The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MaximumOwnage

Pvp's bigger problem is imbalanced classes. Put a veng jug in 208 or 242, he's still not going to solo kill a halfway competent merc or sniper.

Agreed. Balance in PvP is 99% of the problem. Gearing shouldn't be an additional hurdle...but it is now.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pvp's bigger problem is imbalanced classes. Put a veng jug in 208 or 242, he's still not going to solo kill a halfway competent merc or sniper.

As a Vigilance Guardian I know my dps isn't great anymore and I can struggle with even putting reasonable pressure on any of the healers types never mind solo'ing most other classes.

Still while class balance matters so does gear. Both are important and that is actually why I think getting the gear quick matters or having bolster just eliminating gear concerns works as well.

Don't you think that's a bit ridiculous, though?

I don't think they're where they need to be with GC yet, but 4 hours playtime isn't long enough to start a red alert emergency thread.

Gearing is what you do to play the game, not what the game is.

Think about that, then tell me again why gearing up quickly is a problem.

Edited by Voblat

Gearing is what you to to play the game, not what the game is.

Think about that, then tell me again why gearing up quickly is a problem.

EXACTLY!!! During 4.0, when gearing was the best it's ever been in this game, I played more often, did more things and used multiple toons to do it all...because gearing them wasn't an issue. Gear makes a difference in this game...I don't want it to be that way, but it is...and in 4.0, it was the best it has ever been imo because it encouraged me to do more.

Once again, set bonuses are pretty much laughable. Take my scoundrel for instance:

2 piece bonus gives me a whopping 2% damage for 15 seconds every 30 seconds. Watch out!

4 piece gives me a 2 energy reduction on cost for one ability. I never come close to going low on energy, with or without it.

6 pieces gives me an auto crit on my main damage ability. Great right? Oh wait...it's only once per minute...with my natural crit rate, I'm already critting with that ability constantly anyway.

I really, really don't understand why everyone hangs so much of their gear argument on set bonus.

^^ Yep yep.

It's not like set bonus makes a big difference in any notable way. Sure it's nice to have a bit more margin for those hairy edge moments ... but you are still at the mercy of RNG on every combat cycle.. and set bonus will not overcome it much of the time.

If set bonus gave strong passives or something.. that effectively moved gear half way to the next tier performance wise ... I could understand the addiction to set bonus.

With all the gnashing about set piece gear from players.. I fully expect them to drop set piece bonus from gear itemizations in 6.0. There is precedent for it.. as they effectively did away with PvP gear in 5.0. So players really should be more careful what they rant about, and how they go about it.

Edited by Andryah

Tried it out last night, yeah, crates come faster but still contain nothing but worthless garbage that is not any kind of upgrade at all. I am wearing 228/230 gear. I don't need set bonuses but I fail to see the point of grinding years old content over and over again for crates of worthless junk. I just do not get it and I certainly see no reason to pay a sub for the "privilege"..

Why don't you people just go to another mmo??? quit complaining. Oh.. thats right, they do random drops like this one too. lol. wahh wahh wahhh... Grow up!!!

I am going to another MMO that does not feature a worthless system based on trying to get people to re-run tired, old content. 16 days left on my sub here. I believe in giving something a shot before I decide whether I like it or not so I actually gave it a chance and tried it before my sub runs out.

Subbed to ESO instead of resubbing here.

LOL, obviously you don't play a sage healer.

Seriously folks, some set bonuses are critical if you want to do the harder stuff.

I think the truth is that some classes have very beneficial set bonuses, and some have marginally beneficial set bonuses, and a bunch in between. Which is weird, they should all be equal. I'm not a fan of set bonuses.

If we're going with set bonuses, I'd rather they move away from stat based gear and instead gave each class a selection of set bonus gear to buy and customize our builds with, like the way utilities work.

I think the truth is that some classes have very beneficial set bonuses, and some have marginally beneficial set bonuses, and a bunch in between. Which is weird, they should all be equal. I'm not a fan of set bonuses.

If we're going with set bonuses, I'd rather they move away from stat based gear and instead gave each class a selection of set bonus gear to buy and customize our builds with, like the way utilities work.

This is so true. Has been the same with set bonuses in WoW every tier, a few are great or even OP, some are OK and some are weak or even next to useless. It all depends on class and build. Same here, some are a big benefit, others not so much. They never seem to be balanced across classes and builds

I kinda like this idea...it would make balancing classes a bit more difficult, but I can see how this would be great for character customization.

I kinda like this idea...it would make balancing classes a bit more difficult, but I can see how this would be great for character customization.

I'm sure Ben Irving would declare having options for character gearing 'too complicated', and instead want to substitute a system where your set bonus benefits are determined by RNG whenever you open a Command crate or buy an unassembled piece, and if you want to change the set bonus you have to pay a bunch of Command Tokens and unassembled components and maybe some GSF requisition just to make it SIMPLER by his definition. Because RNG is EXCITING!!!!! and you experience the THRILL OF THE HUNT!!!!!

Edited by AscendingSky

I'm sure Ben Irving would declare having options for character gearing 'too complicated', and instead want to substitute a system where your set bonus benefits are determined by RNG whenever you open a Command crate or buy an unassembled piece, and if you want to change the set bonus you have to pay a bunch of Command Tokens and unassembled components and maybe some GSF requisition just to make it SIMPLER by his definition. Because RNG is EXCITING!!!!! and you experience the THRILL OF THE HUNT!!!!!

All they had to do is make unassembled components drop at pre 5.0 (approx. 10 times its current rate) and problem would have been solved. But no, that's just to easy so they are going to torture the remaining player base by not FIXING the problem but instead tweek it a little.

It was a simple fix and they failed. They failed us all.

All they had to do is make unassembled components drop at pre 5.0 (approx. 10 times its current rate) and problem would have been solved. But no, that's just to easy so they are going to torture the remaining player base by not FIXING the problem but instead tweek it a little.

It was a simple fix and they failed. They failed us all.

Ben Irving is the lead producer for the game. GC is his baby. If anyone's head should roll (figuratively!) for the damage done to this game and this community of players, it's his.

Edited by AscendingSky

Ben Irving is the lead producer for the game. GC is his baby. If anyone's head should roll (figuratively!) for the damage done to this game and this community of players, it's his.

But why didn't he just crank up the unassembled components to pre 5.0 rate? It was an easy fix, why didn't they just do it and end this mess they created?

Ok, well just played 4 straight hours non stop with 100% cxp boost on and 10% cxp unlocked on legacy and here is where I am at with this.

I am done for now. My will to grind this any longer is gone.

#1. The unassembled component rate has remained exactly the same. I honestly cant do this. I have over 40 alts since the DvsL event went live and I just cant go any further with this grind.

#2. The current rate of return is better with the boost, but it is nowhere near where I would like it to be. I have played 4 straight hours and have no received 1 piece of armor I need. Not only that, but I also opened about 15 other crates I had saved prior to the patch because I thought the crates were going to be legacy bound. And out of 4 hours of grinding today and 15 crates saved up from before I got absolutely nothing.

#3. I compare this update to something like this. You had a very terrible car crash. And you bring your wrecked vehicle to a shop. The car is pretty much destroyed. So the shop does some work on it and tapes up a few things, gets the car running and banged out a few dents. And then when you go to pickup your car the shop owner say "here is your car. Yeah I know its a piece of junk BUT hey its better than it was". Yes true it is better than it was. And yes for the moment it "works" but it was not fixed properly. It was just shoe stringed together to make it "better than it was".

In closing this gear system has done me in. I just had to unfortunately send out dozens of emails to my guild mates who quit playing and to tell them don't bother coming back. The gearing system is still broken. Very sad.

All you guys had to do to fix this is get the unassembled components to drop at the same rate as 4.0 and problem would have been solved. But here I am once again in this mess you guys made. I am done. I have to get off this wagon. The ride isn't fun anymore because of this grind. It has broken my will to play.

I didn't ask you to tweak the problem, I asked you to fix the problem. And I am sorry but you failed. You failed me and a lot of other people who play this game.

I have always said, ' when a game starts to be like a job and all you do is Work at having fun, but you cant because all the work is like a job, that you give a 100% and get back Hours of nothing not even fun. Then when the fun is work and it all feels like a job, its time to quit. '

I give it one more patch to fix all this work, or i am going to work at finding another fun game. Or go on a long break from SWTOR

Take Care & Be Well...

LOL, obviously you don't play a sage healer.

Seriously folks, some set bonuses are critical if you want to do the harder stuff.

1) NOTHING in any set bonus is make or break (ie: critical). Some are more useful then others I acknowledge, which is a separate issue entirely on the aspect of balance actions by the studio for classes. You either have it and make allowances to take advantage of it, or you do not have it and again.. make allowances accordingly.

2) By all means keep complaining ... and they may very well remove set bonus entirely in the future. ;)

Edited by Andryah

^^ Agree with this assessment and advice.

But why didn't he just crank up the unassembled components to pre 5.0 rate? It was an easy fix, why didn't they just do it and end this mess they created?

Increasing the unassembled components by x10 and giving them for all missions not just pvp/gsf and putting unassembled tokens back on all bosses of an operation as a 100% drop would fix this mess completely. I also think that the RNG crates should be dropping unssembled tokens instead of the actual gear to help with gearing of alts and handling duplicates.

Doing this so that the RNG crates are not the primary way to get gear would actually bring back several guildies and friends to the game and keep many of us on the verge of leaving.

The command rank and RNG crates should have been a secondary reward for playing the game and getting gear/cosmetics etc not the primary way to get end game gear. It would have still helped those that didn't run ops or pvp and would not have run all so many.

Faster CXP and more RNG crates just means faster and more disappointment as 70-75% everything I got last night was trash and destroyed for more CXP.

Why they don't abandon this bad experiment for end gaming gearing , I have no idea but frankly getting tired of feeling like we are being strung along to keep our subs going making us think and hope it is going to get better, when it isn't.

As it is, if the grind remains without a major change like above, then even my days are numbered after 5 years of being a constant sub, and I really don't want that to happen, but everyone has their breaking point.

That's coming in 5.1.2. Seriously, 5.1.1 was just the placebo patch. I actually have hope for 5.1.2.

They are fixing the DvL suit bolster then too, yay.

That's coming in 5.1.2. Seriously, 5.1.1 was just the placebo patch. I actually have hope for 5.1.2.

They are fixing the DvL suit bolster then too, yay.

Well when is 5.1.2 coming out. I am seriously hanging on by a thread here. All my friends told me I get what I ask for and told me to quit like they did. I hope this is coming soon because I don't have much left in me waiting for this to happen.