$40 for a single lightsaber

Hexxim

You're the ignorant one. Along with anyone else that buys CC, as far as I'm concerned. It's a cash grab, plain and simple. It always has been. You never get what you pay for. People buy CC so they can RENT those "shiny" pixels. You don't own anything.

I'm generally a lurker when it comes to the forums, but wow you're an angry person. Why do you care what people spend their money on? Just because you choose to not buy CCs, CM items, or whatnot with your money, does not give you the right to call people names because they spend their money differently than you. It's their money, not yours, so let them spend their money however they see fit.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying even if it's a grind, even if it's all RNG, just add some nice loot to the base game too. It would be cool to think that completing content could give a chance to earn some nice cosmetic gear/decos, even if the chances are slim. And let some of this stuff be bought with in-game currency too - maybe make items bought that way be legacy-bound, or something like that. I.e., just dial down the "icky" factor a smidge is all...

I think a few of the platinum weapons were available in game too. Like Senya's lightsaber. I might be wrong but I seem to remember that. Someone can confirm?

Edited by kodrac

I'm saying even if it's a grind, even if it's all RNG, just add some nice loot to the base game too. It would be cool to think that completing content could give a chance to earn some nice cosmetic gear/decos, even if the chances are slim.

You talk like they don't make cool items available any other way.. as in ... in game. That simply is not true. Events and faction grinds ALL provide access to items unique to them. A good number of players find these things to be "cool" for them... whether you do or not is immaterial.

and let some of this stuff be bought with in-game currency too - maybe make items bought that way be legacy-bound, or something like that. I.e., just dial down the "icky" factor a smidge is all...

I buy all CM items I want... in game.... using credits. So I really am not sure what you point is here, because the studio deliberately designed the CM such that almost all items are freely tradeable/sellable between players in game.

I get it... you want direct vendors. Well.. be careful what you wish for as these usually result in vendors hidden behind grinds and then when you can access them... more grinds for tokens + credits. It's not like they are going to put this particular saber up on a special vendor in game and sell it for 1M credits or less. It simply is not going to happen.

You talk like they don't make cool items available any other way.. as in ... in game. That simply is not true. Events and faction grinds ALL provide access to items unique to them. A good number of players find these things to be "cool" for them... whether you do or not is immaterial.

I buy all CM items I want... in game.... using credits. So I really am not sure what you point is here, because the studio deliberately designed the CM such that almost all items are freely tradeable/sellable between players in game.

I get it... you want direct vendors. Well.. be careful what you wish for as these usually result in vendors hidden behind grinds and then when you can access them... more grinds for tokens + credits. It's not like they are going to put this particular saber up on a special vendor in game and sell it for 1M credits or less. It simply is not going to happen.

Oddly contentious response. I feel like you're trolling me, but I'll bite this time.

I also buy a ton of stuff in-game with credits - sitting on more credits than I could ever meaningfully use - so that's not an issue. But is this really that hard to understand? When CM get added and sold for real-life currency, then get added to the in-game economy, that causes inflation. This is pretty obvious (amongst other, also obvious, factors). And when you or I buy or sell items with our in-game currency, we contribute to that inflation, since (as is obvious), those credits do not leave the game.

If devs make "cool" items available for purchase with in-game credits (and yeah, I know it's "immaterial" what I think of as cool, but since you admitted that you buy "all the CM items" you want in game, you must also think those items are "cool" too), those credits will leave the game and actually help taper inflation. The proverbial "credit sink." Which is why selling it for $1M or less (I'm not sure where you think I even implied this), obviously, makes no sense. They need to charge "premium" in-game currency prices for these items. Also, obvious.

In other words, there is a way for the studio to have the best of many worlds here - it's not zero sum. But I've already said more than I prolly needed to...

I suppose I'm more surprised than anything. Call me naive, but for every individual willing to/able to pay 5500CC for a lightsaber, there must be at least 5 willing/able to pay 1100CC.

We're stuck with the CM and that's fine, but surely it would be more profitable to lower the price and make better use of the microtransaction model. People aren't going to spend 500CC on a reskinned speeder, but many won't think twice about spending it on something like the DHG saber.

I'm not buying it. Had the debate with myself and;

1 - If I log in once per month it's a lot and if I barely play, why the heck do I need a new shiny? I don't.

2 - I have that other lightsaber supercool whatever thing and the lightning mod so, close enough.

3 - It's a bit pricey and I can't be arsed buying CC.

4 - My CCs collected through my sub and key are at 4k and I'm holding on for something better.

What would change my stance and tempt me to buy it after all? A declaration from Bioware that all profits made of this sale and the upcoming ones throughout April will go directly into the development of SWTOR itself, 6.0 and onward. Alas, that'll never happen. :rolleyes:

My money's staying in my pocket (save for my sub though even that is tentative now) until the game starts showing improvement and receives more dedication from its team and company. And no, fancying up the Cartel Market, changing your lotto cubes and flaunting sales is not one of those improvements.

If you want the Dark Honor Guard's Lightsaber, it's 5500 coins or $40, then add on top the unlock cost account wide and you get the idea.

Whoever came up with the pricing, do you honestly believe that $40 for a SINGLE weapon is ok?

Yes, i was very incredibly excited for the ability to purchase individual items on the CM, and i do believe this was a step in the right direction, but that does not offset the price tag you're slapping on things.I usually try to give the benefit of a doubt or even just see things from the other side and while i agree that this is a business and it's about making money, FFS, this is outright greed.

Don't want to pay real money for it spend your credits on the GTN as it'll be on there soon if it's not there now.

40 dollars is stile cheap compare to other mmorpg i have played

gw2 legendary weapons in trade market so 4000 gold

if you convert gems you have with spending real money

to get those 4000 gold its so 500 dollar for 1 weapon

or you can pretty much have a hard time crafting that weapon that can take weeks or months

and the crafting stuff is not cheap eather so you need to grind for a long time

so that 40 dollar for a weapon here is realy cheap

and there many other mmorpg out there with gear and weapons that take a life time to get :)

40 dollars is stile cheap compare to other mmorpg i have played

gw2 legendary weapons in trade market so 4000 gold

if you convert gems you have with spending real money

to get those 4000 gold its so 500 dollar for 1 weapon

or you can pretty much have a hard time crafting that weapon that can take weeks or months

and the crafting stuff is not cheap eather so you need to grind for a long time

so that 40 dollar for a weapon here is realy cheap

and there many other mmorpg out there with gear and weapons that take a life time to get :)

Dude you compare the 2 thing all wrong.

SWTOR selling 40 dollars weapon SKIN

GW2 Legebdary are crafted by PLAYER, you paying for your own "LAZINESS"

*have you ever play FF11 and actually farm and make your own legendary weapon? Let me tell you that weapon take 2 years real time for a HARDCORE player to complete, so how much do you sell it (player can't sell bound weapon but they sell their account for it), I knew there some folks willing to pay 3K~5K dollars back in the '80

Oddly contentious response. I feel like you're trolling me, but I'll bite this time.

It's a discussion forum.. not your personal opinion forum. :)

You are projecting and alleging that a comment that disagrees with you is somehow "contentious".... when in fact it is simply disagreement, with reasons behind the disagreement presented for clarity.

Don't want to pay real money for it spend your credits on the GTN as it'll be on there soon if it's not there now.

Exactly.

See.. here's the thing.... the studio could have made CM items BoP in which case they force you to only acquire CM items via use of CCs (either from free grants or purchased). They did not.. they designed CM content to be an integral part of the player economy by making items free tradeable/sellable.

The studio approach actually gives players the most flexibility and freedom in choosing how they acquire an item. And now with the proliferation of direct sales (by popular request for years by the way) they have expanded the player options.

Based on current CC-2-Credits trade rates through GTN sales.....this saber has a fair market price point on the GTNs of between 50-70M credits...which puts it actually cheaper then prior coveted vented sabers which routinely sold north of 100M credits when they were only available from packs. I will probably watch the market and snap one up at or below 50M early when players are falling all over themselves to undercut each other. I don't actually have a need for the saber, but like many things CM related.. I will buy and store a copy for later... just in case.

As to 50M credits being somehow "a fortune" in this MMO... LOL...... it's not. I get that many players never put together any sort of wealth and prosperity plan for their MMO play.... but in fact a lot of players in fact do.. and as such... are able to buy anything that interests them. If you are credit poor in this particular MMO.. there is nobody to blame but yourself.

Edited by Andryah

It's a discussion forum.. not your personal opinion forum. :)

You are projecting and alleging that a comment that disagrees with you is somehow "contentious".... when in fact it is simply disagreement, with reasons behind the disagreement presented for clarity.

Thank Teapot. But you're still not getting it. You constructed a strawman that "projected" :rolleyes: in arguments I didn't make then proceeded to destroy the poor strawman (successfully, I might add). That's what I meant by "oddly contentious."

I never argued that there were zero "cool" cosmetic items whatsoever in the game (just few), and the context was specifically items in the CM. I also never said I didn't want vendors "hidden behind grinds" or premium items to be sold for "1M credits." In fact, I was arguing for using grind as a way to let ppl purchase "cool" stuff in-game with in-game currency, from the devs (i.e. a great credit sink).

Very few, if any, cosmetically appealing items are dropped as rewards. Also none of this stuff is purchasable from the devs for in-game currency either (not talking about GTN), which could be a great credit sink.

I'm saying even if it's a grind, even if it's all RNG, just add some nice loot to the base game too....

I would also clarify that forums very much are for "personal opinions" and that I'm happy to disagree. But if we are to "disagree" - let it be a real disagreement rather than something concocted out of thin air.

Sincerely,

Kettle

Don't like it - don't buy it. If enough people pay 5500cc for it, BW will assume that's a reasonable price and keep selling things at that price point. First direct-sale saber was some 7600cc IIRC. People apparently weren't willing to pay that, and the price went down.

If, however, more people do agree that 5500cc is reasonable, and BW makes a decent amount of cash at that price point, you may be S O L :rak_03:

Its not even a matter of "dont like it dont buy it" for many, its a matter of affordability.

Not everyone is rolling in cash and can afford to spend such high amounts on a single item, especially on top of a monthly sub fee at that. They love to slap the non wealthy people in the face in these games constantly, as if its not depressing enough at times to be hard up for cash. That is nothing but pure greed, to not take in to consideration the fact that the non wealthy might actually like a chance at obtaining the nice shiny new toys as well.

Edited by Suzsi

Its not even a matter of "dont like it dont buy it" for many, its a matter of affordability.

Not everyone is rolling in cash and can afford to spend such high amounts on a single item, especially on top of a monthly sub fee at that. They love to slap the non wealthy people in the face in these games constantly, as if its not depressing enough at times to be hard up for cash. That is nothing but pure greed, to not take in to consideration the fact that the non wealthy might actually like a chance at obtaining the nice shiny new toys as well.

This is a good point. Again, this is why the best balance IMO is to make all, or most, micro-transactions items available using solely in-game mechanics (vendors, drops, etc.). This is the approach taken with a lot of mobile games. Sure, the grind is (and should be) much longer, but at least let it be attainable for the willing. Studios could make those items BoL too where they're not purchased via the shop.

I don't see how studios lose with this model - especially ones like here where there is already a monthly sub. Many people who can't/won't grind (I put myself in this group) will still find means to get what they want, either by direct purchase or via in-game marketplace. But players who are willing to grind will stay subbed longer and play through repeatable content for the chance to get great loot - on top of any other motivations to play. It's all-around win, it's consistent with the "ethos" of gaming, and it's much less "icky"...

Do you complain about not owning a Ferrari too? I can get you not being able to afford stuff, but that entire paragraph comes out like "I can drive but I can't afford a Ferrari. Damn those rich people and their money!".

They're very fond of the CM. It's the same as when you say you dislike A aspect of game, out of B, C, D, and E aspects, they tell you, "why are you playing the game if you don't like it." But I agree with them sometimes. Don't buy it then.

What a silly answer. They aren't telling him not to buy it because they're unoriginal bw shills who hate criticism, but because it's the most common sense answer. Item too expensive? Don't buy it. What should they say? OP wants sympathy, but I'm not gonna buy it so I don't GAF.

I'm generally a lurker when it comes to the forums, but wow you're an angry person. Why do you care what people spend their money on? Just because you choose to not buy CCs, CM items, or whatnot with your money, does not give you the right to call people names because they spend their money differently than you. It's their money, not yours, so let them spend their money however they see fit.

That's because the person you're talking to has quit - supposedly - and is trying to persuade others to quit too, or stop buying CCs and join the revolution, and when people aren't persuaded they get angry and call people names.

Edited by Ardrossan

Do you complain about not owning a Ferrari too?
I sure as hell do...I cry myself to sleep each night looking at my Magnum PI poster, wishing I was Tom Selleck...I want one BAD!!! I'm willing to accept a used one even...honestly. :D

I sure as hell do...I cry myself to sleep each night looking at my Magnum PI poster, wishing I was Tom Selleck...I want one BAD!!! I'm willing to accept a used one even...honestly. :D

Please tell me you have the mustache....

Do you complain about not owning a Ferrari too? I can get you not being able to afford stuff, but that entire paragraph comes out like "I can drive but I can't afford a Ferrari. Damn those rich people and their money!".

Theres a huge difference between physical items in the real world and a few pixels on a PC screen.

How many more sales and how much more $$ would they actually make setting items at a more affordable cost rather then catering to the few elites.

If you want the Dark Honor Guard's Lightsaber, it's 5500 coins or $40, then add on top the unlock cost account wide and you get the idea.

Whoever came up with the pricing, do you honestly believe that $40 for a SINGLE weapon is ok?

Yes, i was very incredibly excited for the ability to purchase individual items on the CM, and i do believe this was a step in the right direction, but that does not offset the price tag you're slapping on things.I usually try to give the benefit of a doubt or even just see things from the other side and while i agree that this is a business and it's about making money, FFS, this is outright greed.

There are still people who buy it so Its pointless to change something. If you dont want it - dont buy it, if you are a maniac - buy it. Simple. I also think that the price is too high but whatever..