Swtor and Windows Creator update issues

Kyuuu

I get the following error in eventviewer, when Swtor crashes, The crash happen at random between the time Launcher launches the client and upon Click play on characters.

If it dont crash and allow me to get on my characters the client seem to be fine untill I restart the client in which case the crash might happen.

I have already tried Reinstalling 375.70 drivers, tried 378.92 drivers and tried compatibility mode for program.

Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x58bdeecd
Faulting module name: CoreMessaging.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x9904400e
Exception code: 0xc0000602
Fault offset: 0x0000fb52
Faulting process id: 0xdbc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2acd917029d14
Faulting application path: D:\Games\1st Mmo's\Star Wars-The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\CoreMessaging.dll
Report Id: 1ba7db01-09a6-4fb6-b138-b59d76cd5dec
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I beleive this issue is cause by the gamebarpresencewriter.exe that is some XBOX component that is integrated into the OS as part of the CU update of win 10. which starts with ANY game that is launched which I think is trying to hook into the swtor, and swtor does not like ANY thing hooking into once it is launched, as it usual end in some way with a crash. This process also has nothing to do with XBOX app so remove that app wont stop that process cause it integrated into the OS like cortana is integrated in the OS and Startmenu

even though the event viewers says its the coremessaging.dll

I did a clean install of the CU update since, and now I only seem to get the crash IF i tab out at anytime before I select a toon and fully load the game. after that I Can switch toon all i want and wont crash, but IF i tab out before this It usual ends in crash. I also on build 15063.13

using 375.70 nvidia drivers and newer drivers are no different

Edited by Kyuuu

I beleive this issue is cause by the gamebarpresencewriter.exe that is some XBOX component that is integrated into the OS as part of the CU update of win 10. which starts with ANY game that is launched which I think is trying to hook into the swtor, and swtor does not like ANY thing hooking into once it is launched, as it usual end in some way with a crash. This process also has nothing to do with XBOX app so remove that app wont stop that process cause it integrated into the OS like cortana is integrated in the OS and Startmenu

even though the event viewers says its the coremessaging.dll

I did a clean install of the CU update since, and now I only seem to get the crash IF i tab out at anytime before I select a toon and fully load the game. after that I Can switch toon all i want and wont crash, but IF i tab out before this It usual ends in crash. I also on build 15063.13

using 375.70 nvidia drivers and newer drivers are no different

uhm a microsoft joke then !!! not funny :(

how to turn off the gamebar, this is woking for me ! :D

Turn the Game Bar on or off in Windows 10

1. Navigate to the Xbox app within Windows 10.

2. Select Settings and then Game DVR.

3. Turn ‘Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR’ to off.

Edited by AssassinHeadShot

uhm a microsoft joke then !!! not funny :(

how to turn off the gamebar, this is woking for me ! :D

Turn the Game Bar on or off in Windows 10

1. Navigate to the Xbox app within Windows 10.

2. Select Settings and then Game DVR.

3. Turn ‘Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR’ to off.

that turns of the DVR function the Gamebarpresencewriter.exe still launches with that off as it not part of the xbox app the Gamebarpresencewriter.exe is integrated ( and have no clue what it is for but there folder for it in windows dir) in to OS like cortana there is no turn it off less you take ownership of the file and rename it. I did this once and I dont remember it client still crashed. if you dont have Gamebarpresencewriter.exe running in back ground then i dont know. I also already have that off, wonder that exe is part the gamemode which i have off too.

Like said the eventviewer points at coremessaging.dll as cause coremessaging.dll version is 10.0.15063.0 which newer then the one 1511 and 1607 used. it could very well be the cause I only think it Gamebarpresencewriter.exe cause people been saying it is crash games.

This file issue and file is only part of 1703 builds (CU) 1511/1607 before have no such file and dont crash. NON streaming client here, and this client worked fine till i put installed CU (creator update ) which launched officall today i think.

Since the fresh install of the OS the crash only happen IF i tab out before I have loaded one of toons, if i dont tab out before then the crash dont happen

Edited by Kyuuu

It's for all of those reasons that I disable windows update in my services and only update once I know all the issues have been ironed out,

If people are using a builders edition they should realise it is actually a live beta test and should expect bugs.

Even when using a live version I go in and disable a lot of settings in services and the registry to stream line the operating system of bloatware. The Xbox or recording app impacts lots of games and also the software (ie, built in keylogger) that either sends private info to Microsoft (ie, built in spyware)

I think today's KB4015583 update might fixed the issue I tabed out purposely before load character up and had no crash. I will report back if it starts crashing though

It's for all of those reasons that I disable windows update in my services and only update once I know all the issues have been ironed out,

If people are using a builders edition they should realise it is actually a live beta test and should expect bugs.

Even when using a live version I go in and disable a lot of settings in services and the registry to stream line the operating system of bloatware. The Xbox or recording app impacts lots of games and also the software (ie, built in keylogger) that either sends private info to Microsoft (ie, built in spyware)

if you have smart phone and use FB and twitters all that you already being spied on and tracks, you just need a battery connected to smart phones to have your location tracked even if phone is off, i dont see people have **** fit about that. Anyone that thinks there such thing as privacy and your not be tracked and data isnt be collected in this day and age of EVERY THING connected to NET is delusion., at lest MS is upfrount about it unlike some government agency, company ,etc that deny it and do it anyway.

Anything and everything going threw a satellite can be and is tracked and at this point everything does. so leave spying crap out this. welcome to digital internet world there is no such thing as privacy just the illusion of it people choice to believe.

Edited by Kyuuu

I just updated to the new version of Windows 10, the Creative Update, and SWTOR is crashing at character select now.

The only way I found for the game to work now is if I run the game as administrator. If it's not run as admin it will crash every single time.

Edited by ---AlterEgo---

I think today's KB4015583 update might fixed the issue I tabed out purposely before load character up and had no crash. I will report back if it starts crashing though

if you have smart phone and use FB and twitters all that you already being spied on and tracks, you just need a battery connected to smart phones to have your location tracked even if phone is off, i dont see people have **** fit about that. Anyone that thinks there such thing as privacy and your not be tracked and data isnt be collected in this day and age of EVERY THING connected to NET is delusion., at lest MS is upfrount about it unlike some government agency, company ,etc that deny it and do it anyway.

Anything and everything going threw a satellite can be and is tracked and at this point everything does. so leave spying crap out this. welcome to digital internet world there is no such thing as privacy just the illusion of it people choice to believe.

First I have turnoff the GAME DVR on XBOX app, and the game was run fine,

But today my windows has updated during the night and after this update ( KB4015583 ) the game start crashing again !!! i hate this !!!!

Edited by AssassinHeadShot

yah i thought that update fixed it but didnt, it still crash with that same event IF i tab out before actual loading a character all the way in the game. but seeing it only happens when I tabed out before loading character fully it not huge issue.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what helped me:

Right click the game's .exe file (I did both for launcher.exe and for ./swtor/retailclient/swtor.exe) and choose Properties > Compatibility, check the box "Disable fullscreen optimizations", apply and game run fine again )

I've had the same problem since installing the Creator Update Preview (I'm on insider fast track).

A more detailed description:

SWTOR launches fine, it boots into the character selection screen fine, then crashes within a few seconds. It doesn't crash if you're tabbed out. It also doesn't crash if you manage to load a character really quick.

The problem only exists on first load; subsequent character swaps don't trigger it.

The problem occurs 100% of the time if there's anything which uses media functions (including a web browser) running when SWTOR is being launched. Closing everything doesn't always help, likely due to persisting threads, relogging does.

Tried various compatibility tweaks, noticed no effect.

Okay, figured it out, and I have two screens and I play in windowed full mode so I can see the task bar all the time.

I'm in Win10 Creators.

1. Other apps are open. The application currently having the focus is app x.

2. I launch SWTOR launcher. focus changes to that.

3. I click play. SWTOR launcher disappears from the task bar (it's calling another application)

During this time, the focus reverts to another application, let's say back to x, who cares which.

4. SWTOR launches. The focus leaves app x and goes to SWTOR.

Situation A >> If the focus is on SWTOR when I first click on SWTOR, all is good.

Situation B >> If the focus does not return to SWTOR after SWTOR launches, setting the focus to it crashes SWTOR

There are three ways to redirect the focus to SWTOR that causes the crash:

1. Alt-tabbing until SWTOR cycles around.

2. Clicking the SWTOR screen, anywhere

3. Clicking the SWTOR icon in the task bar.

SO - best chance to have the focus return to SWTOR once the game launches:

1. Have no other programs running by the time you click PLAY

2. DO NOT TOUCH your computer at all until the character select screen loads.

If you feel you must have other apps running (voice chat, music, browser, whatever), then minimize all other applications prior to hitting PLAY

Hope this helps.

Temporary fix for me was to alt+enter OUT of fullscreen. Worked twice when I had crashes now. So basically you don't want to have it at fullscreen (even windowed fullscreen didn't work) when you go into character selection.

We still need an update on this, since it is on SWTOR side not windows, none of my other applications crash. Just updated NVidia and still happens (I keep it always up to the date) Edited by Echu

I can update but I still won't do this becouse I dont want to have problems.

If Win10 will automatically update my system and I'll have crashes with swtor, I'll just stop playing and sub.

Eventually everyone should be using that update, so they need to fix SWTOR fast