Please Increase/Remove Guild Member Cap With Merges

UlaVii

I would like to add my support to this. I have quite a lot of characters and am in a guild that is at max (1000). My guild is also VERY active and really enjoy the people that are there. I have made some good friends and continue to make more, so I have no desire to play with another guild. That means I have to leave most of my alts unguilded and if I want to play hat alt I do not have access to guild chat and miss out on a number of things. So I would like to see the guild max more than doubled to accommodate also the server merger.

#uniteourcharacters

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read EVERY post here on this thread most people want the guild cap either removed or increased dramatically to a size big enough to accommodate most if not all of their alts in one guild.

But for those against, fall into generally two groups. Those who see Conquest as majorly important and acts as the glue that holds their guilds together and those who make general statements about dominating and stealing all the good players without being specific about what they are trying to say (it's like they "have a bad feeling about this").

For the later all I can say is that you are not really being helpful or contributing to the discussion. Be specific. Clarity is needed. For the former I would direct you to to the few GM's that has already posted some very good argumentation with lots of benefits that will bring.

For those who are against because of conquest reasons, if that is ALL your guild has to offer then people will leave anyway. I have been in a few 'Conquest Guilds' and they all had one thing in common, high through traffic. The guild I am in now has 5 progression teams. Regular 16m (HM and SM with the occasional NiM [i prefer the original terms]) Ops groups multiple times a week. We have a Cadets team where new Ops players are taught HM ticktacks for every Operation which they then go on to progression teams. We hold achievement runs for all manner of things ranging from 50 people in your stronghold to 1980 PvP kills at CZ-198 to who wears the silliest hat with a pirate impression! On regular occasions. And we also run 2 Conquest runs a week lasting around 1hr 30min. the second run in the week is for those who couldn't make the first event. So for my guild Conquest is a small event that we enjoy doing together. With most being in TS letting the drink flow :-D

A guild is SO MUCH MORE than Conquest. So let us have all our alts in the place that we feel at home the most. And that is what a guild should be. A place that you feel welcome. Some people have mentioned about bringing their alts home. Which is a nice sense of having found the right guild. You can make very close friends in a guild. Let us make those friendships even stronger by having all our characters TOGETHER.

Strong guilds make for a strong game.

#uniteourcharacters

Having read EVERY post here on this thread most people want the guild cap either removed or increased dramatically to a size big enough to accommodate most if not all of their alts in one guild.

But for those against, fall into generally two groups. Those who see Conquest as majorly important and acts as the glue that holds their guilds together and those who make general statements about dominating and stealing all the good players without being specific about what they are trying to say (it's like they "have a bad feeling about this").

For the later all I can say is that you are not really being helpful or contributing to the discussion. Be specific. Clarity is needed. For the former I would direct you to to the few GM's that has already posted some very good argumentation with lots of benefits that will bring.

For those who are against because of conquest reasons, if that is ALL your guild has to offer then people will leave anyway. I have been in a few 'Conquest Guilds' and they all had one thing in common, high through traffic. The guild I am in now has 5 progression teams. Regular 16m (HM and SM with the occasional NiM [i prefer the original terms]) Ops groups multiple times a week. We have a Cadets team where new Ops players are taught HM ticktacks for every Operation which they then go on to progression teams. We hold achievement runs for all manner of things ranging from 50 people in your stronghold to 1980 PvP kills at CZ-198 to who wears the silliest hat with a pirate impression! On regular occasions. And we also run 2 Conquest runs a week lasting around 1hr 30min. the second run in the week is for those who couldn't make the first event. So for my guild Conquest is a small event that we enjoy doing together. With most being in TS letting the drink flow :-D

A guild is SO MUCH MORE than Conquest. So let us have all our alts in the place that we feel at home the most. And that is what a guild should be. A place that you feel welcome. Some people have mentioned about bringing their alts home. Which is a nice sense of having found the right guild. You can make very close friends in a guild. Let us make those friendships even stronger by having all our characters TOGETHER.

Strong guilds make for a strong game.

#uniteourcharacters

there is no real discussion here. huge megaguilds can hold onto achievements to prevent any other guilds from competing. Iokath conquest for instance, one megaguild can conquer it every time it comes up easily if they have thousands of members. Players are faced with the choice of joining or not getting the achievement. even that isnt assured, these megaguilds have been known to wait till monday, and kick the people with legacy names that they dont like, thus preventing them from getting the reward on tuesday. It would be ok if a guild got locked out of competing for the same planet 2 times in a row or something, but as it stands, they arent. BW doesnt bother to police their own game, they cant afford to give even greater power to grief to just a few players.

Mega guilds don't vacuum players up as if they were mindless blobs. The reality is that each person that decides to join a guild just for a conquest achievement made the choice to join that guild. It's really up to the players to go where they want. You could say the guilds that mass invite on starter planets do hoover up people who don't realise what they are really being invited for but then that guild has to deal with all those new people and not all of what a level 30 does really helps with conquest scores :)

If you think people in smaller guilds should be 100% focused on their smaller guilds then make a guild with people that feel the same way and if your argument becomes "well our small band has no chance against big guilds" then do something about it. Find more like minded people and get tactical on the weeks you can do things.

Conquest is just one part of the game and it's entirely decided by the players. It really has no bearing on raising the cap to 10k+ which is a good level for altaholics who want the convenience of having more of the their characters in their chosen guild(s).

Edited by UlaVii

So is this the ONLY reason people have against raising the cap limit is Conquest? Personally for those who are still beating that drum need to either/both re-read the argumentation put forth in this thread and expand beyond such a small aspect of the game.

Imagination! If you haven't got that and can't think of how to make your guild more active then I have a new word for your dictionary, EMULATION! Look at other guilds that are active and steal their ideas and call them your own.

Can anybody give us, in a reasonable manner, any other reason SPECIFICALLY why raising/removing the cap will be bad for both the community and game? Please no sweeping generalisations (or the Conquest arguments), "they will dominate" with no real explanation as to what they will actually dominate.

#uniteourcharacters

So is this the ONLY reason people have against raising the cap limit is Conquest? Personally for those who are still beating that drum need to either/both re-read the argumentation put forth in this thread and expand beyond such a small aspect of the game.

Imagination! If you haven't got that and can't think of how to make your guild more active then I have a new word for your dictionary, EMULATION! Look at other guilds that are active and steal their ideas and call them your own.

Can anybody give us, in a reasonable manner, any other reason SPECIFICALLY why raising/removing the cap will be bad for both the community and game? Please no sweeping generalisations (or the Conquest arguments), "they will dominate" with no real explanation as to what they will actually dominate.

#uniteourcharacters

I think alts shouldn't count against the cap and only your main character in the guild can contribute to conquest points. That would solve all issues.

#uniteourcharacters

got it. you dont do conquest so it doesnt matter. self centered much?

got it. you dont do conquest so it doesnt matter. self centered much?

Wrong.

I get the weekly can and then some, on multiple alts. So no I am not self centred. I care about my fellow guild mates who are also in the same position as I am in and would do more things together if the cap was raised/removed. I would just like to see a different argumentation other than conquest. So try not to jump to conclusions.

Having 1 guild on a server with 30,000 characters is awful for a server. Having 300 guilds with 100, is far better. You said you already have 450 members in your guild. That is more than enough to do anything and everything in this game (that requires no skill). Demanding the developers increase the limit for you're guild is basically "i want the biggest and bestest guild ever OMG conquest"

Can be no other real reason. There is no logical one either.

I fail to understand how the server is supposed to be better, if people can't join the guild they want to, with as many alts they want to. I am not going to join any other guilds either just to make smaller guild GMs feel better about themselves anyway. I want to be in the guild I enjoy being part of, hang out with the people I know, and be reachable to them even when I'm playing alts. So, having a smaller cap won't benefit other guilds at ALL, because people can still choose which guild they call their home.

@Countdemons: For me it has nothing to do with being able to brag about guild size. I don't care if my guild has 100 people or 1,000 or 10,000. I support this because, as Deanna points out right below you, it's all about people being able to play where they want to join and play.

I want anyone and everyone who wants to join my guild to be able to do so. I hate having people whisper me and say they want to join and I have to tell them "Sorry, we're full", or Bob messages me and tells me his raid team would like him to be able to play sniper on some fights, so can he bring his alt Bobsniper in guild, and I have to say no because we're at 1000, again. Or I have to tell either of those people to wait a few minutes while I kick some members who haven't been online for a fortnight in order to make space, and that hurts just as much because that's removing people who also want to be in the guild.

In any of those instances I have to deny/remove someone who wants to be part of my guild because they like what it is and what it does, the opportunities it gives them, the friends they have there, whatever reason they want to be here. It's genuinely upsetting to have to do that on an almost daily basis, just because of an arbitrarily low guild member cap. At least if it was an account number cap then Bob could get his alt in, and we'd be able accept some new people because Steve's five toons only count as one spot instead of five.

#uniteourcharacters

I won't jump on board with all this hashtag bullcrap that seems to be a thing these days but...

The simple solution would be to remove conquest... that solves all arguments, give us another way to upgrade our guildship without a leaderboard... its likely mega guilds would lose a lot of those members just looking for achievements but they'll keep their core players.... then just set the guild cap to 1000 accounts and limitless characters.

I personally like Conquest and I take part in it fairly often, We've got second place on a few occasions with at little as 6 people (on several alts) taking part and I'd probably miss it if it went.....

Another solution would be to just remove the leaderboard and have tiers of rewards, you get your personal reward + a guild reward like now but the reward gets bigger per tier you pass.... so Tier 1 gives the current guild reward, Tier 2 gives double the current reward, Tier 3 triple....... and so on with as many tiers as they like. The goal that is required points to cross each tier could change weekly..... mega guilds would still get their stuff but they won't get the e-peen rise out of seeing themselves on top of the board each and every week, and the small guilds would get a chance to get rewards too.

Both of those would allow a guild cap removal.

or Bob messages me and tells me his raid team would like him to be able to play sniper on some fights, so can he bring his alt Bobsniper in guild, and I have to say no because we're at 1000, again. Or I have to tell either of those people to wait a few minutes while I kick some members who haven't been online for a fortnight in order to make space, and that hurts just as much because that's removing people who also want to be in the guild.

#uniteourcharacters

Or Bob could just.... you know... play his un-guilded sniper with his raid team....... :p

Wholeheartedly agree with Ula VII's suggestion to make this account wide, not character wide. The more the merrier.

#increaseguildcap

If you make it account wide you cant have people in 2 different guilds.....you will be screwing those people. of course you can make a chat channel for all of your friends...but that would be too easy.

If it was account wide it would not stop you being in more than one guild. The way this suggestion works is that you join a guild with 3 characters then it only counts as 1 slot towards the guilds maximum. Currently 3 characters count as 3 slots. So with this suggestion you could join 5 guilds with 2 or more characters each and it would only count as 1 slot in each guild towards their cap.

I explained in my original post about how custom chat channels are broken and often abused. If you have not had to deal with those problems then good for you but those of us that have organised large server wide channels have had these issues.