Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ - Road Map 2017

EricMusco

A solid map.

I really like that a Manaan stronghold is all but confirmed now. I always loved Ahto City.

Although I have two questions while we're at it:

First, you mention additional character customization in the roadmap. Is there any chance at all that we could give Senya the ability to wear double-bladed lightsabers? I myself own the lightsaber pike, and I'd love to give it to Senya too. She's always shown wearing that thing when we log in, but she can't equip it in the actual game. Besides cutscenes, is there any sort of code change you could do that enables her to wield pikes outside of cutscenes? I think some weapons are already hard-coded into cutscenes (like Lana's standard lightsaber) because it isn't overwritten by the Thexan lightsaber she has equipped on my guardian. Is there any way you could look into this for companion customization? It's kind of sad that Senya can't use one of her own signature weapons.

Secondly, you previously hinted at the idea that Tyth NiM/Master mode will release as soon as Aviena and Esne are released in SM and HM. However, I don't see a mention of that in the "Sisters of Carnage" part in the Road Map. Is that still the plan?

Best regards

Edited by Alssaran

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith,

Thanks for the roadmap and the work you put into it! Honestly, it's much more specific and detailed than I expected and I am encouraged by the direction it indicated you're taking the game! Also looking forward to the increased communication. If the increase in communication is accompanied by more perceived action I think it will garner quite a bit of good will amoungst the community! Thanks!

Looks better than others we have seen at the start of the new year (Last time we saw one I mean).

Lots of cool stuff! Worried about all the bosses fitting into 2017 on this timeline, but I'll test them as they arrive.

• Command Experience Legacy Perk for alts. Once one of your character reaches Command Rank 300, you can acquire a new Legacy Perk to increase CXP gains on all your other characters

PLEASE... PLEASE!!! Let this be a REAL BUFF you give us? Like 100% CXP for ALT's- grinding (As you know having many 300's) is horrible and for an ALT even worse. That 2% incremental for a whole 10% cost us several million credits per character already for minimum increase.

A good Roadmap, not perfect as I would have loved to see it a tiny tad more fleshed out, but I am content anyway.

And more customization options? Yes please! Please make the extra eye colour appearance options available for all species. Having the Bright Yellow Eyes on my Twi'lek Sith Assassin would be very neat. But I'd also love to see new ones, like the Dark Side corruption eyes like Empress Acina has or Emperor Valkorion. They look incredibly cool and would be a great addition in the character customization process. I'd also vouch for perhaps a new bodytype, seeing new faces would be great and perhaps for the alien species new options as well. And of course hairstyles, more hairstyles are always a very welcome sight, just make them prettier than the last one please :)

Hi Keith,

isn't it a 3 months roadmap with a bonus of quarterly updates?

As such and to be totally honest, have to agree with the people saying the content is underwhelming.

Not only most of the stuff mentioned was already known but even more it doesn't look like you got the required budget to truly fix the game.

So I'm afraid you won't be able to bring the game to the next level and bring in the numbers both execs and players would like to see.

On the positive side noticed a couple of quick wins and it certainly shows you guys know the game and its issues, still there's only so much you can do with limited resources.

Anyway thanks for the great communication.

D.

I just want some clarification: if the story is being advanced through a flashpoint, will there be a solo option? Because if it's group only I'm not going to be able to do it. I've had a hard enough time even finding someone patient enough to run the Star Fortresses with me.

Not whining - my physical limitations are my own problem - I just want to know so I can decide whether I can find workarounds, or if it's time to let my sub go.

Also I am really glad you heard the PvPers concerns about UC's being far too grindy right now. I hope you continue listening if it happens to need any tuning, and bring us to a nice compromise between what we have now and what we had in patch 2.0-4.x (could get max PvP gear in just 2 weeks of grinding).

^^This.

I enjoy warzones in this game more than anything, and there are a few things that are demotivating me to the point where I'm not playing much (not nearly as much as I used to pre-5.0):

1. The GRIND and RNG. I have zero characters to 300 Command Rank, and I'm not motivated to change that. I don't want to grind to get to the point where I have a tiny chance at 248 stuff. I would like a game in which I could completely ignore Galactic Command. Unassembled Components give me that, but at a painfully slow rate. If you must know, my "main" is ~240 Command Rank with six other characters in the 30-140 range.
  2. Balance. Arsenal Mercs everywhere. Snipers spamming AOE everywhere. It's a melee class' worst nightmare. I like melee (Mara, Vengeance, Deception). Current balance makes me not want to play.
  3. No Legacy Unassembled Components. We still don't have these.
  4. No role balancing. Those games where one team has multiple healers and the other has none are quite infuriating, particularly when it's imp vs imp. Seems like it should be pretty easy to spread them out (unless they queue as a group of healers, but people don't generally do that).
  5. Ranked rewards are not enticing. I don't want to play solo ranked because I don't see the reward. I'm not into titles. I like my manhunter title and I don't want to change it. I got the black-silver crystals a long time ago. So unless I want to go for the mount (super token grind), there's no reward that I value. No incentive to play. I think that's part of why solo ranked has devolved into what it is now.

Edited by teclado

Would I have loved to get some specifics on Class balance? Yes. Other than that, I think this is a good road map. Even with the map, there will be bumps along the way, but I have been very pleased with the communication from Keith and the group now, and I at least feel as if my concerns and opinions are seriously being taken into consideration.

That's a huge step forward and much better than screw you this is what it is deal with it. It's EXCITING!

The bringing in of Keith was a new start, and as long as what is outlined here is done on schedule, communication is kept up, and feedback from the community is taken into account (especially for issues brought up before things go live) I think we're on the very right track.

I think all in all it's fairly clear from this road map how far the SWToR team has been scaled back, it's really not a lot of content for a year (unless we get something massive after august I guess) and probably the least amount ever seen in a year for this game.

In saying that - it is what it is. There is nothing much BWA can do about forcing EA to throw tons of money at them for more development resources so working with what they have available it seems this direction is about as good as it's going to get and it's good to see a balanced approach across the board as opposed to a heavy focus on any one area.

Of course this reduced content could all be in lieu of developing a large end of year expansion similar to the likes of 2.0 or even 3.0 which wouldn't be overly surprising as we do have the movie launching at the end of the year but the way Keith has implied about being open with the community you would think he would have at least noted "we have a large expansion planned for the end of the year similar in scope to x.0" just to help alleviate concerns around future development (or lack there of).

So either there really isn't much to come this year in comparison to other years or Keith isn't being as open has he as implied he could be...

I think all in all it's fairly clear from this road map how far the SWToR team has been scaled back, it's really not a lot of content for a year (unless we get something massive after august I guess) and probably the least amount ever seen in a year for this game.

In saying that - it is what it is. There is nothing much BWA can do about forcing EA to throw tons of money at them for more development resources so working with what they have available it seems this direction is about as good as it's going to get and it's good to see a balanced approach across the board as opposed to a heavy focus on any one area.

Of course this reduced content could all be in lieu of developing a large end of year expansion similar to the likes of 2.0 or even 3.0 which wouldn't be overly surprising as we do have the movie launching at the end of the year but the way Keith has implied about being open with the community you would think he would have at least noted "we have a large expansion planned for the end of the year similar in scope to x.0" just to help alleviate concerns around future development (or lack there of).

So either there really isn't much to come this year in comparison to other years or Keith isn't being as open has he as implied he could be...

I'm not surprised about the lack of talk in regards to expansions, as BioWare usually saves announcements like that for events like E3.

Maybe 2 or 3 new things were mentioned.

The only question that really matters : what about dead servers :jawa_confused:

and u guys needed 6 weeks to plan next 3 months its not event funny at this point.

I'm not surprised about the lack of talk in regards to expansions, as BioWare usually saves announcements like that for events like E3.

Possibly but I would think just tacking something in like a teaser similar to what I had wouldn't do any harm.

Overall the road map itself is great, tells us what to expect and does what a road map should do.

I just think the down side or result of the road map is that it does demonstrate a lack of content this year.

I saw the mention of the story continuing on an Umbara flashpoint but...seriously there's nothing else to the Iokath story? The way it was left off, it seemed like there was more to come beyond just that operation at the end

I am really glad to see the roadmap come out, congrats Keith for actually getting it done and out.

First, let me say that trickling out an operation one boss at a time isn't a terribly good draw and the server stats show that. It's not even close to really puling people back to the game. Unfortunately, many have gone on to other games and there is little in this game to draw them back. (I am playing ESO most of the time and only playing here 2 or 3 nights a week with my raid group (and when we're done, I go play ESO for an hour or two on those nights, too.)

I am hoping the class balance goes on a lot more than just the griping about a class or two. Surprisingly, the classes most complained about aren't the ones topping the ranked ratings. Also, it was surprising to do a little PVP and see just how OP operatives are compared to some of the complained about classes. So, you've got your work cut out for you there. (Note, nerfing classes below where they need to be to run operations to make the PvP end of things work isn't a good solution.)

I wrote a post in January that still applies although the lack of action between now and then has made things worse. (Gearing is better, but GC is still totally FUBAR and should be removed and replaces with a working system.) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=911737

Whatever you do, don't add more tiers of level 70 gear. It will just make it worse on new level 70 characters and is an error you should have learned from prior experience in the game. Don't add tiers of gear and new levels without a real reason for them. Hoping to keep people grinding isn't a valid reason as your current number of active players should tell you.

One thing I noticed that was blatantly missing from the road map is a plan to address the really low server populations, even the busy servers aren't generally close to what they were 18 months ago. You really do need to come up with a plan for how to help that and how to decommission or otherwise deal with the totally dead servers out there.

@Keith: couple of question worth mentioning:

• What about server population issues?
  • How about the game engine update?
  • Do we get that there won't be a X-pack this year?
  • Any drastic changes to the CM?
  • Speaking about PvP will gear impact be seriously mitigated?
  • Veteran/subscribers rewards?

Edited by Deewe

Although some people don't seem pleased, thank you very much for this.

I'm happy to see that a new flashpoint is coming out, and that the game seems redirected to MMO content.

Although it didn't say everything I wanted, I'm happy to see that you're being communicative, pushing multiplayer content, and providing these new things.

Thanks for the road map. Hopefully the further changes to how we gain information will help a lot as well.

Try not to let the blind hate faze ya, Keith; learn what you can from criticism and push away the blind hate.

The only two questions I have:

What are some specific QoL changes coming? It has a heading but there's really no explanation on what we might be getting in terms of quality of life.

Has there been any consideration in more pertinent subscriber/ Collector's Edition rewards?

Edited by jedimasterjac

Possibly but I would think just tacking something in like a teaser similar to what I had wouldn't do any harm.

Overall the road map itself is great, tells us what to expect and does what a road map should do.

I just think the down side or result of the road map is that it does demonstrate a lack of content this year.

True, but since we only have up to August on the roadmap, with "And more to come…" I figure/hope the meat of the story is going to come after, and would be on the next roadmap. We are still on the appetizer course. But, I can understand the worry, We all love the game and want it to succeed.

True, but since we only have up to August on the roadmap, with "And more to come…" I figure/hope the meat of the story is going to come after, and would be on the next roadmap. We are still on the appetizer course. But, I can understand the worry, We all love the game and want it to succeed.

I also think that a lack of information may be due to, well, a change in game lead and other restructures.

It's hard to deal with a lot of management reorganization and keep working on a project. This, I hope, is them turning the game in the right direction, so they can then proceed forward at a more brisk place.

Maybe I'm too hopeful, though!

Roadmap looks good. Well done on getting it out by the end of May.

I am most looking forward to new story and the return of companions. Felix Iresso was mentioned in a livestream as caring about which side we took on Iokath, so I hope he might come back with the new flashpoint. My consular misses him a lot! (An Imperial companion wasn't mentioned alongside him, but if one also returns, I think Temple is the most likely candidate.)

I hope that any companion returns are well-written and properly fleshed-out. Those of us who had to wait longer for companions who didn't come back with KotFE shouldn't be short-changed by less of a story focus on our companions when they do eventually show up. I felt as if there wasn't as much focus on Elara or Quinn as there should have been in the Iokath story, so I hope there's a change for the better with the new flashpoint.

Edited by Estelindis

This clearly was Keith releasing the part of the roadmap which was approved and not the full roadmap because the last 4 months of the year are missing so Keith probably just wanted to release this so optics wise it looks like he kept his promise when he didn't because this is only half the roadmap next time just don't promise a date and release it as a full deal because anyone with common sense can see the truth.

This clearly was Keith releasing the part of the roadmap which was approved and not the full roadmap because the last 4 months of the year are missing so Keith probably just wanted to release this so optics wise it looks like he kept his promise when he didn't because this is only half the roadmap next time just don't promise a date and release it as a full deal because anyone with common sense can see the truth.

From the roadmap: "And of course, I will plan to deliver an updated roadmap each quarter. This way you can see not only the direction we are heading, but you’ll know what to expect specifically over the few months."

:hope_06:

In general let me say that this roadmap was a very pleasant read, it shows Keith listens to feedback and implements it. These positive changes will start bringing people back.

Focusing on "extremely challenging multi-player activities" is definitely the top priority. High quality challenging bosses coming every few months will deliver on that, though I do hope it'll be no more than two months between releases, if it's three for example we'd only have 4 boss encounters a year. 6 per year would be ideal, that's the equivalent of one operation.

As for the story, I'll gladly wait till August since ops really has to be the priority now.

The ability to customize Theron, Lana, Shae, Koth, and Senya is welcome news, as well as adding Weapon Tuning enhancements to player collections.

Glad finally the nightlife event is coming back. And the Manaan stronghold, finally! Very excited about that one.

Start of Class balance changes is good, with other classes to follow.

Looking forward to the Wednesday posts. We really have lots of input we'd like to discuss with you guys.

Keep up the good work, Keith :jawa_smile:

Edited by RevansSoul

Dear god, what a let down....

Hey keith i'm not sure in what world you live, but this was a disappointment. This road map was a junction of all the small information you have been giving us.... Jesus, talking about disappointment. You ppl at Bioware really know how to break the barrier at disappointing us.....

It's not very productive you know? Telling him what exactly you didn't like or wanted to see will help a lot.

Really?

Like telling them RNG was a very bad idea from the beginning helped?

Like telling them that forcing people who don't play PvP they MUST play PvP to earn tokens for gear really helped out the PvP play?

Like telling them anything every really accomplishes anything productive?

Pffft... wake up and smell the money being sucked outta your pocket.

Remember when the goal was to return to epic story-telling? Or how about 'you'll be able to earn a lot of command crates just playing the game as you normally do," but then the command points for golds changed from 10 to 1!?!? Of course, being 'productive,' they increased that to 2, which meant your 'normal game play' would then need to be done 5 more times to equal what they "tested." How about the DvL event when we discovered that the DvL crates couldn't be transferred between your main and your alts? Oh, they 'fixed' the problem by coming out with the new system, but for those who had already been grinding out the same content again, those received crates were stuck on the character who had received them. Would they verify those items and allow them to be placed into your Legacy banks? Oh no! These are just a few of the items that caused me to become disillusioned with BW and anything else they may offer a subscriber. This sounds more-and-more like a marketing strategy and less like something tangible.

Now, tell me I should be more constructive in my criticism of the company... because then you'll be pretending to be me writing to BW and I'll be pretending to be BW by not listen to you!

Edited by garnetwr