What is being done about the exploiters who made billions?

Rocketmanballs

Hey folks,

Keep in mind that we try to avoid talking about exploits and action taken against players. However, I know there is a bit of concern about this exploit and its implications on the game so here is where things stand.

We have already begun taking action against players, but the brunt of those actions are still to come. As you might imagine, gathering all of the data to understand who exploited and what they did with the money, takes quite a bit of time. Know that over time we will be applying account actions, along with removing a large quantity of credits and other ill-gotten gains.

Part of what takes so long is that some players know they are doing something they shouldn't and so they try to hide it. Moving credits around, using alt accounts, etc. It is important to us that we take appropriate action against each individual, and we are extra harsh against those who try to hide what they have done. Similarly, some players who participated have already self-reported either to Keith and myself, or to Customer Support. We absolutely take that into account when looking at what action we will take.

And again my usual thanks to the absolute vast majority of our players who helped in reporting the issue quickly and avoided using it.

TLDR - Some action has already happened with the brunt of it still to follow.

-eric

Well, want to be clear, from what I read in the forums it was fine to use the cheaper prices to buy gifts (from the NPC vendor) and gift up your companions, as long as you didn't exploit it for credits.

So, I bought gifts and used 'em on companions - I wasn't trying to gain boatloads of credits by buying them.

That's okay, right? Even if no reply, want this on record. XD

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, want to be clear, from what I read in the forums it was fine to use the cheaper prices to buy gifts (from the NPC vendor) and gift up your companions, as long as you didn't exploit it for credits.

So, I bought gifts and used 'em on companions - I wasn't trying to gain boatloads of credits by buying them.

That's okay, right? Even if no reply, want this on record. XD

If you didnt sell anything back to the vendor.....your good and wont suffer any repercussions.

First we have:

What is being done about the exploiters who made billions by buying companion gifts and selling them back? If you don't take away their money I'm gonna be pissed that I didn't exploit as well.

Why don't you just worry about you? :t_eek:

then, later:

Perma ban and acount removed for good, thets the way you handle any cheat/exploit or hacks. Simple as thet. If you alow players thet done anything like thet to come back or stay then why should we thet plays fair care? Or is it so few players left thet you cant aford perma ban them ?

Punishment and rehabilitation for a "crime" like theft. No need to bring the death penalty for such a minor infraction.

These two reply posts are what one could expect from someone who exploited and is now worried about the consequences of their actions. I'm not saying that the poster who responded was an exploiter, only that telling someone who inquires about what actions will be taken against the exploiters to "worry about themselves" and then wants the exploiters to be able to keep their accounts despite the harm that those exploiters caused the game displays attitudes that would be consistent with those that one could expect from someone who is worried about possible actions for having exploited.

IMO, permaban and total loss of account would be the correct action to be taken against any exploiter who does not come forth voluntarily and confess to Eric or Keith. Those that come forth voluntarily and confess to Eric or Keith should lose all credits on their account as well as any items they may have purchased since the date of the exploit. Anything less sends the wrong message, IMO.

Some credit sinks that I think would work.

All items for sale on a vendor, bind on pickup, stack to 10, applies buff that can be right clicked to remove except for obvious "per charge" items. Buffs do not work in PVP.

1) 150 percent XP boost

Lasts for 30 minutes, costs 250000 credits. Does not persist through death/logout.

2) 25 percent secondary stat boost

Lasts for 60 minutes, costs 25000 credits Persists through death/logout.

3) Holographic buff

Lasts for 15 minutes, costs 150000 credits each, allows you to look like different characters from the game...like a droid, game character, etc. Good example would be a buff that can turn you into a Jawa or Wampa. Combat or cutscene cancels the effect.

4) 25 percent run buff

Lasts for 30 minutes, costs 15000 credits, increases run speed by 25 percent in and out of combat. Persists through mounts and rocket boost but does not stack, cancelled by death or logout.

5) Combat droid/animal buff

Lasts for 5 minutes or until death, costs 50000 credits, allows you to summon a basic combat droid or animal to assist you in your battles. Different types of droids and animals are available (Support (heal), Crowd control, Combat (DPS). Your current level determines health. Only one summon allowed at a time, group rules apply.

Improved versions last longer but cost more. 10 and 15 minute summons with 15/30 percent more heath and power which cost 100k/150k and a 60 minutes heavy droid/animal that has a 50 percent boost and does not despawn until your death or his (or logout) for 1 million credits each.

6) Group summon

Allows you to summon group member to your location. Summoning in an instance summons the group member to the entrance. Two levels...planet summon is 10k each, galaxy summon is 100k each. 30 second cooldown.

7) Quick cloaks

Allows you to break agro and leave combat, cloaking you temporarily. Must be in combat to use. Cloak lasts for 5 seconds (similar to respawn mechanic) with a countdown. 100k each. 45 second cooldown.

8) Solo Shield generator and Healing bot

Summons a shield generator or small healing bot that protects you with a moderate heal/shield for 10 seconds. Scales with level. 50k each. Does not work with companions present or in a group. 45 second cooldown.

Just a few of the consumables I believe would chew up quite a few credits. Many of these items would appeal to casual and/or solo players.

Edited by LordArtemis

First we have:

then, later:

These two reply posts are what one could expect from someone who exploited and is now worried about the consequences of their actions. I'm not saying that the poster who responded was an exploiter, only that telling someone who inquires about what actions will be taken against the exploiters to "worry about themselves" and then wants the exploiters to be able to keep their accounts despite the harm that those exploiters caused the game displays attitudes that would be consistent with those that one could expect from someone who is worried about possible actions for having exploited.

IMO, permaban and total loss of account would be the correct action to be taken against any exploiter who does not come forth voluntarily and confess to Eric or Keith. Those that come forth voluntarily and confess to Eric or Keith should lose all credits on their account as well as any items they may have purchased since the date of the exploit. Anything less sends the wrong message, IMO.

Perma ban isn't necessary to be honest! I'd strip their entire account however.:rak_03:

Some credit sinks that I think would work.

All items for sale on a vendor, bind on pickup, stack to 10, applies buff that can be right clicked to remove except for obvious "per charge" items. Buffs do not work in PVP.

1) 150 percent XP boost

Lasts for 30 minutes, costs 250000 credits. Does not persist through death/logout.

2) 25 percent secondary stat boost

Lasts for 60 minutes, costs 25000 credits Persists through death/logout.

3) Holographic buff

Lasts for 15 minutes, costs 150000 credits each, allows you to look like different characters from the game...like a droid, game character, etc. Good example would be a buff that can turn you into a Jawa or Wampa. Combat or cutscene cancels the effect.

4) 25 percent run buff

Lasts for 30 minutes, costs 15000 credits, increases run speed by 25 percent in and out of combat. Persists through mounts and rocket boost but does not stack, cancelled by death or logout.

5) Combat droid/animal buff

Lasts for 5 minutes or until death, costs 50000 credits, allows you to summon a basic combat droid or animal to assist you in your battles. Different types of droids and animals are available (Support (heal), Crowd control, Combat (DPS). Your current level determines health. Only one summon allowed at a time, group rules apply.

Improved versions last longer but cost more. 10 and 15 minute summons with 15/30 percent more heath and power which cost 100k/150k and a 60 minutes heavy droid/animal that has a 50 percent boost and does not despawn until your death or his (or logout) for 1 million credits each.

6) Group summon

Allows you to summon group member to your location. Summoning in an instance summons the group member to the entrance. Two levels...planet summon is 10k each, galaxy summon is 100k each. 30 second cooldown.

7) Quick cloaks

Allows you to break agro and leave combat, cloaking you temporarily. Must be in combat to use. Cloak lasts for 5 seconds (similar to respawn mechanic) with a countdown. 100k each. 45 second cooldown.

8) Solo Shield generator and Healing bot

Summons a shield generator or small healing bot that protects you with a moderate heal/shield for 10 seconds. Scales with level. 50k each. Does not work with companions present or in a group. 45 second cooldown.

Just a few of the consumables I believe would chew up quite a few credits. Many of these items would appeal to casual and/or solo players.

They need to be cosmetic. Anything that gives an advantage makes it pay to win. Pay to win is bad.

Perma ban isn't necessary to be honest! I'd strip their entire account however.:rak_03:

I agree about not perma banning, If they don’t perma ban hackers the first 20 times they get caught, then perma banning for an exploit like this would be harsh.

If they did have a consistently clear policy and we all knew what the penalties were, then I would agree to perma bans. But if they aren’t going to be consistent between all cheats, then I won’t support something like a perma ban for just one group of cheats.

I’m not sure what the punishment should be. I know stripping credits won’t work properly because most of them have spread credits around to people they know and will just get them back.

Know that over time we will be applying account actions, along with removing a large quantity of credits and other ill-gotten gains.

So just a question if I may. I mean this is not the first time people used an exploit and ruined the economy more or less. So what if a guy got billions of credits in whatever way this exploit worked and spent these credits by buying all kinds of expensive stuff from the GTN or something like that.

These credits are now in the hands of innocent players who sold these items via the GTN. They are not at fault so you can't remove those credits fairly, but they are an influx of credits yet again into the already blown up economy.

I'm sure anything will help a bit, but chances are a lot of credits have been spent especially now they figured they might be in trouble. I believe in punishing these guys and banning them if so deserved but the damage to the economy...well, do you really believe you can fix that damage? It seems to me that the credits are already in the economy and probably not in the hands of the guilty parties anymore. So the damage is done.

They need to be cosmetic. Anything that gives an advantage makes it pay to win. Pay to win is bad.

I would disagree. There are already items sold on vendors that give an advantage....heals and buffs.

Selling items like this on a vendor for credits is not an example of pay to win IMO, no more than any other similar mechanic would be. Now, if they were sold in the Cartel Market....perhaps.

The point is to create desirable items folks would purchase from vendors on a regular basis to burn currency in game.

I would disagree. There are already items sold on vendors that give an advantage....heals and buffs.

Selling items like this on a vendor for credits is not an example of pay to win IMO, no more than any other similar mechanic would be. Now, if they were sold in the Cartel Market....perhaps.

The point is to create desirable items folks would purchase from vendors on a regular basis to burn currency in game.

I completely disagree with you on this. What you suggest are additional buffs and some game breaking stuff that are essentially extra skills on a skill bar and give an advantage over players who don't have them (like the shield).

Also it does NOTHING against the billions and billions of credits that are brought into the economy by these exploiters.

The idea that people can buy something from a vendor by itself is not a bad concept because it takes credits out of the game again but it cannot be something that is targeted at the larger player base, which is what you're doing here.

Overpriced cosmetic items that are bought with credits is much better because it gives no advantage in gameplay...just bragging rights. In game mounts that cost 100-500 million each in different variations. These are prices that are common for rare items on the GTN mind you.

Not that many people could afford them and that makes them worthwhile and it takes credits out of the game at much more significant rates. Also the billions of credits that some people have are all about cosmetics to begin with.

All gameplay items are at fixed prices and all boosts are pretty much achievable through gameplay. You get major xp boosts from doing the story. CXP boosts come from crates and command tokens and stims/adrenals are craftable items.

What you are doing is increasing the price of gameplay and this affects players also who don't have a lot of credits and feel they are second rate if they can't afford this, while the affluent players laugh at these amounts of credits. And you may see them as optional but some of these suggestions will not be seen as optional stuff to have, just as much as you are expected to have stims in raids. But those you can craft cheaply with a small effort and many gladly hand some out to fellow players as it is since the crafters tend to have too many themselves.

Sorry but I think you are entirely barking up the wrong tree with this.

I completely disagree with you on this. What you suggest are additional buffs and some game breaking stuff that are essentially extra skills on a skill bar and give an advantage over players who don't have them (like the shield).

Also it does NOTHING against the billions and billions of credits that are brought into the economy by these exploiters.

The idea that people can buy something from a vendor by itself is not a bad concept because it takes credits out of the game again but it cannot be something that is targeted at the larger player base, which is what you're doing here.

Overpriced cosmetic items that are bought with credits is much better because it gives no advantage in gameplay...just bragging rights. In game mounts that cost 100-500 million each in different variations. These are prices that are common for rare items on the GTN mind you.

Not that many people could afford them and that makes them worthwhile and it takes credits out of the game at much more significant rates. Also the billions of credits that some people have are all about cosmetics to begin with.

All gameplay items are at fixed prices and all boosts are pretty much achievable through gameplay. You get major xp boosts from doing the story. CXP boosts come from crates and command tokens and stims/adrenals are craftable items.

What you are doing is increasing the price of gameplay and this affects players also who don't have a lot of credits and feel they are second rate if they can't afford this, while the affluent players laugh at these amounts of credits. And you may see them as optional but some of these suggestions will not be seen as optional stuff to have, just as much as you are expected to have stims in raids. But those you can craft cheaply with a small effort and many gladly hand some out to fellow players as it is since the crafters tend to have too many themselves.

Sorry but I think you are entirely barking up the wrong tree with this.

Fair enough. Discourse is healthy, but obviously I completely disagree with you, not only with your conclusions but with the nature of what I suggested.

I think it would be very effective and most certainly NOT game breaking, no more than items already in game.

You already have the opportunity to play with a droid as a third companion in heroics.

You can already use heals and shields without a companion on certain missions.

You already have crafted buffs that provide temporary shields, stat buffs of all kinds, etc.

You can already summon players if they are part of your guild.

You already have abilities that provide a boost to run speed, even in combat.

You already have the non-agro countdown mechanic as part of the on-spot revive process after death.

You already have XP boosts you can purchase in the Cartel Market, get from class missions, and from events.

The rest, for the most part, is cosmetic. And the buffs would not work in PVP.

Many of the non-cosmetic items I suggested already exist in the game in some form. This simply affords the player more control over those mechanics, and takes credits out of circulation.

IMO one could perhaps argue that since all of this exists already it is either redundant or would not sell well, both valid arguments.

Edited by LordArtemis

Fair enough. Discourse is healthy, but obviously I completely disagree with you, not only with your conclusions but with the nature of what I suggested.

I think it would be very effective and most certainly NOT game breaking, no more than items already in game.

You already have the opportunity to play with a droid as a third companion in heroics.

You can already use heals and shields without a companion on certain missions.

You already have crafted buffs that provide temporary shields, stat buffs of all kinds, etc.

You can already summon players if they are part of your guild.

You already have abilities that provide a boost to run speed, even in combat.

You already have the non-agro countdown mechanic as part of the on-spot revive process after death.

You already have XP boosts you can purchase in the Cartel Market, get from class missions, and from events.

The rest, for the most part, is cosmetic. And the buffs would not work in PVP.

Many of the non-cosmetic items I suggested already exist in the game in some form. This simply affords the player more control over those mechanics, and takes credits out of circulation.

IMO one could perhaps argue that since all of this exists already it is either redundant or would not sell well, both valid arguments.

Nope, nope, nope.

Very bad idea.

This game already takes you by the hand for all of its content until lvl 70

Every solo content has been made so much easier, to a point that most players complain when reaching lvl 70 because they find this new content «hard»... even though it's just the game that was too easy before, to a point that learning how to play isn't necessary at all.

New items that would affect gameplay to make it easier isn't what this game needs right now, it is already too easy right now . :/

.... Many of the non-cosmetic items I suggested already exist in the game in some form. This simply affords the player more control over those mechanics, and takes credits out of circulation....

I don't think any of this would be particularly effective in taking credits out of circulation. Players who have amassed "billions" have been around for a while and have powerful enough characters that these "bonuses" would not be worth the expenditure. All that would happen, in my opinion, is that new players without credits would be more driven to go to gold sellers to buy credits to obtain these bonuses.

Nope, nope, nope.

Very bad idea.

Every solo content has been made so much easier, to a point that most players complain when reaching lvl 70 because they find this new content «hard»... even though it's just the game that was too easy before, to a point that learning how to play isn't necessary at all.

New items that would affect gameplay to make it easier isn't what this game needs right now, it is already too easy right now . :/

I strongly disagree. The game is not "too easy" right now compared to the past. It is much MUCH easier than it was in the past in general at end game, as all games are with time.

However, it was MUCH MUCH easier when there was no level sync. There is absolutely no valid argument that states that the game is easier now with level sync than it was prior to it....grey mobs could not kill you, they couldnt even DAMAGE you unless they used area attacks. Content too difficult? Outlevel it. Then it is cakewalk.

It is impossible to outlevel content at this point.

I could solo world bosses. So no. The game was easier BEFORE level sync, not after.

You could argue the game is too easy period (as you pointed out). That is a valid argument IMO. But not that it has been MADE easier. It has not.

You want to say the game is too easy at present, my suggestion would make it easier and that is bad, valid argument IMO. I don't agree, but it is a valid point none the less.

Edited by LordArtemis

I think it would be nice if they identify the exploit account, and all laundered accounts. Then remove ALL items from ALL characters for each of those accounts, including gear, inventory, storage and legacy storage. And remove all currencies. You basically get to keep your nekkid characters. If you gave any credits to friends, they can thank you for the losses.

That sounds fair. Keep in mind, that means even if they sold a crappy item for tons of cash from one acct to the others to launder, no safety there.

I don't think any of this would be particularly effective in taking credits out of circulation. Players who have amassed "billions" have been around for a while and have powerful enough characters that these "bonuses" would not be worth the expenditure. All that would happen, in my opinion, is that new players without credits would be more driven to go to gold sellers to buy credits to obtain these bonuses.

Although I think it is a stretch to equate my suggestion with a drive to purchase coin, IMO you make a compelling argument.

Nope, nope, nope.

Very bad idea.

I have to agree with this assessment. The overall simplifications to the game beginning back with 4.0 I think were good for an MMO going on 4 years old at that time. It makes the onramp for newer and/or less experienced players much smoother (as opposed to being perpetually left out and behind the curve compared to veteran players). We simply do not need even more simplifications at this point as it's very easy to play from level one onward.

Edited by Andryah

Hey folks,

Keep in mind that we try to avoid talking about exploits and action taken against players. However, I know there is a bit of concern about this exploit and its implications on the game so here is where things stand.

We have already begun taking action against players, but the brunt of those actions are still to come. As you might imagine, gathering all of the data to understand who exploited and what they did with the money, takes quite a bit of time. Know that over time we will be applying account actions, along with removing a large quantity of credits and other ill-gotten gains.

Part of what takes so long is that some players know they are doing something they shouldn't and so they try to hide it. Moving credits around, using alt accounts, etc. It is important to us that we take appropriate action against each individual, and we are extra harsh against those who try to hide what they have done. Similarly, some players who participated have already self-reported either to Keith and myself, or to Customer Support. We absolutely take that into account when looking at what action we will take.

And again my usual thanks to the absolute vast majority of our players who helped in reporting the issue quickly and avoided using it.

TLDR - Some action has already happened with the brunt of it still to follow.

-eric

Can you pls leave their posting privileges intact so we can hear them whine on the forums? :p

I so miss the whining of cheaters :D

They could just increase ingame "tax" a bit to drain out credits. Biggest would be possible make GTN commission 7 or 8%, yes people will increase selling price to recover the percent lost but it will still remove credits from the game. Decreasing some prices would also work like on companion gifts. This may help in two ways, remove credits from the game and increase supply, possibly lowering GTN prices as well.

They could just increase ingame "tax" a bit to drain out credits. Biggest would be possible make GTN commission 7 or 8%, yes people will increase selling price to recover the percent lost but it will still remove credits from the game. Decreasing some prices would also work like on companion gifts. This may help in two ways, remove credits from the game and increase supply, possibly lowering GTN prices as well.

No, they could ban all the exploiters which they should've done from the first second of the exploit