A shame about flashpoints

ScytheReaper

I just got back into this game....

and now I'm not sure if I want to keep playing.

Not because it's bad or because I wasn't having fun but because people in flashpoints are super impatient. To the point where if I don't skip all of the cutscenes I'll just get kicked or they'll leave the group.

Or if I don't skip mini-bosses and other fighting opportunitieis.

It's like...why are you even playing this game if you don't want to enjoy the content? If you're just going to try and skip everything then why play at all?

At first I thought it was fine because all of the flashpoints I had done up until now had story mode varients so I was able to do them on my own for the story.

Some flashpoints (like hammer station) don't seem to have a story mode varient....

If all of the major flashpoints are only available in veteren mode I'm just not even going to bother. I'd rather play something else then have chunks of content cut out for me because other people can't wait the 5 extra minutes to watch the cutscenes or want to just sprint past bosses.

Wasn't that the entire selling point of this game? And people want to skip it all of the time?

Like I said it wouldn't bother me if every flashpoint had a story mode varient but knowing now that a great many do not is extremely disheartening as I don't feel I'll ever actually get to experience any of them.

Edited by ScytheReaper
typo

They want to skip it because they're just grinding it for experience/CXP. We haven't received a new flashpoint since two expansions ago, so anyone who's been playing consistently has already done all the flashpoints dozens of times. It gets old, and queues take long enough to pop these days without making the process of actually clearing the FP longer than it needs to be.

Now, I've never been in a group that kicked someone for wanting to watch the cutscenes; people would complain and ask that someone spacebar if they weren't, but that's it. Now, if you're deliberately running off from the rest of the group and aggroing trash that the group doesn't need that the rest of the group wants to skip? Yeah, I have seen people get kicked for that, and I'll often agree with doing that--especially if running off alone to 'see all the content' means the group gets separated and wipes on trash.

Edited by AscendingSky

The old story mode flashpoints are completely gone and have been replaced with bolstered tactical versions.

Once you needed a full trinity group (1 heal, 1 tank, 2 dps) in appropriate level range to do Athiss story mode, now you just need 4 players of any level and any role.

The purpose of that fundamental change was obviously to make queue times shorter.

At least to me these tacticals have lost all of the appeal the former story flashpoints once had.

They are dumbed down, having kolto stations on every boss but some of them still beeing a pain to do with low leveled or dps-only groups.

For many players these tacticals are only interesting for getting exp fast so they want to rush it. The main source of gear during leveling now are planetary heroics so doing bonus bosses in tacticals is just a waste of time for them.

Like I said...tacticals are totally dumbed down and besides giving good exp they don't offer anything not even any kind of challenge (besides some hard trash pulls without a healer and without kolto stations). They are no longer an adventure and due to the removal of level restrictions they don't even fit into the story line anymore.

To me they simply lost their soul.

Hardmode flashpoints actually are still the same and still need a trinity group. And since bonus bosses give the same epic cxp crate that endboses give, most people (at least lv 70 players) seem to be interested in doing them.

It's just sad that doing hardmode flashpoints is so much less rewarding nowadays than doing pvp. Hardmode flashpoints give worse cxp per time spend and moreover they don't offer unassembled components. As a result most players prefer to pvp instead of queuing for a hm fp which has made the waiting times for a groupfinder pop worse than ever before.

All in all I have to agree.

It's a shame what has been done to flashpoints. They have been rendered meaningless (hardmode flashpoints) and they lost their soul and the purpose of teaching players the fundamental basics (tacticals).

Edited by Avianatorsparkma

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if cutscenes were unskipable.

Would people just stop running them or would they just sulk though them?

Same with skipping mobs.

I can understand wanting to watch cutscenes but if you are one of these people who want to fight every single avoidable mob, there's no justification for wasting other people's time on trash- fight avoidable trash mobs on your own time.

Edited by AllisonLightning

Same with skipping mobs.

It probably depends on the flashpoint. People would probably just sulk through the ones that don't have a lot of dialogue. Less people would probably be willing to run the Esseles or Black Talon though.

I think Bioware should have made cutscenes unskippable personally, at least with the easier difficulty mode. Spacebar should only be an option in Hardmode flashpoints. It would be a lot friendlier to new players who want to experience the story, without having to deal with three spastics yelling SPACEBAR and OMG SKIP.

Like it was mentioned, since we didnt get anything new for years, people already played it all. People who are doing FPS now are "mostly" either farming achievements, cxp or xp. There is no other reason, there are no gear drops, crystals etc, nothing to gain from them, which is sad actually.

That means ppl wann finish as soon as possible. Yes, i was also doing the same, if ppl were not skipping, simply vote kick!! If you want the story, do solo!

With Group Finder you cannot put additional rules, so kicking someone out because he/she wants to see every cutscene or be a completionist killing every mob, is being an a-hole.

Sadly, there are a lot of those people. Some of the reason i don't do much group content.

If some people want to do a speedrun then look for the group in chat.

I just got back into this game....

and now I'm not sure if I want to keep playing.

Not because it's bad or because I wasn't having fun but because people in flashpoints are super impatient.

Don't blame the players - blame the company who hasn't developed any new FPs in 2+ years. This is what happens when development of new group content comes to a stand still and all that has been added in the past 2-years is a new solo story and a ridiculous gear grind. TBH, you should be grateful you even found a group to do FPs.

With Group Finder you cannot put additional rules, so kicking someone out because he/she wants to see every cutscene or be a completionist killing every mob, is being an a-hole.

I disagree.

I don't kick people unless they're not paying any attention, I don't ask anyone to spacebar, nor do I quit if someone wants to watch the cutscenes...but...if 3 people are skipping **** and the 4th wants to be a "complesionist", he's being the a-hole. When you're in a group, do what the majority wants. If you want special rules to your FP, form your own group on Fleet...expecting to get what you want out of a PuG is not only selfish, it's unrealistic.

Sadly, there are a lot of those people. Some of the reason i don't do much group content.

If some people want to do a speedrun then look for the group in chat.

If some people want to do a group to watch every cutscene and kill every single trash mob, then look for the group in chat.

It goes both ways, see. Majority rules in pugs. No one person should dictate everything for everyone else, that's selfish. If three people in the group don't want to do the bonus boss, the fourth person is being a jerk if they run off and attack it on their own because they want to do it and they don't care about the others.

And ppl wonder why que times are so bad. :rolleyes:

OP I completely understand your frustration. And they can blame 2+ years of devs making solo content all day, but it's bull ****.... I got those EXACT SAME responses 4yrs ago when I first started trying FP's. ;)

It's why I only run ones with solo modes now.

They want to skip it because they're just grinding it for experience/CXP. We haven't received a new flashpoint since two expansions ago, so anyone who's been playing consistently has already done all the flashpoints dozens of times. It gets old, and queues take long enough to pop these days without making the process of actually clearing the FP longer than it needs to be.

Now, I've never been in a group that kicked someone for wanting to watch the cutscenes; people would complain and ask that someone spacebar if they weren't, but that's it. Now, if you're deliberately running off from the rest of the group and aggroing trash that the group doesn't need that the rest of the group wants to skip? Yeah, I have seen people get kicked for that, and I'll often agree with doing that--especially if running off alone to 'see all the content' means the group gets separated and wipes on trash.

cant really say it better than this. if 3 people in the group want a fast run and you want to see the content, youre the one causing the problem.

If you want to see cutscenes and perform a full clear, I recommend recruiting a group on the fleet to do so. most people have run these things a ridiculous amount of times and just want to grind out the command xp for their upgrades.

Same with skipping mobs.

I would jsut stop doing them.

Personally I'd just wish we could queue for FP without cutscenes. after a +100 times they don't get old, they become a hassle. Same for the PvP intros.

Like it was mentioned, since we didnt get anything new for years, people already played it all. People who are doing FPS now are "mostly" either farming achievements, cxp or xp. There is no other reason, there are no gear drops, crystals etc, nothing to gain from them, which is sad actually.

That means ppl wann finish as soon as possible. Yes, i was also doing the same, if ppl were not skipping, simply vote kick!! If you want the story, do solo!

It's pretty clear you didn't even bother to read the original post because I COMPLETELY WOULD PLAY THEM SOLO IF I COULD.

This is the entire problem.

It's going to be hard for this game to attract new players (like myself) when we are subjected to a community that doesn't have the patience to allow newbies to actually experience the storylines.

Yes you can do a chunk of the game solo but the fact that I know I'll have to deal with this if I want to experience any of the 30/40 flashpoints that don't have story mode variant I'm basically SOL because out of 6 groups I was kicked 5 times and spammed into just rage quitting the 6th time.

If I wanted another generic MMO wherein I didn't care about the decisions/cutscenes/stories I'd just go play WoW.

I would jsut stop doing them.

Personally I'd just wish we could queue for FP without cutscenes. after a +100 times they don't get old, they become a hassle. Same for the PvP intros.

They should just make all of these solo-able instances.

Keep the group varients in there but if I want to actually experience the story I'd like a way I can do this

It's pretty clear you didn't even bother to read the original post because I COMPLETELY WOULD PLAY THEM SOLO IF I COULD.

This is the entire problem.

It's going to be hard for this game to attract new players (like myself) when we are subjected to a community that doesn't have the patience to allow newbies to actually experience the storylines.

Yes you can do a chunk of the game solo but the fact that I know I'll have to deal with this if I want to experience any of the 30/40 flashpoints that don't have story mode variant I'm basically SOL because out of 6 groups I was kicked 5 times and spammed into just rage quitting the 6th time.

If I wanted another generic MMO wherein I didn't care about the decisions/cutscenes/stories I'd just go play WoW.

I agree. I've been kicked for standing up for the newbie in the group who wanted to experience the cutscenes. 2 to 1 with 1 abstaining (the newbie probably didn't even know what was going on). Every FP needs a story mode.

I disagree.

I don't kick people unless they're not paying any attention, I don't ask anyone to spacebar, nor do I quit if someone wants to watch the cutscenes...but...if 3 people are skipping **** and the 4th wants to be a "complesionist", he's being the a-hole. When you're in a group, do what the majority wants. If you want special rules to your FP, form your own group on Fleet...expecting to get what you want out of a PuG is not only selfish, it's unrealistic.

If some people want to do a group to watch every cutscene and kill every single trash mob, then look for the group in chat.

It goes both ways, see. Majority rules in pugs. No one person should dictate everything for everyone else, that's selfish. If three people in the group don't want to do the bonus boss, the fourth person is being a jerk if they run off and attack it on their own because they want to do it and they don't care about the others.

So, acording to you two if a new player wants to do Black Talon Veteran as the game tries you to do with the social points and all, he is f****. A new player is likely to not even have a speeder that is required to do the speedrun. In BT(or esseles) for a new player or any other FP that does not even have a story mode what? How is a new player suposed to even know what the F*** is happening?

Flash Points are supose to be played first, not grinded. Can you grind them? Yes, you can. But If someone in your group wants to play it, even 3 against one, DEAL WITH IT.

Play is the norm. Grind a biproduct. At least one of you is regularly complaining about how crappy 5.X RND/GRIND Fest is.

So until GF has an option for PLAY vs GRIND (not likely to happen) or at least every FP has a SOLO SM, then try to have patience and let people experience the game as it was intended.

I just quit the flashpoint when people aren't skipping. Btw I mostly play tank or healer so queue times are non-existent. It's rude for 1 player waste everyones time. And if a Hardmode flashpoint is your first attempt at the said flashpoint, you're even more an a-hole for not doing the tactical version first to learn the mechanics.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.