In a few months, we'll all be playing Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2......

alaizon

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a wild and crazy idea: Why not play all three?! :o

I know I plan too. :)

Along with Mass Effect 3, Kingdoms of Amalur, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and other bad-*** games coming this winter and spring.

Edited by Darkeus

It's interesting to see how people have identified that one single mistake which leads to people turning away ;)

Truth is that there is usually a whole collection of issues because people usually can forgive one or two mistakes, sometimes even alot more but it's more about how long these will be lingering around. Most MMO companies, incl. Blizzard are sometimes over-confident about their abilities. It's their job. They have to be convinced of themselves. But it becomes an issue if they are getting blinded by that, lose objectivity and sometimes fall in love with their solutions and live in denial about and the issues around it. I call it the the "Lightwell problem".

The issue is the MMO community itself has created a double edged sword for themselves. Players are yearning for a next generation game that will be refreshing. A developer comes and creates a game that's trying to break the mold but the community screams because they miss the carrot on the stick model or are unwilling to change the old MMO model.

However another developer will come into the business and create a game that has the best of everything but is in no way original. The community screams because the game is too much like other games and they need something new and different.

Diablo is not an mmo... and gw2 well... its not an mmo either. So... What exactly are you trying to say?

By the way... dont speak on my behalf cause starwars has done something I trully appreciate: NO ELVES.

Orly, since it seems to me that GW2 will also have a personal story and voice acted quests. Add to that an Open WvWvW PVP zone, Public quests that scale with the amount of people there (so you can possibly do them with hundreds)

So if your saying GW2 isnt an MMO then Swtor also inst >.>

I don't remember any elves in Diablo.

Also, with the way instancing is going in SWTOR, this isn't an MMO either. Most F2P MMOs are the only true MMOs without instancing anymore.

MMO - Massive Multi-player Online.

Well, diablo, GW, SWTOR all massive, all have multiple players, all online... And low lvl may be all solo able in SW but just wait until endgame and your tune will change.

Actually, I won't be playing either of those games. Diablo 3 is already dead to me from the news they've sent out. GW2, I was never a fan of GW1 and it was for the stupidest reason. This is serious, and I know you'll get a good laugh out of it, but: Characters couldn't jump. There, I said it. My spacebar did absolutely nothing to the character and I had to run around objects instead of jump over them. Total game breaker for me. Weird, I know.

Go ahead and ridicule me now, I deserve it.

Actually, I won't be playing either of those games. Diablo 3 is already dead to me from the news they've sent out. GW2, I was never a fan of GW1 and it was for the stupidest reason. This is serious, and I know you'll get a good laugh out of it, but: Characters couldn't jump. There, I said it. My spacebar did absolutely nothing to the character and I had to run around objects instead of jump over them. Total game breaker for me. Weird, I know.

Go ahead and ridicule me now, I deserve it.

Snap, not being able to jump was for me as well.

GW2 is not GW1.

GW1 marketed itself as a MORPG [Multiplayer Online RPG]. GW2 is to be an MMO in the true sense of the word.

The games are like night and day.

Orly, since it seems to me that GW2 will also have a personal story and voice acted quests. Add to that an Open WvWvW PVP zone, Public quests that scale with the amount of people there (so you can possibly do them with hundreds)

So if your saying GW2 isnt an MMO then Swtor also inst >.>

Except (and I'll say it again), GW2 IS AN MMO. People think that it will be like GW1 but GW2 will not be instanced like GW1.

Unbelievable that people still think this.

IMHO, EA and BW are not in this for the long term. My view is that SWTOR was released to mitigate the loss of the $300m or whatever was pumped into the project, before other new MMOs take over as FOTM.

The MMO industry is a short term thing now. WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start. Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again. (in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

There is no need to wait 6 months to measure the success of SWTOR. By that time there will be Diablo 3 and GW2, and the same debate will start for those games.

Such is the state of the MMO industry.

I couldn't disagree more, WoW helped bolster the MMO market, there is significant room for growth and more potential for other MMO's to make it, regardless of niche. Saying a game is release to mitigate an investment is very, very naive.

Games are just like any other product, they are created for a purpose to render a profit, longevity plays a big part in any products successful roadmap, it is obvious Bioware knowns the potential reward, hence the heavy investment.

Edited by Gravetongue

IMHO, EA and BW are not in this for the long term. My view is that SWTOR was released to mitigate the loss of the $300m or whatever was pumped into the project, before other new MMOs take over as FOTM.

The MMO industry is a short term thing now. WoW lasted 7 years because it had a head start. Now, the release of MMO after MMO in waves means there will not be a juggernaut like WoW "to rule them all" for 7 years ever again. (in any case, most of the playerbase in WoW is botting anyways)

There is no need to wait 6 months to measure the success of SWTOR. By that time there will be Diablo 3 and GW2, and the same debate will start for those games.

No and no.. I will never play fail GL2 ill stick to this and wow

Diablo is not an mmo... and gw2 well... its not an mmo either. So... What exactly are you trying to say?

By the way... dont speak on my behalf cause starwars has done something I trully appreciate: NO ELVES.

Or Dwarves or Gnomes.. No happy happy rainbows on steroids (Aion), No monochromatic devastated wastelands with poo loads of the zones being desert or semi-deserts (Rift).. And no I won't be going back to Blizzard. They've burned that bridge.

Edited by Tahana

Please don't pretend to speak for me.

I've had enough sword and wizard games to last me a lifetime. Another game OR MMO based on MORE goblins and magic does NOTHING for me. I'd rather play DCUO...and I HATE SOE.

Diablo whatever, Guild Wars 2...more of the same old **edit**!

People will move on from this game for one and one reason alone, The poor design of the planets. The linearity and boredom to ever visit old content will lead to people simply waiting around for bioware to pump out new content which they won't be able to do fast enough to keep players interested . My prediction is this game will go F2PLAY by next Christmas.

The TOR franchise has been around since 2003 beginning with KOTOR, and has accumulated a hefty following right up through the Mass Effect series. Will SWTOR grow to 10M subscribers? Probably not because the MMO market is too diluted. But the Bioware / Lucas Valley Ranch conglomerate have a large enough core customer foundation to easily sustain the game's growth. I can see this game maintaining a subscriber base of 3M to 4M by year two once the gameplay becomes silky smooth.

So WE ALL will not be leaving SWTOR for D3 and GW2 in a few months. Though some of YOU might. :)

Edited by GalacticKegger