Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were one-time use codes, and they were used before the page even finished loading for most people.

I'm sure there will be some kind of apology for "Sorry, no Star Wars today," but I'm not sure what form it will take.

EA never has offered compensation. Going back to when they broke things during updates then ending up patching the patches (sometimes for days or even weeks) in Everquest. Quite the legend to live up to.

Or meditate peacefully Jedi-style wishing goodwill to Bioware and Eric etc? We're not all sith. just frustrated lol!

"I hadn't had this much fun since the sacking of *insert bioware office location here*"

Free codes is a singular dev's way of trying to toss a few bones to an angry virtual mob. Global reimbursement and system architecture are owned by the powers that be in EA/Bioware. Don't crucify a single dev because he was trying to sprinkle sugar on a trash fire, everything's better with SPRINKLES.

But sugar on a trash fire makes caramel, and that's candy, and not everyone got the candy, and people wanted the candy, because being the 3rd kid in line and looking into an empty candy bag is no fun.

I was in the middle of updating SW:TOR when i spotted all the problems everyone was having on the SW:TOR Twitter page!. So stopped my update then and there, so should i let my update continue now, or should i wait till the New Patch has been Released and then Continue my Update then? What does everyone think is the Best Option, if i Continue Now at least my update time later won't take as long right?

Thank you for information! German/european subscribers seems not worth any actual information when Servers down at their mean-time? :rolleyes: Even if you use google-translater it would be better than no information.

Psst!

Dont tell them we are able to play the whole time!

The European Servers aren´t offline!

Hey Fellow Fans and Devs,

The devs definitely understand the frustration considering they are fans of the game as well. Please cut them some slack. Eric is being extremely transparent at the risk of the already growing retaliation. We all love Star Wars. We all love this game. Their resources are limited. They are working as fast as they possibly can to fix it. I don't know if you know this or not but code looks like the matrix. Finding where one thing is messed up in a humongous game is like finding a needle in a hay stack. With limited resources this takes time. Patience my jedi friends.

As for the people that are asking for compensation. You are upset about 50 cents in American dollars. Even less in Euros. Is two quarters worth throwing in the towel? For you to ask or threaten to cancel if they do not give you more than this value in your form of currency is outrageous. Yes it is unfair that the game is down. The devs did not purposefully crash the game. It also unfair for you to ask someone to give you (in some cases) up to 45 American Dollars for 50 cents in American Dollars. The devs want to make you guys happy with what resources they have. They are trying. You subscribe because you love this game. You subscribe because the devs made this game what you love. Give them the opportunity to do exactly what they are supposed to do. Good things come to those who wait. May the Force be with you all.

Sincerely,

Concerned Citizen

First, people pay subs from their monthly salary. Monthly salary is not estimated by economic year (360 days) as bioware charge us, but regular calendar year. So - 5 days of sub per year.

Second, if you calculate all lost time due to patches, it is way over 2 days per year.

Third, yes, I am quite sure no one there wants this mess with every patch, still all you get is an apology in the best case. Compensations are not the point, simply a better game "life quality" as implemented when new producer took over. Bugs that are in the game for last 15 months and still not fixed, do not point us to that direction.

Why don't you read up on all those cases where customers successfully sued an MMO developer for some hours of downtime.

Oh and please, share them, cause I've never found any.

I have redeemed a few dollars simply by referring to the laws that governs sales in my country. No sues needed, the lawyers of MMO's understood the cost of denial.

Rather you read up up on consumer laws across the globe pal :)

Dear Eric and Swtor Team,

I am a subscriber just like many other people and it really sucks to see that when there is codes given out because of the hours of downtime that only a few people get the codes and for the rest is a disappointment that the codes do not work because you say they are all handed out or are removed it is like you are playing favorites and want to give other players the feeling of not getting anything and to only make a select few happy.

I believe that when you have a downtime of hours and you give out compensation for this then give this to every player through mail do not start to discriminate and I recommend do not use those codes anymore everyone should be compensated and not only a select few or when you do hand out codes make sure everyone has enough time at least 12 hours to claim them.

I find that Swtor is doing very bad with compensating for their problems and downtime there is other games out there who do care about their players and actually give out rewards through the in game mail when they have a downtime or problems they caused everyone is included and not only a select few.

You guys want to earn money and we like to receive gifts when we suffer hours of not being able to play the game support work both ways.

Each subscriber is like an investor in your game we pay so you can keep the servers running and pay your staff.

As subscriber I had many bugs caused by the game and missed out of rewards because of this even stuff that cost me more than an hour of game play I usually get this standard email of a simple sorry when I make a ticket but never got any compensation and every time there is codes handed out I have missed out on it because you only give it to the first 15 people or less

This is all very disappointing and it makes me really wonder if I should remain a subscriber or just stop playing the game it really sucks to see some players get rewards and stuff from the Devs and that me and many other people get nothing.

Each time a new update comes out I really do wonder what will they break now and for how long will the game be unplayable.

Stop discriminating and threat all your players equally give things to all or give nothing.

/popcorn

All these subscribers endlessly complaining when bioware is not giving them a satisfactory game experience, but in 1-30 days will once again click the "subscribe" button, and pay 12-15 dollars for another month of complaining and terrible game exp/customer support/incompentency and so on and so forth.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Some will renew, some will not. Think of it sort of like your phone company. I complain all the time about mine. But I have to have a phone and the other available companies are even less reliable in my area. People need their nerd fix, and the Star Wars universe is one of my favorite sources. But there just are not many alternatives out there... Of course one can always drop to F2P/preferred status, but then you can't vent on the forums.

I was in the middle of updating SW:TOR when i spotted all the problems everyone was having on the SW:TOR Twitter page!. So stopped my update then and there, so should i let my update continue now, or should i wait till the New Patch has been Released and then Continue my Update then? What does everyone think is the Best Option, if i Continue Now at least my update time later won't take as long right?

Never, ever, ever, stop a patch. The Ortalan Mafia will come visit you in the middle of the night. Not good.

LOTRO have also compensated ALL players in the past! and that's f2p friendly too!

EA never has offered compensation. Going back to when they broke things during updates then ending up patching the patches (sometimes for days or even weeks) in Everquest. Quite the legend to live up to.

I once got a code from bioware, but it ended up needing patching from the patching....

How else do you see it? You have in this thread alone how many people and post less codes than that.

I took it at face value. He said it was something to do whilst passing time since everyone is haunting the forums waiting for news.

I really don't think he did it for sadistical enjoyment.

I REALLY want Terry the Testing Squirrel. I assume he sits on a pile of cartel coins whilst Bond-villain-like stroking the taun fawn pet. I would also assume it comes with a hologram of Eric Musto Shouting "FIx it! Fix it! Fix it!" :)

Also, Terry the Testing Squirrel is normally a reddish-brown color, but every so often he glitches and also becomes a hologram. Once in a while he melts into a steaming pile of goo. :)

Petition !! SHARE IT ALL !

PLEASE !!!!

We need that TaunFawn Mini-pet , just give to all players ingame mail this pet ! At least do one time a good intervention in your subs base players and put some little sugar on this today angers !!!

JUST DO IT ! and make us to forget for a second all problems !

useless thing

That's one, very cynical, way to look at it...sure.

its actually a little more complimentary than an alternative, which is hes too stupid to realise that when you have angry, mostly irrational players lurking on forums that giving stuff to a tiny percentage of people will enrage the others.

This isnt a chill out stream or a count down to a launch of a great expansion where such codes would be a nice little side effect, its a fustercluck and as a result the idiotic one time use codes are just antagonizing people.

As a developer, I certainly understand that mistakes happen. Surely you should test your code thoroughly before pushing to production. Ideally you should test on a cloned server identical to production. But even so, sometimes things happen. I can understand, I've been there. However...!

Throwing the handful of one-use codes into the air for the community to fight for was pretty insulting. It's not like the codes were physical compensation that cost the company $$$. Sharing some global codes for a pet or a mount costs them nothing. To throw out a few when they know thousands or even hundreds of thousands of players are disappointed in lost game time almost comes across as purposely taunting.

I am a developer, I've made mistakes that affected the end user. If I could compensate them with a free digital item, I would happily do so and then some. I suppose that's where the frustration comes from for the players. Monetarily such a gift should cost them $0. As such, to limit the codes only comes across as complete disregard for the player base.