Swtor and Windows Creator update issues

Kyuuu

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't followed the link myself, but apparently, according to others, BW is saying avoid manually installing Creator's Update, that it's unstable.

Well, guess what. More than likely, Creator's update won't get any more stable than it is right now, and whatever functionality Creators Update added or removed will exist from here to the end of WIndows 10, so BW has just a few months before the "stable" release comes out to figure out what they're going to do.

Because, once the "stable" version comes out and the problem still exists, BW will be out of excuses. They'll need to adapt their product to match the platform's new environment. At that point, BW cannot ask their entire player base to avoid Windows updates just to keep their overworked programmers from having to figure out how to make their program work with updated Windows.

Edit: Just like I had to do to an existing database using VBA to instantiate an Excel object from within MS Access when Office went from 2010 to 2013. Flawless in 2010, broken in 2013, I had to modify two lines of code to accommodate the new way Excel instances were being handled in 2013. There was no waiting around for a "stable" version of Office 2013, I had to accommodate the new reality of the Office platform.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Hi.

To fix this :

- Disable the Windows 10 Gaming mode (Settings -> Games -> Game mode -> Disable)

- Disable the sharing NVIDIA Geforce Experience option

Note disabling the Xbox share option didn't fix the issue.

Rgs,

Selune

Edited by BlueSelune

I haven't followed the link myself, but apparently, according to others, BW is saying avoid manually installing Creator's Update, that it's unstable.

Well, guess what. More than likely, Creator's update won't get any more stable than it is right now, and whatever functionality Creators Update added or removed will exist from here to the end of WIndows 10, so BW has just a few months before the "stable" release comes out to figure out what they're going to do.

Because, once the "stable" version comes out and the problem still exists, BW will be out of excuses. They'll need to adapt their product to match the platform's new environment. At that point, BW cannot ask their entire player base to avoid Windows updates just to keep their overworked programmers from having to figure out how to make their program work with updated Windows.

Generally, it's NEVER a good idea to manually install a Windows update. Best to let Microsoft push out the install. In this case, there is actually a user gate for Windows 10 Home edition where you have to update some preference settings before update will take it to the next step of installing the Creator update.

The anniversary edition of Windows 10 also had initial issues in a variety of applications when released last summer. And you know what... after a month or two of Microsoft updates, and a few hardware driver updates.. they all vanished and the release was stable. It's why a lot of people do not jump on a fresh major update from Microsoft as soon as it is ready to release. Over time, there is more and more interdependency between OS updates, driver updates, and in some cases application updates.

They have put some new features in the Creator release that clearly are breaking some new ground and you can turn them off and move past this issue for now.. if you want. IF.. IF there are code changes on the client for SWTOR that are required beyond Microsoft fixing some dependencies and some hardware drivers needing updating.. I'm sure we will see them in a future patch.

Edited by Andryah

Generally, it's NEVER a good idea to manually install a Windows update. Best to let Microsoft push out the install. In this case, there is actually a user gate for Windows 10 Home edition where you have to update some preference settings before update will take it to the next step of installing the Creator update.

The anniversary edition of Windows 10 also had initial issues in a variety of applications when released last summer. And you know what... after a month or two of Microsoft updates, and a few hardware driver updates.. they all vanished and the release was stable. It's why a lot of people do not jump on a fresh major update from Microsoft as soon as it is ready to release. Over time, there is more and more interdependency between OS updates, driver updates, and in some cases application updates.

They have put some new features in the Creator release that clearly are breaking some new ground and you can turn them off and move past this issue for now.. if you want. IF.. IF there are code changes on the client for SWTOR that are required beyond Microsoft fixing some dependencies and some hardware drivers needing updating.. I'm sure we will see them in a future patch.

I'm in the early adopter program as well, the early ring.

Same issue here, for those who has the same problem, set the launcher on compatibility mode (windows xp sp3) and run as admin, it worked for me.

Will I be able to play on Bx11? i don't think XP was able to do so... and will it be able to get 2k resolution?

Hi.

To fix this :

- Disable the Windows 10 Gaming mode (Settings -> Games -> Game mode -> Disable)

- Disable the sharing NVIDIA Geforce Experience option

Note disabling the Xbox share option didn't fix the issue.

Rgs,

Selune

I have them both disabled for months, still getting the bug

Will I be able to play on Bx11? i don't think XP was able to do so... and will it be able to get 2k resolution?

I have them both disabled for months, still getting the bug

Besides disabling game mode in with does there was two other options. Not sure I'd the they are the same as disabling game experience in Nvidia but they are:

1) Disable vsync on your video card.

3) In Windows, disable the full-screen optimization option for SWTOR

I believe the fix for this is to do a clean install of the nvidia drivers , and at present do not install anything but the driver , ie. do not install geforce experience, shield etc - example link

Seems this is only part of the workaround though

Edited by OwenBrooks

Misery loves company?

Glad I found this post, I guess.

Saves me from tearing apart my system trying to fix something I didn't break.

Everything was running so great until the latest 10 update.

Do any of the fixes actually work?

Or are we waiting for Bioware?

I fear for he worst.

Hello eveyone,

I've been running the game just fine with Win10 CU installed. Game mode is on (as default) and I havent had the need to turn anything on or off. So it's not the build itself. I even get the user authentication pop-up "do you want to run this app" and click "Yes"

How I obtained it ; I created a new Windows 10 installation media with the latest build which included the CU update. Clean install and fresh install of SWTOR. The only thing I did was disable vsync from ATI app cause my panel is 144Hz

Cheers !

Disabling all the Game Mode functions didn't do anything for me. What ultimately worked was going to the launcher file, right clicking and selecting Properties. Then going to the Compatibility tab and selecting "Disable fullscreen optimization".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got the "push" to update and now I'm having these same issues. This is effing ridiculous. It's effing 2017, not 1999, this junk should just work and if it doesn't it shouldn't take effing months to effing fix.

In addition to disabling all the SETTINGS>GAMING garbage (that didn't help) I ended up trying this:

Close the launcher, right mouse click on the game shortcut,

select open file location and delete the BitRaider folder.

Next open task manager, in process tab stop all bitraider processes. Next to go the services tab and ensure bitraider is set to start automatically.

Close task manager, reopen the launcher and try again

So far so good but, effing come on already.

• 3 weeks later...

July 11, 2017—KB4025342 (OS Build 15063.483)

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

Addressed issue introduced by KB4022716 where Internet Explorer 11 may close unexpectedly when you visit some websites.
   Addressed issue to improve MediaCreationTool.exe support for Setup Tourniquet scenarios.
 [b][i][u]  Addressed issue with CoreMessaging.dll that may cause 32-bit apps to crash on the 64-bit version of the Windows OS.[/u][/i][/b]
   Addressed an issue where Visual Studio or a WPF application may terminate unexpectedly (stops responding, followed by a crash) when running on a pen and/or touch enabled machine with Windows 10 Creators Update.
   Addressed issue that causes the system to crash when certain USB devices are unplugged while the system is asleep.
   Addressed issues with screen orientation that stops working after lid close and lid open transitions.
   Addressed issue that causes .jpx and .jbig2 images to stop rendering in PDF files.
   Addressed issue where users could not elevate to Administrator through the User Account Control (UAC) dialog when using a smart card.
   Addressed issue where input using the Korean handwriting feature dropped the last character of a word or moved it to the next line incorrectly.
   Addressed issue with a race condition between the App-V Catalog Manager and the Profile Roaming Service. A new registry key is available to control the waiting period for App-V Catalog Manager, which allows any third-party Profile Roaming Service to complete.
   Security updates to Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Windows Search, Windows kernel, Windows shell, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Virtualization, Datacenter Networking, Windows Server, Windows Storage and File Systems, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel-mode drivers, ASP.NET, Microsoft PowerShell, and the .NET Framework.

This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website. 

this might be udate we looking for to fix this issue

Nah my game always crashes on first load, i removed CU update did newest GPU drivers checked my ini files in notepad editor etc. nada. Second SWTOR load works but i get a crash every other day but get back in.

I do not have CU but AU only. http://windows10dll.nirsoft.net/coremessaging_dll.html

That is a W10 subsystem connected to a dozen things to help crashing and error logging dianostices. When SWTOR crashes the game is doing something illegal (OS term) so the OS protects itself and kills the game. :mad:

SWTOR is not certified to run on Windows 10 but if you get it working it does run better than Windows 7.

KB4025342: are you recommending to put current branch of CU back on? Did you try it? Does it crash less or even start SWTOR? By the way not all CU'S are the same, you can't just say you have CU and your stable. There were prior versions of CU under KB 4016240 & KB 3176934 and a few more too.

This game needs a CU stability patch or a means to understand all the things necessary to launch, update and play SWTOR. for example if it's stable then MSFT patches we may have to redo the settings.

Edited by IntegrationArch

2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342

This update fixed the crashes in CU that was DUE TO ONE TABING OUT before loading a character all the way into game. that didnt happen in Anniversary and previous build

if you getting crashes NOT related to the "CoreMessaging.dll" cause you are "TABING OUT OF SWTOR before loading a character " you have other issues, this only crash related to window 10 CU specifically and had to be fixed by MS cause effected other 32bit programs on 64bit OS in similar situations

Win10 CU is perfectly stable providing rest of the system is stable, Swtor run fine on Windows 10 and has no capability issues with windows 10 as most people are running win10 and swtor just fine on the 2 + dozen pc I have setup and running there all more stable then win7 ever was, and the all can launch and run swtor just fine short of the "CoreMessaging.dll" issue that cause swtor to crash if one tab out before fully loading character.

Edited by Kyuuu

2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4025342

This update fixed the crashes in CU that was DUE TO ONE TABING OUT before loading a character all the way into game. that didnt happen in Anniversary and previous build

if you getting crashes NOT related to the "CoreMessaging.dll" cause you are "TABING OUT OF SWTOR before loading a character " you have other issues, this only crash related to window 10 CU specifically and had to be fixed by MS cause effected other 32bit programs on 64bit OS in similar situations

Win10 CU is perfectly stable providing rest of the system is stable, Swtor run fine on Windows 10 and has no capability issues with windows 10 as most people are running win10 and swtor just fine on the 2 + dozen pc I have setup and running there all more stable then win7 ever was, and the all can launch and run swtor just fine short of the "CoreMessaging.dll" issue that cause swtor to crash if one tab out before fully loading character.

The more highend gaming hardware your PC has, the more unstable the drivers and games will fail to start or crash. When non SWTOR games crash with CU its different fixes than just SWTOR wont start or crashes.

Also not all CU updates are the same. MC$F confirmed CU is cumulave or dupleative depending on WHEN it was downloaded.

Edited by IntegrationArch

issue lay else where if that update dont fix the specific problem i was talking about... i am also perfectly aware of how the cumulative update work, it download only what is needed,

This update fix only and SPECIFICALLY the CoreMessaging.dll crash when one TAB OUT OF SWTOR BEFORE loading toon, and other 32bit programs under similar circumstance.

IT does not fix the random crash that swtor has it does fix stability due to ones system and or driver/software config.

Edited by Kyuuu

Can confirm that this is the update that solved my startup crash issues.

Now I can start game and do other stuff while game loads in background.

Edited by jimmorrisson

• 1 month later...

Well, Windows finally forced the Creator's Update on me, and now SWTOR doesn't work properly anymore. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.

I can't tab out at all, in any form, whether on the character manager, or while I have a character in the game active. It locks up my entire computer and I can't even access the task manager to force quit out. Only a hard reboot stops it.

Is there any solution for this?

I was also avoiding the update until Windows just decided to do it on its own.

After trying many suggestions I ended up rolling back to the previous version and everything works fine. Now I just hope the update doesn't install itself again.