3.3 and why it was patched in (Devs and Musco should read since they forgot)

Lhancelot

LOL. At the time you are talking about the game was all but dead. The mistakes: Random gear, limited end game content, all story, poor planning, poor communication, failing to listen to feedback.

Sound familiar?

they can only stick to the largest part of the community.

now that raiders,pvpers and now casuals are pissed of and maybe closed the door, guess who is the next larger part in the game ?? RIGHT, its the cartellshoppers :p

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.... new leadership, steps backwards. Why does this feel familiar?

And he doesn't bother even researching the game he is taking over or listen to his players.

I've worked for people like that. They come in with all these ideas that may have worked else where, but won't work where you are. They refuse to listen to reason and ultimately 3 things happen, they get fired, staff leave, or customers leave.

So at the moment it's just the customers leaving the company. How long till staff start to leave because they can see a sinking ship. Then how long till that person gets fired or worse for us, the game gets shut down completely.

Two companies I worked for went under because of bad management like this. In the end I started my own company and i was able to get all my old clients back because they had been loyal to me and not the company as it went under.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

LOL. At the time you are talking about the game was all but dead. The mistakes: Random gear, limited end game content, all story, poor planning, poor communication, failing to listen to feedback.

Sound familiar?

Except a few PvP servers were very very busy and the busiest servers in the game: that is my point.

Note that servers were in worse shape before cxp in Oct than they are now.

Except a few PvP servers were very very busy and the busiest servers in the game: that is my point.

In worse shape really ? You play on every server to be able to claim that ? Because I could tell a completely different story about my server... :rolleyes:

Your own experience is not THE experience of every players. :)

Bastion is dead and buried as a group content server, wether it's pvp or pve group content. It was bad before 5.0 and its just as bad or worse. It's hard to tell because I couldn't get pvp pops before 5.0 and I can't get them after.

In worse shape really ? You play on every server to be able to claim that ? Because I could tell a completely different story about my server... :rolleyes:

Your own experience is not THE experience of every players. :)

I check pops and activity on most NA servers - I have a lot of characters spread out. JM and PoT5 have more people on them than they did - tbe numbers aren't high or playable but they're better. TEH has higher fleet and planetary instance pops than it did. BC has gone from nearly dead to a solid lightly pop'd. Harbinger is also busier than it was. JC and SL may have dropped a bit but that could just be some pvp qs. Ranked pvp, the one activity we have hard numbers on, has had it's busiest season in years. I was curious how much of a bump we'd get from 5.0 and while it wasn't much of one that I could see, the servers were in really bad shape in Oct '16.

Bastion is dead and buried as a group content server, wether it's pvp or pve group content. It was bad before 5.0 and its just as bad or worse. It's hard to tell because I couldn't get pvp pops before 5.0 and I can't get them after.

Yup. All the servers save for Harbinger, TRE, TEH, and maybe Shadowlands and JC have been like that since late 2014, around the time they started with 12XP some time in late 2014 IIRC and then finally implementing discounted transfers in 2015.

Edited by Talon_strikes

I check pops and activity on most NA servers - I have a lot of characters spread out. JM and PoT5 have more people on them than they did - tbe numbers aren't high or playable but they're better. TEH has higher fleet and planetary instance pops than it did. BC has gone from nearly dead to a solid lightly pop'd. Harbinger is also busier than it was. JC and SL may have dropped a bit but that could just be some pvp qs. Ranked pvp, the one activity we have hard numbers on, has had it's busiest season in years. I was curious how much of a bump we'd get from 5.0 and while it wasn't much of one that I could see, the servers were in really bad shape in Oct '16.

A lot of the server bump, which is minor, has been from story focused players. You may see more people on a fleet, but that doesn't mean they are group players.

I can't talk for the east coast as I don't play there, but on the west coast, Harbinger is the only server you can get group play on and is probably the busiest server in the game for all aspects of play

The sad thing is if you were to go back 3 years, they would have considered the current Harbinger population and group activities as being low population and may have slated the server for merges. Now it's considered the standard for an active server. It really is sad 😢

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Just going to post this here, I posted it in the PVP section also. Thanks to Aceite for finding the 3.3 patch notes.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/pvp-economy-and-ranked-rewards-restructure-game-update-3.3

Below is what was written by SWTOR devs regarding 3.3

Essentially what Snave and others are pointing out is that the grind should not be frontloaded for gears as it is.

In 3.3, they understood this and even talk in length on why they made the early sets of PVP gears easier to get.

They said to get the dark reaver set, yes it would take longer but at least with the entry level gear set it would be easy for players to get their foot in the door and participate without too large of a gear gap between themselves and those in top tier PVP gears.

I just want to know, how in 2 years time a dev team goes from being logical to totally illogical regarding gearing?

3.3 also included more options to move accrued comms through legacy making it so the players had more freedom and choices with how they spent their winnings, essentially enabling them to gear their alts easier.

All of the fun aspects of the gearing system have been stripped away and replaced with a very inconsistent gearing system relying on RNG and a heavy grind mechanic now.

This is stupid, and an awful direction to take the game. Period. This company knows it too.

Just 2 years ago they patched in huge changes at the time to make the gearing system better, yet now they revert back to a system they themselves removed due to being too grindy!

Wow, these notes on the 3.3 update just put a smile on my face and it felt like a fresh breath of air. I almost jumped for joy until I remembered that 5.0 gutted and reked everything exciting about 3.3.

Raise the return rate of this gear grind by 8-12 times and get the grind back to where it was. There is a cure for the cancer and the toxic environment. And the good news is, that it is a simple fix. Raise the return.

We don't need a tweak, we need a full baseball bat swing at the return.

Learn from 3.3 or learn from 5.0 and 5.1. The choice is yours.

They are better now than October, but heading there fast. They are just over half of what they were this time last year, that's the telling stat. We are a month closer to the expansion and servers are running at Standard just over half of what they were a year ago. (And since "light" is as low as they register, we don't know how many servers have a handful of people on them now instead of a few hundred.)

Well, people make interesting points and have interesting theories on why the devs put in 5.0 and 5.1 which totally destroyed all of the dev work they did in 3.3.

3.3 made gear grinding for pvp gears much more palatable and they even explained why, if you check out the 3.3 patch notes I posted in the original post here.

What kind of logic is it, where 2 years ago it was understood PVP and grinding for the entry gear sets doesn't work and only discourages people more?

2 years ago they understood it made better sense to make it so entry level gear sets were more easily gained that way those newly entering PVP were on a more even ground with those sporting top tier gear sets.

They also made it so you could transfer currency used to buy PVP gears, mods, heal packs, adrenals, etc. between your different characters which meant we had more freedom to play more characters. That was good.

Less flexibility and less options is BAD.

Lengthy gear grinding for entry gear sets with bonuses on them is BAD.

Weaker bolster making the disparity between gears even more pronounced is BAD.

Making RNG the primary method to obtain gears is BAD.

Fixing things that aint broke is BAD.

5.0 and 5.1 added nothing but frustration and ruination to a perfectly fine working gearing system. End of story.

5.0 and 5.1 have been complete reversals of everything they did good in 3.3...and it has been very damaging to the game.

Very good post Lhancelot (the original and this one).

Edited by TUXs

Unless you spend you're whole life checking every server, you can't possibly be able to judge the real state of these. Check one for a few minutes isn't enough. Do you check different servers at different hours on a same day to get a real view ? And then check every activities and so ??

I agree that you can speak for a server you spend a lot of time on everyday, but if you think checking a server is enough to judge, your're doing it wrong. Populations is not the same on different days, hours, it would be a full time job to be able to give an objective view on population of every servers.

And about servers who seems to look better in term of population, don't forget that a lot of people have transfered from dying servers and keep doing so, they're not new players and that doesn't increase the global population. Players are concentrating on a few servers, so yes, population may go up on these, and go down on others.

Edited by RswanBing

Unless you spend you're whole life checking every server, you can't possibly be able to judge the real state of these. Check one for a few minutes isn't enough. Do you check different servers at different hours on a same day to get a real view ? And then check every activities and so ??

I agree that you can speak for a server you spend a lot of time on everyday, but if you think checking a server is enough to judge, your're doing it wrong. Populations is not the same on different days, hours, it would be a full time job to be able to give an objective view on population of every servers.

And about servers who seems to look better in term of population, don't forget that a lot of people have transfered from dying servers and keep doing so, they're not new players and that doesn't increase the global population. Players are concentrating on a few servers, so yes, population may go up on these, and go down on others.

What he said is accurate. Anyone who plays on those servers would agree. It is no secret the populations of the servers besides The Harbinger and The Red Eclipse. Compared to those 2 servers all other servers are sub par and not is very good health for group content. It is just a matter of how bad they are sub par. Is it a server that has zero chance of geeting group content like POT5 etc etc or is just unhealthy to the degree that the only chance of getting group content would be during prime time for a short span of time. Either way it is unhealthy and sub par. The only question is how unhealthy each server is. And that fact is unacceptable. The development team needs to do something to allow group content beyond prime time. IE server to server queue system or creating mega servers or forced server mergers. But to leave the game the way it is, is ridicules and only goes from bad to worse at a higher rate of speed.

Don't try to make it some secret that the servers are unhealthy besides the 2 mentioned above. Because it is no secret to anyone who plays on them or knows anything about the state of this game.

Surprised the forum Knights haven't chimed in yet to defend their precious EAWare and slander the OP.

Even the White Knight had to blush over this 5.0 5.1 mess.

When even your White Knights wont come out to defend you, you know you made a mess of things. And make no mistake about it, this grind attached to this new gearing system is an absolute mess. And that is putting it as nicely as humanly possible.

Raise the returns to 8-12 times of what it is now and you have a win win gearing system. Tweak it or leave it the way it is and you have the biggest loser this game has ever seen since launch baring nothing.

Its an easy fix developers, drastically raise the returns and the toxic environment leaves immediately.

QUOTE=MaximumOwnage;9227432]Don't try to make it some secret that the servers are unhealthy besides the 2 mentioned above. Because it is no secret to anyone who plays on them or knows anything about the state of this game. Edited by RswanBing

Will this actually mean anything for pvp or is it just more smoke and mirrors

Hey folks,

In one of my previous posts I highlighted that beyond the changes we made in Game Update 5.1 that there are more coming. By Friday of this week I am going to make a forum post highlighting a roadmap of changes you can expect to address the feedback you have raised around gearing in Galactic Command. These changes will be starting in the next few weeks and will go through to Game Update 5.2. They are intended to address the following:

• Greatly increase the rate at which you earn Command Crates. Our goal is that you earn one Crate every 30 minutes, or less (on average).
  • Looking at improvements we can make to Unassembled Components and Unassembled Pieces.
  • Make gearing more alt-friendly.

That isn't a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea of some of the things we are looking to address based on your feedback. Just in case I was quiet about Galactic Command for a few days I want you to know that we are listening and more changes are coming. Look for my post later this week!

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Big problem. Gearing while playing ops is more faster than pvp right now. Yesterday, after the 2 hours of ops 8HM, french guild (4 ppl in grp) with their group leader had change master looting and did remove leitenant rank on rest 4ppl before the roll at the end. We got nothing. They got MK15 components, void catalysts, isttotopes, piece of gear. And "goodbye, hahaha". As a pvp player i have dissapoint and rage. Friendly gameplay and easy gearing in 5.1? Did u want it BW after the 5years?

.:t_evil:

Edited by Mega_Fallos