Walker piloting is stupid and terrible. Stop making me do it.

LordNythrax

I actually enjoyed the change of pace and the boldness of Bioware to try something different. The only problem I had was the usual interface and ability delay that plagues this game since its inception. If they could finally figure out how to fix the ability delay it would be great.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hit the first chapter of KOTET for the first time. Holy crap is this lame. Yeah let me put aside my agile powerful Sith Lord in order to slowly trudge along in an awkward lumbering walker getting pew-pew'd by a million tiny crappy mobs, half of which I have to slowly walk up to and step on because they have shields.

Oh but it's so iconic. Yeah when I was a kid I totally dreamed about piloting one of those awkward chicken-walkers from Return of the Jedi. You know, the ones that got humiliated and repeatedly destroyed by teddy bears.

Way to drag the entire scene to a screeching halt.

Curious. When I logged back in to SW:TOR for the first time after Knights of the Eternal Throne was released, I jumped straight into veteran mode with a level 65 character in 216 gear and found that chapter I is not a problem, I had to go to chapter II to notice that yes, veteran mode is actually more difficult than story mode.

I like those replacement abilities. I like when things do not always follow the well established patterns. I like to actually think tactical, actually make decisions. (Therefore I love such games, just to give some contrast to the boring routine. That the mobs do unusual things and there are diverse activities in the chapters is one thing I like about it.

This game has many flaws. The story, the chapters have many flaws. It really gets me on edge if some folks whose tactical understanding doesn't go beyond pushing the "1" key if they don't have a guide to lay it out for them criticize the really good things in this game!

So, if you get "humiliated and destroyed", even in story mode, then you probably deserve it, because you're simply not good enough. I wouldn't have thought it was possible to loose such a walker in story mode unless you were trying to.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Exactly how is it hard?

Running around in the walker stomping on entire groups and blasting them is soooo much easier and faster then doing the whole thing on foot would be.

The walkers and that huge droid battle, as well as being the teeny tiny little mouse droids are the first truly awesome story / RP elements they have added to the games quests in a long while. Totally mixed it all up to be something different then more of the same "walk here five steps, kill 10 Skytroopers, walk another 5 steps, rinse, repeat."

Exactly how is it hard?

Running around in the walker stomping on entire groups and blasting them is soooo much easier and faster then doing the whole thing on foot would be.

The walkers and that huge droid battle, as well as being the teeny tiny little mouse droids are the first truly awesome story / RP elements they have added to the games quests in a long while. Totally mixed it all up to be something different then more of the same "walk here five steps, kill 10 Skytroopers, walk another 5 steps, rinse, repeat."

I don't think anyone was saying it's hard, we are saying it's boring. And it is exactly like "walk five steps, kill 10 skytroopers." You just get to do it much slower.

Yeah let me put aside my agile powerful Sith Lord in order to slowly trudge along in an awkward lumbering walker getting pew-pew'd by a million tiny crappy mobs, half of which I have to slowly walk up to and step on because they have shields.

Lighten up. It's just a bit of fun.

I don't think anyone was saying it's hard, we are saying it's boring. And it is exactly like "walk five steps, kill 10 skytroopers." You just get to do it much slower.

It's not slow?

At all..

I don't see how people can think its slow that doesn't make any sense to me. Its slower killing each mob one by one with my lightsaber then it is stomping on entire group and moving on to the next.

That really was the worst. If there was a way to top how bad the walkers were, that chapter went all out in trying to be worse.

I loved this chapter...

Again, it was something entirely different to the norm and that made it fun.

How is chapters of kill 1000 skytroopers with your lightsaber, more fun than 9 mixed up chapters with variety?! Boggles my mind really. Yet all people are doing are complaining about the chapters they dared to do differently.

It's not slow?

At all..

I don't see how people can think its slow that doesn't make any sense to me. Its slower killing each mob one by one with my lightsaber then it is stomping on entire group and moving on to the next.

The walking in it feels glacially slow, and if you are killing big packs of mobs one at a time you really should have a look at your aoe skills. There is a reason aoe rotations exist ;)

I actually wonder how many people thought some of the puzzles that were in some of the heroics (Makeb) were boring. When they add something like this I actually enjoy it as it changes up the normal and does something different.

Going around killing NPC is boring no matter which way you do it.

I actually wonder how many people thought some of the puzzles that were in some of the heroics (Makeb) were boring. When they add something like this I actually enjoy it as it changes up the normal and does something different.

Going around killing NPC is boring no matter which way you do it.

I personally am not a fan of "gimmicks" in missions (quests in other MMOs). Gimmicks are what I consider puzzles, special equipment, setting up in static positions with <insert some over powered fixed mount weapon here>, having a special helper with you, etc.

Some people like them, some people do not. Some people like some and hate others. It's the nature of playing an MMO.

However, I have become accustomed to seeing them from studios for many years now. It's just one in a long list of things that MMO players are faced with in MMOs and must find a way to cope with (even if it means ignoring the mission/quest). Some are actually fun, some are not fun, and most of them simply slow down the players effort to complete the encounter.

Edited by Andryah

It's not slow?

At all..

It's an ok concept implemented very poorly. Frustration is what I feel when I play them. Those things should not be getting tripped up by anything laying on the ground, you should have some kind of rocket propulsion available every few seconds so that it doesn't feel like your're moving in slow motion, and your abilities should actually fire when you press the button. It's just broken. IT JUST FEELS BAD.

The walking in it feels glacially slow, and if you are killing big packs of mobs one at a time you really should have a look at your aoe skills. There is a reason aoe rotations exist ;)

Somehow I just knew someone was gunna say something like this..

The walker - one stomp - entire group dead. No matter how many AoE's you use you still can't kill an entire group of mobs with just one hit. :D

The walker really isn't slow at all it just feels that way because it's so huge. It's legs are long and equal about 5 of our steps or more per one of it's steps.. and the map we are given is also pretty huge.

It's a massive battleground. I really loved that entire chapter because it really felt like a battleground.. same with the Odessen one. And Iokath, that whole place was pretty awesome.

I dunno, to me it feels like sometimes people forget to take the time to enjoy their surroundings these days.

Seeing Voss go from what it was, to totally and utterly destroyed was awesome.

Seeing how HUGE Iokath was, as like an entirely city was awesome.

Jumping into a huge *********** droid and playing with it instead of our usual skills was fun! As was the walker for the same reason.

Hacking a mouse droid and sneaking around behind the backs of the Skytroopers - genious.

Having the party and needing to do all those little mini things on the side to get around in there was fantastic. Taking food to the officers quarters to steal the shield to get past the guard to do this and do that etc... It was a little story all on it's own.

I miss quests like that. KoToR had that kind of thing.

Lately its all been jump on board a ship or a planet, kill a bunch of skytroopers with your lightsaber. Break a few pieces of tech.. move on to the next and repeat the process over again.

I want to know who thought up the quests for KoTET.. that was really getting back to the old school KoToR storytelling and quest building, almost, almost as good as the awesome puzzles they also used to do.

Maybe it's an age thing. I was a teenager/young adult when KoToR came out. I was gaming during the times of Mist and Riven, Day of the Tentacle and a whole bunch of other LA games that was all about adventuring and puzzles and what not.

Games where you not only had things to kill, but also had to figure stuff out to continue moving the story forward. Fun stuff that had more depth to it then simply point and shoot and hope the thing doesn't one-shot kill you in return. I miss that.

I loved this chapter...

Again, it was something entirely different to the norm and that made it fun.

I very much disagree on that chapter. Breaking the norm in this case didn't help. Run around the maze like mansion yapping at different people till you find the right ones, then do it again finding different areas to place bombs to then do it again to get back out. It was a complete lack of entertainment to only fall back on lets throw out some sky troopers to boot. ugh :(

They broke the norm but what they made was still broken in my eyes. If you liked it I have no problem with it but I don't agree. It was a complete waste of time in a rat maze just to make it last longer than it should have.

How is chapters of kill 1000 skytroopers with your lightsaber, more fun than 9 mixed up chapters with variety?! Boggles my mind really. Yet all people are doing are complaining about the chapters they dared to do differently.

Who said it was more fun? Either of those designs sucked. Just like stomping on troops on a amazingly slow walker was terrible.

Different is fine if it's entertaining. The walker was not. Chapter 6 definitely was not nor is killing a thousand sky troopers. The complaints on those lackluster moments are indeed warranted. If you're going to break the norm better to make sure it amazing. What bw designed was not that in those areas.

Edited by Quraswren

I've said this before in another thread, but I feel like the walker in KotET chapter 1 should have been a Basilisk War Droid. It would have fit in better with the whole "We're going in with loads of Mandalorians to liberate a planet" thing. The way Torian talks about the walker when he gives it to you really feels like it was written for a Basilisk, not a basic walker.

Save the basic walker for Odessan (if at all).

Yes, I hate the walkers with a passion! Between that and a certain thing that happens later in the story, which I won't mention because of spoilers, I've avoided doing it on more than one toon. I hate what happens later so much that I question whether this expansion is really worth doing for me, but the walkers rate up there with that, for sure.

The problem I have with them is they don't move like our walker mounts do. I strafe a lot (keyboard mover, I admit it...LOL!) and that's just not possible with these lumbering pieces of scrap metal. I don't want to be stuck in one again. I'd prefer to just use my character and be done with it.

Thank you for starting this thread. Hopefully they'll take notice of all the people who absolutely hate it and either stop doing this to us, or at least give us the option to ignore the walker if we'd like.

I actually thought it was ok the first time. Something different. But it got really old, really fast after that.

Subscription Plans

You have 1 day of subscription play time remaining.

i agree with this. running alts through the walker quest is a drudgery.

I like the concept, just not the execution. The walker seems to go at the speed of mud, and the bugs that caused your attacks to either be heavily delayed or not work made it a very frustrating experience.

If both of those are fixed, I think it would be a fun and different bit of gameplay.

Somehow I just knew someone was gunna say something like this..

The walker - one stomp - entire group dead. No matter how many AoE's you use you still can't kill an entire group of mobs with just one hit. :D

The walker really isn't slow at all it just feels that way because it's so huge. It's legs are long and equal about 5 of our steps or more per one of it's steps.. and the map we are given is also pretty huge.

It's a massive battleground. I really loved that entire chapter because it really felt like a battleground.. same with the Odessen one. And Iokath, that whole place was pretty awesome.

I dunno, to me it feels like sometimes people forget to take the time to enjoy their surroundings these days.

Seeing Voss go from what it was, to totally and utterly destroyed was awesome.

Seeing how HUGE Iokath was, as like an entirely city was awesome.

Jumping into a huge *********** droid and playing with it instead of our usual skills was fun! As was the walker for the same reason.

Hacking a mouse droid and sneaking around behind the backs of the Skytroopers - genious.

Having the party and needing to do all those little mini things on the side to get around in there was fantastic. Taking food to the officers quarters to steal the shield to get past the guard to do this and do that etc... It was a little story all on it's own.

I miss quests like that. KoToR had that kind of thing.

Lately its all been jump on board a ship or a planet, kill a bunch of skytroopers with your lightsaber. Break a few pieces of tech.. move on to the next and repeat the process over again.

I want to know who thought up the quests for KoTET.. that was really getting back to the old school KoToR storytelling and quest building, almost, almost as good as the awesome puzzles they also used to do.

Maybe it's an age thing. I was a teenager/young adult when KoToR came out. I was gaming during the times of Mist and Riven, Day of the Tentacle and a whole bunch of other LA games that was all about adventuring and puzzles and what not.

Games where you not only had things to kill, but also had to figure stuff out to continue moving the story forward. Fun stuff that had more depth to it then simply point and shoot and hope the thing doesn't one-shot kill you in return. I miss that.

I agree entirely with your post. I loved the walker missions and hope they add more. Old school Battletech and Mechwarrior player. So the walker missions really appealed to me.

The first time it was fine for me. But then you had to do it over and over and over...

It got old real quick. I know Bioware was trying something new--and it worked well imo-but to keep pushing it repeatedly reminded me a lot of Batman Arkham Knight: Too much Batmobile.

Just hit the first chapter of KOTET for the first time. Holy crap is this lame. Yeah let me put aside my agile powerful Sith Lord in order to slowly trudge along in an awkward lumbering walker getting pew-pew'd by a million tiny crappy mobs, half of which I have to slowly walk up to and step on because they have shields.

Oh but it's so iconic. Yeah when I was a kid I totally dreamed about piloting one of those awkward chicken-walkers from Return of the Jedi. You know, the ones that got humiliated and repeatedly destroyed by teddy bears.

Way to drag the entire scene to a screeching halt.

I loved it, it was fun and different as well Easy as hell. What so hard that you cant get past it the first time?

I hope they do more stuff like that in the future. Dont make something out to be hard just cause you dont like it.

I would not mind it as much if I could change my hot keys for the temporary toolbar. I have my hot keys and my tool bars set up in a way that really doesn't work well with the tempory bar and I end up clicking, it's more annoying on the HK quest, because I enjoy the quest. More customization for temp tool bar would be nice