The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

For the record, RNG crates are not exciting™!

Lhancelot

Just feel like expressing myself.

Been grinding CXP for over a week now and seeing that the only gear that really matters is the T4 stuff, there's nothing exciting at all about anything that drops in these lower tier crates.

On a side note, PVP has been fun despite the boring and tedious stupid gear grind.

It really boggles my mind how anyone came to the conclusion this was a better gearing system compared to the prior one.

What would be exciting is if there was some rare chance a higher tier piece of equipment would drop in lower tier boxes. As it stands now, you already know what to expect in the lower tiers; crappy gear that won't help you in the WZs at all and lots of disintegrating. Really exciting...

Ahhh. Feel better now. TY.

I’ve been trying to get another 4 toons from tier 1 to tier 4.

I’m up to 210 since 5.8 on one toon and have only just got 1 yellow 236 belt.

Prior to 5.8, I was nearly full decked out in 236 yellow gear by 150.

I asked Musco it they’ve chnaged anything and he said no. But I my personal experience on 4 different toons says there is something different .

Prior to 5.8, I hardly ever saw any 234 purple gear. Now it drops constantly and no 236 yellow gear drops. The problem is 234 gear is no better than 230 gear in pvp. So I’m destroying everything that drops.

The drop rate might not have changed (according to Eric), but what actually drops has. It seems 234 is now dropping in place of 236.

At this rate I’ll be 300 before I get even half of a full 236 set. I shudder to think how hard it will be to get 248 gear. I’m already regretting resubbing last week.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I asked Musco it they’ve chnaged anything and he said no. But I my personal experience on 4 different toons says there is something different .

Prior to 5.8, I hardly ever saw any 234 purple gear. Now it drops constantly and no 236 yellow gear drops. The problem is 234 gear is no better than 230 gear in pvp. So I’m destroying everything that drops.

The drop rate might not have changed (according to Eric), but what actually drops has. It seems 234 is now dropping in place of 236.

At this rate I’ll be 300 before I get even half of a full 236 set. I shudder to think how hard it will be to get 248 gear. I’m already regretting resubbing last week.

Yeah, I am going to disintegrate everything again.

I stuck some purple 234s on and the gain is so negligible I don't see a point. I will run my 208s and just say F it.

I only have issues when I get focused by decent jugg/mara/ops/PTs as it should be so really no big deal. It just sucks to have absolutely nothing worth looking forward to for 200 more CXP levels.

CXP sucks. It's not exciting. Not one bit.

Edited by Lhancelot

Yeah, I am going to disintegrate everything again.

I stuck some purple 234s on and the gain is so negligible I don't see a point. I will run my 208s and just say F it.

I only have issues when I get focused by decent jugg/mara/ops/PTs as it should be so really no big deal. It just sucks to have absolutely nothing worth looking forward to for 200 more CXP levels.

CXP sucks. It's not exciting. Not one bit.

Here is a trick you can do ;) Use your unassembled components to buy 236 gear. It has a 2 hour refund time. Stay near the vendors while you queue so you don’t get distracted and forget to trade the gear back before the timer runs out. Sell the gear back to the vendor, take the unassembled parts back to the second vendor, sell them and then buy them back, go to the other vendor and buy the gear again. Rinse and repeat every 2 hours. Don’t mess up or it becomes bound :rolleyes:

Stupid me forgot to sell back 2 pieces today and they became bound and then the next crate that dropped had the belt that I just bound to myself. :mad: It’s one of the reasons I don’t usually buy the gear and keep it because as soon as I do, they drop from a crate.

I never used to bother doing this because you could always get 236 gear fairly fast and reliable. Now it’s not dropping for me and I’m not going to wait till CXP 300 to get a full set of 236 gear.

Here is a trick you can do ;) Use your unassembled components to buy 236 gear. It has a 2 hour refund time. Stay near the vendors while you queue so you don’t get distracted and forget to trade the gear back before the timer runs out. Sell the gear back to the vendor, take the unassembled parts back to the second vendor, sell them and then buy them back, go to the other vendor and buy the gear again. Rinse and repeat every 2 hours. Don’t mess up or it becomes bound :rolleyes:

Stupid me forgot to sell back 2 pieces today and they became bound and then the next crate that dropped had the belt that I just bound to myself. :mad: It’s one of the reasons I don’t usually buy the gear and keep it because as soon as I do, they drop from a crate.

I never used to bother doing this because you could always get 236 gear fairly fast and reliable. Now it’s not dropping for me and I’m not going to wait till CXP 300 to get a full set of 236 gear.

ha ok, thanks for the tip.

EA and their ongoing research on “How to make an ultimate irresistible fun to open Lootbox!” -_-

Here is my feedback: I absolutely detest the need to open each crate one by one. I hate this one second delay before crate is open. Is supposed to get my heart racing? Yawn. The small stash do not highlight the "treasures" player just received, it only makes it longer and prolonging it makes it worse. And it do not matter if I killed a NiM boss or half-sleepwalked through planetary weekly – the results are the same. I was promised exiting experience! And say what you will, but it is a slot machine. No, calling it a slot machine is an insult to the honest slot machines! Gah.

I feel better now too. :D

Edited by RandomName_Ru

Opens box.

1 companion gift

1 scraps OR reputation item, probably for a rep I've already maxed. These never seem to be for the old, Packs-Only reps.

1 cosmetic shell

1 cruddy blue piece of gear (or about 1/3 of the time, get a cruddy purple piece of gear)

5 command points.

There is no excitement, because it's all the same. It's all junk. If there was even a 5% chance that the cruddy destroy-it piece of gear was a yellow upgradeable, or heck, even if it were just the Unassembled Belt/Helmet/Whatever that we still had to redeem, it would be great. But there's not. I have not seen anything other than blues and purples in my past 150 boxes.

I must be missing something. I'm at Rank 210, most of my gear is rating 240, I also have one 238 gloves and one 242 yellow belt. Post Rank I purchases, I used the unassembled vendor to buy two things, one thing each at Rank II and Rank III, and with one, the mainhand weapon, I got it from a crate a few hours later anyway. I have one char at Rank 300 that reached it prior to 5.8, and didn't notice any difference between RNG drops before or after.

Maybe you're referring to some other, special kind of armor that I've never seen, one that doesn't follow the Eternal Commander/Iokath/Gemini progression. Or maybe you're just unlucky. Or hey, maybe since you're referring to an armor rating that would be found in Rank II and you're currently in Rank III, your memory about what you get from the crates isn't all that reliable.

With both characters, by the time I reach each new tier, I have most of the full yellow set, and the majority of that comes from drops.

Edited by Ardrossan

I must be missing something. I'm at Rank 210, most of my gear is rating 240, I also have one 238 gloves and one 242 yellow belt. Post Rank I purchases, I used the unassembled vendor to buy two things, one thing each at Rank II and Rank III, and with one, the mainhand weapon, I got it from a crate a few hours later anyway. I have one char at Rank 300 that reached it prior to 5.8, and didn't notice any difference between RNG drops before or after.

Maybe you're referring to some other, special kind of armor that I've never seen, one that doesn't follow the Eternal Commander/Iokath/Gemini progression. Or maybe you're just unlucky. Or hey, maybe since you're referring to an armor rating that would be found in Rank II and you're currently in Rank III, your memory about what you get from the crates isn't all that reliable.

With both characters, by the time I reach each new tier, I have most of the full yellow set, and the majority of that comes from drops.

The important question is did you find it exciting™?

They DEFINITELY have changed the gear drops over the time.

My main character upon reaching rank 300 had majority of 248 items, except legs, arms and i guess, head pieces those were still 242. It was about path 5.5 or so.

Then my Veng Jugg, reached 300 as well, but the drops never popped anything more than 242.

Then the rest followed and I have never received ANY 248 piece of anything, 242s vere very random, if not scarce.

So my Sentinel on rank 300 has a mixture of 240-ies and 242. Vanquard tank, Jugg tank and Conceal Operative are the same.

Although I was of course able to fill up my Deception Sin and Hatred Sin with 246/248/242 items (leftovers from main Shadow) the system does not drop 248-s anymore.

On rank 300 it's not even worth continuing grinding because the drops are abysmal.

So, there ARE changes to gear drops for sure.

Edited by Przemo_No

I'm not going to lie I get some sort of sick enjoyment out of opening loot crates. I think drop rates on the gold pieces and chance cubes (I've gotten exactly one of these) in particular could be better though. I have 4 characters at rank 300 and all in full 248 now and all I really do is PvP and some daily areas. Sometimes I'll do an SM operation but not often.

I've gotten luckier drops on some characters than others. My commando got quite a few gold pieces from crates so I didn't have to spend as many unassembled components, but my sorcerer barely got any and I had to use a lot of them to upgrade some pieces all the way up from T1. So RNG can make it take a bit longer but remember the loot crates aren't the main way to gear up. You gear up through operations or components from PvP. I usually just save all my components up on one character until I get to 300 and then upgrade what I need to once I'm there. So I do get excited when I get 236/242/248 drops.

You really shouldn't approach CXP as something to grind in my opinion, just something you work towards by doing stuff you enjoy. There's really no race since bolster helps you do anything but the hardest content. I still do well in warzones and SM ops in just 230 gear. So yeah I don't know I wouldn't mind some adjustments to what drops in the crates but I actually kind of like them. The companion gifts, rep items, crafting mats, and cxp boosts make them decent even if the gear drops aren't always great.

Prior to 5.8 I had many Alts that had armor at 240-244 and they weren’t even rank 150. Since 5.8, nothing is dropping for me on another 4 Alts I’m lvling.

Honestly, there is something wrong or has been chnaged even if Musco was told it hasn’t.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I use legacy gear whenever I can to gear alts using the same gear types. Then I just put all the Command Crates in my cargo hold and wait until after 300 to open them all. I pretty much disintegrate all gear, but I keep some legendary stuff so I can upgrade at the tier vendors. On the character I got to 300 this weekend, I opened up all the T1, T2, and T3 crates I had and I had 6 of the 7 T2, legendary BiS armor pieces and a couple more duplicates, I disintegrated. I also rolled a couple legendary implants and relics. When I opened the T3 crates, I got the 242 mainhand and offhand in the first 7 or 8 crates. I didn't do as well with the armor as I did in T2 but still got more T3 legendary earpieces / relics / implants than I needed to save for trading (with the T4 vendor) .

I saw your thread a few days ago and your comment here. I can honestly say my command crate opening experience has been as consistent as RNG can possibly be. Sometimes you have abnormal stretches of bad luck and sometimes the opposite. You have to have both extremes to have a middle or average.

I personally like opening as many as I can at one time so I can judge the whole lot better (and so I don't have to keep lower tier stuff).

Prior to 5.8 I had many Alts that had armor at 240-244 and they weren’t even rank 150. Since 5.8, nothing is dropping for me on another 4 Alts I’m lvling.

Honestly, there is something wrong or has been chnaged even if Musco was told it hasn’t.

The only way to get 244s is from T4 crates. So you would have needed to get them on a T4 character and move them with legacy gear. 240s only come from T3, so same thing. You can't get T3 until rank 180 or T4 until 300.

The only way to get 244s is from T4 crates. So you would have needed to get them on a T4 character and move them with legacy gear. 240s only come from T3, so same thing. You can't get T3 until rank 180 or T4 until 300.

this is correct, 240-244 do not drop on 150 command rank

Edited by commanderwar

I’ve got a few 244 items before hitting CXP 300. I’ve even got 248 enhancements and 1 light sabre hilt.

Say, that's a good idea.

Only problem I can see is that by moving the mods, you don't get the set bonus. But I'm unsure if the set bonus is actually worth it compared to the higher stats, particularly if you're only able to move the mods for a couple pieces of armor, not the whole set. Still, I could move mods in legacy gear and then stick them in mainhand weapon and offhand, without it affecting the set bonus.

Thanks, that will really help my next alt!

I’ve got a few 244 items before hitting CXP 300. I’ve even got 248 enhancements and 1 light sabre hilt.

Stuff like mods, enhancements, armoring, hilts and barrels will occasionally drop. When they do, they will be rated for the next tier (except for T4 still drops T4). In other words, T2 crates will drop 240 and 242 mods, enhancements, etc... while T3 will drop 246 and 248. But the BiS gear, weapons / offhands, relics, earpieces, and implants only drops at the actual tier level range (T1 max 230) (T2 max 236) (T3 max 242) and (T4 max 248).

All items rated at 244 are exclusive to T4 and require command level 300.

Say, that's a good idea.

Only problem I can see is that by moving the mods, you don't get the set bonus. But I'm unsure if the set bonus is actually worth it compared to the higher stats, particularly if you're only able to move the mods for a couple pieces of armor, not the whole set. Still, I could move mods in legacy gear and then stick them in mainhand weapon and offhand, without it affecting the set bonus.

Thanks, that will really help my next alt!

The set bonus of the item moves with the armoring if you extract that. The armoring will be bound to the type it was removed from (Boots require boots, gloves require gloves, etc...) Even after removing the armoring, mod and enhancements (or whatever), if it's a legendary item, you can still use the empty shell to upgrade with unassembled components at the tier vendor, Just keep in mind that only legendary things can be upgraded at the tier vendors (you can't upgrade a 246 for a 248, you need the 242 to go to 248) . So just sell those empty purples to a vendor unless you want to keep them for a look.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that gearing in this game has never been exciting, and certainly isn't about to start being exciting now.

When you could earn WZ comms and send them to your alts was the best. - And you could earn enough to kit yourself out in PvP BiS the second you reached max level.

But if you think it's boring opening crates at CMD ranks 1-299, I can assure you that it's even worse at rank 300.

I have 3 chars at rank 300, have opened probably a ~1000 boxes since. Nothing remotely exciting. I have all the gear, have >20K UCs nothing better to show for it. Most stuff just gets disintegrated, except for the companion gifts, and sometimes blue and purple scrap if I can be bothered.

Being rewarded with endless enhancements for Tanks - when I'm rank 300 with 3 dps classes is just insulting.

If I didn't need the inventory room, I'd just stack and hoard the boxes, since they're no use to man nor beast. Certainly not exciting in the least.

It was a message sent loud and clear when CMD ranks became a thing. BioWare spent over a year tinkering with it ( to the almost total exclusion of all else) and it still stinks.

It's like winning a few cents on the lottery when you paid a dollar for the ticket.

When you could earn WZ comms and send them to your alts was the best. - And you could earn enough to kit yourself out in PvP BiS the second you reached max level.

True. I had mixed feelings about that leveling system. It was the main way I got comms, but it was very tiring to do all those WZs and send them off, particularly before 3.0 I guess when we also had comps to look after gearing. At that time I was F2P, so I could only do 5 WZ / toon / week, so I'd do 5 on one, collects comms and mail them, then switch to an alt and do another 5, mail and switch.

Although as I write that I realize it's not that different from what I currently do on toons below 70, except now I just craft everything and run WZs while I wait, and I can do as many WZs as I like. That was a big improvement, as crafting really sucked before that.

Edited by Ardrossan