SWTOR's late content is reminding me of Mass Effect.

This is not hate-related or anything. It's just something I'm going to point out.

Besides the good writing(for me at least; I had a lot of fun with SWTOR so far but Mass Effect 1-3 is far superior though), some of the animations and the Dialogue Wheel there really wasn't anything that would remind me of Mass Effect.

That was until I replayed KOTET and then the new episode 'War of Iokath'. Once our main characters find this metallic planet we discover that it was built by a prosperous and progressive ancient race that controlled other galactic civilisations and was eventually wiped out by their own synthetic advanced creations. Said race also left breakthrough technology and relics across known space for other species to find, such as the Eternal Fleet and the GEMINI droids. Now, the Outlander has discovered that one of the main causes for this race's extinction are nearly indestructible and are about to return. I also have to note that the original creators attempted to save themselves and ended up perishing on their own pods.

In Mass Effect an ancient and all-mighty race of sentient machines called the Reapers wipe out all organic life every 50,000 years. A powerful and advanced race called the Protheans stood their ground against the machines for centuries and attempted to leave warnings across the galaxy. It was believed at first that many of the found technology remarks were left by the Protheans. There was also a species that created a syntehthic race that eventually turned against their creators. Some of the Protheans tried to save themselves by hibernating on pods, and eventually died in them due to the lack of power within the facility.

I mean, it's using the whole concept of Synthetics Versus Organics that Mass Effect used. I can't be the only one who noticed on these similarities. I'm actually curious as to what will happen'. I know it's a bit of stretch, but I couldn't help but to feel some of Mass Effect vibes from these moments. Of course it's not as serious due to its IP.

Edited by TheRandomWolf

I really, honestly, don't know if it's a good thing. Star Wars is not Mass Effect- it shouldn't call up thoughts of Mass Effect, it should call up thoughts of Star Wars.

I would honestly rather have ancient deadly machines then another Death Star ripoff xD

I would honestly rather have ancient deadly machines then another Death Star ripoff xD

Why is that the choice? Stupid droids or unfathomably powerful superweapons all the time. What happened to facing powerful Jedi/Sith/Etc. I get that your "all powerful" now since you beat Valkorion but really it makes around the same amount of sense for a droid to be able to beat you as a person.

Sorry, I snerked at "good writing". I haven't played Mass Effect, so I can't comment on the similarities or lack there of, but if the writing is of the same caliber, I wont bother. KotFE, KotET and especially Iokath are far fromt well written.

Sorry, I snerked at "good writing". I haven't played Mass Effect, so I can't comment on the similarities or lack there of, but if the writing is of the same caliber, I wont bother. KotFE, KotET and especially Iokath are far fromt well written.

This, so much this.

The fact that the whole thing is reminiscent of Mass Effect is another symptom of how lazy and unoriginal Swtor has become. If you can't figure out how to do something new and original, just ripoff what worked for some other franchise.

That's not to say they will take the exact same approach, but so far, I've not been given much hope that their writing has improved much since Valkorion's demise.

Ok.. yes there are some similarities to the OT ME (MEA is a pile of writing trash - why I think BW as a whole company has an issue with good writers). But this type of story has been told before. In books, comics TV and movies. ME wasn't the first.

But Iokath doesn't make sense. Didn't Scorpio say it was about 50K years old? That would put it right in the middle of the Infinite Empire.

So how did Iokath escape the notice of the Infinite Empire?

I said good writing because I enjoyed thoroughly the story instances so far, but I do have to admit that Mass Effect is way better at most categories. Still, I had a lot of fun playing SWTOR. I honestly can't find this kind of storytelling on any other MMOs. I've played Guild Wars 2, TERA, Elder Scrolls Online... and all of their writing was mediocre at best, even with a good cast.

Edited by TheRandomWolf

Is SWTOR older than mass effect?

Mass Effect launched in 2007. It was back when BioWare was still somewhat "fresh" and handn't ties to EA. It was heavily inspired by Star Wars and Star Strek. It was thansk to KOTOR's major sucess that Mass Effect became a thing. After the huge sucess of Mass Effect 1 and 2, some of the writiers and other team members swapped to work on SWTOR's development.

Ignore everything about Mass Effect: Andromeda though. It was made by a completely unexperienced team.

Ok.. yes there are some similarities to the OT ME (MEA is a pile of writing trash - why I think BW as a whole company has an issue with good writers). But this type of story has been told before. In books, comics TV and movies. ME wasn't the first.

But Iokath doesn't make sense. Didn't Scorpio say it was about 50K years old? That would put it right in the middle of the Infinite Empire.

I'm not really familiar with anything happens BEFORE Revan's timeline. But still... isn't the galaxy... like huge? Isn't a big portion of it still unexplored and even unknown to the most? There's a chance that it just slipped unnoticed. After all it's a GALAXY. No way an Empire could rule the entire thing and every single creature. That sounds a bit too over-the-top.

I'm not really familiar with anything happens BEFORE Revan's timeline. But still... isn't the galaxy... like huge? Isn't a big portion of it still unexplored and even unknown to the most? There's a chance that it just slipped unnoticed. After all it's a GALAXY. No way an Empire could rule the entire thing and every single creature. That sounds a bit too over-the-top.

The Infinite Empire had vast territories. I seriously doubt something as remarkable as Iokath would escape their notice. Just to build Iokath was a triumph. I mean, the materials alone - they must've consumed planets for raw materials. Maybe it'll get explained later. Or maybe not (probably not). Would not be the first time I had to suspend believe to enjoy a game.

This is not hate-related or anything. It's just something I'm going to point out.

Besides the good writing(for me at least; I had a lot of fun with SWTOR so far but Mass Effect 1-3 is far superior though), some of the animations and the Dialogue Wheel there really wasn't anything that would remind me of Mass Effect.

I've seen too many who start off their comments with i have no hate and then deliberately trip themselves up in writing with something, anything that would make a critical comment that could be seen as hating. the trouble with haters is that they are bigger hypocrites than typical hypocrites, assuming such a thing were possible :rolleyes:.

That was until I replayed KOTET and then the new episode 'War of Iokath'. Once our main characters find this metallic planet we discover that it was built by a prosperous and progressive ancient race that controlled other galactic civilisations and was eventually wiped out by their own synthetic advanced creations. Said race also left breakthrough technology and relics across known space for other species to find, such as the Eternal Fleet and the GEMINI droids. Now, the Outlander has discovered that one of the main causes for this race's extinction are nearly indestructible and are about to return. I also have to note that the original creators attempted to save themselves and ended up perishing on their own pods.

In Mass Effect an ancient and all-mighty race of sentient machines called the Reapers wipe out all organic life every 50,000 years. A powerful and advanced race called the Protheans stood their ground against the machines for centuries and attempted to leave warnings across the galaxy. It was believed at first that many of the found technology remarks were left by the Protheans. There was also a species that created a syntehthic race that eventually turned against their creators. Some of the Protheans tried to save themselves by hibernating on pods, and eventually died in them due to the lack of power within the facility.

I mean, it's using the whole concept of Synthetics Versus Organics that Mass Effect used. I can't be the only one who noticed on these similarities. I'm actually curious as to what will happen'. I know it's a bit of stretch, but I couldn't help but to feel some of Mass Effect vibes from these moments. Of course it's not as serious due to its IP.

Funny because people tend to ignore what is in front of their face more often than not, protocol droids, battle droids, soldier droids, assassin droids, replicator droids and so on, all of these exist and yet both organic and inorganic lifeforms have lived together successfully without problems.

sure droids can be reprogrammed but so can humans when they learn to understand from information who is their enemy and attack it accordingly, a form of reprogramming.

Clone Wars is older than 2007. Guess droid wars in ME were stolen from George Lucas.

But then again I'd put money on Star Trek or Lost in Space doing something similar too.

BUT WAIT! HG Wells War of the World's did it first. Yeah? Omg. They're all copied from that! Organics vs Machine! Holy crap! :rolleyes:

I think the first chunk of KotFE that was all released at once was reasonably well written, and internally reasonably coherent. It fell apart pretty quickly with the episodic KotFE releases, and KotET was at best mundane and predictable, and at worst wholly incompetent. Iokath seems so far, to me at least, to be a step or two up from the low point in KotET, but it is still very, very far away from some of the quality we saw with some of the Class Stories.

I was always confused why they made the author of the very, very worst Class Story by far (Trooper) the lead story producer. But that probably explains the downward trajectory that story telling has taken with KotFE and KotET.

All The Best

Ignore everything about Mass Effect: Andromeda though. It was made by a completely unexperienced team.

At least one of the ME:A writers was a recent writer for SWTOR, before spending the last year or so writing for ME:A.

Rakatan hyperdrives could only navigate between planets with a strong connection to the force, having either a large ecosystem or some form of force nexus. The Infinite Empire consisted only of some 500 worlds.

A metal sphere in the middle of nowhere wasn't exactly the easiest place to reach, let alone conquer. As good as the Rakata were at mending the force and technology, a people capable of building a structure around a sun were a whole different beast than their usual slave races.

The Rakata also never invaded the Gree Enclave. The Gree were content to be left alone, and for the Rakata, the gain of a few more slaves adept in technology far beyond their understanding was not worth the risk of getting first-hand experience of what that technology was capable of.

Edited by Mubrak

Why is that the choice? Stupid droids or unfathomably powerful superweapons all the time. What happened to facing powerful Jedi/Sith/Etc. I get that your "all powerful" now since you beat Valkorion but really it makes around the same amount of sense for a droid to be able to beat you as a person.

Glowstick fetish, anyone? Your Star Wars universe would never have any smugglers in it, presumably.

Star Wars is not Mass Effect- it shouldn't call up thoughts of Mass Effect, it should call up thoughts of Star Wars.

This!!! This is 100% right.

At the same time...how much freedom does Bioware truly have to write new Star Wars stories? They have the job of creating an entire universe for Star Wars...that doesn't conflict with Star Wars. They have freedom because of the gap between where we are and where the movies begin, but they still have challenges.

I have to say, there is some truth to this. I was doing the Hutt Cartel expansion for the first time (Yeah I know, not exactly NEW content, but newer. And yeah, just came back to the game....) and I noticed that a certain end game tank boss looks pretty damn close to the Geth Tank.... I was like oh, all I need is commander shepherd and this encounter is WON.

Well, KotFE/KotET didn't make me scream and throw my controller across the room when I got to the end or decide not to buy any future installment so they're not reminding me of Mass Effect at all.