Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

Anyone else notice MORE drops of crew skill missions though? I remember pre-nerf I was getting VERY few @ 400/400; now I'm seeing 340 missions dropping ~ 50% of the time.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been EASILY selling most for 5-20k credits (made almost 500k easily over the past 2 days from AH alone).

Still seems viable to me

tl;dr: lockboxes may give less credits, but don't forget the crew skill missions you can sell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why in the heck are the slicing nodes still on a 20 minute timer while the others are on a 5 minute timer?

Don't forget they reduced the amount of Slicing Nodes too.

at least let us be able to farm like a normal profession.

Slicing is not a regular gathering crew skill. Slicer can not farm mats to profit from crafting.

We just get cashboxes. Nerfed and halved in amount and respawn.

Wonderful skill, isn't it?

Don't forget they reduced the amount of Slicing Nodes too.

Slicing is not a regular gathering crew skill. Slicer can not farm mats to profit from crafting.

We just get cashboxes. Nerfed and halved in amount and respawn.

Wonderful skill, isn't it?

nope.everyfileextensionknowntomankind

cashboxes, augments (usually don't sell for much, but oh well), and crew skills (sell for a LOT usually)

just wanna add my 2 pence here

i've got slicing 400/400, didn't cap it until after the nerf, but i did notice how instead of coming back from a mission 200+ credits in profit, that they are barely breaking even.

not a big issue though, as whilst levelling i made sure to pick up absolutely every slicing station i could and as each one gave me 1200+ credits, it was pure profit.

what made me smile was looting a white lockbox and a blue lockbox from the same node on hoth - the white had 1200-ish credits, the blue had 6000!

so although sending out your companions on crewskill missions isn't necessarily profitable, running around a planet picking up class 5 and 6 lockboxes can be and by a much larger margin than you'd get from crewskill missions.

yes, it was nice the way it was before and i wouldn't mind a slight buff so that crewskill missions didn't cost me money rather than make me money at max level, but as there is a way to just make pure profit without any of the hassle of crafting and selling in trade or on the GTN, i think you're all being a bit overdramatic.

i've spent literally hundreds of man hours farming ore in WoW, to spend a similar amount of time farming pure credits is no skin off my nose. i just wish the blue and above quality boxes dropped a little more frequently to promote this as the way to succeed with slicing so as to make it an active player crewskill rather than an inactive crewmember mission skill.

My playstyle it probably different than most. I have two nights a week where I can level, but in the morning and weekends I can find time to log on and send companion out to craft (slice).

I just took a lvl 14 character to 400 in slicing. Went from 6k to 70k in the process. Doubled my credits over the weekend again, but only because I got two purple missions dropped. I was seriously considering dropping slicing, and relearning it since it was very profitable from 1-400 (6k to 70k) but just break even once I hit 400.

My thoughts are the slicing should probably be adjusted. I'd adjust the crit rate up, right now it is has Las Vegas slot machine rates. But perhaps bring the credits for crit lockboxes down to compensate for the purple mission drops, since that is where I found the credits to be.

I apologixe if this has already been covered, I didn't read all 114 pages of post.

Anyone else notice MORE drops of crew skill missions though? I remember pre-nerf I was getting VERY few @ 400/400; now I'm seeing 340 missions dropping ~ 50% of the time.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been EASILY selling most for 5-20k credits (made almost 500k easily over the past 2 days from AH alone).

Still seems viable to me

tl;dr: lockboxes may give less credits, but don't forget the crew skill missions you can sell

You can get missions from TH though, in addition to other green/blue/purple/orange loot and cash

Edited by sangreal

slicing fix:

level cap the missions (while you are at it level cap the missions for all other crew skills as well)

this will prevent lower level characters from being able to generate large amounts of credits. The current system makes slicing at end game either a loosing proposition or negligible income compared to 10k for a daily quest that takes me 5 minutes or 300-500 credits off each set of republic scum i pull.

Crafters are complaining at the high price and inability to access missions gained by slicing, supply and demand dictates that with less people doing slicing missions (i still have slicing but no longer send idle companions out, they remain idle on my ship, maybe they are playing pazak) price will go up, secondly the slicing community is pissed, so a large number of us just stopped selling them on the GTN, kind of a f u to those that got our crew skill nerfed in the first place, so i either give mine to guildies that need them or i vendor them.

the thing is at 50, all the crew skills are very lacking, cyberteck and armstech have noted that 8 daily tokens gets you better gear then they could craft. the end game pvp gear and raid gear has locked armor mods so orange gear becomes useless as well. with all these problems i'm not surprised slicing was treated the way it was it was one of the only worthwhile skills, they need to address crafting in this game and the day they do that they need to put slicing back to where it was with the addition of level caps on missions.

till then they need to say something so we can stop maxing out post limits speculating on what they intend to do, and pissing each other off with the same arguments for and against the nerf over and over again.

Spening 1400 and getting 1000 puts it in line with Treasure Hunting.

I spend 1400 on a chest, and most of the time it's 800-1000 credits. My other character, slicer was making mad bank, but this now makes it in line with other crafting skills.

slicing fix:

level cap the missions (while you are at it level cap the missions for all other crew skills as well)

this will prevent lower level characters from being able to generate large amounts of credits. The current system makes slicing at end game either a loosing proposition or negligible income compared to 10k for a daily quest that takes me 5 minutes or 300-500 credits off each set of republic scum i pull.

Crafters are complaining at the high price and inability to access missions gained by slicing, supply and demand dictates that with less people doing slicing missions (i still have slicing but no longer send idle companions out, they remain idle on my ship, maybe they are playing pazak) price will go up, secondly the slicing community is pissed, so a large number of us just stopped selling them on the GTN, kind of a f u to those that got our crew skill nerfed in the first place, so i either give mine to guildies that need them or i vendor them.

the thing is at 50, all the crew skills are very lacking, cyberteck and armstech have noted that 8 daily tokens gets you better gear then they could craft. the end game pvp gear and raid gear has locked armor mods so orange gear becomes useless as well. with all these problems i'm not surprised slicing was treated the way it was it was one of the only worthwhile skills, they need to address crafting in this game and the day they do that they need to put slicing back to where it was with the addition of level caps on missions.

till then they need to say something so we can stop maxing out post limits speculating on what they intend to do, and pissing each other off with the same arguments for and against the nerf over and over again.

What would you do about underlevel chars that have already maxxed slicing. Reduce the levels available to them or grandfather them?

What would you do about underlevel chars that have already maxxed slicing. Reduce the levels available to them or grandfather them?

they would not have slicing skill reduced but they would no longer be allowed to send companions on higher level missions. or at least that is what i would do.

they would not have slicing skill reduced but they would no longer be allowed to send companions on higher level missions. or at least that is what i would do.

I guess I could get behind this if the same mentality was applied to all crew skills. Otherwise shouldn't make the players feel pain for what might have been a bad design decision.

Probably a better fix would be to make the pay out rate scale based on character level.

I guess I could get behind this if the same mentality was applied to all crew skills. Otherwise shouldn't make the players feel pain for what might have been a bad design decision.

All crew skills should be restricted by level. That's the 'nerf' that should have been made in the first place, rather than target slicing.

All crew skills should be restricted by level. That's the 'nerf' that should have been made in the first place, rather than target slicing.

It feels like it's too late to make this change, probably because I'm too close to it. After I have a lvl 14 with 400 slicing.

The damage is already done. The trust on the Dev team has sink like a hammer in the sea.

Now it IS time for BW to be humble, restore Slicing and FIX the problem without killing the skill. And we would love some apologies too.

Slicing won't be restored the way it was, because it was broken as it was, and I say that speaking as someone who used it to make incredible amounts of money in a short period of time. I know people who used it longer that managed to make millions off of it, and that's after all their training, mounts, cargo bays, inventory space, etc.

On the other hand, I think that augments should be given a more useful role, because they are a pretty neat idea. I'd love to be able to add augment slots to existing equipment, for example.

Augments as they are do not sell for much money, usually far below the cost of the mission.

Honestly how many augments have you used so far? Maybe 1-2...? And you probably got those augments for ~1,000 - 2,000 credits if you used the GTN.

The only thing worth any money from slicing are the patterns, and those are pretty rare...

But "Slicing is a gathering skill!!" Well then what is the point of slicing, I could just take scavaging and sell the materials on the GTN.

Edited by Purlana

I find that this skill shouldn't have been there in its money-printing incarnation in the first place.

There shouldn't be such thing as a "crafting skill for non-crafters", that's a complete contradiction in the first place.

I'm not huge on crafting myself, but each other mission skill has some sort of solid place in the merry-go round of crew skills, slicing doesn't.

Even though I have 400 slicing, I don't want to return to it's previous form, that was OP, plain and simple.

It should however, find some new uses and a new relation to other crafts and skills, the current form is still too secluded from the rest.

I still make a decent bit of extra money from lockboxes btw, which are common across almost all worlds I've encountered.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

I find that this skill shouldn't have been there in its money-printing incarnation in the first place.

There shouldn't be such thing as a "crafting skill for non-crafters", that's a complete contradiction in the first place.

I'm not huge on crafting myself, but each other mission skill has some sort of solid place in the merry-go round of crew skills, slicing doesn't.

Even though I have 400 slicing, I don't want to return to it's previous form, that was OP, plain and simple.

It should however, find some new uses and a new relation to other crafts and skills, the current form is still too secluded from the rest.

I still make a decent bit of extra money from lockboxes btw, which are common across almost all worlds I've encountered.

Thats me as well.

In it's launch state slicing was too good and very much OP when it came to how much money I could make. No profession should be that good.

Currently, it's just good and I still make good money off it. Sure it could be tweaked a little more but it's not broken in any way.

Thats me as well.

In it's launch state slicing was too good and very much OP when it came to how much money I could make. No profession should be that good.

Currently, it's just good and I still make good money off it. Sure it could be tweaked a little more but it's not broken in any way.

That depends on how you define "good". 1 hour of obtaining and selling junk items from random mobs makes me more money than what I earn from slicing in an entire game session.

(If I even make money at all, sometimes I end up in the red)

I can usually make a ton of money by selling UWT goods though...

Edited by Purlana

I really dislike turn this game is taking. Golden rule of any MMO, level up 1 char to max level asap, skip all content just grind up level.

Go to the end game zone and start farming trash, loads of credits. So you could enjoy other characters doing crafting on level and doing content on level.

Ridiculous.

Slicing was unique to any other game, buy doing missions you could earn money without grinding and out leveling content.

Perhaps it was OP but making missions return negative from spent money and time is a joke. I'm ready sacrifice my some of my free time on missions but not all of it.

Message from BW is clear, have second job, go and grind.