Is it time to get rid of the Voiced Protagonists?

Kyrrant

The number that I keep coming back to in SWTOR is 16.

That's the number of voice actors that are needed in order to portray a single character in the game at this point. 1 hour of recording time for the PC's lines takes 16 hours to do. 16 different schedules that need to be managed.

For one character.

At this point, I'm wondering if it might be for the best if, outside of major scenes/moments/such, the PC went voiceless. Doing the KOTOR style "Pick your option and that's what you said" thing we saw with most of the Alerts in KOTFE.

Because, and this is without seeing any of Bioware's balance sheets, if the budget will not support a fully voiced story of a decent length and complexity, and the game's budget can't be increased due to reasons of "We need to not lose money"... then maybe it's time to cut something that, while nice, just isn't practical anymore...

No, absolutely not. That would make it rubbish like every other game out there and I'm not interested in that. I love the fully voiced protagonist and companions.

That would be cheaping out, that would serve to drive me away.

If anything, I think they should hire some new voice actors to read all the lines and give people a choice in voice for their characters upon creation. All the original voices + all new ones that can do the vanilla stuff and beyond. I love all the voices we have now, but when you're making alts it would be nice to sound different to set them apart.

Edited by Lunafox

The un-voiced "nostalgic" Alliance Alert style missions were the single biggest disappointment of KotFE for me.

While I give the post-KotET story thus far a pretty big "meh" rating, I have still been consistently happy overall with my experience playing this game ever since Beta. But if they start seriously phasing out the voice-over, especially of the main characters, that would likely get me to quit.

They do that and many many folks will be gone. That's part of the attraction of this game is being able to vicariously live the life of your character. I haven't even done many alerts because of the lack of dialogue.

Yeah they might as well shut it all down if they go down that road. All that would leave is the mmo aspect of the game to attract people, and there are a lot of mmo's out there that do it better. The cinematic storytelling is the only thing keeping people here.

As far as 16 voices goes, I suspect BW does voice recording for several patches/story updates in advance. So it's not an immediate problem. Also, if it ever get too expensive for BW I'd be happier if my Sith Inquisitor get a 'new' cheaper voice than go forever silent.

Nope. That would be the end for me. The fully voiced & animated story is the only reason I play this game instead of any other. I found the "KotOR" style alerts to be very unsatisfying even though they were better than the text only or voice only dailies.

So, if it's the choice between 3 times longer story sections with more room to do more things, and the bare servings of story we got today, you'd prefer to stay the course?

IMO, yes. Shorter, fully voiced story > longer, unvoiced story.

My vote to "stay the course" in this regard doesn't mean I don't think there's room for improving the quality of the story, of course, but I am definitely against axing voice-overs to get more quantity.

Edited by DarthDymond

So, if it's the choice between 3 times longer story sections with more room to do more things, and the bare servings of story we got today, you'd prefer to stay the course?

In a word, yes. What's the point of longer story if I never do it because it feels unsatisfying? I don't think you understand how jarring the alliance alerts were for some people.

In a word, yes. What's the point of longer story if I never do it because it feels unsatisfying? I don't think you understand how jarring the alliance alerts were for some people.

Well, tis why I ask questions, to get answers :).

I mostly just don't see SWTOR surviving if this is the kind of story we get from Bioware. 4 months for three conversations? Yeah, their devs have been working on other things too, the new FP isn't bad to play through, and the OPs folks have been needing new stuff to do too...

...but the story's the most unique aspect the game has, and even when it was the developer's only focus for a year, the conversations always felt short and lacking. Maybe it'd be changing one death spiral for another, but this course isn't helping.

If these beloved characters ever go unvoiced - nope, that's it, I'm out of here. Screw it all. I can tolerate the Alliance Alerts, because they're just short side missions and I can imagine my characters' voices over the dialogue options, but if ever that was extended for the *main* story...yeah, I'd leave.

It's what makes these characters so endearing - and for me, in some ways, helps shape their personalities. My beloved knight wouldn't be the same without David Hayter's utterly amazing voice. My female smuggler, my first character ever, wouldn't be her without her cheerful, bubbly, quirky voice. My consular would be a stranger if he didn't have that soothing deep voice, etc. etc. They wouldn't be...well, them. Their voices help shape who they are. If that was ever taken away for main story reasons, most of the enjoyment of this game would be gone.

I'm not as attached to a particular voice actor as others may be, but I don't want this game to be voiceless,that would be pretty poor all together.😕

Even though I love Arcann's voice actor(happy he's actually loving Arcann too) I wouldn't exactly quit if they could not use him anymore in the future for whatever reason and replaced him with something else suitable.

I hope this won't happen, but it would not make me quit the game.

16??? No... you mean 48.

because they are also voiced in french and german, aren't they

still the voice-acting is the unique selling position of this game. I allways wondered if they pull a darth vader like accident for the pc to "solve" this inconvenience. After the attemp on your life or accident there would be just 2 voices per language left.

Edited by Artowa

16??? No... you mean 48.

because they are also voiced in french and german, aren't they

are they?

This has subtitles, but the voices are in English, it's the same in game iirc.

Edited by Eshvara

The un-voiced "nostalgic" Alliance Alert style missions were the single biggest disappointment of KotFE for me.

While I give the post-KotET story thus far a pretty big "meh" rating, I have still been consistently happy overall with my experience playing this game ever since Beta. But if they start seriously phasing out the voice-over, especially of the main characters, that would likely get me to quit.

I 100% agree with this sentiment. I want my character to talk in those cut-scenes, dammit!

ooouu I see! The voices are pretty good in German. Thanks!:D

The French VA for the female SI isn't as good as the English one. She manages to give every line a sort of flat menace rather than the deliciously sexy malevolence of the English VA.

But there's one line in the French female trooper/AJ story that's infinitely better than the English equivalent. It's the very first flirt option ("Surprise Inspection"), and the French VA manages to make the line sound incredibly dirty. In English, she talks about how she has some things in her closet that aren't up to regulation standards, without saying what those things are. (Skimpies of dubious origin, I guess...)

In French, however, she asks him if he is going to inspect her "equipment", and the actress makes it sound like she means the fleshy equipment inside her armour... :eek: (Definitely beats *everything* that Doc says to a female Knight for cheesiness.)

The French VA for the female SI isn't as good as the English one. She manages to give every line a sort of flat menace rather than the deliciously sexy malevolence of the English VA.

But there's one line in the French female trooper/AJ story that's infinitely better than the English equivalent. It's the very first flirt option ("Surprise Inspection"), and the French VA manages to make the line sound incredibly dirty. In English, she talks about how she has some things in her closet that aren't up to regulation standards, without saying what those things are. (Skimpies of dubious origin, I guess...)

In French, however, she asks him if he is going to inspect her "equipment", and the actress makes it sound like she means the fleshy equipment inside her armour... :eek: (Definitely beats *everything* that Doc says to a female Knight for cheesiness.)

Sounds interesting! Too bad I don't understand either of those languages, so I won't experience like someone else who does would.:(

I didn't think anyone could beat Doc for cheesiness. That's impressive.

I love the VAs for this game. It's part of what makes this game fun for me. It would probably kill the game for me if they removed them.

I was under the impression story is written very far in advance, so there should be plenty of time to get voice recordings. Thus, I don't think schedule/timeline is the issue.

If it's budget EA needs to man up and support this game.

For the main character at least. I understand why they went to new companions driving the story, instead of having all 40 others contribute in their unique way. So they should just hang up the game before going silent protagonist.

Edited by bdatt

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.