KotFE, KotET and Romance

Ylliarus

I hope there is indeed another twist because as it stands, if the datamined information is true and not a red herring or part of a larger plot, it makes me feel sick. And it also makes me completely terrified for other companions that shall not be named.

I feel like the player needs some foundations, and stripping all of them away is too much. Hey, maybe this is EA's secret plan to drive all the story players from the game so it can be all OPs and PvP all the time - totally destroy all they love about the story and companions.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are ladies really that desperate for a male force user romance, you'll go for the man that locked their characters away for 5 years, tried to kill them numerous times, nearly destroyed the galaxy and everything they worked for?

I think my sith ladies are far more dangerous than Arcann :p

Hey, maybe this is EA's secret plan to drive all the story players from the game so it can be all OPs and PvP all the time - totally destroy all they love about the story and companions.

Don't worry, I'm not a story player (I like it, but I play group content the most), yet I'm pissed as well.

Edited by Tadagyt

Story and romance is about to get another massive kick in the teeth if datamine is correct.

Im done. :(

Unless they stop this massive trainwreck of a next chapter before it goes live.

I'm devasted and heartbroken. I was really hopeful that things were going to be turned around and made better where these things are concerned and now this.

I don't play this game to be hurt. I don't pay money to be hurt.

How twisted is that...most people play games to escape their reality. I have to go back to reality to escape my game. How could they do this to us. :(

Edited by Lunafox

If the datamined information currently posted on Reddit turns out to be correct? I will cancel my sub the day the patch drops and never look back.

I've believed in you all this time, Keith. I've done my best to keep the faith and cheerlead on your behalf. But if that data is right... I will have no faith left. You should know better than to do this. Charles should know better than to do this. The writers should know better than to do this. If you decide to do it anyways for pure shock value... then I will no longer give your company money. Period.

Edited by AscendingSky

Just a reminder, and I am not a mod or Eric Musco of course, but try to keep the talk about datamined information as low as possible :) from what I hear it ties in with romances in the game so I can only deduce what is going to happen. As long as it is tied to this subject please do discuss it but preferably keep the mentioning of datamined content away :) just a friendly reminder of course, no hard feelings!

Going back to the subject at hand, the current amount of romances we got from KotFE and KotET is quite limited indeed. Correct me if I am wrong but we get Lana, Theron and Koth. Original companions returning excluded as they are original companions, not KotFE romances and they currently remain in a limbo of the unknown so we can't continue any romances there. Koth already falls away if you play Dark Side so that leaves you with two romance options. Players don't pick a romance on the go on their characters, from my own experience I always plan which character will romance who in their playthroughs. I am certain that people take into account Koth's betrayal when they start playing KotFE and that there are many who ignore the Koth romance because of this. Lana and Theron are the only two remaining. I believe it would be unwise for Bioware to do anything that might reduce even that amount of KotFE-KotET romances without adding new full blown romance narratives, not just [Flirt] options, but complete romances, into the story. Senya we can't romance, Arcann we can't romance yet, others in the story we can one-time flirt with and that's it (I repeat flirting is not adding a romance into the game). I mean, the amount of romances we have is lacking with all our companions not returning. Or returning like Malavai and Dorne but having their reunion be very disappointing.

Story team, I know you have your owm visions and plans for the future but please consider listening more to what the players want in the story. Yes, KotFE may have been your most successful expansion to date, I believe you, but has that success continued and translated in a rising amount of subscribers and players today, not back then, but today. Don't underestimate the influence of the narrative on the rise or fall of a playerbase. Multiple friends I had left the game once it became clear we were going to be stuck in the Eternal Alliance as its Commander without the ability to return to our original favtions. So keep that in mind, please.

Edited by Ylliarus

I heard too and I'm devasted and heartbroken. I was really hopeful that things were going to be turned around and made better where these things are concerned and now this.

I don't play this game to be hurt. I don't pay money to be hurt.

How twisted is that...most people play games to escape their reality. I have to go back to reality to escape my game. How could they do this to us. :(

I feel the same way. :( There had better be more to this. I was looking forward to the next story installment because I was hoping for the return of a companion, but instead of something positive to anticipate, I am now dreading it!

I was especially hoping that the story team would learn from the disappointment people felt at the brief and minimal returns of Dorne and Quinn, and give us something better in the future... But it seems more like they're going to give us something worse instead.

Edited by Estelindis

I was especially hoping that the story team would learn from the disappointment people felt at the brief and minimal returns of Dorne and Quinn, and give us something better in the future... But it seems more like they're going to give us something worse instead.

Did they ever explain why they handled the reunion with Malavai/Dorne so badly? I mean they are an original companion romance returning, there should have been at least multiple minutes of scenes where you reunite with them and not just "I'm back, we're good, kay?" "Kay, love ya". That's it, no depth or meaningful conversation. They put unnecessary amounts of resources into the Iokath pvp thing (which barely if not at all is being played, I think?) which they could have instead invested in more time with the old love interest returning.

Edited by Ylliarus

Did they ever explain why they handled the reunion with Malavai/Dorne so badly? I mean they are an original companion romance returning, there should have been at least multiple minutes of scenes where you reunite with them and not just "I'm back, we're good, kay?" "Kay, love ya". That's it, no depth or meaningful conversation. They put unnecessary amounts of resources into the Iokath pvp thing (which barely if not at all is being played, I think?) which they could have instead invested in more time with the old love interest returning.

Seriously. What I found especially maddening about the Dorne/Quinn return was Lana being all "I captured these assassins." Yet supposedly the Alliance was looking for our old companions and crew? They can't have been looking very blasted hard if Lana doesn't even recognize the husband or wife of the Alliance Commander! It's not just a bad moment in itself - it makes earlier parts of the story worse retroactively!

Seriously. What I found especially maddening about the Dorne/Quinn return was Lana being all "I captured these assassins." Yet supposedly the Alliance was looking for our old companions and crew? They can't have been looking very blasted hard if Lana doesn't even recognize the husband or wife of the Alliance Commander! It's not just a bad moment in itself - it makes earlier parts of the story worse retroactively!

It was bad writing. I can't believe I said it because until yesterday I was a big supporter of the devs and SWTOR, even though they went in a bad direction with story in my opinion. But now I am starting to understand the arguments people posed on these forums that I called cynical and negative.

No but seriously, first we got an overpowered third faction with a godmode fleet that was very difficult to stomach but I could do it. Then we got stuck in this abominable Eternal Alliance as its Commander without the option to return to our original factions. Where are the days of old SWTOR? The days of Oricon? I miss that all so badly, I miss being a part of the Republic or Empire, not being allied with them, part of them. It was fun being part of the top as a Dark Council member, Lord Wrath, Jedi Master on the Council. That was fine because we weren't the actual leaders of those factions. But being the Commander of the Alliance? I hate it.

Edited by Ylliarus

If the datamined information currently posted on Reddit turns out to be correct? I will cancel my sub the day the patch drops and never look back.

I've believed in you all this time, Keith. I've done my best to keep the faith and cheerlead on your behalf. But if that data is right... I will have no faith left. You should know better than to do this. Charles should know better than to do this. The writers should know better than to do this. If you decide to do it anyways for pure shock value... then I will no longer give your company money. Period.

I agree with you. I too have been trying to be positive and helpful and here comes another kick in the teeth. I very nearly left when Marr died. If I'd known this would happen, I'd have stayed away.

I'm getting really tired of paying Charles to hurt me. I've shed real tears over some of these things, I'm embarrassed to admit. This time, it's too much.

I feel the same way. :( There had better be more to this. I was looking forward to the next story installment because I was hoping for the return of a companion, but instead of something positive to anticipate, I am now dreading it!

It does seem to be only getting worse and more painful. :(

And I suppose Ylliarus is right. We'd best be careful about talking about this stuff. It's just hard not to, when it's so upsetting. :/

Edited by Lunafox

I agree with you. I too have been trying to be positive and helpful and here comes another kick in the teeth. I very nearly left when Marr died. If I'd known this would happen, I'd have stayed away.

I'm getting really tired of paying Charles to hurt me. I've shed real tears over some of these things, I'm embarrassed to admit. This time, it's too much.

And I suppose Ylliarus is right. We'd best be careful about talking about this stuff. It's just hard not to, when it's so upsetting. :/

No but you speak very much the truth. The story team has chosen a path that in my honest opinion isn't going to end well for SWTOR. I know that a lot is planned beforehand and that it's difficult to change course once the path ahead is settled. But then I wonder why they don't look at feedback from the past or what was succesful in the past. Not only did they do what every single MMORPG is doing that a sudden overpowered third faction swoops in and ruins all, but they try to be new and revolutionary instead of doing what made SWTOR successful in the first place. They steered the story of the game so far away from the original that I barely recognise it anymore and almost view the vanilla game and KotFE-KotET expansions as two seperate games, the latter being much worse quality than the former.

Edited by Ylliarus

Frankly it's baffling. They would have had to pay the VA's for a days work and they only did what would have been 5 minutes of voice over each. I mean they could have done so much more with it. The only thing I can think of is BW simply ran out of time to do anything meaningful so threw this out to try and keep people happy.

Frankly it's baffling. They would have had to pay the VA's for a days work and they only did what would have been 5 minutes of voice over each. I mean they could have done so much more with it. The only thing I can think of is BW simply ran out of time to do anything meaningful so threw this out to try and keep people happy.

It's starting to hurt you know? A game you support with your passion, energy, time and money is abandoning you. They try to appease us but I start to see they are doing it in a uncaring manner, just looking at statistics and going with that instead of truly looking at the meaning of posts and threads. They reply yes, they say they'll consider stuff yes, but in the end I am afraid they let their own vision outweigh the input of the playerbase far too much. It should be more equal you know, the balance between their vision and that of the playerbase. Because we're the ones who have to play and like it, if we don't, they're the ones that will be losing.

And the game already lost so many players and subscribers... when will they learn? Truly learn and see reason?

TBH they wouldn't have even needed to do that, they could have just remixed the voiceovers they already had. There are plenty of lines that would have worked - like tacking on "my love" to the "hello to you too" or "It's good to see you" with Lana.

It's not that it's an option that hurts (stories need drama, after all) so much as it's an option that makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO SENSE for the story and the characters.

But it's a trend that's been going on since KotFE. What sense did the Eternal Empire have? Vitiate having secretly built yet another Empire in the depths of space? What sense did the Alliance have, putting us at the head of it? What sense did all the companions leaving us have while we spent years with them IRL liking them and getting to know them, only to have them be in a limbo of the unknown return date? What sense did the hordes of other companions flocking to us have, so that they now sit in my contacts tab untouched, completely untouched? What sense did the romance options from KotFE and KotET have if they were just flyby kiss and hug scenes with the occasional flirt option?

If you ask me, the entire direction SWTOR went has lost sense.

I just read it again and I think it might not be as bad as we feared. I suspect there is a lot more to it.

Remember Chapter 2 of the IA vanilla story?

I just read it again and I think it might not be as bad as we feared. I suspect there is a lot more to it.

Remember Chapter 2 of the IA vanilla story?

Maybe it's the initial broken hearts from hearing the news. I pray there is more to it, please, let there be more to it.

It was bad writing. I can't believe I said it because until yesterday I was a big supporter of the devs and SWTOR, even though they went in a bad direction with story in my opinion.

The Zakuul story isn't all bad. I actually think that it has many great moments. There are some point of divergence that give opportunity for roleplaying, that showed a variety of consequences to our actions and let us feel like ours characters are distinct from each other. Not perfect by any means - I could list many particular issues if that was the topic... There are many moments where one character or other doesn't really belong. But I don't think it took a serious nosedive until Iokath. And then I hoped that fan feedback would be considered and the next story installment would be better.

No but seriously, first we got an overpowered third faction with a godmode fleet that was very difficult to stomach but I could do it. Then we got stuck in this abominable Eternal Alliance as its Commander without the option to return to our original factions. Where are the days of old SWTOR? The days of Oricon? I miss that all so badly, I miss being a part of the Republic or Empire, not being allied with them, part of them. It was fun being part of the top as a Dark Council member, Lord Wrath, Jedi Master on the Council. That was fine because we weren't the actual leaders of those factions. But being the Commander of the Alliance? I hate it.

I also miss our old factions. We had a discussion previously about how it would've been interesting for Imperial characters to secretly plot with/against Acina during KotET ch 2. I definitely would've liked something of that ilk. But for some characters the third faction makes sense: not in terms of the conveniently overpowered fleet (bah) but more in terms of a group where people of different factions are willing to cooperate. By forcing everyone to pick Republic or Empire on Iokath, those who wanted to stay neutral or build consensus are sidelined. So yes: I do miss the old factions, but I'd like the writing of the return of these factions to be better and offer something more to those who prefer the Alliance.

Most of all, I would like the writers to be fair to the players. Different players choose different things, which will have different consequences. This is fine, as long as the consequences are in harmony with the spirit of the choices. Koth is a great example of this. Who he is as a person is very clear (even if there are a few silly writing moments like "he was always good to Zakuul"). Except in cases where players fell afoul of bugs, it should've been very clear what we needed to do to stay on his good side. So players who share his values are rewarded by his loyalty, and players who don't are rewarded by eventually being able to get revenge on him. Different results, but each is satisfying in its own way.

Now, I don't mean that there should never be twists and turns. A really good surprise is a thrill. But it needs to make sense once it's revealed. Revan's identity in KotOR is a good example. The agent story also has several events that I didn't expect when I played for the first time.

When it comes to romance, which is a favourite part of the story for many players, the player shouldn't have the rug pulled out from under them. Some examples may help. Consider the agent's romance with Kaliyo. It's very clear from page one that Kaliyo is a charming, anarchist sociopath. If an agent loves her, he knows that the Empire is just a paycheck to her - that doesn't stop him from caring about her (maybe even makes her more attractive to some agents). When she acts against the interests of the Empire and/or general morality, perhaps he shrugs (in apathy or admiration), or looks away guiltily, or finally puts his foot down and says they're through. Unless he's a complete fool, he doesn't gasp and ask what happened to the Kaliyo he fell in love with! This is her. I happen to think that Kaliyo is written really well (not withstanding my lack of enjoyment of the many corridors of her KotFE chapter).

An actual example of pulling the rug out from under the player's feet is Jacob from Mass Effect cheating on female Shepard between ME2 and ME3. I think his romance was terrible and wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, but the players who chose him presumably liked it. And, come ME3, they're just out of luck. "Whoops! Guess you chose the wrong LI, lol!" That's something we don't need. And frankly it's happened too often with male LIs in Bioware games.

So, whatever the final outcome of the next story installment is ('cos I'm willing to consider that there might be more to it than meets the eye), it had better be more than a cheap shock that doesn't fit the character in question and carelessly discards a relationship that many players care about.

Edited by Estelindis

But it's a trend that's been going on since KotFE. What sense did the Eternal Empire have? Vitiate having secretly built yet another Empire in the depths of space? What sense did the Alliance have, putting us at the head of it? What sense did all the companions leaving us have while we spent years with them IRL liking them and getting to know them, only to have them be in a limbo of the unknown return date? What sense did the hordes of other companions flocking to us have, so that they now sit in my contacts tab untouched, completely untouched? What sense did the romance options from KotFE and KotET have if they were just flyby kiss and hug scenes with the occasional flirt option?

If you ask me, the entire direction SWTOR went has lost sense.

The SWTOR romances have never shown more than flirts, hugs or kisses. Its a rating mmo thing as opposed to games like Mass Effect with a higher rating.

Koths romance hasnt had much but Theron and Lana throughout have had quite good, slow burn romances with a lot of romance content compaired to most of biowares games. Theron is one of my favourites of all the bioware games ive played to date, which is a lot. Aric is my other fav, funny how they both come from swtor.

Therons is quite indepth if you pay attention. He is somewhat shy / concerned with public displays of affection. Does not trust easily. Is usually a loner. Probably had girls before but never anything serious. He takes a long time to say I love you, just as long to be comfortable flirting with others present. He always showed it in other ways before then. Like the fact that he waited 5 years for a relationship that wasn't defined at that point in time while your character was frozen.

It was a great romance and a great romance story to date. Here is hoping this latest development is handled with care and doesn't rip everything apart by making him ooc now. This now has the potential to add an extra depth to that romance, or totally rip it all apart depending on how it is handled. I am hopeful for the former.

Alright, I apologise first of all for what I wrote before, I wrote those statements during a period of heightened emotions due to learning about something and someone... now my head is clear again and perhaps it all won't be as bad as we think! Now, let us refrain from further mentioning datamined content as that is against the forums rules :) Also, let's try to steer back towards the original subject of this thread which was about the Romance in and around the latest two expanions KotFE, KotET and Iokath.

The Zakuul story isn't all bad. I actually think that it has many great moments. There are some point of divergence that give opportunity for roleplaying, that showed a variety of consequences to our actions and let us feel like ours characters are distinct from each other. Not perfect by any means - I could list many particular issues if that was the topic... There are many moments where one character or other doesn't really belong. But I don't think it took a serious nosedive until Iokath. And then I hoped that fan feedback would be considered and the next story installment would be better.

I apologise as I must have expressed myself incorrectly. What I meant was that the Malavai/Dorne reunion was badly written, or at least, it was incredibly rushed and I had the feeling like the implemented it as "oh and let's not forget this, quickly squeeze it in". I really had wanted for my Warrior and Malavai, wife and husband after all, to have a much more meaningful moment with one another. But the same happened to Vette and a male Warrior even if they were romanced. Vette treats them as if they are a stranger almost and as if they didn't spent years and years together fighting the enemies of the Sith Empire. Okay, the focus in that chapter was getting into the vault, I get that, which is why inbetween scenes with love interests like we had the companion dialogue scenes in the vanilla game could have helped in making the reunion feel more meaningful. I would have forgiven them for rushing it a tad in the main story if outside we had received a few minutes of conversation with our romanced companions, be it Vette as male warrior or Malavai as female.

The SWTOR romances have never shown more than flirts, hugs or kisses. Its a rating mmo thing as opposed to games like Mass Effect with a higher rating.

Koths romance hasnt had much but Theron and Lana throughout have had quite good, slow burn romances with a lot of romance content compaired to most of biowares games. Theron is one of my favourites of all the bioware games ive played to date, which is a lot. Aric is my other fav, funny how they both come from swtor.

Therons is quite indepth if you pay attention. He is somewhat shy / concerned with public displays of affection. Does not trust easily. Is usually a loner. Probably had girls before but never anything serious. He takes a long time to say I love you, just as long to be comfortable flirting with others present. He always showed it in other ways before then. Like the fact that he waited 5 years for a relationship that wasn't defined at that point in time while your character was frozen.

It was a great romance and a great romance story to date. Here is hoping this latest development is handled with care and doesn't rip everything apart by making him ooc now. This now has the potential to add an extra depth to that romance, or totally rip it all apart depending on how it is handled. I am hopeful for the former.

And yes, the romances were nice and pleasant when not compared to the scenes we got in the vanilla game, as I said in a few posts before. Like I said above, I felt that even the scenes that we got were rushed in the main story. Of course everyone experiences the story in their own way, but that slow-burner I couldn't come to feel in the story while I of course wanted to. Dialogue scenes outside of the chapters would have aided tremendously in that as they would target the romance options specifically and could show various aspects of the subject of the chapter. There is just a lot of untapped potential in such companion dialogue scenes, but what bothers me the most with it that it was not implemented is that Bioware does know how to make such good scenes. They are more than capable of writing engaging and touching scenes with companions we had multiple examples of those in the original game. However, the Devs decided to put time and resources into things like the Eternal Championship which could have been otherwise invested in dialogue scenes with your love interests. Wouldn't have to be for all the companions as that would be too much, but at least for the romance options it would have been great.

Edited by Ylliarus

I feel the same way, Theron is awesome. I was sorta "meh" about him at first but he's really gotten a lot of good content and now is probably my favorite LI. I kind of feel sorry for the Lana romancers, we still don't know anything about her, really, except she's the boss :D

And I'm about 30% worried about him lol, but there's nothing to be done but to wait and see. The fact that he's such a large character, with a whole book and comic about him, gives me more hope that they wont just throw him away like they did Jace.

I feel the same way, Theron is awesome. I was sorta "meh" about him at first but he's really gotten a lot of good content and now is probably my favorite LI. I kind of feel sorry for the Lana romancers, we still don't know anything about her, really, except she's the boss :D

And I'm about 30% worried about him lol, but there's nothing to be done but to wait and see. The fact that he's such a large character, with a whole book and comic about him, gives me more hope that they wont just throw him away like they did Jace.

I never could get behind Jace Malcom I always found him to be slightly annoying. But Theron is one of my favourites as is the Annihilation novel, I really like that book the most in the entire SWTOR series of books. I really came to feel for the character there so I was kinda bummed when we didn't hear too much of those things ingame. Like there were a few little references made but nothing else. Theron talking about his past missions maybe even Teffith would be excellent material for the companion dialogue scenes inbetween the chapters...

Edited by Ylliarus

I never could get behind Jace Malcom I always found him to be slightly annoying. But Theron is one of my favourites as is the Annihilation novel, I really like that book the most in the entire SWTOR series of books. I really came to feel for the character there so I was kinda bummed when we didn't hear too much of those things ingame. Like there were a few little references made but nothing else. Theron talking about his past missions maybe even Teffith would be excellent material for the companion dialogue scenes inbetween the chapters...

Yeah! I'd love to see Teffith in game, she was hilarious in the book.

I really liked that book, too. I like how Theron was sort of a funny disaster, always injuring himself and breaking things, yet managed to bring down a Darth and her armada wearing nothing but his tighty whities. :D I know he's not supposed to be force sensitive, but you gotta think the force is on his side, at least.

I don't know, the more I think about it, the more the next patch sounds like the sort of bat **** crazy plan he would come up with. Like, *** Theron, there probably were at least a million easier ways to do that.

idk why I spoiler tagged this, like there's one person out there who hasn't heard and can't read context clues. :D