Bioware Please Merge Servers

Totemdancer

The reality is, we don't even need that though. Our population is so small now that one server would suffice.

True in most instances except when leveling a toon. On Harbinger you actually have to wait for people to click on open area items when leveling and Heroics can be pretty crowded. Fixed if they allow for multiple instances which some planets they don't seem to allow.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True in most instances except when leveling a toon. On Harbinger you actually have to wait for people to click on open area items when leveling and Heroics can be pretty crowded. Fixed if they allow for multiple instances which some planets they don't seem to allow.

Yeah, the leveling areas tend to be way more crowded. Some of that is regular new player activity. Many of those players turn over before they reach end game, so you might always have that nuance.

We'd have to wait and see what Biowares capabilities are, at the moment it's complete speculation because they like to keep what they can do close to their chest. The character limit is a good question though because it maybe something bioware themselves haven't even thought of.

I was just referring to my own experience when we merged. I ended up with 23 toons.

I guess if people had 40-50 alts per server and they ever did a massive merge of 2-3 server into one, Bioware would need to look at options or a policy on how to impliment that. We could only hope they would allow all alts and that the server could cope.

On a side note, it would be funny to see over a hundred alts in the login screen. I think they'd need to make the menu smaller so you could show 20 per page or you'd be changing pages forever trying to find the right alt. LoL

Server limit has been mentioned though before in more than one merge thread. I know because it was me who said it. You are to my knowledge the first player who was asking for merges to at least post a reasonable reply instead of just saying, "well who needs that many characters" and just dismiss it. At least this thread has made some progress. Also glad to see far more use "I" and "in my opinion" instead of saying they are talking for all.

Yes progress indeed. :)

It's still all pointless bickering unless there's something to do. Fix the reasons behind falling populations first - i.e. content drought. Priorities, man. With as little as I log on anymore which server doesn't matter.

The problem is that sparse populations is, in and of itself, a reason for populations to fall all by itself. The people that keep playing on dead servers and like it are a tiny minority. And people deciding on a new game or a game to return to or a game to stay invested in largely don't give much consideration to a game with a huge perceived popuation problem. At best the current situation just looks like sloppy and glacially slow management.

The reality is, we don't even need that though. Our population is so small now that one server would suffice.

The issue with that is lag for overseas players.

If you locate it on the east coast I go from 220ms to 400ms+.. which is unplayable for people in the APAC region.

If you put it on the west coast anyone from EU gets double the lag they have to the US east coast.

By making it one server you would effectively lose a large part of the population. Which would make it even worse than now.

Plus if that many people left, Bioware would make a lot less money, which means even less resources to keep the game going.

Number 5 sounds like it might be the best until you stop to think and realize that even separate RP or solo instances will not stop the rolls (especially the Harbinger trolls) from choosing to play in those instances specifically to ruin other players gaming experience.

Also, how do they create "solo" instances? If Johnny has chosen to play in the "solo" instance and Billy wants to do the same, do they create a separate "solo" instance so Johnny and Billy each have their own "Solo" instance? That could get quite taxing on server equipment, I would think.

Does Johnny's "solo" instance become a "non-solo" instance? That would defeat the purpose of having "solo" instances if anyone and their brother could join, right?

Somewhere there has to be a compromise or we're likely to end up with something no one wants. I'm not saying Bioware would listen even if we had a consensus, but they are more likely to pay attention if most people are onboard with an idea. Although I'll admit they didn't when we asked for one combined APAC server and instead they merged us to the US and they didn't seem to care they would lose a big chunk of revenue when people quit because of 200ms lag.

So I guess them making one mega server is within their realm of stupid ideas. It certainly wouldnt be their first.

The mega server is what's really got me worried and that's one of my reasons of trying to see if we can come up with a compromise. At some point they will close a few servers because it is cost effective when populations are so low and that's even taking the whole player concerns of low population out of the equation. I don't know when that will be, it might be 12 months away, it might be three. Saving costs was part of their reason for closing all the APAC. Remember EA is run by accountants and bureaucrats, not gamers. I'm sure some don't even understand how gamers think or know what lag is.

Have you possibly got any compromises to offer if they are thinking of going down the path of closing servers. I can't think of anymore.

Also to be honest I don't know how they could do solo instances. Maybe just disable people being able to group. That effectively makes it a solo game. But that's probably not ideal unless they can have another RP instance or two.

If you locate it on the east coast I go from 220ms to 400ms+.. which is unplayable for people in the APAC region.

If you put it on the west coast anyone from EU gets double the lag they have to the US east coast.

By making it one server you would effectively lose a large part of the population. Which would make it even worse than now.

Plus if that many people left, Bioware would make a lot less money, which means even less resources to keep the game going.

Plus, if I remember correctly, the EU population in this game is higher than the US. So they would be shooting themselves in the foot if the moved the servers all to the US. I know I wouldn't play with the abysmal internet infrastructure the US has. Nothing against my US sisters and brothers, but it is what it is.

you can play this game at 400ms it's really not that bad and saying 220-400ms is unplayable for APAC players is false I have raided in EU and done most raids with a 400ish ping in all modes with no issues and vice versa for EU players playing on east coast and west coast doesn't stop them doing what they love because I know plenty of EU guys that raid on west and east coast servers.

you can play this game at 400ms it's really not that bad and saying 220-400ms is unplayable for APAC players is false I have raided in EU and done most raids with a 400ish ping in all modes with no issues and vice versa for EU players playing on east coast and west coast doesn't stop them doing what they love because I know plenty of EU guys that raid on west and east coast servers.

I actually said 400ms+, I think you misunderstood what I was trying to convey. I never said 220-400ms was unplayable, I said going from 220 to 400ms+ is unplayable.

I already play with 220ms-300ms on a daily basis, so I beg to differ that 400ms+ is playable. What you find acceptable others do not. As a person who only pvps, speed is important. Raiding is more forgiving of Ping, but even then it's not ideal.

If that wasn't the case, then why did 90% of my old pve/pvp APAC guild quit instead of playing in the US and that was only with 220ms. Lots of APAC players left too, especially Pvpers for the very reason of going from 20-50ms to 200-300ms.

So it's not false what I'm saying, it's my opinion and that of many others who I have known in this game for 5 years that anything over 300ms is unacceptable for any game and 400ms is basically unplayable and be competitive.

Edited by Icykill_

Being able to play against non sentient AI bots at that lag is one thing, being able to play against players in the US when you have half a second lag is not even remotely possible.

I do not understand why BioWare still keeps servers with too small population.

Something like this only leads to a loss of more and more subscribers.

It really is not fun if you have to wait for pvp 4 hours.

Yep, it's state of the art ignorance and incompetence which finds not even remotely a match in the gaming industry.

4 hours is very bad too while some here suffer on a very high level, yet, we on Jar'kai Sword wait for a pvp/gsf pop for... ELEVEN MONTHS now. I'm not kidding, exaggerating or anything like that...

But I'm sure pixel garbage for 60 bucks a piece will solve all problems this game has which caused the low population servers in the first place. Finally "content" you can directly buy lol. Competence at work in Austin, melk what is left.

Edited by Khaleg

I completely understand that. I'm not arguing for one server, I'm just stating that we could all fit on one with our current population. This game doesn't need the number of servers it has.

Yep, it's state of the art ignorance and incompetence which finds not even remotely a match in the gaming industry.

4 hours is very bad too while some here suffer on a very high level, yet, we on Jar'kai Sword wait for a pvp/gsf pop for... ELEVEN MONTHS now. I'm not kidding, exaggerating or anything like that...

But I'm sure pixel garbage for 60 bucks a piece will solve all problems this game has which caused the low population servers in the first place. Finally "content" you can directly buy lol. Competence at work in Austin, melk what is left.

Yet, you CHOOSE to remain on that server AND to continue to subscribe and give money to a company that you apparently despise with a holy passion.

One has to wonder why anyone would continue to give BW your money when they hate BW so much and if this game is so bad. Is it "a fool and their money" or is it that they really are only here trying to cause drama?

I do not understand why BioWare still keeps servers with too small population.

Something like this only leads to a loss of more and more subscribers.

It really is not fun if you have to wait for pvp 4 hours.

Because it gets very boring after a while if you only do one thing with exact same players.

Try something else. If pvp is the only thing that interests you then this game is obviously wrong one for you. Go try EVE.

Edited by Halinalle

Do you have the option to move to a higher population server and CHOOSE not to do so?
He has the option to pay to move his toons...that's not the same thing. That's paying Bioware for letting his server die and abandoning him on it. It's rewarding Bioware with $ for letting his server get to the point it's at. Bioware should value him as a customer, and his $, more than they do, and help him off that server for free.

He has the option to pay to move his toons...that's not the same thing. That's paying Bioware for letting his server die and abandoning him on it. It's rewarding Bioware with $ for letting his server get to the point it's at. Bioware should value him as a customer, and his $, more than they do, and help him off that server for free.

I did not ask if he had the option to move for free, although as a subscriber he DOES have the option to move without having to pay any additional cost, as long as he is willing to use that subscriber stipend for transfers and not piss it away on packs or other things.

I asked if he had the option to move and he DOES have that option. He simply CHOOSES not to avail himself of that option, for whatever reason.

I did not ask if he had the option to move for free, although as a subscriber he DOES have the option to move without having to pay any additional cost, as long as he is willing to use that subscriber stipend for transfers and not piss it away on packs or other things.
I know you didn't. You mistakenly used the word choice. You said he has the choice...which he doesn't, he has to purchase it.

Ever since the PvP servers died in late 2014 I've been in full support for heavy consolidations. It's common knowledge that the playerbase is the smallest it's ever been and it will continue to go on this way with more dwindling players unless there's ONE major server for each location.

This is the ideal solution for this situation:

West Coast:

The Harbinger (main server)

Begeren Colony (RP server)

East Coast:

The Shadowlands (main server)

The Ebon Hawk (RP server)

EU:

The Red Eclipse (main server)

The Progenitor (RP server)

I know you didn't. You mistakenly used the word choice. You said he has the choice...which he doesn't, he has to purchase it.

That does NOT negate the fact that he DOES have the choice to move, even if availing himself of that CHOICE means that he has to <GASP> use his stipend for the transfers and not packs and other fluff.

I correctly used the word CHOICE. Nothing about a CHOICE is required to be "free".

I can CHOOSE to continue to drive a beat up, broken down, gas guzzling car or I can CHOOSE to crive a newer, more efficient car. That fact that I have to pay for the newer car does NOT negate the fact that I CAN CHOOSE to drive a newer car.

That does NOT negate the fact that he DOES have the choice to move, even if availing himself of that CHOICE means that he has to <GASP> use his stipend for the transfers and not packs and other fluff.

I correctly used the word CHOICE. Nothing about a CHOICE is required to be "free".

I can CHOOSE to continue to drive a beat up, broken down, gas guzzling car or I can CHOOSE to crive a newer, more efficient car. That fact that I have to pay for the newer car does NOT negate the fact that I CAN CHOOSE to drive a newer car.

Yeah, I mean who can argue with that right? Rather than getting something he wants with his monthly coins that are a part of his subscription, who wouldn't be happy to take it in the shorts twice? Forego something he wants and earns by being a sub AND pay Bioware for ignoring his plight. How could he possibly think that's a bum deal? He should smile and be happy right? YOU would pay, so it's unimaginable to you that other people might not feel the same way you do. Technically, he has the choice to move...but that choice penalizes him fiscally and rewards Bioware for abandoning him. Most people have higher standards than that Rat.

Yeah, I mean who can argue with that right? Rather than getting something he wants with his monthly coins that are a part of his subscription, who wouldn't be happy to take it in the shorts twice? Forego something he wants and earns by being a sub AND pay Bioware for ignoring his plight. How could he possibly think that's a bum deal? He should smile and be happy right? YOU would pay, so it's unimaginable to you that other people might not feel the same way you do. Technically, he has the choice to move...but that choice penalizes him fiscally and rewards Bioware for abandoning him. Most people have higher standards than that Rat.

I'm sorry. I thought he wanted a higher population server.

If Johnny wants to play on a higher population server and chooses to use his stipend to move to a higher server, then Johnny IS getting something he wants, correct?

I'm sorry. I thought he wanted a higher population server.

If Johnny wants to play on a higher population server and chooses to use his stipend to move to a higher server, then Johnny IS getting something he wants, correct?

You act like this is HIS fault. He picked heads, not tails...so you feel like he should have to pay...which I find ridiculous.

You act like this is HIS fault. He picked heads, not tails...so you feel like he should have to pay...which I find ridiculous.

The fact that the server Johnny chose has a lower population than he would prefer is not his fault. The fact that Johnny CHOOSES to remain on that server when he HAS the option to play on a server with a population more to his liking, IS "his fault", though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.