The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is the game Empire-biased?

shyzofreny

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

So I've been thinking lately - and it seems that SWTOR is... kind of heavily biased towards Empire. Think for yourself - the Empire has better class stories, better planet stories, better looking gear, better players overall, Empire (as far as I know) wins all PvP matches, they have the best guilds, and so on... Why even play Republic? It doesn't have any cool stuff. Nothing is left for the poor Reps but scraps :(

Anyone else feels the same way? Do you think BioWare intentionally made the game better for the Empire players, or is it just a coincidence?

Class Stories-Depends on a personal view. I like some of the republic stories better than I do the Empire.

Planet Stories- See above.

Gear- Please. Those stupid things sticking out of your shoulders make me look like an airplane. I tend to use cartel gear and that gear is for either side.

Players- Nope. Both sides have good and bad players.

Guilds- Nope. I am in a guild that has a guild on both sides and they are the same people.

So no I don't agree. I think it is a personal bias that you may have for the empire.

I don't want to name names, but some on the team have a Kai Zykken bias.

-eric

I feel you. I really loved that narcissistic and unintenionally funny guy.

It's such a shame that he disappeared from the screen. He also was kinda hot!

Would be nice to see him return, I really need him as a companion.;)

I feel you. I really loved that narcissistic and unintenionally funny guy.

It's such a shame that he disappeared from the screen. He also was kinda hot!

Would be nice to see him return, I really need him as a companion.;)

This! Kai Zykken would make an excellent companion for a Dark Side Sith Sorcerer - he would just mock all their "I'm supreme lord" nonsense constantly :D Just let the sorcerer lightning him from time to time.

Both sides have good and bad points but since when does the Empire have the sexiest villains? Have you seen Darth Baras?

Empire does have the best heroics though - that needs to be sorted.

Hello all,

So I've been thinking lately - and it seems that SWTOR is... kind of heavily biased towards Empire. Think for yourself - the Empire has better class stories, better planet stories, better looking gear, better players overall, Empire (as far as I know) wins all PvP matches, they have the best guilds, and so on... Why even play Republic? It doesn't have any cool stuff. Nothing is left for the poor Reps but scraps :(

Anyone else feels the same way? Do you think BioWare intentionally made the game better for the Empire players, or is it just a coincidence?

better class stories- I disagree, BH is the worst overall story and Agent is the most overrated. Sith Inquisitor is the best one because its so nonsensical and bonkers that its can only be interpreted as a comedy. Im not convinced that story isnt actually meant to be a Spaceballs tie-in (also noteworthy that the imperial stories have most of my least favorite companions)

Not to mention that outside the Bounty Hunter I hate the voice acting for the Imperial main characters, Republic side they sound like people talking the way people talk, Imperial side they sound like parodies of themselves. Also the dialog options are way more cringe with the empire. instead of "A-serious response, B- an even response, C- snarky response" the imperial responses are "A- Im evil, B-Do you realize how cool i am? or C- Literally a Linkin Park lyric." which pretty much loses its appeal after you hit the second planet.

better planet stories- nah, its about even money on either side to me. about as many good as bad. At least as the republic you spend most of the stories winning the war and taking back planets.

better looking gear- if by "better looking gear" you mean "looks like the mcdonald land gang cosplaying the Rocky Horror Picture Show" then yes, its better looking. I think imperial gear looks like BDSM Scuba gear personally and would immediately call into question anyone wearing that stuff who thinks "Man, Im really pulling this look off!"

better players and guilds- thats more a server to server thing, but for the most part its more that the empire just has more players, which doesnt really translate to better.

I can't speak for the current atmosphere at the studio. However, the developing team did have a bit of an Empire bias.

It wasn't a screw the rest of the game bias though; clearly. Why? I think if you look at the JK story especially it seems pretty clear, to me at least, that likely would've been the story for KotOR3.

Some of the perception could just be a left over from this having been Bioware's first mmorpg though. X person working on that story, X person working on this story, and a few things just gelling in such a way that it looks like the better game play may be on one side rather than both. We, essentially, have mirror classes though... so in that sense the game isn't really faction biased.

As a player I was pretty pro Rebel back during SWG. And pro Melee. I switch that up with this game and now am pretty Pro-Empire and ranged.

I guess what I'm saying is... that much of the truths we cling to depend very much on our point of view. :D

I don't want to name names, but some on the team have a Kai Zykken bias.

-eric

Wait...but you DID name names...it's right there at the end of your post...it clearly says "-eric"...and if you ask me, that guy is as biased as they get. ;)

Of course Empire has better stories - there is nothing more cliche and boring than being a good guy on a quest to save the world. And even if you want to be the bad guy and the godd guy's side you look just stupid :rolleyes:

I was on these very forums back in 2009/10 complaining about the Empire bias. I don't know if the search function goes back that far but you can see threads I started back then talking about "Sith Love". The first Blur trailer with Malgus slaughtering Jedi and destroying the Jedi Temple, how all the imperial gear looked ******, the imperial and Sith animations and abilities all looking cool, etc.

It got so bad that even BW acknowledged the disparity by having an NPC in-game joke about how cool imperial armor looked.

I've always been a Republic guy and always will be. I really do believe the bias towards the Empire was a contributing factor to the population imbalance at launch, which still persists today.

Of course Empire has better stories - there is nothing more cliche and boring than being a good guy on a quest to save the world. And even if you want to be the bad guy and the godd guy's side you look just stupid :rolleyes:

Although I will say this. For me the Jedi Knight story is far and away the best in the game, better than the agent story that I'm playing through now. But that's because I'm a huge KOTOR geek and the Jedi Knight is KOTOR 3,4,5 etc. KOTFE and KOTET were meant to be played by an LS Jedi Knight all the way around. I feel like he/she is the main character of SWTOR.

My problem with Empire is that all the stories are cartoonishly evil. But that's probably because I played them all DS. Which made it all really silly to me.

You very well can't have jedi running around in elaborate, high fashion robes. So - sith automatically win in that respect. Much of their armor is designed to strike fear or awe in their opponents, so its got to be more meaningful than just robes to cover your body.

Trooper vs bh armor is debatable and interchangeable. The mando look gives the bh a slight edge, imo.

Some of the leather smuggler stuff looks awesome and I wear it on my sith sometimes. Agents have a large proportion of dohickeys on their gear, all those backpacks and cartridges and antennas are fugly. I only like the official Imperial uniform looks for the agent, so I think smuggler wins that contest.

As for the stories, that has to be a personal opinion. I prefer the warrior, inq, and agent stories to all, so I agree that the Empire has the best stories. The planets are all pretty much the same stories for both sides, though.

Player base is totally circumstantial. In a game where you can have multiple characters and guilds, many people play both sides anyway.

It's not the stories that are cartoonishly evil then, it's your choosing DS when playing for a DS power. Try LS or neutral (suppose that's a weak option with DvL) empire for a more nuanced approach.

Everything on the Empire side is just better. I don't think it's the evil. Rather... the pubside feels like your usual IRL politics - self-righteous smugness about being obviously right with no need for justification. The impside feels like Trump time - whether good or evil, it's always for a reason (a good or evil one), and it's usually a bit crazy.

I was on these very forums back in 2009/10 complaining about the Empire bias. I don't know if the search function goes back that far but you can see threads I started back then talking about "Sith Love". The first Blur trailer with Malgus slaughtering Jedi and destroying the Jedi Temple, how all the imperial gear looked ******, the imperial and Sith animations and abilities all looking cool, etc.

What I remember being most impressed with from the original trailers was Kao Cen Darach - he was so bad *** fighting Malgus and Vindican at the same time. Didn't need no fancy robes. I wish he wasn't dead :( And then Satele is a close second vs Malgus in the second trailer. When she stopped his ls with her hands :o

It's not the stories that are cartoonishly evil then, it's your choosing DS when playing for a DS power. Try LS or neutral (suppose that's a weak option with DvL) empire for a more nuanced approach.

Everything on the Empire side is just better. I don't think it's the evil. Rather... the pubside feels like your usual IRL politics - self-righteous smugness about being obviously right with no need for justification. The impside feels like Trump time - whether good or evil, it's always for a reason (a good or evil one), and it's usually a bit crazy.

I actually played my sorc LS, so my bad. The rest I did DS. It was still cartoonishly evil because at the end of the day, all the Sith are batsh** crazy and/or religious zealots. An LS inquisitor actually remarks about that.

But here's my biggest problem with the empire stories: the Sith stories are all exactly the same regardless of how you play them. You have to deal with a former master or council member that you could see coming from a mile away. There's no real consequence and you know that ultimately, the empire loses the war.

On the flipside, every Republic class ends with defeating the Empire, from the emperor on down. BW actually did a good job showing how this took an immeasurable toll on the imps by the time Makeb rolls around. As Marr puts it, they are losing badly.

The Empire is about internecine fighting, while the Republic is about actually winning the war. And the class stories reflect that.

Hello all,

I disagree.

Knight = Warrior(story)

Knight = Warrior(looks)

It all depends on tastes.

Consular < Inquisitor(story)

Consular = Inquisitor(looks)

You are right here.

Trooper >> Bounty Hunter(story)

Trooper >> Bounty Hunter(looks)

BH is really a missed opportunity, no matter how you look at it.

Smuggler < Agent(story)

Smuggler >> Agent(looks)

This is also up to a personal preference.

Trooper < Agent(story)

Trooper = Agent(looks)

No question there. Looks depend on whether you want to use Heavy Armor or Medium Armor.

Smuggler >> BH(story)

Smuggler > BH(looks)

Why play a BH if you can play a Smuggler, lol?

///

Conclusion, it is pretty equal with a bit slant towards the Empire, yes. But it's not so big as a lot of people assume. Really, as much as Agent gives to Empire, that much a BH detracts. So, there's that. It's all about the personal preference. And also authoritarian vs libertarian approach. I could never support a *****tain that is Empire, for example. Because I don't need others to tell me what to do or to plan my life(all things that Empire LOVES to do).

Ultimately, personal preference.

Edited by Cuiwe

better class stories- I disagree, BH is the worst overall story and Agent is the most overrated. Sith Inquisitor is the best one because its so nonsensical and bonkers that its can only be interpreted as a comedy. Im not convinced that story isnt actually meant to be a Spaceballs tie-in (also noteworthy that the imperial stories have most of my least favorite companions)

Not to mention that outside the Bounty Hunter I hate the voice acting for the Imperial main characters, Republic side they sound like people talking the way people talk, Imperial side they sound like parodies of themselves. Also the dialog options are way more cringe with the empire. instead of "A-serious response, B- an even response, C- snarky response" the imperial responses are "A- Im evil, B-Do you realize how cool i am? or C- Literally a Linkin Park lyric." which pretty much loses its appeal after you hit the second planet.

better planet stories- nah, its about even money on either side to me. about as many good as bad. At least as the republic you spend most of the stories winning the war and taking back planets.

better looking gear- if by "better looking gear" you mean "looks like the mcdonald land gang cosplaying the Rocky Horror Picture Show" then yes, its better looking. I think imperial gear looks like BDSM Scuba gear personally and would immediately call into question anyone wearing that stuff who thinks "Man, Im really pulling this look off!"

better players and guilds- thats more a server to server thing, but for the most part its more that the empire just has more players, which doesnt really translate to better.

Thanks for making my morning. :D