Little tips and tricks that you didn't know..

Lheim

Your companion cannot aggro mobs, but will generate threat normally once combat begins.

I can get my companion to aggro mobs simply by clicking the little ability that says 'attack you current target'. That's how I usually start up with my Trooper against hard targets.

Cheers.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Request Duel" option has 2 great uses for people on PvE (on PvP, jsut do these things)

1) Getting stuck. You can get unstuck with /stuck, Fleet Pass, Mounting, or Teleportation, but these fail many times due to getting stuck in a way in which you don't come to a resting position. In these cases, duel and be killed. You can respawn unstuck.

2) Getting Datacrons. The Jedi Knight can leap to an enemy, and several classes have a pull skill. These allow players to help each other reach tough spots. (Entering cinematic for the cron appears to break off pvp mode)

Any others?

1) If you die in an agro area next to a group of MOBs or a Boss MOB, don't rez at a med center. You have 8 seconds while rezing where you can move your toon to a safe spot out of agro range. You can then get your health back, rebuff, etc. Then you can restart the attack, without having to run back from the med center.

2) If stuck and nothing else seems to work, try opening fire on a mob. It will turn on your combat stance animation and sometimes unsticks you.

3) Shift Clicking on an object in inventory places the object's name in the chat window text. It then has working tool tip links. It's great for buying and selling items.

Edited by Owsley

all these tips are like the basics of this game

captain obviouses strike again

People I know are first time MMOers, and most of this information would be helpful to them. And even a 5-year veteran of another game has gotten several good ideas from this list - so keep them coming!!!

Combat fly text has different colors and sizes. White is normal weapon damage. Yellow is tech damage. Grey is companion damage. Green is healing. Red is damage taken. Small text is damage over time. Medium text is a regular hit. Large text is a crit. Someone please fill in anything I missed.

Your laser cannons in the space missions have an incredibly long range. You can fire at the small fighter ships as soon as they appear as a glowing spec in the distance. In addition, if you do this, you don't have to take travel time or 'leading your target' into account. If the target is in the reticule when you fire, even if it's a long way off and your laser takes 5 seconds to get there, it will hit.

I would say please research and read everything possible before you ask questions in game or endure the threat of general chat and forum jerks.

I think that is the biggest tip for playing any mmo.

Nah, I’ll revise:

If you have a question, ask. Then, if anyone responds with ridicule, simply respond, “Thanks for letting me know you’re a jerk. You now will never have the pleasure of knowing me or playing this great game with me.” Then immediately put them on IGNORE.

:p

In pvp it's to insure you never go backwards and always straffe in pvp. This allows you to use max movement and straffe melee ect..

Having played games for 20 years means nothing..

Again I am not trying to be a douche, but have not really explain this play style. You only gave one “benefit” to this play style

Again I'm going to ask you to actually explain this concept and how you play this way. What do you bind to move forward, and backwards? What do you bind to W and S? How u actually use this in combat?

By saying that you strafe and cannot move backwards is not an explanation of this play style.

How does this make it easier to strafe and why is moving backwards a bad thing?

The 20 years actually means the following.

1. Experience.......

2. Understanding......

3. Maturity.......

4. Diversity......

5. The ability to learn and adapt.......

I could go on but I doubt it will matter to you.

I am actually curious about how this works for you but your immune response of my personal experience not mattering is taking some if not most of that curiosity away. I in no way attacked you or insulted you, and still haven’t I was genially curious about this style of play because I had not heard of it.

Edited by WolfGangFox

Reverse Engineering your crafted items has a chance of learning the "Blue" version of that item which is better than the normal version and has a higher threshold of leveling your prof.

Hope this helps. :)

1) Also, a critical craft will yield an item with a mod slot. The item is labeled (Exceptional)

2) Reengineering a blue will give you a purple (Artifact) item.

Edited by Owsley

Anoyne figured how to gear up cross faction alts?

Neutral (contested) planets like Nar Shaddaa have their own galactic trade network that allows cross faction trading. Go to one and put something on sale for an outrageous amount. Have your alt buy it and if you want the money back, have the alt sell something back for a similar amout.

Edited by Owsley

5. You can learn a profession before level 10, by taking the shuttle to the fleet. You can not do crew skill missions without a companion, but you can gather straight from level 1.

As of yesterday's patch it appears you must complete your opening class quest and be on the step taking you to your next planet before you can use the transport to get to your faction's fleet. In other words, it's impossible to learn crew skills or start gathering, or use the galactic trade network, and so on.

This change wasn't mentioned in the patch notes so I suppose it may just be a bug, but I suspect it's an intentional change.

Combat fly text has different colors and sizes. White is normal weapon damage. Yellow is tech damage. Grey is companion damage. Green is healing. Red is damage taken. Small text is damage over time. Medium text is a regular hit. Large text is a crit. Someone please fill in anything I missed.

Is there a way to change this? ie: if I want crit to show Big and Red.

22 pages is alot to go through.. so forgive me if this has been mentioned x times.. :)

space flight

1. all the enemy fighters have red trails

2. you can rotate the galaxy map with mouse2 button pressed down / move

3. there is no secret cow level

Edited by Asgorim

22 pages is alot to go through.. so forgive me if this has been mentioned x times.. :)

space flight

1. all the enemy fighters have red trails

2. you can rotate the galaxy map with mouse2 button pressed down / move

3. there is no secret cow level

I think that number 1 is only for republic. All my enemy ships have yellow.

What a great thread! I've never played an MMO before so my early days were a bit frustrating. Some people can be really harsh if you are trying to learn the ropes.

Only thing I have to contribute is that stealth (if you're a shadow) will save you from having to fight a lot of unnecessary battles when you're running back to turn in quests. Oh yea, and do every quest you can find because it will really help you level.

Sometimes, if I see someone taking a pounding, I will jump in and assist to save them or if I'm heading back from a rough area, I buff people heading in. Lead by example, all that, because some players are really mean!

I have a problem jumping in this game (especially to get datacrons). Someone told me to do a nice, controlled short jump to hit "w" and the space bar at the same time. It works great for doing things like jumping up on boxes or making a controlled jump from one item to another without falling (no running and guessing when to jump). So to recap:

Controlled short jump = "W" + spcaebar

Maybe you could do this in other games too, but I never needed to be so exact in my jumps in other games, lol.

Actually on jump : you can even control better if you press space bar first, then use W after having jumped up to go a tad bit forward.

very useful for datacron hunting.

Dont roll a size 3 or 4 character if you want all the datacrons. Size of body affects hit box (yes in pvp too) and you wont make it through some gaps in the routes to some datacrons.

Would not that be a bug ? I would not expect anything at character creation baring you from any stuff available for your class/faction...

When you're accessing your cargo hold, you can right-click an item or stack of items to swap them between your inventory and the cargo hold (rather than dragging). HOWEVER.... items moved from your inventory to your cargo-hold do not automatically stack on top of each other. If you have 6 crystals in your cargo hold, and collect another 6 to move from your inventory to your cargo hold, it will create a new stack of 6, making you run out of cargo slots fast. You can create one stack by moving the two stacks on top of each other manually.

Moving stuff from your cargo hold to your inventory DOES stack automatically though.

Would not be an obvious short cut, to simply right click on all your similar cargo hold item into inventory, to auto stack them, then again right click on the inventory item to go into cargo hold , and spare the manual stacking ?

Sometimes, if I see someone taking a pounding, I will jump in and assist to save them or if I'm heading back from a rough area, I buff people heading in. Lead by example, all that, because some players are really mean!

If you're not on a PVP server, just be aware that if the player you buff is flagged for PVP (green nameplate instead of blue) you will also become flagged for PVP and be susceptible to attack by enemy players. It wears off after a while, I think 5 minutes, not sure.

I've had to answer this question a few times on my server, so thought I'd add the info to this thread.

Fleet Commendations (those tokens you get from completing space combat missions) are turned in for ship upgrades at the same place where the starship upgrades vendor is on your fleet.

On the Imperial Fleet, it's in the southwest quadrant. There is a droid in back of the starship upgrades counter who takes your fleet commendations. Make sure you check the level requirement for the item you are trading for.