forced character renames, how many did you all get stuck with?

Jeweledleah

None.

I don't pick names based on anything other people will have heard of or "comedy" names.

I was expecting one to go missing though, Mandy Lorien. You mean in all the years this game has been around nobody has picked that as a name for their BH?

Mental.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost 2 names, one from a low level toon I don't care about and one from a toon I created on another server to get the name after the merge. Unfortunately (for me) the original holder of this name also is a sub with more time played on his character.

On the other hand I was able to get 2 names back that I lost when our guild transferred from JKS to T3-M4 two years ago.

All in all, I'm happy :D

Lost four on my primary account, Night Sister (kinda expected), Arayatha, Ixystra, Valeskia.

Only ones I'll miss are Night Sister and Valeskia. Even then, they were not primary characters and will be relatively easy for me to decide on a new name for both. I feel like I got off pretty well with having only four renames out of 60 or so characters.

None.

I don't pick names based on anything other people will have heard of or "comedy" names.

I was expecting one to go missing though, Mandy Lorien. You mean in all the years this game has been around nobody has picked that as a name for their BH?

Mental.

Alll of my names I made up. The problem is over the years of being online those names have since showed up in TV shows or other games etc. Guess people see them and like them so use it in the next game they play. Because all my names I used to have zero clashes with in every game or website now clashes badly. Annoying.

Edited by Suzsi

Alll of my names I made up. The problem is over the years of being online those names have since showed up in TV shows or other games etc. Guess people see them and like them so use it in the next game they play. Because all my names I used to have zero clashes with in every game or website now clashes badly. Annoying.

It's happened to me too (though not tv shows, wow!) The worst case for me was a bio I wrote for one of my characters in CoH and a short time later those exact mobs showed up in the game.

Character bios were something anyone could write and have seen by inspection. Of course, in their ToS it clearly stated that they owned literally every name and bio players wrote within their game, but it did sting a little not getting any credit for it and looking like I copied their idea, instead of the other way around :o

Edited by grania

With the exception of two, all my names are altered common real world names or made from words in not so common usage. One second name was from a D&D prestige class from 3.5 rules. 4.0 made me rage quit D&D permanently.

I got fed up of taken or invalid notifications and doing the above seemed to work all the time.

One name was directly from a TV show from years ago, and the other I mentioned previously. Those I anticipated problems with.

I lost one name. I was hoping to keep it as hard as it was to find a name that would actual go when I first made the character... Hopefully ye ole ' will fix the problem.

The irony to me is I had 2 30 something characters from a server I'd abandoned before 3.x dropped. I'd honestly forgotten their names. Those two actually kept their names. I kinda feel bad if anyone else actually wanted them. I likely will move anything of value off them and delete them anyway.

Through planning and scheming over the past few weeks I actually managed to retake every single name I had lost both in the original server transfers (such as Nightprowler ) and when I transferred from Bastion to Harbinger ( like Starforce, Firefighter ), as well as maintain a hold on the rarer names I have like Fusion.

All in all it's been a pretty good night and I already had a free rename I got from long ago so I didn't even have to spend too many Cartel coins reclaiming them

Edited by Sangrar

I lost one really good name for a Sith Warrior on Satele Shan(kudos to whoever got it), but Star Forge is where my main legacy was consolidated and, surprisingly, I didn't lose any names there. I had one I was fairly worried about: it is actually a really cool adaption of the name of an insane despotic Roman Emperor made to fit a Sith Inquisitor. I know for a fact I was competing with four other toons for that name. Since Star Forge is made up of a couple old RP servers, it didn't surprise me that some other history nerds came up with the same moniker. The competition must have just been RP alts or abandoned for years because I'm a binge player with very little playtime compared to others.

Is it wrong to say I love my character more now that I know he beat out four other toons to keep his identity?

Edited by gragnongoth

Out of 83 toons I have to rename at least half of them.

However, many are 'placeholder' names and duplicates that I expected to lose.

Having 5 toons with the name "Darev" means I get to rename 4 of them automatically.

Managed to keep Mulder and Scully on starforge (WIN!)

Kept a few others I cared about.

Wasn't able to keep Crash Override, but I did keep the counterpart Acid Burn. Strange how that worked. (I kept both on Satele Shan though)

I am sorry for those of you who lost names. I get how much naming means when it comes to the identity of a character.

Woke up this morning feeling apprehensive, although I was hopeful that most of my characters would come through unscathed. Out of the 27 characters that were originally on my main server, I only lost one name! I'm on Star Forge too, so I had a lot of potential clashes to contend with. My agents with number names got to keep theirs, my trooper with a "word" name got to keep hers, and characters with RL female names got to keep theirs. Very pleased.

The name I lost was Qorben, which I was a bit surprised about since it was already a pretty bizarre spelling to begin with and the character was level 65. I have the feeling I'm going to have a tough time renaming him now. Thankfully, he was a lesser played alt, so I'm not too broken up about it.

I was a little surprised to lose "Varliss," a random name I had on a random level 1 alt. I'd never played her, so no big loss, but it was a made-up name that didn't follow the common conventional female naming patterns. So yes, even random made-up names get thought of by more than one person...it doesn't have to be something obvious like "Kylo." :rolleyes:

Shocker of the day: I got to keep "Elinora" on a level 1, never played alt. :eek:

Lost one out of sixteen.

The one toon I had to rename was Artemisiia, a slight spelling variant. I was able to change her to the correct spelling of Artemisia, but obviously since the standalone name was unavailable I added Xerxes to it.

She's a Sith Marauder and uses two Classic Vibroswords, just like the Eva Green character in the 300 sequel.

Positively ZERO.

PPPPP

"Prior planning prevents poor performance" or rather in this case:

PPPCNL

"Prior planning prevents character name loss"

As they would say: VICTORY!

aside from logging into every single character prior to the merge and being a subscriber at the time of it.. I'm not entirely sure what else any of us could have done at this point. unless your idea of planning involves reserving the same names on every single server years ago, which is... honestly kinda unreasonable to expect from a person. IMO.

edited one of my lost characters, while not at max level, was not a lowbie either. he was lvl 62 and while not my main healer, was still used quite a bit. he was the character that contributed towards legendary status on my main server, the first bounty hunter I've ever leveled and one of the small number of characters that still has those original merge rewards (tauntaun pet).

that i managed to keep a name of a lvl 2 alt that I created for future reference about a year ago yet never played... but not one of my original 16 that were created at or around launch, is almost amusing.

Edited by Jeweledleah

I lost 2 on SS, but that's because the conflicted with my own characters from Harby. Out of 48 toons, that's it. Crazy thing is with GC I haven't played more than 2 or 3 at all in over a year and some of them in well over 2. All I did was log them in and move then to fleet in case they managed to lock characters in strongholds again. Edited by DanNV