Possibility that those who missed DvL may have another chance to earn Master Ranos?

TheParagade

Having read through the first 9 pages, I skipped ahead. This thread is no different than all those other "Can we get <companion> / <toy> / <whatever>?" threads that have been popping up for the last 4 years because people missed out on getting those shiny little pixels that subscribers got.

The bottom line as of right now is: You didn't meet the requirements, so the answer is "No." Sorry but that's the way it is. That's the way it goes. I'm in that same boat for items I've missed out on.

Now in most cases, I'd say let them buy it on the CM if they're so inclined to spend their money in support of the game. If those who already have reward X had to sub for 7 months to get said reward, people should have to sub for 7 months consecutively or pay 3500 cc (7 months worth of cc stipend) - I'm leaning more towards the 3500 cc since many people have subbed for much longer periods, but would receive nothing outside of those special promotional periods (gotta keep things fair, yes?).

In this case, though, Master Ranos was one of two possible rewards. Those that did the grind and earned her put in a lot of time and effort. Now Darth Hexid is being literally given away just for logging in and basically playing the game.

If they bring the DvL event back, and didn't change the companion rewards, many people would not participate because there would be nothing in it for them, or those that participated in last year's event would go Dark next time around to get the opposing companion (which of course could not be Hexid as she's being given away this month).

And, most importantly, if they did change the companion rewards then this whole thread is moot since Master Ranos (or Darth Hexid) won't be a reward possibility for any future DvL event.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now in most cases, I'd say let them buy it on the CM if they're so inclined to spend their money in support of the game.

(Not picking on you here, P, just want to address this point itself)

THAT'S exactly why EA are getting a hard time right now, and why we have games that are more interested in micro-transactions than adding real content.

Edited by CrazyCT

Having read through the first 9 pages, I skipped ahead. This thread is no different than all those other "Can we get <companion> / <toy> / <whatever>?" threads that have been popping up for the last 4 years because people missed out on getting those shiny little pixels that subscribers got.

The bottom line as of right now is: You didn't meet the requirements, so the answer is "No." Sorry but that's the way it is. That's the way it goes. I'm in that same boat for items I've missed out on.

Now in most cases, I'd say let them buy it on the CM if they're so inclined to spend their money in support of the game. If those who already have reward X had to sub for 7 months to get said reward, people should have to sub for 7 months consecutively or pay 3500 cc (7 months worth of cc stipend) - I'm leaning more towards the 3500 cc since many people have subbed for much longer periods, but would receive nothing outside of those special promotional periods (gotta keep things fair, yes?).

In this case, though, Master Ranos was one of two possible rewards. Those that did the grind and earned her put in a lot of time and effort. Now Darth Hexid is being literally given away just for logging in and basically playing the game.

If they bring the DvL event back, and didn't change the companion rewards, many people would not participate because there would be nothing in it for them, or those that participated in last year's event would go Dark next time around to get the opposing companion (which of course could not be Hexid as she's being given away this month).

And, most importantly, if they did change the companion rewards then this whole thread is moot since Master Ranos (or Darth Hexid) won't be a reward possibility for any future DvL event.

There is ultimately no harm whatsoever in asking BW to return this, or other promotions. Them, and only them, are the ones who can deny or accept it.

You know what baffles me? The fact that some pathetic lowlifes have to boycott someone's attempt at getting something they already have.

Let's expose clearly the case:

1- Ranos (Hexid, Shroud of Memory, Vizla etc...) were limited time promotions or events. People who did not qualify and did not meet the requirements, shouldnt have them. As of now, they dont have them. Rules are rules, and rules say then didnt meet the requirements, therefore they dont have the stuff if they didnt meet requirements. But rules can be changed, despite some ppl fearing changes as if it were doomsday. The conservatist ideology has been holding humanity back since we exist.

2- Johnny wants something he is not entitled to have. He goes and asks for it. What truly astonishes me is that Timmy, who qualified for the rewards, does NOT want Johnny to have it.

It is BW the one that should accept, deny or plainly ignore Johnny's request. The fact that Timmy boycotts Johnny's attempt says how cruel and selfish of a wretch Timmy is, considering it doesnt affect him whatsoever. Timmy could solidarize and be generous with Johnny, or at the very least IGNORE the issue, not directly take part against Johnny's request.

One has to have a truly twisted, triggered butthurt mind in order to go against a fellow player's request. What, you do have already what's being asked? Then refrain from the discussion, ignore it and move along.

But no. They cant ignore it, the sad fact is that they want the request to ultimately fail so that they can still feel a bit more exclusive in a game, maybe to compensate RL issues.

Somebody who so dedicately boycotts this requests (and we all know a few individuals who do) tries to argue that the focus of the request is on the 'bullies'. Yes, it is. I have exclusive stuff and i wouldnt care if others had it, because im happy with my stuff, not with others NOT having stuff.

THAT is what's truly sad every time these threads come up. The focus ultimately goes on the 'bullies' because they have no reason whatsoever to bully, to begin with. Hence, the manipulation they make "oh so i'm the bully now, arent I?" yes you are and you behave wrong as a fellow gamer and as a human in general, instead of just moving along and letting others try having what they want, instead of actively going against them.

In the end, it's not the request to have stuff what is being discussed, actually. It's the inability of some players to give up their exclusivity so that others can ask for something they want. And those 'elite' players show such behaviors just because they are hidden behind their laptop, because irl they would be labelled as what they truly are. Talk about hypocrisy.

And you know the best part? The 'bullies' ultimately know, deep inside, that their attitude is wrong. The rules per se may be wrong or right, but the attitude itself is wrong. And they willingly choose to follow such attitude. Talk about nazis. Talk about slavery. They were following rules, orders. Yes, these are exagerations, but ultimately the attitude remains.

Edited by DeVanagloris

I have to agree that it takes a certain kind of sadness in your own life to completely deny others getting something. In no way should people just be given the items IF everyone else had to work for them though. This doesn't mean an event can't be brought back to allow the opportunity for more people to achieve those rewards. Why should a player be punished if they missed an event due to real life things, or maybe hadn't started playing the game yet.

I was deployed overseas during the DvL event, so that means i should never have a chance to earn those items? Like someone else said, be happy with what you have not with what others don't.

It's sad too see how many people of the new generation of gamers want to gain exclusive rewards that other had to work for, for free, I get that the younger generation of gamers (and perhaps some old gamers that recently discovered swtor) feel they are getting this companion, but that is not the case. It was a reward for sticking with the game, playing it a lot during a summer which is normally a "low" period in gaming overall and doing loads of diverse content.

I am happy to see the DvL event return and even reward the armor that boost experiance gain, but I really hope that it comes with a new companion next time, and not repeating the same rewards.

(Not picking on you here, P, just want to address this point itself)

THAT'S exactly why EA are getting a hard time right now, and why we have games that are more interested in micro-transactions than adding real content.

I know we've usually seen eye to eye on things in the past. I guess I'm at the point now where it's like a spoiled child screaming in the background "Can I have a cookie?" 10,000 times. I guess I'm tired of hearing it and willing to compromise. In this case, if they're willing to pay, what I consider, an outrageous price for the item (or a comparable item like the celebration jawa in place of the party jawa), then I just don't really care to argue against it.

In all actuality, I'm against RMT/MT's in games. I've never bought CC, and I never will. Any CM item I've purchased or Legacy unlocks has come from whatever I have from my monthly grants or paid for with credits if that's an option.

There is ultimately no harm whatsoever in asking BW to return this, or other promotions. Them, and only them, are the ones who can deny or accept it.

You're right. There's no harm in asking. But when you (they) get on a public forum and post a thread asking, it's going to draw undesired attention. That's just an honest truth. When someone answers with the simple fact that in order to get those items, you have to have met the requirements for it, someone has to argue the point. It just escalates from there. It has in every other post asking for something similar.

If those people want to avoid such an argument, then they should contact customer service and not post an open request on the forums. If you call customer service and they say to post the question on the forums, then that CSR does not deserve their job. It's a simple matter with a simple answer.

Edited by PorsaLindahl

The Op asked if there was a chance.

Short answer "No."

That has nothing to do with my preferences or if I have or don't have Ramos. I don't see Bioware going back and doing any kind of event that would allow you to earn her. I don't recall too many times where they revisted old events. Replayed a few mini ones like Gree and Bounties sure, but the larger ones....

I guess I'm at the point now where it's like a spoiled child screaming in the background "Can I have a cookie?" 10,000 times.

I'm getting close to that point myself. Tired of the same arguments over and over again. Some people just can't take "No" as an answer.

Not from you, no. Because it is not, nor will it ever be, your answer to give.

And you just can't accept it when people give perfectly logical, well-reasoned opinions on the thing that you asked about publicly. :t_rolleyes:

Yes, it is up to BW to ultimately give an answer. And they have. Their silence speaks volumes. They know better than to tell all of the players who spent so much time and effort to earn Ranos that their dedication means nothing. Even BW isn't that stupid.

And you just can't accept it when people give perfectly logical, well-reasoned opinions on the thing that you asked about publicly. :t_rolleyes:

Yes, it is up to BW to ultimately give an answer. And they have. Their silence speaks volumes. They know better than to tell all of the players who spent so much time and effort to earn Ranos that their dedication means nothing. Even BW isn't that stupid.

"muh exclusives" is anything but well-reasoned. "I want to be special" carries no weight outside yourself, sorry.

And unless I missed a rando post, no one asked for Ranos for free, which I agree would trivialize the effort put in last year. Most seemed to agree if she should return it should be as part of a new DvL or comparable event. There was also teh suggestion of CM, but I think the former is still better. Pay2win is never a good idea.

And no, their silence doesn't speak volumes, given silence is their default setting.

It may not be. But it's an answer based on facts. Not just an arbitrary "No."

If you say so:rolleyes:

"muh exclusives" is anything but well-reasoned. "I want to be special" carries no weight outside yourself, sorry.

And unless I missed a rando post, no one asked for Ranos for free, which I agree would trivialize the effort put in last year. Most seemed to agree if she should return it should be as part of a new DvL or comparable event. There was also teh suggestion of CM, but I think the former is still better. Pay2win is never a good idea.

And no, their silence doesn't speak volumes, given silence is their default setting.

If you say so:rolleyes:

It's also bad practice if they re enabled exclusive items which they already have with the 1.0 speeders which people spent hundreds of millions on into the CM XP boxes, so who knows they might add it again might not.

Exclusives turn people on to paying for something because its exclusive, meaning that if you missed it you missed it big deal, they can always make new companions later on.

It's also bad practice if they re enabled exclusive items which they already have with the 1.0 speeders which people spent hundreds of millions on into the CM XP boxes, so who knows they might add it again might not.

Exclusives turn people on to paying for something because its exclusive, meaning that if you missed it you missed it big deal, they can always make new companions later on.

Years of exclusivity is exclusive enough. I see no reason why it should stay exclusive till the end of time. Plus exclusivity as the sole reason you want/get the shiny is foolish. There must be something intrinsic to the shiny that draws you, apart from the consequence of exclusivity. If it drew you (and got you to cough up money), it can do so again for new people. And it should, because that's more money for zero effort on the company's part (no need to make a new shiny, or even reskin). Plus, it has built in and built up desirability that a new shiny will not. There is already demand for the hutt trainer, or Nico or Shae. Who knows if people will care about Comp #2342. I mean, some will. But still, you're ignoring proven demand.

Anyway, in this case the request is even simpler (it always is, when money's not involved). Event for reward in the past, event for reward now.

Their silence is just silence, it is most definitely NOT an answer. As long as it stays silence, people can keep asking about this stuff, and neither you nor anyone outside of BW has the authority to answer with a "no". This is a fact.

Outside that fact, there is also the fact that some players are trying to boycott other players' request, for no reason whatsoever, out of the former wanting to stay special snowflakes and having exclusive stuff. As i said in my previous post, rules are rules but thankfully they can be changed, otherwise we would still be living in the middle ages. Wether each particular individual defends the established rules or not is something attributable to each person, even though, deep inside, we ALL know that saying no to these requests, though it is right according to the rules, it is wrong ethically and morally. You are denying something which would bring just happiness and satisfaction to a person, and would in no way do harm to you, and that is plain and simply wong.

And keep in mind at no point did i say they should "give" this stuff. If they ever made it all available, it should be for the proper amount of grind, such as the DvL event, or for the proper amount of subscription time, such as with Vizla, Okarr, or Shroud of Memory.

Years of exclusivity is exclusive enough. I see no reason why it should stay exclusive till the end of time. Plus exclusivity as the sole reason you want/get the shiny is foolish. There must be something intrinsic to the shiny that draws you, apart from the consequence of exclusivity. If it drew you (and got you to cough up money), it can do so again for new people. And it should, because that's more money for zero effort on the company's part (no need to make a new shiny, or even reskin). Plus, it has built in and built up desirability that a new shiny will not. There is already demand for the hutt trainer, or Nico or Shae. Who knows if people will care about Comp #2342. I mean, some will. But still, you're ignoring proven demand.

Anyway, in this case the request is even simpler (it always is, when money's not involved). Event for reward in the past, event for reward now.

How about the satisfaction of putting in the effort to earn something that not everybody else is going to have. It's like getting badge or a trophy. People will wonder how you got it and then realize that there are perks to putting in more effort or paying attention to what's going on in the game. They won't want to miss out, so they'll do the special stuff in the future.

If they make the special shiny things available later, then there was no point to making it special at the time. There is no incentive, no sense of urgency to acquire it. I think it's cool to see when people have things that aren't available anymore. It adds an element of appreciation for what people have done or how long they've been around or whatever.

Pout about it all you want, but producers know that these things motivate people. Your current reaction to the situation is evidence of that. :t_cool:

I wouldn't mind having the DvL event return, it was a rewarding experience for a lot of people and the chance to gain super rare armours and weapons is something to consider.

I'm not like the rest here all saying no due to entitlement because frankly it isn't justified as being anything more than an excuse. So do i mind if it returns? No problem with having it back at all.

Their silence is just silence, it is most definitely NOT an answer. As long as it stays silence, people can keep asking about this stuff...

Hence my statement, earlier, about a child in the back seat asking for cookies repeatedly. True, silence is not an answer. But if the slot machine fiasco is any indicator, silence does mean "No" or "We're just going to ignore you, so we don't have to answer that question definitively."

But this thread isn't about those other rewards. It's asking for Master Ranos. And I think that a perfectly logical explanation has been given as to why she won't be able to be given as a reward for any future DvL events.

Guys, this isnt work. This is entertainment. I would assume that you meant to say was EFFORT.

And yes, folks that qualified in the past certainly deserve recognition, for whatever the reasons were at the time. However, the game has demonstrated time and time again that exclusivity is something that is fleeting here.

Some items have remained exclusive, others have not. So, i would point out to both sides that anything is possible, but I wouldn't get your hopes up....and note, that goes for BOTH sides of the issue.

Folks that would like access might not get it. But they might despite despite the feelings of players that did qualify. I suppose it all depends on Biowares viewpoint on the issue, and that is anyones guess.

I would like to see players get another chance. I don't require or demand exclusivity. They are only pixels after all. And I had them long before anyone else, so there's that.

Edited by LordArtemis

How about the satisfaction of putting in the effort to earn something that not everybody else is going to have. It's like getting badge or a trophy. People will wonder how you got it and then realize that there are perks to putting in more effort or paying attention to what's going on in the game. They won't want to miss out, so they'll do the special stuff in the future.

If they make the special shiny things available later, then there was no point to making it special at the time. There is no incentive, no sense of urgency to acquire it. I think it's cool to see when people have things that aren't available anymore. It adds an element of appreciation for what people have done or how long they've been around or whatever.

Pout about it all you want, but producers know that these things motivate people. Your current reaction to the situation is evidence of that. :t_cool:

If you do the work, you get the thing. That's it. Whether some one else gets it or not is irrelevant. I would never argue to remove requirements for things that actually require effort to achieve (like raid or PVP shinies, or indeed event shinies). But wanting only yourself to get something? Yeah, no. That's entitlement/special snowflake status, whatever you want to call it. And it's even more annoying than someone who just asks for something because of the extra self-righteousness you seem to get about it.

I'm all for people "wondering how you got it and realizing they may need to do something different" if they want it. But then to turn around and go "also guess what, you can't get it, ever, haha stupid noob, tough **** neener-neener"? Yeah **** that. That's a dick move, plain and simple. If it's not special forever, it's not special at all? What kind of childish nonsense is that? Nothing is special forever. Everything becomes mundane or irrelevant. Or both.

And lol @ the last line. The only thing that motivates me here is curbing this little elitism club you've got going on here. People shouldn't be scared off just because they want a shiny.

If you do the work, you get the thing. That's it. Whether some one else gets it or not is irrelevant. I would never argue to remove requirements for things that actually require effort to achieve (like raid or PVP shinies, or indeed event shinies). But wanting only yourself to get something? Yeah, no. That's entitlement/special snowflake status, whatever you want to call it. And it's even more annoying than someone who just asks for something because of the extra self-righteousness you seem to get about it.

I'm all for people "wondering how you got it and realizing they may need to do something different" if they want it. But then to turn around and go "also guess what, you can't get it, ever, haha stupid noob, tough **** neener-neener"? Yeah **** that. That's a dick move, plain and simple. If it's not special forever, it's not special at all? What kind of childish nonsense is that? Nothing is special forever. Everything becomes mundane or irrelevant. Or both.

And lol @ the last line. The only thing that motivates me here is curbing this little elitism club you've got going on here. People shouldn't be scared off just because they want a shiny.

How in the world is it elitist to state that those who met the requirements deserve the thing and those who didn't meet the requirements don't deserve the thing?

To state otherwise is just underscores your false sense of entitlement. It's really not in BW's best interest to bring back this particular reward, even if they do the event again. The whole point was to choose one side over the other and re rewarded. Since Darth Hexid is being released outside of the DvL event, there is no longer a competing reward. They are better off coming up with something new altogether.

It's like demanding (or asking politely) that Ranked PvP Season 1 rewards be made available again. It would be a complete waste of an event. Those who already earned those rewards would have no incentive to participate (ignore the "bragging rights" aspect of PvP for a moment). If they did that with DvL, what would those who already did it be working for?

So get off your high horse. Everybody had the same opportunity to earn this reward. Some chose to do the things to earn her. Others (myself included) chose not to. We all had the same opportunity.

We all had the same opportunity.

If anything, this simple sentence says it all. Unless you were banned from the game during the DvL event, BW gave you the opportunity to earn the rewards. Not playing the game at the time of the event does not mean you didn't have the opportunity. The event was advertised in advance. The opportunity was there. You just didn't take advantage of it while it was available.

....its not work. It's effort, This is a video game, not a job.

I acknowledge and agree with your terminology note. I just hit post before I read your post.

Though going by some of these people's reactions, you'd never know all this was meant for entertainment.

How in the world is it elitist to state that those who met the requirements deserve the thing and those who didn't meet the requirements don't deserve the thing?

To state otherwise is just underscores your false sense of entitlement. It's really not in BW's best interest to bring back this particular reward, even if they do the event again. The whole point was to choose one side over the other and re rewarded. Since Darth Hexid is being released outside of the DvL event, there is no longer a competing reward. They are better off coming up with something new altogether.

It's like demanding (or asking politely) that Ranked PvP Season 1 rewards be made available again. It would be a complete waste of an event. Those who already earned those rewards would have no incentive to participate (ignore the "bragging rights" aspect of PvP for a moment). If they did that with DvL, what would those who already did it be working for?

So get off your high horse. Everybody had the same opportunity to earn this reward. Some chose to do the things to earn her. Others (myself included) chose not to. We all had the same opportunity.

It's not. It's elitist to refuse anyone else the chance to met the requirements, or in some cases create equivalent requirements because you want to be "special forever".

How are they better off coming up with something new? In this day and age of "recyle like **** because we're so short-staffed/low on resources", reusing existing assets to their maximum potential is 100% up their alley. It even makes poetic sense- recycled reward for recycled content. Sure I wouldn't say no, to a new shiny. But you are not justified in saying no to an old one for other people

I already addressed this. Go the reward token route and give players a choice- get the old shiny or the new. How does a new player get both? Do the event twice, just like everyone else. What could be fairer?

We'll ignore the "not everyone might've had the opportunity if they literally weren't here for whatever reason" for the time being and just go with- providing the event again gives new opportunity not reward. People still have to put in the... effort, to get the thing. As it should be.