Sorc/sage NEEDS a buff.

slukslaksla

What if you added a damage component to Mental Alacrity / Polarity Shift?

Any ability's used during that time would have increased Alacrity by 20%, Immunity to Interrupts and increase all damage done by X%

As the player, it would be up to you to push the damage forward by choosing what to cast within that 10 sec window. It would add a little more skill to the rotation while increasing over all damage in Operations where it would be used more than once vs a normal PvE situation where it might be used once before the MOB is dead. IN PvP you would have to maneuver in a way to catch the timing just right for an increased damage output.

Edited by Malkosha

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if you added a damage component to Mental Alacrity / Polarity Shift?

Any ability's used during that time would have increased Alacrity by 20%, Immunity to Interrupts and increase all damage done by X%

As the player, it would be up to you to push the damage forward by choosing what to cast within that 10 sec window. It would add a little more skill to the rotation while increasing over all damage in Operations where it would be used more than once vs a normal PvE situation where it might be used once before the MOB is dead. IN PvP you would have to maneuver in a way to catch the timing just right for an increased damage output.

NO !

we need a passive dmg buff on our abilities. other classes casualy spamming their crap doing WAY higer dmg with some low cd abilities then a lighting sorc with his entire freaken rotation. Also Sorcs are like paper we should have High dmg all the time.

NO !

we need a passive dmg buff on our abilities. other classes casualy spamming their crap doing WAY higer dmg with some low cd abilities then a lighting sorc with his entire freaken rotation. Also Sorcs are like paper we should have High dmg all the time.

100% agreed i like the idea of the polarity shift thing but sorc desperatly NEEDS a passive dmg buff. not saying make sorc as great as it was before but make it a class u can 1v1 a merc with. EVERY class should be able to 1v1 eachother seen its played fair and by skilled ppl etc.

i literly have never been killed by a dps sorc in ages. i been finished off by them sure but never gone from 100%hp to 0 just from a sorc alone. not even close.

the problem is on the table. i think the best way to "fix sorc" is to buff its dmg considderably to a point where u can have 20k+ crits on more than one ability. do that and maybe add some more defense like that old idea of moving force barrier and spice up phase walk a bit and we are fine.

100% agreed i like the idea of the polarity shift thing but sorc desperatly NEEDS a passive dmg buff. not saying make sorc as great as it was before but make it a class u can 1v1 a merc with. EVERY class should be able to 1v1 eachother seen its played fair and by skilled ppl etc.

i literly have never been killed by a dps sorc in ages. i been finished off by them sure but never gone from 100%hp to 0 just from a sorc alone. not even close.

the problem is on the table. i think the best way to "fix sorc" is to buff its dmg considderably to a point where u can have 20k+ crits on more than one ability. do that and maybe add some more defense like that old idea of moving force barrier and spice up phase walk a bit and we are fine.

Exactly. They need to buff death field and force leach damage.

6k damage dps is low?

keep in mind pvp dont need dps rather it needs what i call "DWN" (damage when needed) so if you can have a short powefull burst phase buffed to death with raid buffs and the likes yes sorc can be good.

with a good team backing you up? yes ANY class can be good.

as i always say pleb + pleb =pro if they work together. in pve however unless u got great gear and skill your dps will lag behind. wether it will be fatal and cause you to wipe idk but ppl will take note and prioritize thusly.

imo pve is fine as long as you dont run a full team of dps sorcs. its pvp that worrys me. the main pvp problem to me is not beeing able to do dmg before i die.

aka i jump in buffed up, do my dmg and cus its low enemy dont die. they now are swarming me and cus im netted by merc and stunned i have nowhere to go. aka im dead.

i dont think i need to say it anymore cus im sure ppl understand by now that sorc got low dmg AND low defense. again i keep healer separate cus obveus reasons as its dps that is the problem.

sure we dont want another merc but im sure i can speak for everyone when i say we want sorc to be "more" competetive. make sorc a desirable class for both pvp and pve! make it something that not only looks cool but is cool.

keep in mind pvp dont need dps rather it needs what i call "DWN" (damage when needed) so if you can have a short powefull burst phase buffed to death with raid buffs and the likes yes sorc can be good.

I've yet to see any Sorc in pvp able to burst someone down. Hell I've yet to see a sorc put pressure on someone to the point they'd say "wow, i really need to do something about this sorc". Lightning -- the supposed burst spec -- does piss poor burst, crits that are well behind other specs of the same type even when exploiting the CL bug. Madness is in the same boat, it has no kill pressure. you can dot someone up with every DoT and a heal or 2 from a healer completely negates the damage.

I've yet to see any Sorc in pvp able to burst someone down. Hell I've yet to see a sorc put pressure on someone to the point they'd say "wow, i really need to do something about this sorc". Lightning -- the supposed burst spec -- does piss poor burst, crits that are well behind other specs of the same type even when exploiting the CL bug. Madness is in the same boat, it has no kill pressure. you can dot someone up with every DoT and a heal or 2 from a healer completely negates the damage.

Exactly. Many guilds want to get rid of sorc dps even in hard modes.. 90% of swtor community already know that sorc dps is a joke

Edited by BraverDre

Exactly. Many guilds want to get rid of sorc dps even in hard modes.. 90% of swtor community already know that sorc dps is a joke

NiM Brontes cleared on my lightning sorc (no CL bug), guess we aren't so bad for HM raids after all. But really BW give us some love too.

NiM Brontes cleared on my lightning sorc (no CL bug), guess we aren't so bad for HM raids after all. But really BW give us some love too.

Your video links to a Sith Marauder, (Sentinel), not a Sorceror/Sage.

Your video links to a Sith Marauder, (Sentinel), not a Sorceror/Sage.

Hooo boy... don't usually post on the forums but even I've got to comment on this. If you watched the video, even just a few mins, maybe not even, you'd find there's a lightning sorc in the raid by the name of Talen Jor. He's in 3rd most of the fight, only besting the AP PT Casaf, but he's neck and neck with the Virulence Sniper Arbitron (and actually surpasses him) for a big chunk of the fight - right up to the end when they downed Nim Brontes with *gasp* a ligntning sorc in the group (which is the point of the link, not to have downed it from a lightning PoV, but that there was a sorc present for a Nim kill....). Amazing what you can learn by watching videos.

Yes lightning is in a bad spot, sure it could do with a few passive lil buffs make things a titch easier, but the only thing keeping it from being "viable" is the lack of a player's skill. Talen, obviously, he's got what it takes to make lightning work. Not everyone does, not everyone can do what he does, but that doesn't mean that everyone is 100% crap at the class. I don't blame people for not wanting to take a sorc DPS along for raids (not when the typical graph for DPS values looks like https://gyazo.com/d2998588f33023326392d9034a354295 that in the vast majority of fights according to starparse) and I would love some lil goodies (the class is my baby, so duh, plz bring me all the buffs) to make people not auto-decline sorcs, or at the first hint of troubles in a pug to automatically assume it's the sorc doing not enough DPS (instead of people not paying attention to mechanics...) but the video shows that we can do some pretty amazing things even in "our current state".

1) Sorc healers not fairly balanced, they OP and need a nerf. (Since patch 3.3 lol)

2) Sorc is pretty weak compaired to other dps specs in 4v4 ranked arenas, in 8v8 all classes and specs good (i feel very comfortable on my sorc dps in regs)

3) Yes sorc dps need some buffs, sorc healers need huge nerf.

This is my opinion from pvp side of that game.

you make me lol really nerf the healers the healers need a bigger buff and beter defense skills

we are here to help the party and not get kilt every sec

healers are always main target so we need to stand our ground

there are almost no healers in pvp same as tankers its more a full dps party pretty boring

i play my self so 90% heal classes and i know how hard it is for us in pvp so 4 players jump on you

every time ad least my saga can take a beating and can out heal a lot

and you wanna nerf healers lol

Hooo boy... don't usually post on the forums but even I've got to comment on this. If you watched the video, even just a few mins, maybe not even, you'd find there's a lightning sorc in the raid by the name of Talen Jor. He's in 3rd most of the fight, only besting the AP PT Casaf, but he's neck and neck with the Virulence Sniper Arbitron (and actually surpasses him) for a big chunk of the fight - right up to the end when they downed Nim Brontes with *gasp* a ligntning sorc in the group (which is the point of the link, not to have downed it from a lightning PoV, but that there was a sorc present for a Nim kill....). Amazing what you can learn by watching videos.

Yes lightning is in a bad spot, sure it could do with a few passive lil buffs make things a titch easier, but the only thing keeping it from being "viable" is the lack of a player's skill. Talen, obviously, he's got what it takes to make lightning work. Not everyone does, not everyone can do what he does, but that doesn't mean that everyone is 100% crap at the class. I don't blame people for not wanting to take a sorc DPS along for raids (not when the typical graph for DPS values looks like https://gyazo.com/d2998588f33023326392d9034a354295 that in the vast majority of fights according to starparse) and I would love some lil goodies (the class is my baby, so duh, plz bring me all the buffs) to make people not auto-decline sorcs, or at the first hint of troubles in a pug to automatically assume it's the sorc doing not enough DPS (instead of people not paying attention to mechanics...) but the video shows that we can do some pretty amazing things even in "our current state".

having not watched the vid yet i only asume everyone in the grp is in good gear? cus after you have 240+ gear on ur L-sorc it does boost the numbers A BIT problem is dps wise a 230 mara can (im asuming) beat a L-sorc in say 242 gear.. if not 248. seen they both are played by equaly skilled players. i ofc never tested this so take it with a pinch of salt but i am trying to say that not everyone has a raid guild capable of providing full 248 gear to a L sorc ...

this means that the small "defenders" of the current L sorc mostly, mhm.. "dont know sht". pardon my lack for a better term. i do not wish to start an argument here ofc, i want sorc to be viable in ALL modes and ALL content. maeybe not another merc but make it viable, aka a SOLID choice.

(in my opinion) from a lore/story perspective the sorc is arguably the most powerfull.. perhaps after/before the warrior. i want it to feel like hes powerfull too. jugg rage for instance is KILLER in pvp i slay foes with 20k + crits even in old 208 ranked gear still on. while sorc in same situation bearly manage to hit 9-10k crits on CL ... storywise a sorc should be able to destroy vehicles with hes lightning and would never be limited to charging phone batteries like he is now...

so i dont think we need to discuss why sorc needs to be buffed rather how it needs to be buffed!

you make me lol really nerf the healers the healers need a bigger buff and beter defense skills

we are here to help the party and not get kilt every sec

healers are always main target so we need to stand our ground

there are almost no healers in pvp same as tankers its more a full dps party pretty boring

i play my self so 90% heal classes and i know how hard it is for us in pvp so 4 players jump on you

every time ad least my saga can take a beating and can out heal a lot

and you wanna nerf healers lol

LOL what server u on?! on TRE 80% of all DAYTIME matches has more healers then dps-es lol... (wich is why i mostly pvp at night when they all asleep)

most the matches has like 3h on enemy teams and none on yours too. making it fairly unbalanced and just plain boring. then you have the heal fests with 5+ on both teams noone dies... this happens ALoT more often than it should.

healers are also awesome right now. on my 230 setbonus geared sorc i can often solo heal with 0 deaths if my team is at least decent in the dmg department. remember: you must heal yourself too ;P

there is ofc matches were the enemy are simply "better", well in that scenario id just quit and q again.

but in the end sorc healers are argubly OP now if u know ur sht. i seen sorc heals solo heal hm ops several times. and personaly been solo healer for pvp many times with like 5-6mil healing some times.

Yeah madness and lightning specs definitely need some love.. people make jokes about sorc dps in pve and pvp on high populated servers. Sorcs have the stigma after 5.0 patch.

P.S. Awesome video.

Edited by BraverDre

having not watched the vid yet i only asume everyone in the grp is in good gear? cus after you have 240+ gear on ur L-sorc it does boost the numbers A BIT problem is dps wise a 230 mara can (im asuming) beat a L-sorc in say 242 gear.. if not 248. seen they both are played by equaly skilled players. i ofc never tested this so take it with a pinch of salt but i am trying to say that not everyone has a raid guild capable of providing full 248 gear to a L sorc ...

this means that the small "defenders" of the current L sorc mostly, mhm.. "dont know sht". pardon my lack for a better term. i do not wish to start an argument here ofc, i want sorc to be viable in ALL modes and ALL content. maeybe not another merc but make it viable, aka a SOLID choice.

(in my opinion) from a lore/story perspective the sorc is arguably the most powerfull.. perhaps after/before the warrior. i want it to feel like hes powerfull too. jugg rage for instance is KILLER in pvp i slay foes with 20k + crits even in old 208 ranked gear still on. while sorc in same situation bearly manage to hit 9-10k crits on CL ... storywise a sorc should be able to destroy vehicles with hes lightning and would never be limited to charging phone batteries like he is now...

so i dont think we need to discuss why sorc needs to be buffed rather how it needs to be buffed!

My post was primarily to point out that, yeah, there was a sorc in the raid group, and this person was a dumbdumb for trying to critique a good kill vid w/o watching it first. I just sorta went off on a tangent after... If both are in a Nim raid guild, it's safe to say both skill and gear are as close to even as they're going to get when comparing two people. The mara only finished a couple hundred more dps ahead. Yeah sorcs CAN be viable, but only a select few can bring out that viability, even then they are not the best by any means. So, could they use some loving? Sure why not. Would love them being opfotm, but then again I'm openly and admittedly biased. As for HOW they can buffed, I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of fun discussion once the devs release their ideas to the public.

Before they released the game they made it clear that, yes, lightsabers are in the game, and no, they don't mean auto-win. Chain Lighting is an AoE, you can do upwards of 100k+ with ONE chain lightning when geared. It's just spread out on 8 targets. Sorcs will never hit the hardest cause it's the only class in the game with guarateed auto crit. And the only class capable of doing 200k+ damage with 3 abilities. It's hard to balance a spec that's reliant on an AoE as part of the main rotation. At least that's how I see it, but I'm no game dev. I could see them removing the ability to hard cast chain lightning, and only be able to use it when you have the lightning storm proc. And then give us a choice to use the proc on chain lightning, or lightning bolt, increasing the damage by 100%? This would increse single target DPS, increase single target burst, allow them to let chain lightning hit a little harder, and maybe force storm to hit a little harder, all without changing the rotation/priority system all too much.

Edited by Dhurwin

My post was primarily to point out that, yeah, there was a sorc in the raid group, and this person was a dumbdumb for trying to critique a good kill vid w/o watching it first. I just sorta went off on a tangent after... If both are in a Nim raid guild, it's safe to say both skill and gear are as close to even as they're going to get when comparing two people. The mara only finished a couple hundred more dps ahead. Yeah sorcs CAN be viable, but only a select few can bring out that viability, even then they are not the best by any means. So, could they use some loving? Sure why not. Would love them being opfotm, but then again I'm openly and admittedly biased. As for HOW they can buffed, I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of fun discussion once the devs release their ideas to the public.

Before they released the game they made it clear that, yes, lightsabers are in the game, and no, they don't mean auto-win. Chain Lighting is an AoE, you can do upwards of 100k+ with ONE chain lightning when geared. It's just spread out on 8 targets. Sorcs will never hit the hardest cause it's the only class in the game with guarateed auto crit. And the only class capable of doing 200k+ damage with 3 abilities. It's hard to balance a spec that's reliant on an AoE aa part of the main rotation. At least that's how I see it, but I'm no game dev. I could see them removing the ability to hard cast chain lightning, and only be able to use it when you have the lightning storm proc. And then give us a choice to use the proc on chain lightning, or lightning bolt, increasing the damage by 100%? This would increse single target DPS, increase single target burst, allow them to let chain lightning hit a little harder, and maybe force storm to hit a little harder, all without changing the rotation/priority system all too much.

so ? your point ? buff the single target abilities dmg. there is only one main rotation ability that is aoe chain lighting leave it as is and buff everything else dmg..... seriously thats all....

you making it like its sooo hard to balance this class LOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Edited by Zolxtren

so ? your point ? buff the single target abilities dmg. there is only one main rotation ability that is aoe chain lighting leave it as is and buff everything else dmg..... seriously thats all....

you making it like its sooo hard to balance this class LOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

That's boring and easy. Making Reverberating Force affect Lightning Bolt, or buff it to 20% (or both :D), and having Chaos Nexus affect Forked Darkness, now that's a little more interesting than "lul buff the damage duh lul". And removing the ability to cast Chain Lightning would also "fix" the bug currently associated with said ability... something I know others would be happy about. Adding a single target alternative to Chain Lightning would also be beneficial in PvP: not breaking CC, more on-demand single target burst.

That's boring and easy. Making Reverberating Force affect Lightning Bolt, or buff it to 20% (or both :D), and having Chaos Nexus affect Forked Darkness, now that's a little more interesting than "lul buff the damage duh lul". And removing the ability to cast Chain Lightning would also "fix" the bug currently associated with said ability... something I know others would be happy about. Adding a single target alternative to Chain Lightning would also be beneficial in PvP: not breaking CC, more on-demand single target burst.

we dont need MORE rng 20% of all our dmg is allready RNG on lighting we dont need more....

we dont need MORE rng 20% of all our dmg is allready RNG on lighting we dont need more....

They did away with rng in lighting years ago. The only thing that that has anything to do with is forked lighting and forked darkness. Those don't really count as true "rng" because when they proc it doesn't change the rotation. It's just a flat 6.25% damage increase. Cept the Crushing Darkness DoT, then it's a 50% damage increase. But still it's nothing like old lightning barrage. And adding a our most casted ability to the surge bonus talent, or buffing said surge bonus (or both! :D) isn't adding more rng to the class cause it's not affecting the rotation in any way. It's just small little passive damage buffs in the form of something other than "x ability does x more damage" and adding Forked Darkness to Chaos Nexus would just make Mental Alacrity/Polarity Shift help us do a little more damage. Again, not rng because you control when you use your cooldowns.

They did away with rng in lighting years ago. The only thing that that has anything to do with is forked lighting and forked darkness. Those don't really count as true "rng" because when they proc it doesn't change the rotation. It's just a flat 6.25% damage increase. Cept the Crushing Darkness DoT, then it's a 50% damage increase. But still it's nothing like old lightning barrage. And adding a our most casted ability to the surge bonus talent, or buffing said surge bonus (or both! :D) isn't adding more rng to the class cause it's not affecting the rotation in any way. It's just small little passive damage buffs in the form of something other than "x ability does x more damage" and adding Forked Darkness to Chaos Nexus would just make Mental Alacrity/Polarity Shift help us do a little more damage. Again, not rng because you control when you use your cooldowns.

and outside of CDs we stay trash ? nah i prefer to spam 20ks 24/7 like almost everyone else im seeing doing with me........ so yeah passive buff it is....

and outside of CDs we stay trash ? nah i prefer to spam 20ks 24/7 like almost everyone else im seeing doing with me........ so yeah passive buff it is....

Lightning sorcs have Polarity Shift up like all the time, something like a 28% uptime on patchwerk fights, so buffing PS wouldn't be a waste, and surge is active... always. The top parse for 2.5 mil for sorc (without lightning bug) is 9781 DPS. And that 9.7k is only off the #1 slot by 12.4%. So realistically all we need is like 10% more damage and we're golden. 5% is probably what we're gonna get, but c'est la vie. And darnit, lightning's been the same since forever i think it would be kinda nice to get something other than "ur abilitys hit harder" when they buff us. And my Thundering Blasts hit for 20k every 8.2 seconds so, yea that's not spamming, but it is 20k.

Edited by Dhurwin

now sry for the clickbait-y title but i mean what it says, bear with me plz;

now im not gonna talk to mouch about gear but sorc has a few issues... first off this is mainly based off pvp but HM+ ops as well. now the problem is as follows:

sorc is weak.

yes its weak... it has shabby defensives in pvp and low crits. the highest me and my friend ever saw on a sorc was a 13k crit. and that is after spamming all abilitys (in lightning spec specificly) over and over until one of them crits. in a realistic situation sorc vs anything else... ANYTHING in a fair 1v1 duel will most likely lose (unless the sorc player is way more skilled but this is a fair fight so he aint) .

sorcs defensives for PVE are fine as a healer or 2 is usualy there to back you up but, in pvp thats usualy not the case. pvp lately to my experience suffers from matchmaking annoying-ness where enemy will have 4 healers and we will have none. this makes playing a damage sorc wary hard indeed. as the main defensives are static barrier wich imo dont do anything but look cool, and the other "god bubble" as i call it wich is good but after it ends you are 100% dead. you do have the teleport but becuase of how it works ppl can be waiting for you after u used it. also you must put it up BEFORE the fight.

for the damage part sorcs just plain weak.. i played a lvl 57 merc during early 5.0 and had several consistant 25k-40k crits on several abilitys, mostly heatseekers. the hiighest my sorc ever had on what i considder to be its best burst ability: chain-lightning and the other shooting bubble thing (pardon me i cant think of its name now) was 11k.. that was on a 4p set bonus sorc in 230 gear (with one 236) all auged. my friend who's probably better geared hits around 13k. 40k on merc vs 13k on a sorc that is better geared AND higher level.. AND MY 11k CRITS AINT EVEN CONSISTANT! my sorc can cast 5 abilitys and do the same dmg as a merc does in ONE! dunno about you but that is sure not balance...

for pve I literly seen several ops grps (on TRE, a pve server) say (example): LF 1T 3D 2H KP HM Must know tactics, NO SORCS ALOWED!

and thats for KP wich i have dps-ed myself in hm as a 210 geared scoundrel in healer gear...

that, i have not made up. id take a screenshot but it didn't fall into mind at the time.

mhm... *clears throat*

i also want to state why i compare sorc and merc: mostly is cus their so similar. both got healer spec both got dot spec and both got burst spec... they are also ranged/utility classes and their burst trees focus on speed/alacrity. making them the perfect comparison in my opinion.

healer as of now feels like its fairly balanced. but the sorc dmg has been dear i say; notorius for beeing nerfed or "not buffed" for a dam long time... and i do not count the new MELEE STUN as a buff...

pardon my ranting here i truly love the game ALOT but, to fix this i would suggest buffing ALL sorc dmg abilitys and i mean ALL. and also give static barrier's "cant use again on same target" debuff a longer timer, in exchange for mouch more defense. (maybe add passive in the legendary tree that does it and only gives more defense and cd to yourself and not other allies)

i again apoligize for the rant style of this post and also im sure others already posted similar stuff but i wanted to get it out there anyways... all in all sorc always was my favorite class, but it has alot of cards stacked against it atm.

plz share opinions as im sure im not the only one that has never seen a DPS sorc in pvp for MONTHS...

So I play sorc lightning and I have had no problem pulling 9.5k plus in ops but I also am mostly 242 with some 248 and in pvp I can kill targets in a single stun if uninterrupted but I do see the problems they need between 5-10% buff to make them on par with other classes, and on crits if u pop recklessness and use TB and lightning flash ill crit well over 60k

Edited by eveilsbane