The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why does the development team have so few resources/staff?

Xancath

You forgot one, the most likely one in fact:

5) they are staffed fine, it's just that they have decided to take the game in a direction that some players simply disagree with and said players then conjecture as to it being a resource limitation rather then a business direction.

It is after all... a tradition for MMO players to think they are the center of the universe and that what they want in a game simply must be implemented by any given studio. And when it is not, there are no limits to the conspiracy theories and negative rhetoric they will apply to try to get their way. Boundary issues are a big thing with MMO players, at least when they present themselves on the internet.

^ is the most unlikely scenario. If they are staffed fine why such a scarce amount of content? Hate or love the content they put out the amount of content they put out has been noticeably lower since 3.0.

The only way that works is if those solo story chapters took FAR more resources to develop than we imagined it would meaning a lot less playable content coming out for far more resources which would be a bloody silly move to make if they knew this heading in.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People buy 100s of cartel packs at a time even a lot of the single items in the cartel market sell like hot cakes this it why the game is not dead and won't be anytime soon. Why would they bother investing more in stuff like ops that will have much less return on the time and money? games like star trek online and other free to play stuff like that has plugged along on dead for years based on stuff like that and so will this game. Ops pvp raids it's all just extra that they are just going to tinker with at most from now on because even if all those people unsub they will still be in the green.

The game is fun for what it is but just like Star trek online it is what it is, the cartel market makes a huge profit on time and money spent on those items by the team that's all that matters to them really and due to the age of the game that's it.

You forgot one, the most likely one in fact:

5) they are staffed fine, it's just that they have decided to take the game in a direction that some players simply disagree with and said players then conjecture as to it being a resource limitation rather then a business direction.

It is after all... a tradition for MMO players to think they are the center of the universe and that what they want in a game simply must be implemented by any given studio. And when it is not, there are no limits to the conspiracy theories and negative rhetoric they will apply to try to get their way. Boundary issues are a big thing with MMO players, at least when they present themselves on the internet.

Business direction could certainly play into it, but it is an easily quantifiable fact that the amount of content being produced has gone down since the "good old days"

Not that the amount of complaining has changed of course, but that is an entirely different disussion.

EDIT: Not to say that this drop in content is unusual of course, being a 5 year old MMO and all, it's just I've seen people do a lot more with a lot less, so something is causing a holdup as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by MadDutchman

^ is the most unlikely scenario. If they are staffed fine why such a scarce amount of content? .

Maybe they want to make as little content as possible for the most money as possible. It makes sense.

Though I still think they're extremely limited by their funding.

Edited by Radzkie

I don't get your point really. Yes the games I mentioned have quality and quantity, some more than others. SWTOR is not getting new content that has either, which means EA does not value it high / or see any profit in investing in it.

u dont get it at all i see it, thats why the game is flooded with subs right :o

VENDETTA :eek:

do you rather play on half filled servers in a walking dead modus or prefer full servers, wich support the devs and give them kudos and the publisher ? think about it befor u answer !

full server are equally to a good game with quality and support in long terms. and dont think to come along that the time for mmos were gone a long time ago in a FAR FAR GALAXIE ;)

if this game would perform well we had a larger playerbase wich support this game, had mor content and this game wouldnt fall appart. but its not. so this game cant be so good. and the games u mentiond are not gamebreaking good games. and we all know €A, why they sometimes push games out with a new season. to milk the sheeps that follow the shepherd cos everybody does. that has nothing to do with quality. u have to listen sometimes to kids. some play games only because their friends do it, even if they dont like it. but at one point they realize its BS to do so

Edited by ShinDoRai

When they stop enjoying the game. How do you fail to get this? If I felt I'm not getting my monies worth I'll go play something else. I don't give a **** how much content FF14 puts out, I don't play FF14 I play this game.

When I stop playing this game as I feel I'm not getting my monies worth I catch up on solo gameplay.

Stop with this "people are getting ripped off" nonsense already, it's ludicrous.

I fail to get neither. It's good you enjoy your time in game. But those like you are becoming fewer and fewer by the week. Eventually, their may be no game to come to.

Like it or not, I am mainly pointing out what SWTOR is up against. There are a lot of people that do look at what other titles give them for their money, and if SWTOR can't even come close to competing, then the player base will continue to decline. This was a thread about resources after all.

When you look at what people are getting for their $180 in FF14, ESO, LOTRO or any other AAA MMO, people are getting far, far, far less for their money in SWTOR than any other title. I am sorry that facts bother you, but people are wondering why such a very small amount of content in two years and literally almost no new group content. If people want to play because it's "Star Wars" fine. But they are getting a heck of a lot (by a long margin) for their money than anywhere else.

Finally, I love you point out the hypocrisy as you mention how much you enjoy the game, yet are here posting responses the forums. If you were enjoying it so much then shouldn't you be in game?

Business direction could certainly play into it, but it is an easily quantifiable fact that the amount of content being produced has gone down since the "good old days"

Not that the amount of complaining has changed of course, but that is an entirely different disussion.

EDIT: Not to say that this drop in content is unusual of course, being a 5 year old MMO and all, it's just I've seen people do a lot more with a lot less, so something is causing a holdup as far as I'm concerned.

Business direction is very relevant to this discussion, and largely ignored by players who are unhappy. I don't really think the quantity of content over all has gone down as significantly as some portray it. It's just that they are focusing on specific content in each expac.. and this has been true for a long time now. The only expac that was large was the first one, which we had to actually buy.... and clearly a lot of it was already in development well before the big reorg and business model change in late 2012.

The issue is some players only want specific content and if that content is not on the release of an expac... much drama ensues. Couple this with the fact that this studio does smaller expacs more frequently also riles some players who are more used to the big expac every 2.5-3 years as WoW does it. SWTOR has had 6 formal expac releases since launch (most of them free of charge to subs) .. and a ton of major patching in between. That said, I acknowledge that this game does not meet the needs of progression raiders and hard core PvPers... and never has... so this is nothing new.

Players are being quite subjective with a lot of "pace of content" arguments as many of these players only like one or two content segments and conveniently ignore everything else. And players in general give the studio zero credit for the intense revamp of making older content that was part of 4.0 relevant again (beyond just character chapters) ... where they redid the entire range of heroics to make them level appropriate, repeatable, and an integral part of Alliance faction building.

Clearly, this studio reworked the game for it's 4th anniversary with 4.0, to make it more friendly for casual play and a provide faster onramp approach for newer players. These are both big moves that I applaud for this game. But it came at the expense of group content in 4.0. 5.0 has different challenges with what they released.. and if there were no GC... then a lot of players would simply have continued to play and grumble about no new OPs. Instead.. big meltdown over a poor release of GC in 5.0. But we ARE getting a good amount of small group content, with difficulty choices... and that IS progress for this game and is consistent with what they did in the big retooling that was 4.0. But for some.. content is not group content to them unless it is actually Operations.

And I am simply not into comparing one MMO to another for the sake of ranting about content release pace, or type of content. If rapid and deep pace of new content is a players priority.. then play the MMO that gives you what you want. But pace of content release has NEVER been my determining factor for playing an MMO.. because there is always a lot to do if you diversify your play across all content, including older retooled content. Players grinding the axe by comparing with other MMOs.. and openly stating they do not like this MMO anymore.. yet continue to prosecute their dissatisfaction in the forum instead of playing something they like.. is just ridiculous in my view. They should just go play the game that you are so pleased with and move forward.

Edited by Andryah

The issue is some players only want specific content and if that content is not on the release of an expac... much drama ensues. Couple this with the fact that this studio does smaller expacs more frequently also riles some players who are more used to the big expac every 2.5-3 years as WoW does it. SWTOR has had 6 formal expac releases since launch (most of them free of charge to subs) .. and a ton of major patching in between. That said, I acknowledge that this game does not meet the needs of progression raiders and hard core PvPers... and never has... so this is nothing new.

Players are being quite subjective with a lot of "pace of content" arguments as many of these players only like one or two content segments and conveniently ignore everything else. And players in general give the studio zero credit for the intense revamp of making older content that was part of 4.0 relevant again (beyond just character chapters) ... where they redid the entire range of heroics to make them level appropriate, repeatable, and an integral part of Alliance faction building.

Clearly, this studio reworked the game for it's 4th anniversary with 4.0, to make it more friendly for casual play and a provide faster onramp approach for newer players. These are both big moves that I applaud for this game. But it came at the expense of group content in 4.0. 5.0 has different challenges with what they released.. and if there were no GC... then a lot of players would simply have continued to play and grumble about no new OPs. Instead.. big meltdown over a poor release of GC in 5.0. But we ARE getting a good amount of small group content, with difficulty choices... and that IS progress for this game and is consistent with what they did in the big retooling that was 4.0. But for some.. content is not group content to them unless it is actually Operations.

ok let me translate it for u.!

- release was rushed.

- 1.7 was the point where it should has been released stated from the devs.

- lack in endgame at release and the reversal was f2p.

- all content till about till 2.4 was planed

- all in between content was supposed to be in expacs/dlcs. but wasnt, cos of shrinking subs and a small dev team as

result. so it was pushed out to hold subs. things in between are supposed to upscale and expand ingame fun.

- all parts in a mmo update must be served not only one in a season. cant be cos of above mentioned things.

- because all of above mentioned, €A dumped swtor and put it into a camp/maintanance mode after 3.0 and still

struggleing with dropping subs

- to less bugfixng drove away a lot of customers

- replacing leveling with levelsync was dumb, like removing skill trees, companion customization/gearing etc pp. it took

out a big portion of fun, at the same time still fighting with a shrinking playerbase. hardcore raiders left pre 4.0 or after it.

pvpers are long gone, cos of lack in class balance. only founders and some hardcore fans hold the candle up for

BW/€A.

- 4.0 was a change to streamline all content to gate it into 5.0 grind. even with throwing 224 bis gear with highlighted ops

- selling chapters every month couldnt hold the loss of subbs

- DvL is great and a super idea, but feels like a fiction after putting in so much work and resetting it. throwing in DvL bevor

5.0 hit also feels like only to make ppls do something only to hold them till 5.0 hits.

- putting too much in the Cartel Shop, while removing ingame vendors

- 5.0 grind grind grind with no light at the end of the tunnle. makeing it so bad and forgetting about the basic parts ( twinks,

pvp,ops etc pp ) so that a survey was needed. its not rewarding at all, even on old content. look at the dev stream why

they invented CXP. its was made to help gearing and getting the right things for every class/role. but failed hard

- selling BOOSTS for CXP after hammer nerfs, to get the feeling that you can receive more CXP is utter BS and P2W

- last dev stream showed us that they try something but they cant hold the pace, cos they are a small dev team at BWA.

BWA is only there for SWTOR and have nothing to do with other Bioware offices

and that are only my METRICS wich i read ingame, saw, through lived, discussed in TS and compared to other mmos.

and if u say i cant compare, i have to say I MUST compare it. €A is not a indy publisher or a 5 men show.

Maybe they want to make as little content as possible for the most money as possible. It makes sense.

Though I still think they're extremely limited by their funding.

If they are purposely making less content then they are over spending on wages/salaries - that would just be silly if your goal is to make the most money possible.

I fail to get neither. It's good you enjoy your time in game. But those like you are becoming fewer and fewer by the week. Eventually, their may be no game to come to.

So be it if that happens. Posting on the forums how great FF14 and how much content they release is isn't going to change that. Pretty sure the devs are well aware of how much content they put out and no doubt EA is well aware of the competition in regards to this game.

Like it or not, I am mainly pointing out what SWTOR is up against. There are a lot of people that do look at what other titles give them for their money, and if SWTOR can't even come close to competing, then the player base will continue to decline. This was a thread about resources after all.

People will play and pay for what they find enjoyable. There is only so much time in the world and with the HUNDREDS of hours of solo content in this game it doesn't matter how much more FF14 has or doesn't have up until the point you rinse through that and start finding this experience unenjoyable.

When you look at what people are getting for their $180 in FF14, ESO, LOTRO or any other AAA MMO, people are getting far, far, far less for their money in SWTOR than any other title

"People" ... what "People"? The newer player? The Veteran Player? Who exactly? I can afford 10 hours a week gaming in an MMO give or take - what does FF14 give me for my 10 hours that this game does not that is such a rip off?

Last I heard FF14 had a lot of text based story. I hate text based story. ZOMG FF14 is giving everyone less value for their money by not having all it's main story fully voiced! This is basically the argument you are making here and subjectively trying to tell everyone else what "value for money" is within an MMO.

I am sorry that facts bother you, but people are wondering why such a very small amount of content in two years and literally almost no new group content.

Then deal with that question - not this "but FF14 has..." nonsense. Why indeed such a small amount of content? It's not because "FF14 made all this other content" ... FF14 has NOTHING to do with the amount of content being released in this game or the amount od resourcing it gets.

If people want to play because it's "Star Wars" fine. But they are getting a heck of a lot (by a long margin) for their money than anywhere else.

That sentence implies we get more here for our money if I'm read it right? Might want to rethink that one?

Now you even go as far as to imply people only play or are happy to play and pay because it's "star wars". Again - people will pay and play if they are happy with their product ( or just gluttons for punishment as many people seem to be on the forums ) - it's that simple.

Finally, I love you point out the hypocrisy as you mention how much you enjoy the game, yet are here posting responses the forums. If you were enjoying it so much then shouldn't you be in game?

I'm posting responses on a forum for a game I enjoy yes. The game I am paying for. I get my monies worth from it, hell posting rights could be considered some of the joy I get and part of me getting my monies worth. ;)

You are paying to post about how great some other game is and instead of spending time in the time in that game or it's community you seem to be dead set to come here and tell everyone how great it is ( even though you are here ).

Maybe you are part of a new marketing strategy, make people annoyed enough with your product and they'll pay just to complain? ;)

Eric and Tait have always been rather erratic in communications with the forum... sometimes better, sometimes worse, never really excellent. I put the cause in this part to them both, at best, only treating the forum and communications as a whole as a part time effort, and even then... most often with reactive communications.

But even if Eric and Tait were much more attentive and proactive in communications.. they would still get crucified by some players.. because the player base is diverse in nature and needs, and pretty much any change or addition to the game is going to please some and piss off others.

Never forget that Eric and Tait are bound by corporate policy regarding communications. If your boss told you to not post information publicly, would you? No, you likely wouldn't. But you are right, no matter what Eric and Tait say, they are still publicly crucified by the toxic community that has sadly become swtor.

As I recall there used to be patches (2.4 for example) where we got 2 full ops and a daily area, now they have to break their backs working over 5 months just to deliver a single operation piecemeal-style. Don't exactly have high hopes for ME Andromeda if this is how Bioware does things now lol

The answer to your question is relatively straight forward imo -- this game has been the victim of a corporate acquisition :(

During development Bioware was sold to EA. Due to pre-arranged/approved production time-lines EA likely let BW go on as originally intended and told the staff "it's ok, you keep moving on like nothing has changed". Then after seeing the numbers drop etc, EA stepped in, essentially fired the whole team and presented the "new vision" for swtor. Like many corporations that are sold to the bigger fish, the grassroots, home grown corporation that was Bioware is now a disjointed "we must obey the 'man' even if it means our player base suffers" type of corporation that is struggling to hold onto it's original revolutionary story-telling identity; all while trying to please the shareholders and the player-base. The end result is a toxic player community that spams grump-o-grams on the forums. :eek:;)

It sucks, and in many ways, I think the sale to EA was just bad timing for this game. But if you review the dev tracker and see the communication dates since launch you will see a steady improvement communications wise. However, the unspoken presentation over the last 3 years have come across as "OMG the sky is falling, we need an idea to solve our problems now!! Tell the Dev team there is no time to test for bugs! We are in panic mode here. Just roll it out to production!!!" ;)

Both the player base and EA/Bioware need to understand that sometimes, delivering new content in stages is better for the development team as well as the player base. While I am concerned the new OPS will be disjointed in appearance upon completion, I would rather a single properly developed boss fight than a series of untested buggy fights that result in the boss killing himself (*cough* Fractured) and the community of players being told they are exploiting due to lack of development time.

“A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad.”

~ Shigeru Miyamoto (Nintendo video game designer)

Edited by Baby-Girl

Businesses in the U.S. for the most part have a really bad habit of working with skeleton crews in my personal experience. It's not common for businesses here to treat their workers like actual people, and hours/budget are always being cut. :jawa_evil: Edited by Technologica

Most of the poor decisions such as gearing grind changes cost zero dollars and take 5 mins to change a few numbers, not correcting it is inexcusable and the game has clearly been less populated over the last 2 weeks, fleet is thinner, Odessen is thinner and queues are taking longer and seeing the same people more often. Waiting "till April" is not a option for most.

There's a huge void with millions of MMO gamers waiting for a MMO that steps up to the plate and delivers.
That never happens. Ever. MMO gamers do not reward innovation or creativity. We consume the content in any new game within the first month then complain there's not enough to do. Then we move on to the next game.

The reason this genre is failing is because of us. We don't want something new and original. We want WoW clones then complain that everything is a WoW clone.

Edited by Lium

There have probably been people who were transferred from Bioware Austin to the studio up north. Casey Hudson parlayed his successful time with Bioware into being creative director for Microsoft's gaming division- a huge step up for him. I know that with him, a lot of other people left to pursue other opportunities. The Mass Effect franchise was- and hopefully still will be- a hugely successful franchise, and after putting out a great trilogy, that meant that the production team were in line for raises and promotion. EA and Bioware couldn't do all of them, so they had some people leave. That left both internal and external spots to fill, and with Andromeda's arrival time dwindling, I am sure that some support was pulled from Bioware Austin.

Seeing some of the posts describing what other MMO's are dropping content-wise, it's very disappointing in comparison. I am a story player- a huge Star Wars fan and never really going to group with anyone, or play another MMO that isn't in the Star Wars universe- but we need varied content for this game to keep going. I am surprised that a game with this kind of clout can't keep up with other games in it's genre as far as content.

People will play and pay for what they find enjoyable. There is only so much time in the world and with the HUNDREDS of hours of solo content in this game it doesn't matter how much more FF14 has or doesn't have up until the point you rinse through that and start finding this experience unenjoyable.

This is me for sure, I've been subscribed since shortly after release, and I have yet to complete all of the single player campaigns. Yet I enjoy the game immensely and want to get content for everyone. I do wonder what percentage of the current subscriber base are like me, who don't have much interest in grouping, etc? That could be a driving force for them.

One last thing.......I can not stand the past two releases. If I wanted a linear single-player gaming experience, I'd be playing Halo or Call of Duty for it. I do not like the KOTFE or KOTET linear chapters at all.

Summer 2015 Ben became producer. Them we had KotFE and it's attempt to keep people subbed and then KOtET where they admitted that didn't work, so they added the grind from hell and back to the KotFE model for the operation. (...)

At this point, I have the impression that you are a former BW employee who had different plans / thoughts about the game and left the team because of disagreeing. Or you had applied for Ben's job as well and are grumpy that he was chosen. I do NOT say that this is the case. I just say that to me you sound exactly like this. Why else would you have such a personal grudge at Ben? You are getting personal at him all the time.

I personally perceive you as a very unfriendly person as you openly ask for someone else to get fired. In my opinion, no matter how much you are unsatisfied with something, you should not ask for someone to get fired. Do you want to see him destroyed? Lose his job, money, family, home? Who knows what would happen to him if he loses his job? Would it make you happy if this would happen? Being critical, yes. Getting personal, no!

I'm not exactly a master of economics here but doesn't more resources = more content = more subs = more money?

As I recall there used to be patches (2.4 for example) where we got 2 full ops and a daily area, now they have to break their backs working over 5 months just to deliver a single operation piecemeal-style. (...)

If I am not mistaken, (almost) all new content up to Oricon was already prepared BEFORE the actual game's launch. Especially Makeb. They just tweaked it, changed some things and finished it. You notice the first real big change in the game with Shadows of Revan.

I think that everything we see nowadays is still the after effect of what happened in 2012 with the lay-offs and whatnot.

Ben and his minions destroyed the Game. Its not personal - its just the truth. So yes - exchange of management could help to bring the Game back and get more Subscribers.

What if they were dealing with pressures from management outside of their office? Bioware has a not so little game due out in less than two months, as well as answering to EA.

Now, I will say that the focus on microtransactions in this game is something EA is probably pushing. Ever since they implemented the trading card game in Madden, they've seen that microtransactions will make them a lot of profit for not a lot of work. This is also something that mobile gaming has brought to the table- sure, you can play the game for free, grind to eventually unlock everything, or pay to unlock the cool stuff that much quicker.

Gaming all around is not what it once was, some of it's good, but in my mind, a lot of it's bad. Microtransactions happen to be something I hate with a passion.

Gaming all around is not what it once was, some of it's good, but in my mind, a lot of it's bad. Microtransactions happen to be something I hate with a passion.

i'm with you on that point. it destroyes every joy in gameing.

but for example: in DOTA 2 at the beginning, you received every now and then some nice looks for ur heroes. u could also buy looks from packs wich were RNG, but in the same time u could play the game and get a box during events also with rng outcomes but in the same range with droprates..

today its less to get through playing the game something, but u still can buy it and get it through playing.

but in the end the game is totaly F2P in any ways. so from time to time to spent and donate them and give them kudos is ok for me.

but not here. at the beginning u got some real good drops out of packages, with good drop rates.

todays packs are bigger with a minimal possibility to get the best things out and on top they put additional boxes in with RNG for older stuff :p

so you have to pay for RNG packages with low drop rates, and a occasion to get a new box from a box were both have RNG on it.:eek:

and now to trabble. if u dont like to talk/discuss on a factual level and rather be on a spleeing emotional trip, then a discussion on this part is nothing for ya :p

That never happens. Ever. MMO gamers do not reward innovation or creativity. We consume the content in any new game within the first month then complain there's not enough to do. Then we move on to the next game.

The reason this genre is failing is because of us. We don't want something new and original. We want WoW clones then complain that everything is a WoW clone.

I was going to say something similar but you summed it up nicely. Every MMO forum has these know-it-alls. "If this game did X it'd be the best, most popular, biggest money making game ever." Where X = whatever thing that poster likes/wants. Not necessarily what the game needs, but tailor the game to me and I"m telling you you'll be rich and all the gamers in the world will love you forever and ever.

I think they have so few resources because they squandered away their subscribers over the years by making poor design and development decisions.

Bw themselves said that made the mistake of not having enough end game at launch and relying to much on this mammoth amount of story to keep players busy.

They failed in that thinking which cause massive sub loss and one of the fastest change overs to F2P in the history of gaming.

They tried to get back on target but the damage was done combined with the amount of bugs they had in game and the ones never fixed. As well as getting away from class stories and going one story for all. Gamers were sold on class stories not the one for all story. That caused more to not like the direction of the game.

It all turned around a bit but a little to late, to little when SoR came around and it had a bit of everything. While things started looking better we were once gain plagued with bugs and exploits but something even worse. BW doing nothing for so long about those exploits combined with BW lies about OPs content saying they will never go another 11 months without an OPS.

Turns out they will go nearly 3 years without one as well as ffalling back on their first mistakes when the game launched. Their over reliance on story content to the detriment of the game once again as they fail to update end game. Expecting gamers to continue to run extremely old content as if any normal amount of gamers have ever praised rehashed content.

Over the years bw has failed to many times on too many fronts. GC and RNG being the latest ones. Adding in this massive grind unlike SW has ever seen is another. Trying to fix terrible RNG with more bad RNG is just another. Sure, they get somethings right and parts of the story are not bad but parts are also terrible. Their reliance on extremely old content is a bad move just as it is in any game.

They have few resources and staff because of poor management. They continue to produce a mediocre product through poor content cadence and if this was not a SW product which people feel attached to, things around here would be worse than what they are now.

Edited by Quraswren

Can't deny they have made some odd choices, the latest being so slow to do anything to fix the rng and CXP issue. If there plan is to wait for as many people to quit over it as possible before fixing it, they are doing a fine job.

But that is only the last in a long line of choices possible going all the way back to launch, when they introduced a space fantasy game with on rails pve shooter. If you want to find a style of game play than no traditional fantasy MMO can offer its a Jump to Light Speed style space sim.

But from here they start a long process of introducing something only to utterly ignore it moments after its launched or at best pay it lip service and then wonder why people aren't encouraged by the 'new content' starting with 1.2 Legacy in which you would be able to build your family legacy only to be relegated to some minor xp buffs that are few and far between.

Culminating in galactic supply crates that seem to have little real purpose other than to get orange junk and companion gifts, Eternal Championship relegated to decorations, GSF that has all but been left to die, GSH which have seen no new locations since Yavin (3.0), reputation vendors and specialist coms (i.e. Ziost) all which offer ugly cosmetic gear. Nearly everything they do, is done in the cheapest possible way and then ditched as the apparent lack of any substance becomes clear to the players.