6.1 Rating on metacritic

UNEEDSKILLZ

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break. Pro reviewers have to at least play through the content and take resposibility for what they write. They aren't always right, but at least they are informed and responsible. Player reviews, can't really assume anything, they could be PR cronnies for all you know, aside from the usual fanboys/haters.

How much content have they played thru? did they play to level 50?

They are PAID to do it. That's different then the GAMER's that are actually interested in it and will have an open mind as well as open eyes to whats good/bad about the game.

Fanboys/Haters...are not gamers...

Do you have any idea how much easier it is for companies to influence "player" reviews rather than pro ones? If not, you are the naive one.

I am kinda laughing at this. The mere fact a game appears to be popular will influence a review, or do you think the 8.5 Gamespot gave Warhammer was justified?

Really you making a bizarre assumption that the folks that run these review sites give a fig about honesty or integrity when the bottom line in well... on the line.

I mean G4tv gave the game 5/5. That would mean it is utterly perfect in every respect.

I still cannot believe you are trying to defend professional review sites. They are like user reviews nearly worthless.

Listen here, skippy. The fact that they've been "caught" is exactly what I mean about responsibility. Does that happen with anonymous player reviews made by PR agents?

The pro mags are influenced by the industry, and there is corruption, no doubt. But the fact that they can be called on it is important. And for the most part the pro reviewers have detailed and accurate comments on the games they are reviewing.

Do you have any idea how much easier it is for companies to influence "player" reviews rather than pro ones? If not, you are the naive one.

And has it changed one thing because they have been caught? Ummmm.....No. They keep merrily churning out crap and slap a "professional" stamp on it. It's been this way since the 1980's. It's just gotten worse as gaming has become big, and I mean freaking huge business.

Ignore the 0-3 and the 9-10 user reviews and actually read what the people giving it a score of 4-7 are writing and it pretty much hits the nail on the head. There are issues with this game. There are basic MMO features that are missing from this game. The "professional" reviewers are glossing over that and giving it a 88/100 while not really saying a damn thing. They are basically polishing EA's apple because they are more worried about losing those nice big fat advertising dollars that EA showers them with.

What kickbacks and payola are the player reviewers getting out of it? Yeah....

How much content have they played thru? did they play to level 50?

This is why many are holding off on reviews or giving reviews in progress.

They are PAID to do it. That's different then the GAMER's that are actually interested in it and will have an open mind as well as open eyes to whats good/bad about the game.

Game reviewers are gamers, my friend. I guess since movie critics are paid they don't really care about movies huh?

Fanboys/Haters...are not gamers...

Those are the people writing the "player" reviews, them and the PR cronies being paid to dupe you.

Game reviewers are gamers, my friend. I guess since movie critics are paid they don't really care about movies huh?

Those are the people writing the "player" reviews, them and the PR cronies being paid to dupe you.

I have to agree with what someone said earlier. Those sites recieve incentives. Which invalidates the integrity of their "review."

I also have to remind myself how many times ive read a review of a game, and often thought "where they playing SWTOR? or were they playing Super Star Wars on SNES?"

I'll say it again. Some of these "professionals" have no business reading the back of the box on the game. Much less reviewing it. And then the fact they are paid... just no.

they are working for a paycheck. They are not necessarily properly interested in said game to give it a fair review.

metacritic scores are dubious at best regardless of the medium. Take everything you read with a huge grain of salt. Ever been on Rotton tomatoes? Yes, almost every movie sucks. But almost EVERYONE reviewing stuff on Metacritic sites are 90% rotton.

Completely AGREE!

Edited by Jester-Head

http://www.gamespot.com/star-wars-the-old-republic/platform/pc

Weird. This one has more user votes than the one you linked and is 8.8

Let me quote just one of the 10/10 reviews.

Difficulty: Just Right

Time Spent: 100 or More Hours

The Bottom Line: "Amazing"

YEA YEA YEA IT'S SIMPLY THE BEST!

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEAOH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

OH YEA

OH YEA

SIMPLY THE BEST

OH YEA OH YEA

Yeah, he sounds legit. Sadly, that's pretty much what all the "reviews" are like there. Either "this game suxor" or what I quoted....I put a lot more stock when someone takes the time to actually say why the game is that great, or why they are giving it the review they are.

What kickbacks and payola are the player reviewers getting out of it? Yeah....

You aren't getting it. People get paid to write player reviews--positive and negative, depending on who is paying--by companies.

Both pro reviews and player reviews are manipulated by the industry. This happens when money is on the line.

Edited by SpringDrive

I have to agree with what someone said earlier. Those sites recieve incentives. Which invalidates the integrity of their "review."

I also have to remind myself how many times ive read a review of a game, and often thought "where they playing SWTOR? or were they playing Super Star Wars on SNES?"

I'll say it again. Some of these "professionals" have no business reading the back of the box on the game. Much less reviewing it. And then the fact they are paid... just no.

they are working for a paycheck. They are not necessarily properly interested in said game to give it a fair review.

...and a lot of your average user scores are posted by people who are pissed off that there isn't enough content to cater to their 18 hours of playtime a day. Or that their female character has a bubble butt. Or they don't have a personal Wardroid of Annihilation and Awesomeness. The list goes on. People are fickle.

I agree that professional gaming journalism is utter crap these days, but I think their opinions are still more legit than your average manbaby who plays MMOs for a living. At least that is my feeling on the topic.

lol. they are paid for their opinions. I see this stupid argument over and over again. I've read more than enough reviews of bad games to know they get paid whether the reviews are good or not.

I own DOAX2 and I love it, i love the bikini's the gambling and the vollyball, it got horrible reviews. I don't blame the reviewers. People need to realize there is a difference between liking something and that thing being good. A good critic has benchmarks that they hold everything up to, if it doesnt meet the standards it suffers, if it exceeds the standards than they are rewarded. It's not a coincidence or a conspiracy that AAA titles recieve AAA reviews. They're AAA because people spent a lot of time, tears and energy making something awesome. The reviews generally reflect this.

The problem with amateur reviews is that they are based off of the opinions of some random idiot, who is not a professional writer, has no insight into game design, has no training in any field related to the product they are judging other than their personal taste. Critics aren't supposed to judge based on their personal taste (it's impossible not too a bit though), they have their metrics that they judge by.

Heres another example. We'll host our own Dog Show. It will be open enrollment, prize winning purebreds and scruffy mutts too. the judges will be a bunch of goons from Gamefaqs and watch how a scruffy, poorly bred chiuahuah with one eye and no teeth wins. Because he's super cute, with his tongue hanging out!

Amateurs have no training/knowledge. Pros do. Leave the reviews to the pros. Or do what you're SUPPOSED to do, use the review as a guide to help make decisions not the end-all-be all.

You aren't getting it. People get paid to write player reviews--positive and negative, depending on who is paying--by companies.

Both pro reviews and player reviews are manipulated by the industry. This happens when money is on the line.

No, I get it. Your tinfoil hat is on way to tight.

...and a lot of your average user scores are posted by people who are pissed off that there isn't enough content to cater to their 18 hours of playtime a day. Or that their female character has a bubble butt. Or they don't have a personal Wardroid of Annihilation and Awesomeness. The list goes on. People are fickle.

I agree that professional gaming journalism is utter crap these days, but I think their opinions are still more legit than your average manbaby who plays MMOs for a living. At least that is my feeling on the topic.

While I agree, most of the user reviews are pretty garbage... Who in the hell would complain about their female character having a bubble butt? I'm loving it.

No, I get it. Your tinfoil hat is on way to tight.

They don't get caught much because, hey, it's just anonymous player reviews, who's even going to look into it? But trust me, it happens. PR firms do this kind of thing all the time.

http://techcrunch.com/2009/08/22/cheating-the-app-store-pr-firm-has-interns-post-positive-reviews-for-clients/

The user score from MMORPG is currently 8.51. That's drawing from 258 ratings. Given the obstacles to submitting a rating, I'd give MMORPG's score more weight. But I'll admit this probably is at least partly owing to the fact that 8.51 jives better with my own score than does 6.1. Ultimately, applying a number to these games is highly dubious and perhaps nearly meaningless.

I'll suggest that it'll be at least six months to a year before we gain any significant perspective on this topic. As far as identifying any given rating as accurate, we should admit that in truth we are only identifying are own particular rating as accurate. One person says 6.1 is right, and another says 88 is right. It is all arbitrary because there is ultimately no criterion (see Sextus Empericus).

In some aspects yes....

Rift has an amazing class system and dynamic world events.

Eve has a completely player driven content via all the political intrigue in game

DCUO: Never played

EQ2: Has a HUGE world, a gazillion quests, heritage quests....a housing system that puts even the newest games to shame.

In some aspects, everything is better than anything. These scores aren't based on "some aspects".

Yea. they fall in the Hater/Fanboy catagory. They don't count.