hottie,

1. You say how easy it was to gear up in the late expertise era, but there's no indication whatsoever, other than wishful thinking and "it was like that before and BioWare wouldn't make it worse" that the returning expertise gear would be cheap, and gearing to full would sill need the same amount of effort it required earlier.
  2. The mod vendor was nice and made getting BiS a lot easier, but having a separate mod vendor is not impossible in the current system either. There's also no guarantee that if expertise gear returned it would also mean the return of the mod vendor too.
  3. The fact that having two sets of gear meant having to carry two sets around was a waste of inventory space, meant an overall higher amount of grinding required to be geared for every aspect of the game and it was a source of constant annoyance having to swap them around. You might not care, but not everyone does PvP exclusively.
  4. This PvP'er elitism "PvP'ers need quick and easy gearing because we're PvP'ers and we cannot be bothered with the grind, leave it to the PvE losers" has been explicitly refuted by BioWare when they said they want gear progression. You are free to think PvP'ers are above and beyond everyone else and deserve special treatment because they're PvP'ers, but BioWare does not think so.
  5. You are totally ignoring the 30-40 million credit price associated with augmenting a set of gear. Asking to double that on every single alt is a reason that will alone deter people from wanting two sets of gear. Unless, of course, they only do one kind of content.
  6. As for the "casuals" that want to dabble in PvP the difference between bolster and BiS now is notably less than it was between someone queuing in experise and PvE gears.
  7. Nobody in their right mind gears from crates. The fact that disassembled gear now provides UCs only make gearing faster, but crates are not, and never been a primary method of gearing.

I been away from the game for over a year, I'd like to know how I am supposed to gear up without using crates? I also prefer PVPing to gear up, but if there's a faster way to gear up, do tell. I am asking because I want to know.

UCs and/or raid drops.

and you are wrong about 4.0 as well. You couldn't gear up as fast as you imply. I can assure you that a lot of pvp-ers have 40k + UC's and can gear up alts easily now that they are legacy wide

David, that statement is so wrong and if you had been a pvper back in 4.0, you would understand what we are all trying to say. Gearing was exceptionally fast if you just did some pvp before you reached lvl 65. And even if you didn’t, the most casual pvpers game could at the very worst, get fully geared in less than a month.

1. You could earn pvp Comms from doing any pvp WZ. It didn’t matter is you were in lowbies, Mids, end game or ranked. You could play pvp from lvl 10 to lvl 65 and when you got there you had enough Comms to buy ranked gear as soon as you hit lvl 65.

2. If you didn’t start to pvp till lvl 65, you still earned enough Comms to completely gear an alt in reg pvp gear (204) within 20 hours of play.

3. With in 2-3 weeks, depending on how many hours you played, you could be fully decked out in 208 gear.

4. They implanted a token system that you could buy with your pvp Comms to move them between Alts. This was very simple to do and it allowed you to gear any Alts as soon as they reached lvl 65.

Bolster worked a bit differently with expertise. If you made sure you only had on 190 pve gear while you were getting your pvp stuff, you basically got bolstered to 204, with full expertise, but without set bonuses.

Where people got into trouble is they would wear their epic pve gear into matches and it wouldn’t bolster any expertise stats onto it because it was way too high.

Bioware should have explained this to people and they didn’t. If they did, the whole pvp gearing vs pve issues people are bringing up wouldn’t have even been a problem.

God, half the pvpers were even telling these pve players to just wear 190 pve gear till they got some pvp stuff. BUT NO, do you think you could get them to listen? Even today I see idiots with no crystals in weapons or running empty armor shells and they tell you the f-off when you try to help them.

People are just dumb and need the simplest solutions so they dont have to think, which is what CXP was supposed to do. But it was so bad they had to tinker with it all last year and it’s still 100x worse than the old pvp gearing system. Not only that, but it’s now turned into one of the most convoluted gearing systems this game has ever had.

Pvp gearing in 4.x was about as perfect as you could get. It took them 5 years to perfect it and then destroyed it 3 months later. For those of you who weren’t here in the early days of pvp, Bioware already tried RNG gearing and it was a massive failure which they admitted and changed the gearing system till it developed into the near perfect system we had in 4.x.

It’s like those fools who thought RNG would work this time didn’t even know the history of their own game and how RNG back then was a massive failure :rolleyes:

FYI, Ive only pvp’d about 20-40 hours a week for 6 years and I do not have 40+k in UCs. I’ve not even got one Alt fully decked out in 248 with 236 Augments because I’m the most unlucky person when it comes to RNG Bull ****.

At least when we had Comms that we could obtain as we lvld in pvp, we knew we could be geared by the time we reached lvl 65.

Lastly, the gear gap now in pvp is much larger than it used to be when we had pvp gear.

1. 190 pve gear Bolstered to just under 204 pvp gear and was given full expertise and if some people had listened on how it worked, there never would have been any gearing problems in pvp

2. 204 reg gear had set bonuse and full expertise

3. 208 was ranked gear with set bonus and full expertise.

4. The gear gap between 190 to 204 was nearly unnoticeable. The gap between 204 to 208 was negligible.

5. You could wear Augments in any gear and it would not affect your bolstered stats.

Now we have a system where Bolster is set at 242. But the highest gear is 248. Which is a much bigger gap than we had between 204 and 208 pvp gear.

You also can’t wear Augments on gear below 242 because it reduces your bolstered stats. So only people in the higher gear can have Augments, which makes the gap even bigger.

And if you look at Hotties testing last year, the 230 gear bolsters better than 234 gear, 236 seems to bolster better than 240 gear. So it’s pointless even equipping any gear below 242 that isn’t 230 or 236. (I believe that’s right, Hottie can correct me if I’m wrong on that)

The misconception that people have about expertise is because they don’t know how it worked or why it was even there.

David, it’s obvious you weren’t a big pvper or maybe never understood the gearing system back in 4.x and beyond.

everything about gearing in 5.0 gives me cancer

in 4.0 I had a bis gear set for like 15+ specs

now I have quite literally zero bis gears sets, not a single toon

5.0 gearing is for RPing bots who play like 2 specs and actually enjoy right-click, left-clicking in gambling simulator pack opening windows

snip

1. You say how easy it was to gear up in the late expertise era, but there's no indication whatsoever, other than wishful thinking and "it was like that before and BioWare wouldn't make it worse" that the returning expertise gear would be cheap, and gearing to full would sill need the same amount of effort it required earlier.

I find this extreme hard to believe someone who played in 4.0 would have said this. Very hard to believe. I played group ranked and whenever we wanted to pull in someone to play ranked, they could min/max in a week maybe even less. The accessibility in how quickly and easily you got the gear and min/max in pvp was vastly superior to what we have now.

2. The mod vendor was nice and made getting BiS a lot easier, but having a separate mod vendor is not impossible in the current system either. There's also no guarantee that if expertise gear returned it would also mean the return of the mod vendor too.

Why wouldn't they? The only reason they most likely don't have it is because it would be faster to gear with buying the single enhancements/mods then buying a token and turning into gear.

No,no they can't do that because pvers might gear too fast for pve content so everyone is forced to do this.

3. The fact that having two sets of gear meant having to carry two sets around was a waste of inventory space, meant an overall higher amount of grinding required to be geared for every aspect of the game and it was a source of constant annoyance having to swap them around. You might not care, but not everyone does PvP exclusively.

Who hell cares about inventory space. LOL sorry dude you can't have fast pace gearing for pvp cuz this guy might have less inventory space, bummer kid. Haha, sorry again but had to laugh at that one. Me being successful in PvP and gearing an easy i would gladly give half my inventory space for this.

4. This PvP'er elitism "PvP'ers need quick and easy gearing because we're PvP'ers and we cannot be bothered with the grind, leave it to the PvE losers" has been explicitly refuted by BioWare when they said they want gear progression. You are free to think PvP'ers are above and beyond everyone else and deserve special treatment because they're PvP'ers, but BioWare does not think so.

How does wanting pvp to not be a gear grind have to do with pvp elitism? I want players to get pvp gear fast and min/max fast. ???????? If it was up to me THERE WOULDN'T BE A GEAR PROGRESSION FOR PVP IN THE FIRST PLACE. If you knew me, you would know I give 2 ***** about gear, all I want is pvp to be reduced to skill vs. skill. This is impossible with an endless pve-based grind.

5. You are totally ignoring the 30-40 million credit price associated with augmenting a set of gear. Asking to double that on every single alt is a reason that will alone deter people from wanting two sets of gear. Unless, of course, they only do one kind of content.

Augments are cheap, you can buy full purple augs for like 1-2 mil easily. The new augments literally add like 50 more dps to players; if players have the money spend it if you want that kind of "advantage". As a pvper i have literally nothing to spend my money on. Augments are the only real money sink in this game other than cosmedic crap.

6. As for the "casuals" that want to dabble in PvP the difference between bolster and BiS now is notably less than it was between someone queuing in experise and PvE gears.

This system only favors pvers because its a pve based gear progression; it has to be slow. The system before favored both. If you wanted to do that do pvp content you learned how to pvp, got the gear and played. If you wanted to learn how to pve, you pved, got gear and played. There is NOTHING wrong with this system.

7. Nobody in their right mind gears from crates. The fact that disassembled gear now provides UCs only make gearing faster, but crates are not, and never been a primary method of gearing.

Thats what I am saying you still need to open fing crates to dismantle all your crap to get coms to use to get gear. If you read that you would understand that is the point to that statement.

Edited by kissingaiur

I find this extreme hard to believe someone who played in 4.0 would have said this. Very hard to believe. I played group ranked and whenever we wanted to pull in someone to play ranked, they could min/max in a week maybe even less. The accessibility in how quickly and easily you got the gear and min/max in pvp was vastly superior to what we have now.

Switch off write-only and stop chasing your ghosts, reply to what I said.

Why wouldn't they? The only reason they most likely don't have it is because it would be faster to gear with buying the single enhancements/mods then buying a token and turning into gear.

Why would they? Do you not understand they want a gear grind for everyone?

Who hell cares about inventory space. LOL sorry dude you can't have fast pace gearing for pvp cuz this guy might have less inventory space, bummer kid. Haha, sorry again but had to laugh at that one. Me being successful in PvP and gearing an easy i would gladly give half my inventory space for this.

LOL dudette i lauged hard cuz i laughed hard cuz #inventoryspacematters. And to reply in style, who cares about you not caring?

How does wanting pvp to not be a gear grind have to do with pvp elitism? I want players to get pvp gear fast and min/max fast. ???????? If it was up to me THERE WOULDN'T BE A GEAR PROGRESSION FOR PVP IN THE FIRST PLACE. If you knew me, you would know I give 2 ***** about gear, all I want is pvp to be reduced to skill vs. skill. This is impossible with an endless pve-based grind.

Again, switch off write-only. Elitism is not that you want equal footing in PvP, it's that you think PvP'ers should be exempt from grinding, because that's for the PvE noobs and cool kids play PvP.

Augments are cheap, you can buy full purple augs for like 1-2 mil easily. The new augments literally add like 50 more dps to players; if players have the money spend it if you want that kind of "advantage". As a pvper i have literally nothing to spend my money on. Augments are the only real money sink in this game other than cosmedic crap.

You were going on about min/maxing gear and gearing in BiS and now you're telling me I can buy purple crap for cheap?

This system only favors pvers because its a pve based gear progression; it has to be slow. The system before favored both. If you wanted to do that do pvp content you learned how to pvp, got the gear and played. If you wanted to learn how to pve, you pved, got gear and played. There is NOTHING wrong with this system.

What the hell is PvE progression? And what makes this one a PvE based progression, considering you don't have to take a single step into PvE? And why does a PvE based progression has to be slow? And why does a non-PvE based progression need to be fast? And how does all this change the fact that getting a full PvE + PvP set was still more work?

Thats what I am saying you still need to open fing crates to dismantle all your crap to get coms to use to get gear. If you read that you would understand that is the point to that statement.

Is that your problem? That you have to click a crate every 2-3 matches? How does this compare in LOLness to losing 14 inventory spaces to the extra set of gear?

Edited by Schoock

i still can't get over that you came in here with the argument that things shouldn't change because your inventory will suffer. I'll come back when i'm not lost for words.

That's a minor point. Just answer this one and I'll be going:

Let's say Bioware reintroduces gear with expertise. Why do you think that this new gear would be sold for cheap and only had 2 tiers, like the old one?

Edited by Schoock