KotFE, KotET and Romance

Ylliarus

I'm pretty sure that's Balisk who is married. Not Novo. His first partner, Tanek, always dies, whether by Lana or Vaylin, and he gets another partner, Balisk, who sends the mail if spared and is married.

So Novo who is a man has a husband? And you people want to romance him?

Why tho? I don't understand the same gender romance appeal.

Edited by RevorteX

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Novo who is a man has a husband? And you people want to romance him?

Why tho? I don't understand the same gender romance appeal.

No, Novo actually doesn't have a husband; that was a mistake that was clarified above. He's a male Force user who could potentially be a romance interest for both female and male characters. Novo's partner in the Knights is actually the guy who is married.

As far as the appeal of same-gender romance, it's no different than opposite gender. People are attracted to the people they're attracted to. Some of us are straight; some are gay, some are bisexual. So are the characters. Really not hard.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

No, Novo actually doesn't have a husband; that was a mistake that was clarified above. He's a male Force user who could potentially be a romance interest for both female and male characters. Novo's partner in the Knights is actually the guy who is married.

As far as the appeal of same-gender romance, it's no different than opposite gender. People are attracted to the people they're attracted to. Some of us are straight; some are gay, some are bisexual. So are the characters. Really not hard.

Aye, Novo's fellow Knight who is called Balisk btw is married and has a husband. If you spare them both it's him who sends a message he's glad he could return to his husband (which really makes my heart melt everytime I read that message <3)

And true, because we play the game as sometimes a reflection of ourselves so if you like people of your own gender like me then same gender romances are of high appeal to you. You'd be surprised how many people from the LGBT community play this game :) I was in a RP guild once that contained more non-straight people than straight haha. So naturally gay romances will appeal to them, but I am certain that a lot of progressive straight people who like diversity in their romances will also find same gender romances interesting.

No I don't want to be discrimantive at all,don't get me wrong

I am just following the concept of Star Wars and I sometimes choose romances that are often logical to the characters they play.

Like for instance the Warrior story - Jaesa is a more likely romance choice,while other people choose Vette. I chose Jaesa as it somehow appealed to me that it's logical a master to fall in love with his apprentice.

Aye, Novo's fellow Knight who is called Balisk btw is married and has a husband. If you spare them both it's him who sends a message he's glad he could return to his husband (which really makes my heart melt everytime I read that message <3)

And true, because we play the game as sometimes a reflection of ourselves so if you like people of your own gender like me then same gender romances are of high appeal to you. You'd be surprised how many people from the LGBT community play this game :) I was in a RP guild once that contained more non-straight people than straight haha. So naturally gay romances will appeal to them, but I am certain that a lot of progressive straight people who like diversity in their romances will also find same gender romances interesting.

Totally - there are some players who seem to only feel comfortable choosing romances that are in line with their real-world orientation, but others who will explore both same and opposite gender relationships if they feel they work for a character. I am attracted to both and when I went into my main SW story, I was open to whomever spoke to my character/me. It ended up being same-gender romance. :)

I liked seeing all the names checking in on the LGBT players thread - I was pleasantly surprised to see how many LGBT players there are. :)

Totally - there are some players who seem to only feel comfortable choosing romances that are in line with their real-world orientation, but others who will explore both same and opposite gender relationships if they feel they work for a character. I am attracted to both and when I went into my main SW story, I was open to whomever spoke to my character/me. It ended up being same-gender romance. :)

I liked seeing all the names checking in on the LGBT players thread - I was pleasantly surprised to see how many LGBT players there are. :)

But you raise a valid point regarding the real-world and how in a way as players we translate it into the game. Because in real life we also desire and yearn meaningful relationships with depth. We take the time and care to get to know our loved ones, be they romantic or another form of relationship like family or friends. While we can't have something of the sorts in the same manner of detail and intricacy implemented in the game, I think it is something that we want to experience to an extent with our companions. They are after all our followers, especially those who become our friends or love interests. It's why I believe it is so important to have meaningful and engaging dialogues scenes with them inbetween chapters of both KotFE and KotET.

Completely agreed.

I think the romances with Theron and Lana were done really well in SOR.

In KOTFE they were both not as good. And of course all other companions got way less screentime when it came to romance content.

Exactly! It's not like Bioware doesn't know how to do it because in previous content they did it amazingly. With KotFE and KotET however it felt rushed and hastily put together. Again, if the resources that went into things like the Eternal Championship were instead put into companion dialogue scenes inbetween chapters, both expansions would have been even better and given the feeling that even small conversations with your allies, friends or love interest were meaningful. It would have reduced the feeling they're interchangeable furniture a lot at least.

I know part of the reason that the mail in question stuck in my head, even if slightly off was because it made me go "wait, what...oh....OH." the first time I read it. Definitely wasn't expecting it, but in retrospect, it was a nice touch.

Personally, I'm kinda torn on the issue because just making characters romanceable for both sexes feels a little...lazy. I do like it when possible romance interests are fleshed out enough to have particular preferences (Dragon Age Inquisition handled it really well, IMO). On the other hand, there are so few options in the game as it is, that maybe making it feel a little bit generic for the sake of keeping those options open is still the better choice. Hard for me to say on that one.

/signed on the first post. I really agree there should be more romance content, not just more content but deep and meaningful content. I think you will be able to marry Lana or Theron at the end of the KotET storyline, it isn't over yet. :)

And/or when all the other companions return.

/signed on the first post. I really agree there should be more romance content, not just more content but deep and meaningful content. I think you will be able to marry Lana or Theron at the end of the KotET storyline, it isn't over yet. :)

And/or when all the other companions return.

I sincerely hope that is the case! As I really missed that opportunity in what we got from KotFE and KotET thus far. It could also be nice to have like a renewal of the marital vows with original companion romances or in the case of Ashara Zavros actually have the marriage. We never got cutscenes for it in the vanilla game so it would be amazing to actually have marriage scenes. I truly and sincerely would want to see a Sith wedding happen!

If it Comes to Theron and Lana I also would love to see some more in depth romance time. Why do we only get the occasional hug here and there. Why are we never allowed to spend some time alone with our love interest, having some lovingly conversations?

Ok there is a war going on but everyone needs some time off from that...just at least some moments of normal life.

A romantic candle light dinner, an early morning after waking up next to our love interest and having some soul-mate talk, or maybe some romantic dancing and talking all alone with our love interest under a starry sky.

The romances for Theron and Lana actually should be big love stories but they aren't....instead they feel rushed and shallow.

And there is another detail that always bothered me. Every companion has his/ her random greeting lines when you summone him/ her. But a romanced companion should have different greeting lines. Something like: "Hey sweetheart/ darling"...just something that fits the character but shows we are in love.

I mean why do Theron and Lana greet their big love the same way they are greeting anyone else?

For me this alway felt kinda immersion breaking and I really wish the devs would take the time to record and implement some additional romance-greeting lines at least for Theron and Lana. I mean their voice actors are regulary working for this game...so some additional romance greeting lines could be recorded easily.

But you raise a valid point regarding the real-world and how in a way as players we translate it into the game. Because in real life we also desire and yearn meaningful relationships with depth. We take the time and care to get to know our loved ones, be they romantic or another form of relationship like family or friends. While we can't have something of the sorts in the same manner of detail and intricacy implemented in the game, I think it is something that we want to experience to an extent with our companions. They are after all our followers, especially those who become our friends or love interests. It's why I believe it is so important to have meaningful and engaging dialogues scenes with them inbetween chapters of both KotFE and KotET.

I agree completely. We get attached. We do see them as friends, and we get emotionally invested in them. One of the top things people ask for on this forum is when one companion or another is coming back. They don't care that the companion can be summoned for battle via the Companion Locator - it's about wanting to have that companion back in the story and interacting again, not just having an extra fight partner.

There's so much they could do to give us more time with Lana, Theron or our other romance interests, both in terms of cut scenes and quests, and just the little things. I liked what they did in in the Iokath chapters in KOTET, where your LI has a special convo with you when you click on them, and an extra line or two for Lana if you're romancing her (I'd image that is the same for Theron?) and during the droid fight scene there's another little bit (at least for Lana - she's calling you 'my love' while you're fighting, which is all sorts of awwww).

In Forged Alliances, meeting Lana in the cantina and having two more discussions with her was great (I'd imagine there are similar meetings on the Republic side with Theron?)- yes, it was mostly about the missions, but why not do that again, at least?

It's for this reason I think that having more interaction and more substantial time with the companions and LIs is so vital - I am totally on the same page.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I agree completely. We get attached. We do see them as friends, and we get emotionally invested in them. One of the top things people ask for on this forum is when one companion or another is coming back. They don't care that the companion can be summoned for battle via the Companion Locator - it's about wanting to have that companion back in the story and interacting again, not just having an extra fight partner.

There's so much they could do to give us more time with Lana, Theron or our other romance interests, both in terms of cut scenes and quests, and just the little things. I liked what they did in in the Iokath chapters in KOTET, where your LI has a special convo with you when you click on them, and an extra line or two for Lana if you're romancing her (I'd image that is the same for Theron?) and during the droid fight scene there's another little bit (at least for Lana - she's calling you 'my love' while you're fighting, which is all sorts of awwww).

In Forged Alliances, meeting Lana in the cantina and having two more discussions with her was great (I'd imagine there are similar meetings on the Republic side with Theron?)- yes, it was mostly about the missions, but why not do that again, at least?

It's for this reason I think that having more interaction and more substantial time with the companions and LIs is so vital - I am totally on the same page.

We seem to be on the same wavelength a lot which is very nice to see ^_^ basically what you say I have little more to add, I very much agree with it. In SoR we indeed got those cantina scenes with both Theron and Lana depending on your faction but they were so nice, intimate even though the subject was remotely intimate at all. They just gave Lana and Theron a very personal vibe which is one of the reasons why they're so liked I think.

And I agree little things such as being called "my love" or something in that sense would add a lot of immersion into the story. Currently it's a bit impersonal which is a pity as it's often the little things that supplement the big things in stories, books, movies and games. It's the little details that add the magic to a narrative. Too often I miss that in SWTOR, but absolutely adore it in for example Game of Thrones. The level of detail there is the reason why it is so successful (among other reasons of course). I really think the story team should look to materials like Game of Thrones for inspiration and an example of what makes an epic story.

If it Comes to Theron and Lana I also would love to see some more in depth romance time. Why do we only get the occasional hug here and there. Why are we never allowed to spend some time alone with our love interest, having some lovingly conversations?

Ok there is a war going on but everyone needs some time off from that...just at least some moments of normal life.

A romantic candle light dinner, an early morning after waking up next to our love interest and having some soul-mate talk, or maybe some romantic dancing and talking all alone with our love interest under a starry sky.

The romances for Theron and Lana actually should be big love stories but they aren't....instead they feel rushed and shallow.

And there is another detail that always bothered me. Every companion has his/ her random greeting lines when you summone him/ her. But a romanced companion should have different greeting lines. Something like: "Hey sweetheart/ darling"...just something that fits the character but shows we are in love.

I mean why do Theron and Lana greet their big love the same way they are greeting anyone else?

For me this alway felt kinda immersion breaking and I really wish the devs would take the time to record and implement some additional romance-greeting lines at least for Theron and Lana. I mean their voice actors are regulary working for this game...so some additional romance greeting lines could be recorded easily.

Mass Effect is a perfect example of what you say. Yes, the Reapers are out there destroying all life in the Milky Way but Commander Shepard still has time for their companions and crew mates to talk with them and interact with one another. And not just in a on the fly moment, no, you get deep and meaningful conversations. So it's not like Bioware is incapable of it, quite the contrary. However, the resources they havr are spent on different stuff and not the thing that is their strongest point, namely story. Or at least, it isn't properly being invested in. The lack of companion conversations in the Alliance base inbetween chapters is a major flaw of both KotFE and KotET in my opinion.

Story and romance is about to get another massive kick in the teeth if datamine is correct.

Im done. :(

Unless they stop this massive trainwreck of a next chapter before it goes live.

Edited by Suzsi

Story and romance is about to get another massive kick in the teeth if datamine is correct.

In the words of Grathan's cyborg expert from the Inquisitor storyline: I don't want to know, I don't want to know!

Also, a thought that just crossed my head for a male Force User romance option for female toons: what if Darth Marr had a good-looking son that was a Sith Lord? Would be nice to have that connection to Marr and romance his son hehe

Edited by Ylliarus

Given that they give you an Arcann romance....could Vaylin have been difficult to do?

Arcann's list of crimes start with turning 5 planets to powder, yet he gets saved??? He should have been first on the chopping block, even before Koth.

Edited by light_senshi

Given that they give you an Arcann romance....could Vaylin have been difficult to do?

I wasn't aware they give an Arcann romance.

And that said, a Vaylin romance is pretty much a moot point at this stage, but I still have to question...why? She's just so emotionally stunted. Even if she had been redeemed like can happen to Arcann, she'd still have the mind of a child like before. Any sort of romance would've been supremely creepy.

Dittos. I just canceled my subscription. :mad: It's so out of character I can't even begin to make it work, especially for a Light side, not Empire, sided with the Republic character.

I had to hop over and read it. Normally datamining gives me something to look forward to since Bioware has been so tight lipped about new content, but boy, this one had better be a red herring! I don't know if I can stomach continuing if this goes live. They already totally ruined my favorite companion's return. Now they are threatening to utterly destroy my second favorite companion. And to add insult to injury they are threatening to return my third favorite companion in nothing more than an alliance alert! Over time my gears have been shifting. Years ago I was down right excited for expansions. KotFE/ET/Iokath left me feeling very ho-hum about new content. Umbara now has me out-right dreading new content. What the hell are they thinking? Are they trying to actively drive away their players?

I had to hop over and read it. Normally datamining gives me something to look forward to since Bioware has been so tight lipped about new content, but boy, this one had better be a red herring!

Y'know, it occurs to me...it might be. All datamining provides is a name, and it's so rampant in this game, that maybe there was some forethought and they deliberately put the wrong character's name in, just to screw with people? That's probably giving them too much credit, but I gotta admit, it'd be a masterstroke if it did happen.

Well I called it, didn't I? I'm not concerned, because I know there's going to be another twist. The only thing that sucks about it is the length of time it's going to take to get to it. We're going to have that **** hanging over our heads for months while we wait.

Also, the returning companion ...... :( SO ****** It's like they asked us what would be the worst way a female love interest could come back and then did it just for the lulz. We're getting crapped on all over again.

Well I called it, didn't I? I'm not concerned, because I know there's going to be another twist. The only thing that sucks about it is the length of time it's going to take to get to it. We're going to have that **** hanging over our heads for months while we wait.

Also, the returning companion ...... :( SO ****** It's like they asked us what would be the worst way a female love interest could come back and then did it just for the lulz. We're getting crapped on all over again.

It could still have cut scenes? Very daft if it does not :(. Annoyed that he is agent only though, pretty much ensures he will have no part in future story content.

Vector was my third fav romance of them all. Aric, Theron then Vector followed closely by Quinn.

This is all getting stupidly annoying.

Been humming about canceling my sub for a while now. Ill be honest I loved Kotfe and Kotet. Chapters per month with new bits and new romance content was enjoyable, something to look forward to. Now its a big jumbled mess of not fun.

Edited by Suzsi

After reading the full dialog I agree with you. There is going to be another twist and they had better not drag it out for months. My patience is thin.