Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Does the game get better the further you level?

Paulsim

I am now a level 15 Consular now. I played a little of a the Inquisitor during the big stress test. After waiting for years for this game I think I have come to the dissapointing conclusion that MMOs are not my cup of tea. I do not fault anybody for enjoying this kind of game play but I fear that it just isn't for me.

Does the game get any different at higher levels or is it basically the same? I guess the question I should be asking is the story worth hour after hour of mind numbing button pushing?

Maybe I am getting too old for video games.

I am now a level 15 Consular now. I played a little of a the Inquisitor during the big stress test. After waiting for years for this game I think I have come to the dissapointing conclusion that MMOs are not my cup of tea. I do not fault anybody for enjoying this kind of game play but I fear that it just isn't for me.

Does the game get any different at higher levels or is it basically the same? I guess the question I should be asking is the story worth hour after hour of mind numbing button pushing?

The game was good from the start for me, it's very user friendly and everything is at your fingertips. It's like WoW only better ....

Not so much the further we level, I just think MMO's are typicall "No-frills" right at launch. And it takes more than a week or two to get the polish and deep-content live and relatively bug free.

The impatience I'm seeing in gamers is just disgusting. Granted, I know many came from WoW as their first MMO and even then, they didn't play it at launch. But regardless, an MMO is always a work in progress. If you don't see the POTENTIAL for great gameplay or improvements then you'll most likely never enjoy the game.

Things take time and MMO development is no different.

Hey OP. If you do not enjoy the basic combat in this game then you will probably not enjoy leveling any further or playing to 50.

You could try one of the other classes like a ranged blaster class. But I do not think I would play this game just for the story if I did not enjoy the gameplay and combat.

I am loving the combat in this game but I actually like this type of gameplay. I leveled 5 characters to 60 in vanilla WOW when I had actually grinded mobs.

What is it that you do not like about the game? It could be just like you said that MMO style game play is not and will never be your cup of tea.

It's an mmo. In general, the gameplay stays the same as you level, but you get more abilities, some may be more exciting. The major difference is that the numbers you see floating across the screen get larger. You do more damage, you take more damage, you have more health, they have more health, etc.

So the gameplay itself stays about the same.

You don't mention which features (or lack of) lead you to this conclusion, so we could not possibly tell you if those items will be any better.

What is it that you do not like about the game? It could be just like you said that MMO style game play is not and will never be your cup of tea.

I am afraid that is it. I never played WoW or any other MMO. I think just this style of game is not for me. I am gonna stick it out and give it a chance to grow on me but not forever.

If this is your first MMO it is too bad that BW destroyed the MM part with these shards. Most MMOs the first 30 levels are the most fun ever in the game you will have but no interaction has caused this one to fall short and is barren and dull. Which is too bad because those interactions take away from the mind numbing mission grind. I don't even listen to most of the talk after 20 or so and just space past it.

Yes it does. I've played Consular (in beta, only till around lvl 26) and the story gets much better. BH has a great story too (beta until around lvl 30), and so does SI - my current main.

The first two planets really are the prologue, and quite slow, from there the story begins to pick up pace.

Edited by DarthSeer

The Consulars story is slow to start. Once you get past the prologue (get your ship and leave for taris) and into chapter 1, it gets more interesting. The thing with Consular story is it gives you A LOT of background and lore information so it starts a bit slow. So if your not a history fan, it will seem slow. Also, there is an spoiler early in the story making you say "i really wish I didn't know that... Now I know the ending fight"

But as I said, once you hit Taris, it will start picking up. Also once you hit lvl 19, you get the Warzones (well can start them at lvl 10 but... you know). there's flashpoints, huttball (high level) and operations (raids - end game).

Also, as far as boredom goes, you have to mix it up. Don't just sit there always doing quest after quest after quest. Throw some crafting in there, maybe some "tom foolery," even space combat for what it's worth

Frankly.. No. I love it, I've enjoyed every planet so far but if you don't find the side quests and combat to be satisfying enough with the high concentration of story content on the first several planets then no it's not going to get any better. Class quests get more sparse as you have to spend more and more time doing side quests before you can continue them as you go. I'd give it till Nar Shaddaa and if by then you're still finding the game to be a drag I'd quit and move on.

Can definitely see why the combat wouldn't be for everyone. It gets pretty bad near 50 when almost every encounter has a strong in it which doesn't make it harder, just longer. Wouldn't hurt though to try other classes before you give up though, never know..

Edited by alkanterah

I have a Jedi Sage I play with the wife and friend. Yes I'm the healer and the storyline is OK at best. I have a Bounty Hunter I play on my own and I absolutely love the storyline involved. Both are in their mid 20's.

I would try a different class, maybe a smuggler or Agent. Maybe a different storyline will catch your interest. As with all MMO's, the game play of each class is very different also.

Good luck!

I am afraid that is it. I never played WoW or any other MMO. I think just this style of game is not for me. I am gonna stick it out and give it a chance to grow on me but not forever.

There is nothing wrong with that. I have a ton of friends that feel the same way about MMO's but they will play Call of duty until their thumbs fall off. I can not stand call of duty. To each their own.

I do hope you figure out a way to enjoy the game, but it is perfectly fine if you don't.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.