Hot Prospect Name Concerns

EricMusco

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is Satele Shan an improvement if sexualization is the reason for the change?

Is a female NPC automatically sexualized? Is it because she wears high boots and well-fitted clothes (at least before the timeskip)? Satele is a strong, well-written character. There's no way a server is somehow sexualized just because it's named after her. Of course some people will always find a way to make a joke about anything, but "Hot Prospect" was an automatic joke, no effort needed. Anyway, it's done.

Edited by Estelindis

Is a female NPC automatically sexualized? Is it because she wears high boots and well-fitted clothes? Satele is a strong well-written character. There's no way a server is somehow sexualized just because it's named after her. Of course some people will always find a way to make a joke about anything, but "Hot Prospect" was an automatic joke, no effort needed. Anyway, it's done.

Human beings amirite?

How is Satele Shan an improvement if sexualization is the reason for the change?

Well, I think it makes sense to call it Satele Shan...to balance Darth Malgus. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen to honour either of these characters myself, because I loathe them both, but seeing as Satele and Malgus were basically SW:TOR's poster boy and girl, at the off, it does make sense that they have servers named for them.

So, in a way, it's no more sexualized than Darth Malgus...people will be 'on' both. But at least the new name has some dignity to it, which was lacking with Hot Prospects...I'm sure there are those that took it to be the ERP capital of the game.

Edited by Lunafox

I was not aware of any of the innuendo/perceived connotations about the name - but IMHO Satele Shan is a lot better. It's a name more people recognize, it's a Jedi (there aren't any other Jedi-named servers), etc.

I haven't been happy with the devs since the roadmap but I will give credit where credit is due; I appreciate that they listened and made changes on this. I hope they will take the same proactive approach listening and addressing player concerns and will effect QoL changes to combat the harassment and other annoyances that will invariably increase on more crowded servers.

With "hot prospect" all I could think of was a real estate pitch: "this open lot is a hot prospect for development in this up and coming neighborhood!" or that store, Hot Topic. I know there's an actual Star Wars thing behind it, but it's not readily apparent...

Is a female NPC automatically sexualized? Is it because she wears high boots and well-fitted clothes (at least before the timeskip)? Satele is a strong, well-written character. There's no way a server is somehow sexualized just because it's named after her. Of course some people will always find a way to make a joke about anything, but "Hot Prospect" was an automatic joke, no effort needed. Anyway, it's done.

Sure.

When names go live, a lot of people will say "i'm on Satele Shan". Entire guilds.

i can't possibly imagine any jokes coming from that ^^

(and i don't care, right now i'm on Darth Nihilus, so...)

I didn't think it was a bad name because it was 'sexualized'... I thought it was a bad name because if someone is going to pick where to play, are they going to pick 'Hot Prospect' or 'Star Forge'? Personally I'd get going to the latter.. I think there are a lot of other players who are like minded.

I didn't think it was a bad name because it was 'sexualized'... I thought it was a bad name because if someone is going to pick where to play, are they going to pick 'Hot Prospect' or 'Star Forge'? Personally I'd get going to the latter.. I think there are a lot of other players who are like minded.

eh, no different then the days of "I'm grinding on The Fatman" xD

I don't think the sexual stuff was the problem with the server name tbh, it was just a dumb name compared to the other server names. It sounded stupid and had way too obscure of a SW reference for anyone to get it. And like others said, it reminded me of Hot Pockets, Hot Topic, etc. Even visually the name wasn't appealing :p

Edited by DenariusJay

eh, no different then the days of "I'm grinding on The Fatman" xD

I don't think the sexual stuff was the problem with the server name tbh, it was just a dumb name compared to the other server names. It sounded stupid and had way too obscure of a SW reference for anyone to get it. And like others said, it reminded me of Hot Pockets, Hot Topic, etc. Even visually the name wasn't appealing :p

This. The Hot Prospect wiki is like literally two aragraphs long. Star Forge is the entire point of the game that got most of us playing this in the first place.

Edited by LordTurin

Definately an improvement over Hot Pockets, it's nice to know that Bware does listen. Harbinger is bad enough as is, if the Hot Prospect had stayed then I guarantee there would have been constant lewd jokes about it in fleet chat... so at least now we'll just have lewd jokes about other stuff.. ;(

Hey folks,

We have made the decision to rename The Hot Prospect server to Satele Shan. Since we announced the new server names, we have received some concerns from people regarding the name The Hot Prospect. Specifically, that phrase could be taken in slang terms to be derogatory towards certain individuals. We take this very seriously as we would never want to create a situation where someone is made uncomfortable by something such as a server name.

We will be updating all of our communications (such as the FAQ and blog) to reflect the new name in the coming days. Thank you for your understanding.

-eric

do you know that satele shan in papua is a very offending term? :mad:

you must rename this server god thaladan because after a long and accurate analysis, this name is clearly good everywhere !

thanks in advance.

ps : you are amazing BW :cool:

I'm glad to hear it. The name was simply far too obscure a referenced to be used and it doesn't embody the spirit of Star Wars. The new name sounds great. (It wasn't going to be my server as I'll be on Star Forge.)

Seriously?! *smh*

The Hot Prospect was the name of Zayne Carrick's ship. Much more fitting than the stupid fail Jedi master.

You could have at least named it some other ship name. *face palm*

EDIT: Hammer Station would have been better as another posted.

Satele Shan will still be used lewdly. They will easily use her name as dirty jokes. *sigh*

Edited by CaptRogue

Thanks guys for changing the name. You probably should have chosen something more neutral (Shan and Maul) both represent only one side of your player base, yet you have the opposite faction playing on those servers as well. Regardless, anything is better than The Hot Prospect.