Lana Appreciation Thread - Love for the Dark Advisor! Haters, please stay away,

IoNonSoEVero

I don't think that throwing Theron to the Revanites or wanting to dissect Surro were *nice* things. I always ask Lana to apologize for it

Pardon me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC only my Imperial characters got the option to ask Lana to apologize for Theron's capture. (And to be honest it seemed more like "tell" than "ask" in my admittedly subjective opinion.) I recently (finally!) brought my knight through SoR and I didn't see the apology option anywhere. (Could be it was down some conversation path that I didn't follow, but SWTOR convo trees generally don't seem that labyrinthine.)

This gave me the impression that the only reason the Imperial character can get Lana to apologize is by basically ordering her to do it - the Imperial character has some authority with her that the Republic one doesn't. (Incidentally, I love these little differences between Imp and Pub in SoR.) Though she can be made to apologize, I think it's under protest. She still believes she did the right thing and is only apologizing because she's told to do it.

That doesn't mean she has no regrets. I think if she'd had the option to achieve her goals without letting that happen to Theron, she would've preferred that path. I don't think she's happy that he suffered. But ultimately I don't think his feelings are even close to what's most important to her. I think Lana will sacrifice almost any bond for the sake of the big picture. It's a lonely place to be in, but she can accept that. Maybe what's so special about her bond with the main character is that here she sees someone so pivotal to galactic events, and so capable of enacting massive change, that she'll never have to sacrifice them or set them aside. They'll always be that pivot-point where she needs to be. That actually gives a space in which she can build a relationship, whether it's service, friendship, or romantic love. Here, I think, she feels she can have something for herself and still achieve her wider goals.

It's weird because this sort of attitude could be seen as a jedi-like disregard of attachment. But that's just a superficial outward resemblance. I think what's actually going on inside Lana is the opposite of a jedi's internal process. She desires all manner of attachments but is willing to go through the pain of losing them if she thinks it's necessary.

You know, I've had plenty of times when I felt like we're given hardly any insight into Lana's motivations and background, particularly compared to Theron. But now I feel like maybe I just didn't think about her enough, didn't ask myself what internal state could adequately explain all the things she does and says. There's probably a lot more to her than I had really considered.

Edited by Estelindis

Pardon me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC only my Imperial characters got the option to ask Lana to apologize for Theron's capture. (And to be honest it seemed more like "tell" than "ask" in my admittedly subjective opinion.) I recently (finally!) brought my knight through SoR and I didn't see the apology option anywhere. (Could be it was down some conversation path that I didn't follow, but SWTOR convo trees generally don't seem that labyrinthine.)

This gave me the impression that the only reason the Imperial character can get Lana to apologize is by basically ordering her to do it - the Imperial character has some authority with her that the Republic one doesn't. (Incidentally, I love these little differences between Imp and Pub in SoR.) Though she can be made to apologize, I think it's under protest. She still believes she did the right thing and is only apologizing because she's told to do it.

That doesn't mean she has no regrets. I think if she'd had the option to achieve her goals without letting that happen to Theron, she would've preferred that path. I don't think she's happy that he suffered. But ultimately I don't think his feelings are even close to what's most important to her. I think Lana will sacrifice almost any bond for the sake of the big picture. It's a lonely place to be in, but she can accept that.

It *is* under protest - IIRC she says something like, "I apologize for betraying your trust" but does not apologize for turning him over to the Revanites. That's only on the Imperial side.

But on both Imperial and Republic, when you talk to her in the romance conversation afterward, she clearly feels bad about it and realizes she shattered Theron's trust in her. She still believes in what she did, but she recognizes that it had adverse effects. I think you're right that for her, the Revanites are the most important goal and if Theron is collateral damage, so be it. She also does mention something in the romance convo that after they're done with Revan they'll be enemies again, so it's as though she's already accepted that whatever friendship they have is going away at some point.

Maybe what's so special about her bond with the main character is that here she sees someone so pivotal to galactic events, and so capable of enacting massive change, that she'll never have to sacrifice them or set them aside. They'll always be that pivot-point where she needs to be. That actually gives a space in which she can build a relationship, whether it's service, friendship, or romantic love. Here, I think, she feels she can have something for herself and still achieve her wider goals.

It's weird because this sort of attitude could be seen as a jedi-like disregard of attachment. But that's just a superficial outward resemblance. I think what's actually going on inside Lana is the opposite of a jedi's internal process. She desires all manner of attachments but is willing to go through the pain of losing them if she thinks it's necessary.

You know, I've had plenty of times when I felt like we're given hardly any insight into Lana's motivations and background, particularly compared to Theron. But now I feel like maybe I just didn't think about her enough, didn't ask myself what internal state could adequately explain all the things she does and says. There's probably a lot more to her than I had really considered.

I really agree with this. I think the Outlander is the one person she feels safe to stick with, and will sacrifice herself for rather than sacrificing them. Like on the train on Umbara it seems to be reflex that she jumps in front of the first shot from the traitor's blaster, and that's regardless if they've romanced her. She sends very heartfelt letters to the player if you've romanced her, and they're frequently all about how she will protect them at all costs.

I do think she feels very deeply for those she cares about, but doesn't let herself care very often because so much happens.

Ya i love Lana.. me personally i would love to have a side quest of just pure romance going on a date with her outside of all the crazy, some form of conversation.. we eating drinking just a real honest to goodness romance side quest! we can even call it.. Romancing the Dark Advisor.

But on both Imperial and Republic, when you talk to her in the romance conversation afterward, she clearly feels bad about it and realizes she shattered Theron's trust in her.

I think I might've missed that. I only have one character who's romanced Lana, and he despises Theron to the point of never choosing any conversation options that evoke sympathy for him. :D Maybe she brought it up independently and I just don't recall. The only thing that stands out to me is romance-neutral - I think everyone has a chance to hear it. In the first Yavin mission, she laments over the comms about how Theron looks at her now. Not that this stops her from trying to go behind his back at the conclusion of the very same mission. ;) Just as we already said, she has her eyes on a larger goal.

I think the Outlander is the one person she feels safe to stick with, and will sacrifice herself for rather than sacrificing them. Like on the train on Umbara it seems to be reflex that she jumps in front of the first shot from the traitor's blaster, and that's regardless if they've romanced her.

Indeed. Even my pure LS sage, who romances Felix and follows Lana's advice almost never, got that Umbara intercept! I guess it goes to show that Lana's view on the importance of the main character is independent of what their relationship happens to be. It would account for the depth of Lana's loyalty even to characters who aren't very close to her emotionally or philosophically.

She sends very heartfelt letters to the player if you've romanced her, and they're frequently all about how she will protect them at all costs.

I do think she feels very deeply for those she cares about, but doesn't let herself care very often because so much happens.

Kinda makes me sorry that the only character I've had romance Lana is a supreme jerk who went back to Kaliyo at the earliest opportunity. :( I should really give Lana someone kind who chooses her over everyone else in all circumstances. She may be loyal to everyone, but wouldn't it be nice for her to have something more that just loyalty...? Damn, I need to play way more characters than I have time for.

At the very least, Lana is sincere friends with my sith warrior. The two of them share the same outlook on life. I felt a sense of companionship from their first meeting that I'd never noticed any of my previous characters have with Lana, even the one who romanced her. That'll have to be enough until I make someone specifically for the Lana romance. :)

Anyway, can I just say a big thanks for the Lana discussion here? I have honestly never been the hugest fan of her character, but the posts here have led me to reflect on her and see so much more. Seems like, if we want to get into the depths of a character, the best thing to do is ask the ultra-fans of that character. A super-fan notices so many little things about their favorite that can easily pass by those who don't have strong feelings about the character. Thank you for sharing some of those things with me.

Edited by Estelindis

We don't have to agree, no. :)

I don't think that throwing Theron to the Revanites or wanting to dissect Surro were *nice* things. I always ask Lana to apologize for it, because it was awful (and she realizes that herself, during your romance conversation she does say she understands that Theron trusted her, must feel very betrayed and will never trust her again). I think they were pragmatic things, meaning that Lana felt they would serve the overall goal the best. Not because she wanted to hurt them out of hand or out of malice.

This is what I said in my first post when I pointed out that this was a classical interpretation of a 16th Century Italian school of political philosophy and somehow I hate Lana???? SMH!

@ Mr. Mike Cobalt she's certainly is pissed I saved the swamp people!

I think I might've missed that. I only have one character who's romanced Lana, and he despises Theron to the point of never choosing any conversation options that evoke sympathy for him. :D Maybe she brought it up independently and I just don't recall. The only thing that stands out to me is romance-neutral - I think everyone has a chance to hear it. In the first Yavin mission, she laments over the comms about how Theron looks at her now. Not that this stops her from trying to go behind his back at the conclusion of the very same mission. ;) Just as we already said, she has her eyes on a larger goal.

It's in the Rishi convo where you kiss her - she brings it up herself, and even if you tell her, "look, you did the right thing," she still comments that she knows Theron must feel betrayed. On the Republic side (which I've only seen in the videos) she's even harder on herself- she makes a comment like, "Yep, the wicked Sith screwed everything up, didn't I?" It must make it harder for her to make these choices; she's aware of the emotional cost.

Kinda makes me sorry that the only character I've had romance Lana is a supreme jerk who went back to Kaliyo at the earliest opportunity. :( I should really give Lana someone kind who chooses her over everyone else in all circumstances. She may be loyal to everyone, but wouldn't it be nice for her to have something more that just loyalty...? Damn, I need to play way more characters than I have time for.

At the very least, Lana is sincere friends with my sith warrior. The two of them share the same outlook on life. I felt a sense of companionship from their first meeting that I'd never noticed any of my previous characters have with Lana, even the one who romanced her. That'll have to be enough until I make someone specifically for the Lana romance. :)

Lana deserves someone who will treat her like gold and will treasure her for her, I think. :) When you have that kiss at the end of KOTET you can either tell her you love her and give her a kiss, or tell her you need her. If you choose to tell her you need her, she looks so sad. But if you tell her you love her, her face just lights up and it's a very sweet scene.

The adorable thing about her in a romance is that she worries about you. She even tells in an email that you she will always be worried whenever you're away on a mission without her.

And IMHO the Sith Warrior is the 100% best match for her in a romance. Both Imperial both Sith, can both take a lighter-sided, more pragmatic view, and they seem to connect really well with each other.

Anyway, can I just say a big thanks for the Lana discussion here? I have honestly never been the hugest fan of her character, but the posts here have led me to reflect on her and see so much more. Seems like, if we want to get into the depths of a character, the best thing to do is ask the ultra-fans of that character. A super-fan notices so many little things about their favorite that can easily pass by those who don't have strong feelings about the character. Thank you for sharing some of those things with me.

Thank you for the great discussion! :) It's always good to be able to chat and I am so glad that this thread has helped you see another perspective of Lana. :D

My Trooper made her apologize, NP. Personally what I like most is that it doesn't muck up your personal story no matter what type of relationship u have with her. Unlike other comps, you can do romance, pro's, friends, or grudgingly put up with one another, anything makes sense.

There's no way either of my agents could be anything close to friends with her, not because I dislike her, but because she's Sith and there is no way they'd ever be able to forgive what happened to them because of the brainwashing. But since they have a strict sense of etiquette they'd never be rude.

My SW would be friendly, but rolling his eyes a bit. Like, "Lana, who's Wrath here?"

My Trooper, polite but all business.

JK will spar, joke, but in the end Lana wouldn't be a confidant, strictly need to know relationship.

My Baby JC.... "Lana I know you disapprove of every choice I make, but I really know what I'm doing. Thank you for freeing me."

And IMHO the Sith Warrior is the 100% best match for her in a romance. Both Imperial both Sith, can both take a lighter-sided, more pragmatic view, and they seem to connect really well with each other.

Personally I think the best match is a Gray Jedi Knight :D I'm a sucker for the angsty star-crossed lovers trope and there's sooo much of it between SoR and Ziost~ but then the romance has a fantastic resolution with Kotfe/et and Iokath, especially when my Knight finally gave up on the Republic.

The Imperial Agent and Lana also have a very interesting dynamic, especially when they're working together on Ziost as Commander and Minister of Sith Intelligence.

Currently I'm running a Sith Inquisitor through and I already have a reallly good feeling about their relationship being an interesting one!

Personally I think the best match is a Gray Jedi Knight :D I'm a sucker for the angsty star-crossed lovers trope and there's sooo much of it between SoR and Ziost~ but then the romance has a fantastic resolution with Kotfe/et and Iokath, especially when my Knight finally gave up on the Republic.

The Imperial Agent and Lana also have a very interesting dynamic, especially when they're working together on Ziost as Commander and Minister of Sith Intelligence.

Currently I'm running a Sith Inquisitor through and I already have a reallly good feeling about their relationship being an interesting one!

I still stand by Sith Warrior. :) My Sith Inquisitor had a nice relationship with her, but it seemed very uneven. My SI was all confuzzled.

I have not brought a agent through anything post-vanilla yet - I don't think that non-Force users really do well with those stories (my agent might do a good job with Makeb, but there's no reason in my mind that she should be able to defeat Revan). But having them working in Sith Intelligence together might have made for some really good stories, if they'd done another round of class quests!

In my opinion with the Legacy System they're ALL Force Sensitive to varying degrees.

Just closely observe Han Solo during the OT and TFA. The way he manages to shoot enemies without even looking or aiming makes me believe he clearly isn't completely blind to the force. He might think of it as a gut feeling, but in truth it is the force IMO. Not Jedi level force sensititvity, but above the average citizen.

So in my headcanon my non force users are all force sensitive to a certain degree, not enough to get a Jedi or Sith's attention, but enough so they can outperform most of their opponents.

But back to topic, this is a Lana thread after all. Right now i am playing my newest smuggler and can't wait to finaly meet Lana again. He is a womenizer and though Risha has her attributes, i prefere Lana. Especially with the lacking reuniion in mind.

In my headcanon my smuggler is the one helping Theron and Lana to disappear after they are branded traitors. As the new Nr 1 in the galactic underworld, it shouldn't be a problem for him to get first class fake IDs, a ship and all Lana requires without the empire or SID getting involved. They can just disappear and use the captains network to investigate the Revanites. Sounds odd, but the smuggler in fact is one of the most unfluential individuals in the galaxy after act 3 IMO. And i like to believe that during this playthrough the disciplined Lana Beniko finds out that she has a weakness for charming outlaws ;) Lana + a mixture of Malcolm Reynolds, Han Solo and Jack Sparrow...sounds like a complicated but interesting relationship :D

I just noticed that Lana is the quest giver for the Andronikos return. How is that set up? My SI hasn't finished KOTET yet (slow going with her advanced class) but I noticed that elsewhere.

I like that Lana is the quest giver for Darth Hexid, and how that is approached (ie, she mentions she's never worked with this other Sith). But I was disappointed with how BW wrote the Alliance Alert for Pierce with Lana. It should have been different for Sith Warriors and yet it's written as though that Outlander has never met Pierce at all. :rolleyes:

I just noticed that Lana is the quest giver for the Andronikos return. How is that set up? My SI hasn't finished KOTET yet (slow going with her advanced class) but I noticed that elsewhere.

I like that Lana is the quest giver for Darth Hexid, and how that is approached (ie, she mentions she's never worked with this other Sith). But I was disappointed with how BW wrote the Alliance Alert for Pierce with Lana. It should have been different for Sith Warriors and yet it's written as though that Outlander has never met Pierce at all. :rolleyes:

Just like most others. Lana would have gotten the reports of such and such event, like for Andronikos it is someone raiding your ships. She forwards that report to the commander saying he's caught just to let you know and he's at this location. I highly doubt she ever directly had contact with all or many of the Alliance Alerts she provides, same with the others that give alerts. I doubt Lana didn't know Pierce was one of SW's crew, but likes to let you find out yourself, keeping the 'alert' professional like all hers sound.

Do you Lana fans think Lana is involved in the whole Theron betrayel plot?

I personally hope, and think, she is not in on the whole thing. will be upset/disappointed (in both her and theron majorly) if she is in on it and also doesn't trust the Commander enough to let them in on it... or to know anything.

I personally hope, and think, she is not in on the whole thing. will be upset/disappointed (in both her and theron majorly) if she is in on it and also doesn't trust the Commander enough to let them in on it... or to know anything.

I agree with this. I don't think she's in on it because her reactions seem so genuine, and if she is, I would be very disappointed and upset. It would more or less shatter trust in the character, both as a colleague and a love interest.

I am hoping for a "Theron is being controlled" or a "Theron was duplicated" ending myself.

Just like most others. Lana would have gotten the reports of such and such event, like for Andronikos it is someone raiding your ships. She forwards that report to the commander saying he's caught just to let you know and he's at this location. I highly doubt she ever directly had contact with all or many of the Alliance Alerts she provides, same with the others that give alerts. I doubt Lana didn't know Pierce was one of SW's crew, but likes to let you find out yourself, keeping the 'alert' professional like all hers sound.

Andronikos was raiding Alliance ships? Oh, foolish man, LOL.

Thanks - that makes sense. IMHO it was more of a "BW is too cheap to do a separate AA for the Sith Warrior" but the idea of a professional memo makes sense.

Andronikos was raiding Alliance ships? Oh, foolish man, LOL.

Thanks - that makes sense. IMHO it was more of a "BW is too cheap to do a separate AA for the Sith Warrior" but the idea of a professional memo makes sense.

To be fair he thought they were still controlled by Vaylin, as it was the Eternal Fleet ships, but still funny :D

Well the Alerts could be both, but to me they do make sense to be less personal and more professional anyway so it never bothered me.

Edited by Asmodesu

The problem with this, is she should've known of Andronikus, since she would've obviously have met him, when she worked with the Outlander (as only the SI gets him).

To be fair he thought they were still controlled by Vaylin, as it was the Eternal Fleet ships, but still funny :D

Well the Alerts could be both, but to me they do make sense to be less personal and more professional anyway so it never bothered me.

OK, that's really funny. That does sound like classic Andronikos, LOL. My SI didn't romance Andronikos, but they were good pals.

I guess from a Lana POV she could keep it all professional because she doesn't want anyone's safety to be compromised before the Commander can get to them. Saying "hey, found your old friend" might inspire someone to go after the companion much quicker than "hey, found a possible asset."

What's your favourite Lana line/sentence? Can be anything!

I personally like, "Yes I'm still here, not going anywhere" :rak_03: or something like that, when you click on her!

I really like the "Commander, ready to Commandeer?" line from KOTFE and the "Shall we do something dangerous?" line you sometimes get when you click on her.

The problem with this, is she should've known of Andronikus, since she would've obviously have met him, when she worked with the Outlander (as only the SI gets him).

I don't recall Lana ever mentioning the crews, only Theron with Aric, and when meeting Kaliyo, but I my have missed any comment. Just thought she never had, while Theron did a couple of times.