The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

not a bad game but.........

JediLiam

I know i will get as flamed as hell for this (see what i did there?) but there is something i really need to get off my chest.

The game is..... not too bad, more too be added i can understand, its a new mmo after all. i'll start with the positives, its not half bad for a launch, it appears that we are in some ways being listened to and i do like the story. (although we appear to hear the same lines of dialog no matter which choice we take in conversations)

However..... i have a few problems, not especially with the game but with a few other digs..... so, here goes....

The community........ I have come from SWG which IN MY OPINION is one of the best social communities out there, people helped each other out, not many arguments and very refreshing to come in and talk to people and meet people, its part of what made the game great, and i loved the game. the community here seem, a lot of the time (NOT ALL PEOPLE!!!) to be trolls, fan-boys and absolute nuisances. everytime there is a single critisism it seems everyone jumps on the poster like he is an animal, or trolls him, its barbaric.

SOME of the Developers....... I'm sorry, fanboys may disagree but do you not think they are playing this up a bit.... they posted some news of stats (THE OLD REPUBLIC™ JUMPS TO LIGHT SPEED), fair enough, but then they seem to rewrite the post (MOMENTUM SURGES FOR STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC DURING THE HOLIDAYS) 4 days later but updating the stats, im sorry but i dont want to hear the same thing over and over again and certainly not gloating or cockiness that is OVER THE TOP (NOTE THAT THIS IS SOME, I SAID SOME DEVELOPERS... NOT ALL!) an example of this is in the 'Your saga begins' video Greg Zeschuk refers to the old republic with this sentence 'Epic is a word that is so overused but honestly it just applies so well to star wars the old republic' [4:16]. and thats not all, James ohlen says 'I think this is their ultimate game' [7:29]. I also do not like being lied to, which brings me onto my next problem.

Social?......... I am sorry, but did i hear this right? you were hoping for a really social game? the only friends i have made in TOR are the ones i brought over from SWG, and even them i cant seem to play with a lot of the time, most of us are jedi knights so cant be in the same instance. I barely see people running about, sometimes even the main cities are empty, and when you do find people, especially on the forums. SOME (note i said SOME) people are just trolls or fanboys. In SWG i could go to the cantina and we would all chat away. in the old republic, chat is dead unless there are people looking for flashpoint groups.

With all that said the game is not that bad, in fact its brilliant, but NOT the BEST GAME EVER!!!! ZOMG!!! Not as good as some of the developers big it up to be. This has been a CIVILISED RANT.

/Civilised rant over

/Puts on flame suit

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

most of us are jedi knights so cant be in the same instance

I think there is an option that might fix that for you.

Options > Preferences > Social > Allow Access To Same Class Story Areas

I haven't tested this myself but it sounds like what you need. I assume the group leader (who owns the quest) would need to have this toggled on.

If you thought SWG had an excellent community...

Jesus dude, have you ever seen the Flurry/Starsider forums? Its all about yelling about Xaos or other people.

I only ventured into the starsider forums a couple of times, and it was not what I knew of the server really, I think most of the smacktards were on the forums rather than in game, though I did meet plenty in game. But in general I was in a few guilds of 50+ people that were totally awesome, and in the early days of cantina entertainer healing, the community really made that game.

It got progressively worse of course, and it was not without it's share of smacktards.

If you thought SWG had an excellent community...

Jesus dude, have you ever seen the Flurry/Starsider forums? Its all about yelling about Xaos or other people.

Lol dude, your talking about 2 severs, and that was about >1% of that servers community, this is 5000x worse.

I haven't tested this myself but it sounds like what you need. I assume the group leader (who owns the quest) would need to have this toggled on.

Ok thanks, i shall try that later

tbh i think the point made here about not seeing other people is a good one. you shall get no flame from me mate. but u will get flamed by the fanboys who blindly follow mythic dressed up as bioware

Thanks man, and i kinda guessed about the fanboy part

The community is what you make of it. When people stop being jerks, stop spamming, (LFG) stop being anti-social than there could be a community people need to put in an effort to communicate. /whisper to people while lfg or lfm... instead of being lazy be a leader, and have initiative.

I know where you're coming from Played SWG for awhile, as well as FFXI and you need a community in those.. game is part of the problem but the community itself is the problem and the solution. (Not talking directly to you OP, but the community itself)

Nothing but good experiences for me also. Great game.

As i iterated in my post, i did not say that i had really bad experiences, its a good game but i just do not see much social aspect, im thankful that they will improve guilds (which is why i did not post about guilds at first, i respect bioware for seeing its importance)

I'm sorry but I totally agree. SWG did social 100x better, before the dark times, before they nerfed socialization.

I like this game but it certainly does not promote socialization in any way.

Yeah, like how SWG promoted it with AFK doctor buffs or AFK Dancer/Music buffs.

If you were looking for SIMS:TOR, you came to the wrong place.

SWG was a solid game at launch, but it was awful compared to this game, and post-NGE is utter trash compared to this game.

Edited by Maigrey

OP.. compleatly agree, and when i get to quesh and see that there are a total of 6 ppl on the planet.. go eat re log and im in a que? thats rediculous

that doesnt work, you still have to play the quest for each person so a group of 2 knights would have to do the same quest twice with eachother so it would count, hence those big words popping up saying story owner when you enter a green zone

Yeah, like how SWG proted it with AFK doctor buffs or AFK Dancer/Music buffs.

If you were looking for SIMS:TOR, you came to the wrong place.

SWG was a solid game at launch, but it was awful compared to this game, and post-NGE is utter trash compared to this game.

MMO's are supposed to be social, im not asking for SIMS:TOR, im asking for an MMORPG..... you know.... why you pay £9 per month for a game where you play with PEOPLE over the internet and maybe make friends

MMO's are supposed to be social, im not asking for SIMS:TOR, im asking for an MMORPG..... you know.... why you pay £9 per month for a game where you play with PEOPLE over the internet and maybe make friends

I think he was agreeing with us, given he said the same thing as me. I saw no AFKers in the first few months. I certainly wasn't afk, and neither were most people I saw.

I do see.

You put letters together to make words...

Yay you.

This is an intelligent discussion, if your going to be a smart alec and not say anything to do with the topic at hand then the WOW forums are..... well you know where they are

I think he was agreeing with us, given he said the same thing as me. I saw no AFKers in the first few months. I certainly wasn't afk, and neither were most people I saw.

No I was disagreeing with the notion that SWG, being more social, made it a better game.

SWG forced you to be social, since that was the only content.

I can only farm Space Giraffes for so long.

No I was disagreeing with the notion that SWG, being more social, made it a better game.

SWG forced you to be social, since that was the only content.

I can only farm Space Giraffes for so long.

What is the attraction of an MMORPG.... answer that? see if you can do it without mentioning other players

If the game starts to fail (or has to downscale a lot due to subs, lets say), the people that remain will be your best shot at a good community. There are just too many gawkers and curiosity seekers from WoW and the greater Intrawebz here for it to be civil.

I have also taken to referring to this as "that game where no one talks" because my guild chat has never been so quiet. Everyone is so busy watching their interactive tele (a.k.a. cut-scenes) to socialize. Maybe that will end at 50 though since I hear there's not much to do there.