The END of SWTOR

Dreknathar

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right?! TWO words...if you'd have typed any less, you wouldn't have been able to post it.

They prey on people's curiosity. Prey... predator... pretty simple. I wasn't going into any of that other stuff.

Edited by kodrac

I think we're pretty much on the same page.

So, do you really think if (when) they announce another 100 (or more?:eek:) GC levels that the majority of the player base will receive the news with "excitement" and be happy to grind out more CXP?

If I recall correctly and if the information was correct, they planned on releasing another 100 levels of GC some time this past year but held off on it due to how poorly the whole GC system was received in general.

I'm really trying to understand the mentality of the playerbase as a whole and to a degree the mentality of the SWTOR team.

Has the mood of the playerbase changed so much in a year or so that 100 more GC levels wouldn't be scorned by a significant portion of the playerbase?

I get what you are saying about the SWTOR team doing this because they need to give the players SOMETHING to do during the "summer lull".

And, I can't remember off the top of my head, but is summer light on game updates typically? The game isn't a TV show. They don't take a summer hiatus and then come back with a "new fall season" so to speak, do they? At my job at least, the only time things slow down really is around mid December to early January (for the holidays).

If the player base isnt willing to accept any type of levelling, whether its actual levels or GC, the game is doomed because thats a staple of an expanding game. In order to create a feeling of progressing your toon, there has to be potential to progress, not just content. In the grand scheme of mmos, content has always been secondary to the player-toon bond that thrives when you are able to get better via levels, gear, amd skill. Levels and gear the devs control, and ceilings for each can remain constant until they are ready to build higher. Skill is variable from player to player, latency to latency, so content is harder to create to meet everyones wants and needs.

If I was a new player curious about the game and coming to these forums, I doubt I would be interested in giving this game a fair shot.

I don't think it's just these forums that are like that. I can't say these days I run across anything that puts this game in a good light for a prospective gamer.

I *THINK* Anthem is appealing to a different subset of gamers, either ones that are all about Halo and/or Call of Duty type games or just general gamers and aren't going out of their way to appeal to MMO and/or RPG type games.

^^^^^

Players who play Anthem, and games like it, don't generally play MMO's (like this one, WOW, ESO, etc, etc). Also the market for that kind of game is crowded. So EA has a fight on their hands. And a lot of baggage. Because of what happened with MEA, and BF2, a lot of players that would've played Anthem won't.

I have no doubt Anthem will be a hit. I do doubt it will be the mega hit EA wants.

Edited by cagthehack

I may be the only one, but I actually liked the DvL event.

While it was not new content, it allowed and incentivized you to go through the best part of content: levels 1-50.

While I understand that the requirement was to do levels 1-50, and you could achieve it by doing Esseles/Black Talon ad neuseum, that is not what I did, but actually took 8 characters through their class story.

While it takes more time, it is definitely more enjoyable than the FP route.

I still have those characters and play them from time to time, finishing their class stories.

There are still some class LI combos I haven't experienced, so an actual DvL like event would be welcome for me.

Of course, in the light of not having new content at all, ofc new content would be more welcome.

I may be the only one, but I actually liked the DvL event.

While it was not new content, it allowed and incentivized you to go through the best part of content: levels 1-50.

While I understand that the requirement was to do levels 1-50, and you could achieve it by doing Esseles/Black Talon ad neuseum, that is not what I did, but actually took 8 characters through their class story.

While it takes more time, it is definitely more enjoyable than the FP route.

I still have those characters and play them from time to time, finishing their class stories.

There are still some class LI combos I haven't experienced, so an actual DvL like event would be welcome for me.

Of course, in the light of not having new content at all, ofc new content would be more welcome.

Going to reassert this position here and say while I myself hated the DvL event and I didn't do it, a lot of my friends and guildies did and got to enjoy the game again as they were encouraged to do content they haven't done before, or re-experience it since its been so long. I would of preferred new content or a new event, but at the end DvL helped save the game and let people really branch out of what their comfortable with, in a good way.

I wish the dev's would restart the DvL event. I loved it.

I did not like it personally... but I know a lot of players in game that did.. so I agree with you...... though I would say it needs some new wrappings so it is not immediately attacked as some sort of "retread" of an event.

Keep in mind though.... it was a specific summer filler to keep players entertained to one degree or another in the lead up to the 5.0 expac. In the lead-up to other expacs... they did something else.

That said.....only the studio has the data to see how popular and heavily played it was across the player base.

I wish the dev's would restart the DvL event. I loved it.

Only if they allow you to using existing Alts and not be required to start new ones.

I actually paid to open new slots to do the event, then 5.0 was released and was so alt unfriendly that it made them worthless and a waste of time. The whole thing left a foul taste in my mouth and shouted out to me... “cash grab and we got you suckers”... Nice troll Ben Irving

That was the last straw for me. I will never pay for CC coins again to do anything in this game. When you burn players like that, they will never trust you again. So the only way I would participate would be if you could use existing characters because I won’t be buying more slots or deleting characters.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

hi all!

i was just commenting on some official SWTOR Facebook post, when a guy replied to me, that soon, SWTOR might be shut down for good, because EA is moving on to other projects and the devs will be used for Anthem and other games.

Anthem looks cool, i like it, but will they pull the plug on SWTOR?

Anyone know of any sources to confirm or deny this?

And if it is true..how soon will it happen?

Thanks!

SWTOR will not shut down soon.

Unless EA loses the contract to some other company, as is rumored ATM.

I seriously doubt they'll lose it. There really isn't anyone else that will or could take it that wouldn't just make the same mistakes EA did.

The decision will come down to the same thing it always comes down to, money, and continued IP licensing. It'll never be about who would or would not adopt the game and keep it going.

I seriously doubt they'll lose it. There really isn't anyone else that will or could take it that wouldn't just make the same mistakes EA did.

Is it really that hard to get ahold of yourself and know the extent of your own greed? making lootboxes and RNG required to progress in the game? really? seriously? Plenty of other and better companies, NOT Konami, Ubisoft, or Activision, could of done so much better with the license rather than focus on a simple proliferation of god awful mobile games that is a reskin of another game, and multiplayer focused only games with a quota of lootboxes to sell. Ones of amazing stories and gameplay, or a continuation of much beloved franchises could of continued, Republic Commando 2, Force Unleashed III, a new Jedi Academy game, a proper Battlefront III, just so much more could of happened with the license, and hopefully it will once EA loses it.

There really isn't anyone else that will or could take it that wouldn't just make the same mistakes EA did.

Everyone else literally could make better use of the IP. Facts do not lie. After so many years they don't have much to show as far as games for the SW IP are concerned.

Everyone else literally could make better use of the IP. Facts do not lie. After so many years they don't have much to show as far as games for the SW IP are concerned.

What facts? All I see is opinion presented as fact. To actually have facts.. you would need to turn the code base over to another development team and see what they do with it and then compare before and after.

Do you have any idea what the code base looks like for a large scale MMO 6+ years after release? It's large, it's a mess of years of different developers messing around in the wiring, it's very likely absent the needed commenting within to even let a new developer unpack how things are wired up, and more importantly what dependencies any given piece of code inflicts across the larger code base.

We are not talking about an excel workbook here.