Why Do Female Characters Have Such Revealing Clothes?

Ylliarus

On 6/28/2023 at 5:57 PM, DreadtechSavant said:

I must be one of the few who really does just not care how other players dress their characters or companions in-game.

I don't care, either. In fact, I rarely notice what anyone has on unless I'm in an op and we are waiting for others to join. Then I kind of look around at the outfits, but otherwise, I just don't care. I don't even bother with armors on my own comps, why would care what someone else's comp is wearing?

There is the possibility of using skimpy plus to insult a male companion. I picture Quinn being very up-tight Imperial officer without a wrinkle in his dress uniform. So after the "incident" because I couldn't kill him there and then, putting him in his boxers with a covert shirt and a "prisoner's hat" - slave collar - was the next best thing. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Shayddow said:

There is the possibility of using skimpy plus to insult a male companion. I picture Quinn being very up-tight Imperial officer without a wrinkle in his dress uniform. So after the "incident" because I couldn't kill him there and then, putting him in his boxers with a covert shirt and a "prisoner's hat" - slave collar - was the next best thing. 🙂

Hahaha That's one way of getting back at him!

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

2 hours ago, Shayddow said:

I like Quinn, I can't roll a fem warrior and not romance Quinn, and I've also done this.  It's a way of punishing him for epic stupidity and probably annoys him more than going stabbity stabbity stab on him.

1 hour ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

I like Quinn, I can't roll a fem warrior and not romance Quinn, and I've also done this.  It's a way of punishing him for epic stupidity and probably annoys him more than going stabbity stabbity stab on him.

Have you seen the expression on his face if you *do* go all megastab on him in War on Iokath?  ("Annoy him" isn't in any way the word I'd use for that event.)

5 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Have you seen the expression on his face if you *do* go all megastab on him in War on Iokath?  ("Annoy him" isn't in any way the word I'd use for that event.)

Youtubed it once.  I was thinking more of going stabbity right after the quinncidence; when it would have made sense to beat him up/kill him.

The 'kill' choice on Iokath just felt like senseless and mean-spirited writing to me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Yeah, he makes a funny face when he dies. 😵

Gutting him to death was one of the best memories I have from 10 years playing the game.

You (Quinn) backed the wrong horse, bub.

:csw_vader:

When I first started playing, all my female characters were dressed just like the male ones. As time went on, a few began to show some skin, like the casual connoisseur outfit, but still pretty tame. To me, the amount of skin is tied to how much money you have/are willing to spend, since a lot of the more risque outfits cost a lot. Of course, you can always buy the slave girl outfit, though that used to take social points which weren't easy to get. And it costs even more to get risque outfits that aren't hideously ugly like that.

Outfit designer means i can have one or two risque outfits but for the most part female characters wear a variety of outfits for different occasions just like male characters, not much difference. 

On 6/28/2023 at 6:20 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

First, holy necro Batman. 

Second, as a women whose played this game since launch and spends lots of time & money playing space barbies. I can categorically say there are heaps of outfits & combinations inbetween Nun & Stripper outfits. You just need to collect more outfits & learn how to better use the combinations. 

If you don’t like shorts or panties, you have long & short skirts, some with leggings & some without. You can choose to have skin tight pants, loose pants or armoured pants. The same goes for tops. I honestly, I wish there were a few more feminine tops that showed a bit more skin. But there are enough different tops so you aren’t stuck being a space nun or space stripper. 

Here’s a hint, try and collect outfits that have long legged boots. These work really well with shorts, skirts & pants to break up the look. Also certain belts can make or break up the look of a space nun or space stripper. 

Lastly colour is another tool to break up the space nun looks. You’d be surprised how a good dye can make a nun/monk looking outfit into some stylish bling 😊

Agreed. While I am male, I am ace and tend to prefer playing female characters, and yes I tend to put them in somewhat revealing clothes, but I do the combinations like you say.   Also, I do have a few male characters too and I do love the Covert Armor... go for that shirtless look.  Haha. Also the Gav Daragon Loin Cloth for pants, especially if the top has a nice hanging belt.    Bold Hellion especially is one of my new favorites, a lot of my male companions wear that.  In fact my newest Trooper does too, when she's in her "Mercenary" combat style (She's a Sniper/Mercenary since the update.  Story being that she was a mercenary both in combat style and profession growing up, until she joined the Republic Military and starting training as a Sniper.)

Personally I don't tend to wear those type of revealing outfits for my characters because I tend to wear what is appropriate for the planet. I.e. I'll wear hooded garments on Tatooine so as not to get sun-burned, and arctic-type parkas on Hoth to keep warm. I'll wear bio-hazard suits on Hutta or Quesh, and go full military on Corellia. I really like the outfits options so I can "dress" appropriately for whatever planet I'm on - for whichever gender character I am playing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shayddow said:

Personally I don't tend to wear those type of revealing outfits for my characters because I tend to wear what is appropriate for the planet. I.e. I'll wear hooded garments on Tatooine so as not to get sun-burned, and arctic-type parkas on Hoth to keep warm. I'll wear bio-hazard suits on Hutta or Quesh, and go full military on Corellia. I really like the outfits options so I can "dress" appropriately for whatever planet I'm on - for whichever gender character I am playing. 

Haha I love doing that. I even like to dye my hooded Tattooing clothes white 🥰

2 hours ago, Picasso said:

This was a non-issue in 2017 and is a non-issue in 2023.

I know right? I remember seeing the title of this string in 2017 and thinking to myself than,

"Is this a serious question?" considering the answer is so obvious.

And when I saw it again recently, el la Holy Necro Batman, I thought the same exact thing before I remembered that this is was an old string at first.

And for those that might not see the answer as so obvious, the answer to the question (the title of the string) -

"Why do female characters have such revealing clothes?"

Because that's what men like to look at because we're pigs/dogs.

I'd bet the farm that mini-skirts, fish-net stockings, bikinis, and 9 inch stiletto heels were all invented by dudes. And I applaud their innovations. =]

And I would hazard the guess that some women wear such revealing clothing because they know that's what men like to look at, because we're pigs and dogs, and they can wrap us around their pretty little fingers quite easily that way.

I don't mean to speak for every guy of course, certainly some men would say they don't feel that way, and that's fine, but someone's gotta tell the truth. 😛

Oink, woof.

🐷/🐶

[/facepalm]

Really??  And I thought I was hurting for entertainment?  

BTW...  just for the record!  I mix and match just about every kind of outfit ... regardless of character ...  Smuggler / Trooper / Lana or Kira.  Some are elegant ... some are ... (hmmm  ...) interesting!

Milk bones and flea collars??  Probably not!!

It was sort-of issue way back before outfitter, with so many of the in-game rewards turning into tank tops on fem toons.   Whether you wanted your toon to show off their belly or not.

Outfitter made that an non-issue.  If you want skin, show skin, if you don't want skin, don't show skin.

Now, if we could only get a nice, cheap slave outfit for our male toons then that would be great.  I like balance in skimpy outfit choices for male and fem toons, and right now you have to be much more creative to get your skimpy male toon/comp outfits then with fem toons/comps.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:55 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

But not all.  The "Slave" outfit ( == Princess Leia's thing once JtH captures her in ESB) costs 300 credits per piece if you have Social Rank II.

On 7/7/2023 at 12:48 PM, Ardrossan said:

When I first started playing, all my female characters were dressed just like the male ones. As time went on, a few began to show some skin, like the casual connoisseur outfit, but still pretty tame. To me, the amount of skin is tied to how much money you have/are willing to spend, since a lot of the more risque outfits cost a lot. Of course, you can always buy the slave girl outfit, though that used to take social points which weren't easy to get. And it costs even more to get risque outfits that aren't hideously ugly like that.

Outfit designer means i can have one or two risque outfits but for the most part female characters wear a variety of outfits for different occasions just like male characters, not much difference. 

It was literally the very next sentence from the one you quoted.

Edited by Ardrossan

On 7/8/2023 at 7:45 PM, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I know right? I remember seeing the title of this string in 2017 and thinking to myself than,

"Is this a serious question?" considering the answer is so obvious.

And when I saw it again recently, el la Holy Necro Batman, I thought the same exact thing before I remembered that this is was an old string at first.

And for those that might not see the answer as so obvious, the answer to the question (the title of the string) -

"Why do female characters have such revealing clothes?"

Because that's what men like to look at because we're pigs/dogs.

I'd bet the farm that mini-skirts, fish-net stockings, bikinis, and 9 inch stiletto heels were all invented by dudes. And I applaud their innovations. =]

And I would hazard the guess that some women wear such revealing clothing because they know that's what men like to look at, because we're pigs and dogs, and they can wrap us around their pretty little fingers quite easily that way.

I don't mean to speak for every guy of course, certainly some men would say they don't feel that way, and that's fine, but someone's gotta tell the truth. 😛

Oink, woof.

🐷/🐶

Finally one (1) honest man who spoke the truth instead of pretending the difference wasn't there or it's for some "story" reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eabevella said:

Finally one (1) honest man who spoke the truth instead of pretending the difference wasn't there or it's for some "story" reason.

I don't see a real issue, any more than I do seeing male PCs/companions in similar outfits. Bioware initially locked revealing outfits to female only, and continues to do it for some like the slave girl outfit, and that is problematic, but I can see it being difficult--and pointless--to change it. There may be less males dressed up like that but they certainly exist in this game and are common on fleet and group play.

I think what's much more cringe is male gamers who will only play female characters so they "have something pretty to look at from behind". Or when it extends to SGR--I've met many mass effect players who only made Fem!Sheps who had romances with Liara or bi/lesbian characters because of straight guy fetishizing F/F. I bet that happens a lot here with Lana. Or conversely, male gamers who have never made a female character, let alone one in a F/M relationship because they're totes straight and can't imagine it! :rak_03: 

If you want Vette to wear a collared slave girl outfit to your DS SW, I won't kinkshame...it can be justified for story purposes. If all your characters are like that or if it's too much a stretch of the imagination to play a Fem!Agent/Vector romance in the videogame with dark space wizards and lazer swords then yes there's something wrong with how you think about gender, bonk :rak_01:

Edited by Ardrossan

7 minutes ago, Ardrossan said:

I don't see a real issue, any more than I do seeing male PCs/companions in similar outfits. Bioware initially locked revealing outfits to female only, and continues to do it for some like the slave girl outfit, and that is problematic, but I can see it being difficult--and pointless--to change it. There may be less males dressed up like that but they certainly exist in this game and are common on fleet and group play.

I think what's much more cringe is male gamers who will only play female characters so they "have something pretty to look at from behind". Or when it extends to SGR--I've met many mass effect players who only made Fem!Sheps who had romances with Liara or bi/lesbian characters because of straight guy fetishizing F/F. I bet that happens a lot here with Lana. Or conversely, male gamers who have never made a female character, let alone one in a F/M relationship because they're totes straight and can't imagine it! :rak_03: 

If you want Vette to wear a collared slave girl outfit to your DS SW, I won't kinkshame...it can be justified for story purposes. If all your characters are like that or if it's too much a stretch of the imagination to play a Fem!Agent/Vector romance in the videogame with dark space wizards and lazer swords then yes there's something wrong with how you think about gender, bonk :rak_01:

All true.

But I'm simple. I only want to ask: where's the male slave outfit?

PS: on a fashion's note, all the old "slave" and "elegant" outfits in cm are ugly as f*ck. The loincloth on the body armor piece is a dreadful clipping hell that makes any bikini top difficult to mix match with pants. Also, who in 2012 would think dresses with frill that look like grandma's table clothe is good looking lol

8 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

Or conversely, male gamers who have never made a female character, let alone one in a F/M relationship because they're totes straight and can't imagine it! :rak_03: 

If you want Vette to wear a collared slave girl outfit to your DS SW, I won't kinkshame...it can be justified for story purposes. If all your characters are like that or if it's too much a stretch of the imagination to play a Fem!Agent/Vector romance in the videogame with dark space wizards and lazer swords then yes there's something wrong with how you think about gender, bonk

I'll be honest with you, I am guilty of all of these things, but I don't think it would be fair to say that there is something wrong with how I think about gender. Same may apply to others as well.

Yes, I'm a traditionally straight as an arrow dude, but I have no issues with anyone else's sexual preferences. What other people do behind closed doors, or even out in the open, is their business.

I'm fully supportive of the rights of the LGBTQ community. I've had gay friends. I even had a transgender friend online a few years back and I didn't have a clue they were until they told me and I had seen pictures and video of her (post transgender). Which I was grateful for because I might have ended up hitting on her heh.  In fact, she did a whole series of Youtube videos on becoming Transgender for other people to benefit from it and to try and help those who those inclinations so as to be more comfortable with the idea and allow them to try and live as their inclinations move them to.

I think gay couples/Transgenders should be able to get married and have all the rights and protections as their non gay/non transgender counterparts.

Playing a female character doing those sorts of things is just something I cannot relate to myself and thusly feel no desire to do so. It's not like I think "Yeah, that sounds like fun, I think I'd enjoy that, but I'm not gonna do it because it makes me uncomfortable and worry about how it might look to others."

The interest is simply not there. The thought never even entered my mind.

That may be the case in some instances, but I don't think it would be fair to say it is the case in all instances. I'm confident that there are other cases wherein the thought never even crossed the persons mind before.

• Like 2

I'm for "Live and let live". If someone wants to dress whatever they want, let them.  Just, as a straight female (that plays both male, female characters), I tend towards what is practical to wear for my own character choices. And I can see wearing some of the clothes available in a cantina or in the bedroom with your companion, I wouldn't wear them on the battlefield for the same question as "on a nudist beach, how do you carry your car keys?"  

If my character is on a battlefield (such as Corellia), I want to be dressed appropriately for the situation on hand. I don't want to freeze my parts off on Hoth 🙂