Staggered Launch Appreciation Thread.

Lutherus

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I pre-ordered late and will (probably) be one of the last into the game early, I really don't see what is wrong with the approach Bioware is taking. Certainly, it could be improved by Bioware being a little more forward about their plan but, with how people are complaining because Bioware is doing what they said they would do, I can understand why they're not more forward with information. Essentially, I think most reasonable people would be satisfied knowing how many "waves" they thought they could complete tomorrow but I couldn't imagine how much complaining there would be if they were unable to hit their target.

I'd like to thank the devs for going out of their way to ensure that those who get access when they do get to have a flawless launch experience, and keeping the community well-informed about when waves go out, and why and how this whole process works.

From what I have read they tried to NOT have a staggered launch. The staggered launch was EA's idea and since they have the final word that's what happened. Bioware guys are mostly gamers themselves, they know how bad it is but obviously they had to go with it and try to sell it any way they could to us...

/signed

The only gripe I have with the current system is the lack of a EGA schedule, so that people could have an idea when they could get invited.

Other than that I don't expect to get in sooner than the 18th and I still support this system.

Good point.

I'll /return-sign that

Edit: There's a lot of Jawas on this page O.o

Edited by Lutherus

/Signed

I pre-ordered in November only, cause i wanted to do it after i could test the game, which happened in the large beta weekend, loved the game so i pre-ordered right after, i really wanna play like everyone else, but i understand why bioware is doing it like this, no one wants a messy launch.

It's no secret why the waves are 18 hours apart. They need to allow everyone from day 1 to leave the home planet. I am glad they had the insight to do a staggered launch. I ordered in early august, so I might be playing tomorrow, but i'm not going to be surprised or hurt if I am not.

/signed

I literally only just preorderd it.. about... three days ago? I'm not expecting to get in until at least the 19th... though I hope it is the 18th, I go home for christmas on the 19th and I can't take my pc with me.

It's amazing how hypocritical and closed-minded you are. People don't agree with you that it's a good launch so they're wrong because you're right. Amazing logic.

This launch is a bad launch because of the fact that player X will have over a week's head-start over player B.

There is no reason for this to be forced onto players, no benefit that couldn't be obtained from further beta testing of servers. It's penny-pinching.

So i guess its unfair for anyone starting in a years time to play the game..i reckon we should wait for them to start playing before we do so we dont out level them...

Oh btw, not in yet, but /signed. good job bioware. nice early access so far. Very stable from what i hear in vent

Staggered launch is fine. Communication and prep around this is absolutely dismal and pathetic.

Sorry, but having players wait with baited breath refreshing e-mails and web pages for days was really not well thought out. Maybe it was to build hype, maybe is was to have a smooth launch, but it definately wasn't done with the best interest of customers in mind.

I am not in yet, and I don't worry about it nor am I upset in the least (still have lots to do in Skyirm), but this was NOT at all a proper way to do it. As someone in my guild said on Vent today, it is like showing up at the bus terminal without any sort of schedule posted. How happy do you think customers would be in this case.

While I am on a PvE server, I bet this is going to have a major backlash on PvP servers when early access means ganking low level players and ruining their in game experience simply because this wasn't well thought out at all on Bioware's part.

In a nutshell, it leans more towards a fail than a success. How one can call 2 million threads of upset customers a good launch is beyond me.

I'm really happy with this system.

Things are smooth, it gives people a chance to get the hell out of dodge on the first planet or so, making it a smooth launch for the next wave, and it rewards people for supported bioware by buying the game day one.

I ordered two copies for myself and my partner, day one, just to make sure I would get in.

/signed

Thank you for making this thread. After watching the posts of the day I was beginning to despair. I wholly approve of the way BW has handled this launch and I hope the 20th is as slick as snot on a doorknob :D

And for anyone in line with "brown nose" guy above. I pre-ordered on Dec 1st after getting off the fence and wholly expect to not play until the 20th or later as I will be traveling and out of internet on the 18th and 19th. Se la Vie.

I absolutely love people like the OP who think that simply because someone doesn't agree with them about how the launch went, that said person is immature/whining/mentally deficient in some manner.

There are many people that have made excellent points regarding how this could have been handled better. That doesn't make them whiners. It doesn't make their opinion less valid than yours.

A large part of the complaints could have been alleviated through simple communication. You can't seriously expect anyone to believe that a company the size of BW/EA couldn't manage to have a small group of people sit down at some point in the last 10 days and determine a schedule of when people will be allowed into the game. Simply send a mass email to all pre-orders stating "Check the chart and match your redeem date to see the general timeframe you're in."

Plus I think it threw a lot of people for a loop that invites for day 1 stopped at 2pm CST, especially when coupled with the fact that for some inexplicable reason they decided to start the next round of invites 2 hours later tomorrow than they did today. I can easily see how some people would take this as insulting treatment from BW.

If the Battlefield 3 launch for xbox 360 is any indication, I do not trust how EA handles their servers. With that being said, I for one am happy with the staggered launch. If anything, people should be happy with any EGA at all. They could have just given you the preorder crystal and that's that. But no, they are letting people play early. In fact, they added 2 more days to EGA, and people still complain. I'm guessing these are the same people who could never follow rules in school such as standing in a single file line and no cutting. You show up first, you get in first. It's no one elses fault that you didn't enter your preorder code sooner than the next person. Be happy with what you have. Sheesh.

BW, you are fully backed.

/signed

Anyone with half a brain realizes this was the way to go.

lol how the hell do you figure this? I mean seriously

either you're already in game or you're blinded by fanboyism (or y'know, both)

this is probably one of the poorest ways to launch an MMO like this. can't you see all the problems it's causing, or are you just pulling the wool over your eyes for that too?

Edited by Esaru

/signed

I am SHOCKED to see what people are posting. It's been so clear that it would be a rolling start ... they even said as early as five days, and then started it up at 7 days out .. BONUS!!

Clearly, these are people who have not played games before where everyone starts on the same day. NO FUN AT ALL!

I like that they are rewarding those that took the early gamble.

Keep it up!

When you launch, you want to know that when its time to play you will be able to play.

The staggered launch wont please everyone, but once you get in atleast you know you will be actually able to play

Expect this to become the norm for other MMO launches if they pull it off.